Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

:stare:

Furthermore, it is my opinion that Sean Payton must be fired.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

CJacobs posted:

edit: By the way, if I want my campaign to have an intro video or cinematic of some kind... how would I go about implementing that? Can there be a map00??
Define an episode in MAPINFO...

code:
clearepisodes

episode MAP00
{
   name = "The Devil's Tattoo"
}
Then add and define a MAP00 as appropriate. In-engine cutscenes can be done using ACS and camera actors.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Thank you, mister wizard! :tipshat: I'll bookmark this for whenever I feel confident enough to make cinematics.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Marc Laidlaw (he of Valve for many years) has been spending his retirement days digging through his archives and digitising old stories and writings for re-release. Yesterday he uploaded two things related to Half-Life that you may find interesting.

Mathoms from the Lambda Files, a set sketches of the encounter with the Nihilanth from the summer of 1998 to try and inspire level designers who may have even read it at some point.

Writing for Half-Life, a ungiven talk about the game's development written on the day after it shipped, discussing how he joined the team, how HL1's then-unique implementation of narrative was introduced, and various topics in-between.

manero
Jan 30, 2006

The Kins posted:

Marc Laidlaw (he of Valve for many years) has been spending his retirement days digging through his archives and digitising old stories and writings for re-release. Yesterday he uploaded two things related to Half-Life that you may find interesting.

Mathoms from the Lambda Files, a set sketches of the encounter with the Nihilanth from the summer of 1998 to try and inspire level designers who may have even read it at some point.

Writing for Half-Life, a ungiven talk about the game's development written on the day after it shipped, discussing how he joined the team, how HL1's then-unique implementation of narrative was introduced, and various topics in-between.

Nice read. I just played through HL1 and am working my way through HL2. It's a shame we'll probably never get HL3 :(

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

manero posted:

Nice read. I just played through HL1 and am working my way through HL2. It's a shame we'll probably never get HL3 :(

At this point, I'd settle for a Laidlaw-penned novel. Not kidding.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

At this point, I'd settle for a Laidlaw-penned novel. Not kidding.
People emailed him a lot about this (or comics or some other non-game continuation) when he was still at Valve. As I recall, he was very very not big on the idea for a variety of reasons that mostly boiled down to the Half-Life story being a bit crap when divorced from the game that it's woven into and developed alongside.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
It'd be pretty weird to try and write a book around a protagonist who has no thoughts whatsoever and doesn't talk at all.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
I wouldn't be as annoyed if Episode 2 didn't end on a giant cliffhanger. I mean Half-Life 2 ends with the Citadel in mid-destruction and you put into stasis. Provides closure and a callback to the ending of the first game. I'd be happy if the series ended here. Episode 1 ends with the evacuation of City 17 and the total destruction of the Citadel and the city. Again, closure and a probably fitting ending as an epilogue to HL2. I'd still be happy if it stopped here. But Episode 2 tells you about the Borealis, Mossman being on your side, apparently these two plot points are key to once and for all eliminating the combine, Eli dies... and it just ends. There's no closure, just a set up for a finale that we'll never get.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I can see those points, Kins and Site, but I still feel it'd be better than the perpetual cliffhanger.

I'd also love it if Portal 3 ended up being released alongside HL3, and you have to play them both to get the full story.

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006
[Insert good English here]

site posted:

It'd be pretty weird to try and write a book around a protagonist who has no thoughts whatsoever and doesn't talk at all.

No thoughts, you say?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I can see those points, Kins and Site, but I still feel it'd be better than the perpetual cliffhanger.

I'd also love it if Portal 3 ended up being released alongside HL3, and you have to play them both to get the full story.

Is there any indication that there's ever going to be a Portal 3?

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

If you actually watch the videos from the AI deathmatch competition it's pretty clear that humans don't have a lot to worry about in the near future.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

Mogomra posted:

Imagine if the Doom Bot's AI broke free from the video game. We'd be doomed. No pun intended.

Ok, maybe a little bit.

Nah just dig a shallow, moderately wide trench around the research facility and it'll be unable to escape.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

CJacobs posted:

edit: By the way, if I want my campaign to have an intro video or cinematic of some kind... how would I go about implementing that? Can there be a map00??

As an alternative to a MAP00 cinematic, you can make a TITLEMAP cinematic.

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

http://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=53202

I can't play this now but goddamn Doom community's creativity is infinite

This looks a lot like Uno Moralezs' work [edit] because it is actually heavily based on man's work and contains at least two pieces of his

laserghost fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Oct 3, 2016

superh
Oct 10, 2007

Touching every treasure
That looks really amazing.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
Have there been any updates on that Blood source port that Kaiser was working on?

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

None, it seems.

Another Doom magician, Xaser, has announced new version of No End In Sight, a mostly vanilla (except few maps) 4-episode Ultimate Doom replacement, with levels done also by Lutz and Natural Tvventy. Looks pretty sweet:

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

I always imagined Freeman as suffering from severe destructive attention disorder or something.

Think about it: What does everyone do during the scene where you first meet Eli in HL2 or pretty much any other part with a long dialogue-heavy cutscene? You jump around and crowbar/throw everything in site until everyone shuts up and you're able to get on with the game.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.

I lasted 20 seconds. Painful.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Mak0rz posted:

I always imagined Freeman as suffering from severe destructive attention disorder or something.

