Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

New godzilla's got me pumped like

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Got my ticket for 10/12 at The Alamo Draft House in Kansas City. I'm excited.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
Shin Godzilla is pretty great. The second attack is one of my favourites from any kaiju film and I actually enjoyed the human parts. It was like a light weight Armando Iannucci wrote some of it.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

ruddiger posted:

New godzilla's got me pumped like

Half Century War needs to be adapted into a movie ASAP.

Followed by Godzilla in Hell.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
Half Century War is so loving good. My son and I are both big Godzilla fans, but he lives most of the year with his mother. When the collected book came out, I got it for him for xmas, thinking I'd read through it once to find out the story before it became his. As I read it it dawned on me "welp, I guess I'm buying a second copy of this."

It really is the perfect valentine to the entire first fifty years of the series, despite being its own story in its own universe. They even give a jab at the 1998 film. Pay attention to the human villain's name.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

So, there was an excellent Godzilla primer thread here a few years back. I've scoured the archives and I can't find it anywhere. Can anyone locate it?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Spatulater bro! posted:

So, there was an excellent Godzilla primer thread here a few years back. I've scoured the archives and I can't find it anywhere. Can anyone locate it?

It's on the first page of 2013 CineD: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3350308

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

drat, thanks.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Choco1980 posted:

It really is the perfect valentine to the entire first fifty years of the series, despite being its own story in its own universe. They even give a jab at the 1998 film. Pay attention to the human villain's name.

One of my favorite parts of GMK is near the beginning, they make an offhand remark about a recent monster attack in New York that the Americans claim was Godzilla, but Japanese scientists are sure it wasn't.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

turn left hillary!! noo posted:

One of my favorite parts of GMK is near the beginning, they make an offhand remark about a recent monster attack in New York that the Americans claim was Godzilla, but Japanese scientists are sure it wasn't.

Godzilla 2000 did this too I think. Or whichever one it was that came out after Zilla.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
https://twitter.com/hakuou_nurakura/status/783280910980386818

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I'm really surprised to find out that Zilla (American version from 98) has quite a following. I thought it'd mostly been mocked / ignored and then forgotten after 2014 came long.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Godzilla 2000 did this too I think. Or whichever one it was that came out after Zilla.

GMK was 2001 and G2K was 1999 I think; it was probably in the can before they had time to judge the American film. It's been a long time since I've seen either, though.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today

well why not posted:

I'm really surprised to find out that Zilla (American version from 98) has quite a following.

News to me, though there's a decent monster movie in there buried under all the idiotic crapola.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Bimmi posted:

News to me, though there's a decent monster movie in there buried under all the idiotic crapola.

The last time I saw it, I was in the hospital and high as a kite on painkillers, but I seem to recall it being a halfway decent movie up until the point where they get to Madison Square Garden, when it becomes a 30-minute raptor chase sequence.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Here's the only good thing related to the Zilla movie:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WIUAC03YMlA

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

I liked Jean Reno in that movie, but then again, I like Jean Reno in most things.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Timby posted:

The last time I saw it, I was in the hospital and high as a kite on painkillers, but I seem to recall it being a halfway decent movie up until the point where they get to Madison Square Garden, when it becomes a 30-minute raptor chase sequence.

the 30 minute raptor chase was the only part i liked, i wish it had been all that and less playing peek-a-boo in the city with a 100 foot tall monster

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

The thing is, I think even making it a Godzilla film in the first place was the source of a lot of bad will. If someone said in 1998 that the big summer movie was going to be about a giant iguana wreaking havoc on New York, and didn't mention Big G, it'd probably be noticeably more popular. Instead, they called it Godzilla, and overlooked the fact that people had been kinda watching the series for decades and had a set expectation with that name, which was not at all met.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Iirc didn't it come out a few years ago that 98 was pitched as a much more traditional Godzilla movie, but toho refused to let them either use any of the classic monsters or create new ones?

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
It needed a heavy script pass or three and less terrible casting, but you could do that while keeping the same basic characters and story beats, call it "The Beast from 20,000 Fathoms," and it might have been perfectly acceptable. As it sits it is one of the most aggressively stupid movies I've ever paid money to see, never mind the question of whether it's a real Godzilla movie or not.

Bimmi fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Oct 5, 2016

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
I rewatched it a couple of years ago and expected to hate Hank Azaria's character, but he's actually really good. So that's something, I guess.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
In any other movie he'd be the worst character, but that's G98 for you.

Fsmhunk
Jul 19, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
The biggest thing the director kept stressing is that he wanted Godzilla to be fast. How do you miss the point that badly?

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

From what I recall, Tri Star hired Devlin and Emmerich because they quoted the lowest proposed budget for the film over everyone else who wanted to make it. They actually didn't even have a plan or anything, they just said "hey, we're the guys who made Independence Day. We hear you want to make a Godzilla film. We don't care about what others have proposed, we'll beat their lowest price." I want to say it ended up way surpassing that budget proposal too.

