Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Xenomrph posted:

I impulse-bought a copy of The Evil Within for like $10 for Scary Games Month, did I gently caress up and buy a bad game by mistake?

I absolutely loved it, barring chapter 3, which is annoyingly hard for how early it is. That said, it's a hugely divisive game, so you'll either enjoy the hell out of it or regret being born with working thumbs. There's very little middle ground.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

If I have to give any advice about The Evil Within its to enjoy it for what it is, not what it is trying to be.

It is a fun enough monster shooter survival horror game.

It is not a upgraded version of Resident Evil 4 in plot or design.

smuh
Feb 21, 2011

Outlast 2 demo got released, just played through it. Pretty much the same deal as the first one, if you liked that you'll like outlast 2 whenever the full game gets done. Already saw enough gore that I wasn't sure whether to be grossed out or laugh, and this is from someone who liked the first game a lot when it first got released.

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

smuh posted:

Outlast 2 demo got released, just played through it. Pretty much the same deal as the first one, if you liked that you'll like outlast 2 whenever the full game gets done. Already saw enough gore that I wasn't sure whether to be grossed out or laugh, and this is from someone who liked the first game a lot when it first got released.

Played through it just now. Can't wait till it's a couple of bucks on Steam.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

smuh posted:

Is there any action besides running and hiding, or still just that?

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy
Scariest game I've played yet this month: Typing of the Dead (the old one)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q0NH9XgsP0g

God this was a bitch to get running in windows 10. But really fun game. I could never quite figure out if House of the Dead 1/2 were supposed to actually be scary, I mostly remember them just being goofy with some of the worst voice acting ever seen in games.

Also I'm still playing Until Dawn (part 2 video). I love how cringey the flirting between the different teens is in this game, it's just like real life! I also love how completely I jinxed myself by saying the only thing I'm really afraid of is hypodermic needles, not looking forward to how they work that into the game later.

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002
PROUD MEMBER OF THE RAPIST DEFENSE BRIGADE! DO NOT BE MEAN TO RAPISTS, OR I WILL VOTE FOR THEM WITH EVER INCREASING VIGOR!
Downloading the Outlast 2 demo. I loved the first game. I hope it is just as good.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Jmcrofts posted:

Also I'm still playing Until Dawn (part 2 video). I love how cringey the flirting between the different teens is in this game, it's just like real life!

the bone zone

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

The Vosgian Beast posted:

I liked the angerfish, and I liked a lot of the setpiece puzzles.

The plot is about as deep as the nightmare you'd have after a night of watching old Star Trek stories while remembering a summary of Reasons and Persons, which isn't bad for a horror game, but I guess it sells better with goons than "Boo! Spooky Castle" and "Hey the industrial revolution was pretty hosed, amiright?"

Is there a horror game with a deeper plot? I'm asking honestly, existential horror is pretty outside the mainstream in regular literature, let alone video games, so I'd be interested in playing something with more meaning than "humanity is hosed, be depressed" or "you did something bad and all this stuff is your own guilt trying to kill you."

For the record, I thought it was a good handling of the good ol' fashioned "what makes a human human?" question, which isn't particularly original but is a fun enough thought experiment to be compelling. Though my appreciation might be because I don't read much sci-fi so I'd never seen the subject broached via robots.

Also worth noting my wife, who has impeccable taste, started making jerking off motions whenever Simon waxed philosophical, so maybe I'm just a big dumb dunderhead who is easily amused.

Plot spoilers: I'll admit the whole "humanity is over, is it worth continuing as computer programs?" part of the plot didn't do it for me. I would have preferred if it lingered on the fact that there are at least four Simons over the course of the game, made it more personal.

smuh
Feb 21, 2011

Skyscraper posted:

Is there any action besides running and hiding, or still just that?
Gameplay is exactly the same as before. No combat or anything like that, if you get spotted you run and hide

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

smuh posted:

Gameplay is exactly the same as before. No combat or anything like that, if you get spotted you run and hide

welp

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

SOMA: my issue with it is it's not "my story." I couldn't stand the protagonist. Same reason I soured on Layers of Fear. People keep mentioning they liked the anglerfish? If a robot version of myself ended up stuck in the deep ocean, I'd be overjoyed at the opportunity to explore. I just can't relate enough to the player character to enjoy the experience.