Think about it: What does everyone do during the scene where you first meet Eli in HL2 or pretty much any other part with a long dialogue-heavy cutscene? You jump around and crowbar/throw everything in site until everyone shuts up and you're able to get on with the game.

I was about to link Freeman's Mind in response to this post and then I clicked on the link. :v:

Jblade
Sep 5, 2006

Restrained Crown Posse posted:

I lasted 20 seconds. Painful.
Yeah I've heard it's really good but I couldn't really stomach much past that either, I'm guessing it must get better at some point though because why else is it so popular.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Love Freeman's Mind. The guy who did that series also reviews old and obscure games, including Strife, Wolfenstien 2009, and Deus Ex.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Mak0rz posted:

Bop them on the head with some physics object to make their animation skip to the next beat.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Freeman's Mind is very good. The billion spin offs by other people it spawned are very not good.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Never really put any time into Freeman's Mind, but I really enjoy his other series, Ross's Game Dungeon, so maybe I'd enjoy it if I ever set aside the time to check it out.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
So, I'm getting ready to make CJacobs Guns 2.0 and I don't really know where to start. It's not that I think the guns are perfect or anything, they do need to be made to look better... I just don't know what to do. I looked at those tutorial/speedpaints that were linked earlier and they were cool and all but I guess I didn't get how to apply them to my own art.

How can I make them more Doom-y, thread? (preferably without drawing them from scratch again if I can help it)

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Oct 4, 2016

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

They still look kinda flat and cartoony. Try avoiding those pixel-thin outlines for example. Try to experiment with multiple shades. Check some pixel art tutorials like this one, so you can figure out how to recreate some materials:
https://onimille.tumblr.com/

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

they definitely need way more shading. take the doom pistol, for example. nearly every pixel on it is a different shade than the surrounding ones, barring the shadowed parts.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Maybe it's cuz I'm looking at it on my phone but they all look really blue?

The cylinders on the revolvers look a little oval-y

Two hand grip is cool though I like that

site fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Oct 4, 2016

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Thanks for the tips so far. I guess it's frustrating because Doom does do single-pixel outlines, and frequently at that, but they're anti-aliased in a way I can't really replicate. Doom's sprites aren't drawn like sprites traditionally are so my approach of doing traditional pixel art isn't really working.

site posted:

Maybe it's cuz I'm looking at it on my phone but they all look really blue?

The cylinders on the revolvers look a little oval-y

Two hand grip is cool though I like that

They are, they're supposed to be a grayish-blue. The machine gun is a less gray, darker blue than the rest but I'll probably fix that along the way. The cylinders also have to be oval-shaped because of the way Doom stretches sprites vertically, they're round ingame.

edit: Well, either way, I think I'm going to try making the lighting itself harsher and see if that helps. Lighter lights, darker darks, more contrast in general; because I noticed that Doom's weapons have pretty harsh lighting on them (the lightest shade on the black guns' highlights is still pure white) so maybe that's what I need.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Oct 4, 2016

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Say what you will about Brutal Doom, but it finally dealt with the issue of "Why are the zombie soldiers holding rifles, yet never drop any?" :colbert:

I love Doom forever and always, but gently caress the starter pistol.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Ive been messing around with the default sprites, trying to figure them out before I try make my own or do any serious edits, and man, gently caress their bloody M16s. They block their whole drat torso and I'm already too lazy to draw over them :v:

I do really like the zombieman pistol pose in Brutal Doom, it's very strong.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Anyone know anything about Warsow? Just noticed it in my GOG library and have no idea what it is other than a vaguely Q3-looking FPS.

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off
It's a free multiplayer arena fps with a small player-base, that's all I know, there's some videos online you can check out. It looks a bit like Q3 because it's using the same engine.

Kamrat fucked around with this message at 13:23 on Oct 4, 2016

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

CJacobs posted:

Thanks for the tips so far. I guess it's frustrating because Doom does do single-pixel outlines, and frequently at that, but they're anti-aliased in a way I can't really replicate. Doom's sprites aren't drawn like sprites traditionally are so my approach of doing traditional pixel art isn't really working.
If you want to reproduce this, download Deluxe Paint II. It's really fun to play around with because you get a good sense of how much the art style was influenced by the quirks of this program. Actually using it for artwork in the year 2016 is going to be extremely painful, but you can very easily create something that feels Doomy with it. In your particular case you may have luck with using the gradient line tool to help the guns pop a bit more.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Shoehead posted:

Ive been messing around with the default sprites, trying to figure them out before I try make my own or do any serious edits, and man, gently caress their bloody M16s. They block their whole drat torso and I'm already too lazy to draw over them :v:

I do really like the zombieman pistol pose in Brutal Doom, it's very strong.

Actually forget that, I'm not too lazy

InevitableCheese
Jul 10, 2015

quite a pickle you've got there

Mr. Flunchy posted:

Anyone know anything about Warsow? Just noticed it in my GOG library and have no idea what it is other than a vaguely Q3-looking FPS.

Used to play that crap out of that on the universities computers back when I was taking college classes in high school. We loaded it up on every PC for LAN play after class. Fun game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ytisomauq
Dec 15, 2000

Shoehead posted:

Actually forget that, I'm not too lazy

There's just something awesome about the Doomguy sprite. Nice edit. It's particularly awesome to see the different modifications and new poses people put together.