MancXVI
Feb 14, 2002

Godzilla '98 basically sums up everything wrong with the 90s. They couldn't just make something back then, they had to gently caress it up somehow. Make it edgy. Make it "less shameful" because somebody might accidentally enjoy it in earnest.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

This is true. I remember rumors floating around late 99 or so that they were going to make a sequel and have Godzilla talk...and be voiced by Will Smith. These were the early days of the net when things like that weren't so confirmable, so who knows if this was a real story or just some viral troll.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

For as lovely as the movie was the first trailer with Godzilla stomping on the T-Rex was awesome.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
What's weird to me is that ID4, for its many flaws, seemed to display a genuine affection for cheesy alien-invasion movies which made it all the more fun to watch. Meanwhile, Emmerich is on record as making GBS threads all over the established character of Godzilla and quite clearly felt the whole undertaking was beneath him, so we got a film that oozes contempt and sour vibes from every pore. Which has always made me wonder, if he doesn't even like Godzilla why'd he do a loving Godzilla movie?

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

For as lovely as the movie was the first trailer with Godzilla stomping on the T-Rex was awesome.

Funny enough as a throwaway trailer gag, but the pointed dig at Jurassic Park is very much in keeping with the weird, mean-spirited tone of the film itself. Has there EVER been a worse, more self-indulgent running joke in a big-budget movie than that Siskel/Ebert business?

Bimmi fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Oct 6, 2016

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Bimmi posted:

What's weird to me is that ID4, for its many flaws, seemed to display a genuine affection for cheesy alien-invasion movies which made it all the more fun to watch. Meanwhile, Emmerich is on record as making GBS threads all over the established character of Godzilla and quite clearly felt the whole undertaking was beneath him, so we got a film that oozes contempt and sour vibes from every pore. Which has always made me wonder, if he doesn't even like Godzilla why'd he do a loving Godzilla movie?

Funny enough as a throwaway trailer gag, but the pointed dig at Jurassic Park is very much in keeping with the weird, mean-spirited tone of the film itself. Has there EVER been a worse, more self-indulgent running joke in a big-budget movie than that Siskel/Ebert business?

Isn't that the same story when Howard the duck was made. Where Gloria Katz said there's no room for existentialism with a talking duck. Hollywood is full of stuff like that where you think why the hell would you even put that out there then.

Dylazodelan
Nov 9, 2009
Has anyone else read the script that was written for the planned 1994 American Godzilla movie that never went through? It was a lot more "traditional" than the 1998 version, with a mostly bipedal Godzilla fighting another giant monster. Stan Winston was signed on to do its effects, and he even made a pretty cool looking Godzilla model.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

Iirc didn't it come out a few years ago that 98 was pitched as a much more traditional Godzilla movie, but toho refused to let them either use any of the classic monsters or create new ones?
Kinda? Toho would allow them to use old monsters but were demanding a very high extra licensing fee for them, and Tri-Star was unwilling to pay either that or the cost to develop a new monster. So both companies worked together to gently caress up the movie.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today

Dylazodelan posted:

Has anyone else read the script that was written for the planned 1994 American Godzilla movie that never went through? It was a lot more "traditional" than the 1998 version, with a mostly bipedal Godzilla fighting another giant monster. Stan Winston was signed on to do its effects, and he even made a pretty cool looking Godzilla model.

I did. Reminded me of 2014 in lots of ways, inasmuch as the characters were pretty forgettable and some of the details felt weirdly off (Godzilla is discovered sleeping in a cave in Nevada or somesuch.) The enemy monster also felt like some scrub-tier Ultraman poo poo, or something out of a Harryhausen movie. And the Godzilla design was just another one of those T-Rex-with-spikes-on jobbers that bad designers keep churning out to make him more "realistic" or something. I don't feel like it was an opportunity missed, even if what we got was awful.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Eh, i don't hate it. Though I've really come to love how bulky and massive Edwards' Godzilla is.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Eh, i don't hate it. Though I've really come to love how bulky and massive Edwards' Godzilla is.

This would look so much better if he wasn't so green.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I really like the powerful, blocky crocodilian 2014 design. It fits the movie well enough. I liked an earlier post about how American Godzilla is a hero, while Japanese Godzilla is a monstrous demon.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
Edwardzilla would've looked so much better if they hadn't let his arms just hang loose like that maquette is doing: I couldn't help but see someone's drunk, fat uncle stumbling from the couch to his bed in almost every shot where he wasn't actively loving something up and even a few where he was. The ready-to-grapple stance is such an integral part of Godzilla's visual language that it just felt wrong to me that they totally missed it.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
I disagree

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

bimmi may have made some valid points but i'll probably never know because i tuned out when he badmouthed Ultraman and Ray Harryhausen in the same sentence

what the gently caress dude

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

bimmi may have made some valid points but i'll probably never know because i tuned out when he badmouthed Ultraman and Ray Harryhausen in the same sentence

what the gently caress dude

Indeed,both of those things are cool and good.