Oh, and I couldn't get Miasmata because I have a Mac. :(

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
Playing through Silent Hill 2, this is the first time I've played the HD remaster, and I can't much tell the difference, if anything it draws attention to the short draw distance. I'm only halfway through the first apartment building, so very early. What is the consensus on the old versus new voices for the HD?

What is really standing out is that the low fidelity of the graphics. Everything is fuzzy and blurred. Rather than being a negative this adds to the surreal atmosphere of the town. I'm playing while my girlfriend studies/watches netflix, but I'm showing her the cut scenes and set pieces, which I also did with the first area of The Last of Us. She's had a more visceral reaction to Silent Hill, even though she has been less engaged with the story. The static and blur creates a queasiness that really makes this game shine, even though the level design and other control mechanics feel clunky.

Seeing Pyramid Head for the first couple times is still a gut punch.

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

Big Mad Drongo posted:

For the record, I thought it was a good handling of the good ol' fashioned "what makes a human human?" question, which isn't particularly original but is a fun enough thought experiment to be compelling. Though my appreciation might be because I don't read much sci-fi so I'd never seen the subject broached via robots.

It is a fun thought experiment, but the thoughtfulness is marred by some jackass popping in the room every few minutes to put in his two cents. It wouldn't be so bad if Simon went through a character arc the player can identify with, but the character is dull as dishwater and the emotional climax at the end of the game is predicated on him being an idiot who doesn't understand/is in denial of something that's been explained to him multiple times.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Oscar Wild posted:

Playing through Silent Hill 2, this is the first time I've played the HD remaster, and I can't much tell the difference, if anything it draws attention to the short draw distance. I'm only halfway through the first apartment building, so very early. What is the consensus on the old versus new voices for the HD?

What is really standing out is that the low fidelity of the graphics. Everything is fuzzy and blurred. Rather than being a negative this adds to the surreal atmosphere of the town. I'm playing while my girlfriend studies/watches netflix, but I'm showing her the cut scenes and set pieces, which I also did with the first area of The Last of Us. She's had a more visceral reaction to Silent Hill, even though she has been less engaged with the story. The static and blur creates a queasiness that really makes this game shine, even though the level design and other control mechanics feel clunky.

Seeing Pyramid Head for the first couple times is still a gut punch.

I think the consensus of the internet was "gently caress THE HD VERSION AND THE NEW VOICES ARE poo poo!" Although I played SH2 in the HD remaster with the new voices because the original James bugged me for some reason. The controls are clunky as hell but I actually found them fairly charming when I played. Granted I had also just run through the first and third SH games prior so I was already set for "Tank rear end tank controls"

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

dijon du jour posted:

It is a fun thought experiment, but the thoughtfulness is marred by some jackass popping in the room every few minutes to put in his two cents. It wouldn't be so bad if Simon went through a character arc the player can identify with, but the character is dull as dishwater and the emotional climax at the end of the game is predicated on him being an idiot who doesn't understand/is in denial of something that's been explained to him multiple times.

I always read it as his programming preventing him from fully understanding the truth because of the whole "stress makes you either explode or go banana smoothies" thing. It's not really Simon's fault he's a moron, it's just that's the balance of awareness and ignorance necessary to not explode like everyone else did.

Good point keep talkin
Sep 14, 2011

Started up Alien Isolation again for October and can't get over how good that title screen is.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Went through Outlast 2 demo, devs still want their crotch gore.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

plz dont pull out posted:

Started up Alien Isolation again for October and can't get over how good that title screen is.

With the gas giant and the eerie music? That poo poo is loving fantastic, I could stare at it for hours. :stare:

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Xenomrph posted:

With the gas giant and the eerie music? That poo poo is loving fantastic, I could stare at it for hours. :stare:

It's perfect. That massive space station is still tiny, tiny, tiny compared to the gas giant, and you're even tinier. Space is a big place, and you're lost in it.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
I am about halfway through the game right now and loving every moment of it. So many great, intense alien moments I can barely believe I survived.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Yardbomb posted:

Went through Outlast 2 demo, devs still want their crotch gore.

I'll give Red Barrels credit for being one of the only developers to go full bore into male fears of emasculation.

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog

GlyphGryph posted:

I am about halfway through the game right now and loving every moment of it. So many great, intense alien moments I can barely believe I survived.

Alien: Isolation remains one of my favorite triple-A horror games, alien-related or not. The dynamic between the player, the environment, and the creature has a tremendous amount of depth to it, whether it's the metroid-lite gadget-based exploration, the careful management of noise/activity, or the "adaptability" of the alien itself. Most of all I enjoy the fact that the game gives you a multitude of options for avoiding danger. Gang of looters in your way? Fog up the room. Creature lurking around the corner? Chuck a flare past his view and solid-snake past. Joes got you down? Give em' a taste of homemade EMP's and a side helping of wrench to the dome.

That said, Isolation is also one of those games that could really benefit from a "subsistence/director's cut" re-release. I'd kill for a version with an expanded Sevatapol, improved enemy behaviors, And a final 3rd of the game that doesn't drag on so much. Aaand maybe fix the fact that all the npcs you talk to in the game have the body language and facial expressions of robots (not counting the actual robots).

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

1stGear posted:

I'll give Red Barrels credit for being one of the only developers to go full bore into male fears of emasculation.

Ehh not a fan, to at least some part in Whistleblower it used that in a way that could be taken pretty bad. Like the whole thing's already "Craaaazy and disfigured people are scary", but then the entire bit where that came into play added in some weird, at least unintentional feeling, almost gay panic and fear of 'feminization' poo poo too. In the 2 demo it just happens, but it still makes me end up remembering they spun out a whole scene of dick torture in the first one already and all I can do is kind of sigh at it.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I want to play Alien Isolation for spooktober but that game stresses me out so badly I'm not sure I can, nothing else really effects me that badly, just that one game for some reason.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Can we talk about Overblood

Overblood isn't very scary, but I like it

It's adorable and cute and interesting

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Yardbomb posted:

Ehh not a fan, to at least some part in Whistleblower it used that in a way that could be taken pretty bad. Like the whole thing's already "Craaaazy and disfigured people are scary", but then the entire bit where that came into play added in some weird, at least unintentional feeling, almost gay panic and fear of 'feminization' poo poo too. In the 2 demo it just happens, but it still makes me end up remembering they spun out a whole scene of dick torture in the first one already and all I can do is kind of sigh at it.

Yeah it feels gross and edgy in a vaguely homophobic way

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

Too Shy Guy posted:

In case you want to nab this for $3 and change in the next 8 hours, here is everything I can think to say about it.

1. DISTRAINT
2. Shadowgate

3. Miasmata

The design of Miasmata's monster made me lose all interest in this game forever. In that environment, maybe it could survive as a scavenger, but as a predator it's guaranteed to die of starvation.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
I've not played Outlast but getting your dick cut off is a horrifying notion to any dude full stop. How does it play into "feminization"?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Drunken Baker posted:

I've not played Outlast but getting your dick cut off is a horrifying notion to any dude full stop. How does it play into "feminization"?

The person trying to cut your dick off is a serial killer who's trying to turn his male victims into female brides.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

Drunken Baker posted:

In the Whistleblower DLC (huge gore/shock moment spoilers and apologies if I get details wrong, it's been a while since I've seen the game) there is a character in the latter half of the game that you discover is forcibly feminizing fellow escaped inmates via castration, but you discover what he's doing by rounding a corner and finding a corpse that's been given crude breasts and had their abdomen cut open as if to resemble pregnancy and MAY have a severed head in there? But this character, "The Bridegroom, has a bunch of dialogue about traditional marriage and how you're going to have children together and so on. It's so gnarly I've seen LPers censor it.

Outlast, or as I like to subtitle it, "Sexual Menace/Violence as a Horror Trope, LET'S SEE HOW YOU GUYS LIKE IT FOR A CHANGE" Not that the first appearance of women in Outlast fare much better, frankly.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
Dang! I've only ever heard snippets (poor phrasing there, I guess) of what happens in that game and it's never been more than, "A dude chops your dick off" which is kind of the same level of horrifying as that Aqua Teen episode where the dick-aliens are ripping dicks off...

Any LP'ers who haven't censored it? I have to see it now.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.

Drunken Baker posted:

Dang! I've only ever heard snippets (poor phrasing there, I guess) of what happens in that game and it's never been more than, "A dude chops your dick off" which is kind of the same level of horrifying as that Aqua Teen episode where the dick-aliens are ripping dicks off...

Any LP'ers who haven't censored it? I have to see it now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_NEC-TYjw0

Genuinely actually really good.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Having your penisballs chopped off by a 6 foot 8 dude who then is going to slice you open and then gently caress your gaping wound is pretty unsettling and I don't think its any deeper than that

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

Cheers! I'll watch that when I get home and have me tea.

Kangarookie posted:

Having your penisballs chopped off by a 6 foot 8 dude who then is going to slice you open and then gently caress your gaping wound is pretty unsettling and I don't think its any deeper than that

Yeah, I can't say for certain because I haven't watched it, but I'm 99% positive the horror of getting my nards injured surpasses any other threat or subtext that may come after it.

Keep an eye out for my Outlast clone game coming 2017. It's called, "A dude chases you around a house and tries to smash your bollocks in with a hammer simulator."

an overdue owl
Feb 26, 2012

hoot

I'm gay as hell and I think it's a neat sequence. The body horror part of being a (cis) man having a lethal, hosed up, insane attempt at gender reassignment surgery performed on you is the main deal, not JUST that your getting your dick chopped off. I can see that it could be criticized for being too edgy or whatever, but I don't see the homophobia. I think I've said before in this thread, but Outlast is one of the few pieces of horror media that uses sexual terror and the threat of rape with a male protagonist. It's pretty usual with female protagonists, almost omnipresent.

I can sympathise if you don't think those things should ever really be present though.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Not to play that card, but we have been pointing out the symbolism of sexual violence against women in horror for decades. We can't really sweep it under the rug now that it's being done to dudes.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It's not even that new, one of the most famous scifi horror movies of all time starts with a dude getting an alien cock shoved down his throat.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
I hope it doesn't play out as "too edgy" because it sounds pretty great. There's a thin line I think between horror being truly horrific and being too try-hard.

Sakurazuka posted:

It's not even that new, one of the most famous scifi horror movies of all time starts with a dude getting an alien cock shoved down his throat.

I think the name of the story is "The Madonna" in Clive Barker's "Books of Blood" and that deals with a supernatural force turning dudes into chicks. but it's played out as a far more existential and supernatural way from what I remember.

Not read it in ages.

Drunken Baker fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Oct 5, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

al-azad
May 28, 2009

grate deceiver posted:

The design of Miasmata's monster made me lose all interest in this game forever. In that environment, maybe it could survive as a scavenger, but as a predator it's guaranteed to die of starvation.

Plot twist it's a figment of your fevered imagination.

Kangarookie posted:

You already described the killer's goal as sexual violence which is probably the most exploited fear in media and should be criticized.