Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
janssendalt
May 7, 2015

checks out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Sabreseven posted:

Is there nothing they take responsibility (like adults) for? Much easier to blame the bogeyman I guess.
Yeah I do know who loves to talk about Derek Smart.

Literally everybody in /r/dereksmart you loving retards.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

his nibs posted:

:argh: STAR CITIZEN HATERS ARE THE REAL CULT :argh:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FXU1VjXUx5I

:lol:

Wow. :stare:

The guy has a burning money logo, too.

I admit though that I couldn't do the whole video. Once he started circling Derek's post and was all "You thought I was blocked, but that was my old Twitter..." while cackling, I was kind of embarrassed for the guy and then myself for playing the video and couldn't go on.

I guess that video showed me where the real crazy is though.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

janssendalt posted:

how much are you into?

I mean, all this time you devote your focus towards it instead of being productive

it seems very significant

probably represents much more than the few bucks I've spent on it

I started selling my ships in 2013, I have nothing in it at all, I actually ended up $3-4k or so in profit at the end and bought the kid and the Mrs a pile of crap, I still have a game package. That doesn't change the fact that I was a bloody idiot in 2013 though and part of appeal of watching this drama unfold is that I was far, far luckier than I deserved to be.

That's my story, now to you, how much do you have "invested" in Star Citizen?

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Ghostlight posted:

Yeah I do know who loves to talk about Derek Smart.

Literally everybody in /r/dereksmart you loving retards.

The really stupid thing is they think Our Beloved Warlord would post anything anywhere without making it clear it was him. The only person I've seen with less grasp of seperating online activity from your IRL identity was Brian Boyko.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

janssendalt posted:

https://redd.it/50rmyq

:gary:

How many ships do you have?

AP fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Oct 5, 2016

SpaceCurtisLeMay
Sep 30, 2016

We're at war with Goons. We were attacked by Goons. Do you want to kill Goons, or would you rather have Citizens killed?

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

For me the problem is very simple; the further away from actual agency I have in the game the less interested I would be in playing it. I agree that 3AM raids isn't really viable when you're an actual adult with a life, but at the very least I think it would be appropriate to let players create their own stations or do something to that level. Maybe have the actual changes be very slow, but the changes themselves be something the players could do (like decide where a station would go, what it would have, etc). I feel like there has to be a way to enable players to get more agency (and want to continue to play) and not have it be EVE.

Some of that may eventually make its way into the game. There's been some off hand remarks from FDEV about the ability to set up mining rigs to do mining, even while you are logged off, and come back to collect the contents and bring to market. I assume these would be the rigs we see at mining bases now that are POI's and with the ability to have persistent POI's in 2.2 and the related tech they are creating for Planet Coaster who knows. Now I'm not optimistic that we'll see anything before late season 3 at the earliest, probably more likely season 4 or beyond, but I can at least see Frontier developing some kind of homesteading mechanic at some point. Like you with 400 million stars or whatever it is why not allow that to happen in unexplored space? Fortunately, or unfortunately depending on how you want to look at it, FDEV tends to do baby steps. But in the meantime there is a game I can play and with their pace of development step away from for weeks or months at a time and come back to it. There is a majestic beauty to the game that, especially in VR, is just unmatched at this point. Will it keep me engaged for hundreds of hours on end...probably not. Will it keep me coming back...yes. At least until something better comes along. But until then...

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Chalks posted:

CIG will show another heavily choreographed planetary landing sequence, this time with a less barren world. They will show a bland and predictable mission involving going to a location, picking something up and shooting some dudes, not necessarily in that order. CIG will then proceed to lie again about when people will have access to it, which the cultists will take as gospel right up until the time where it becomes obvious that it was a lie, at which point they will say they knew it was untrue all along. Someone will try to come up with a convoluted explanation as to why repeatedly setting and then missing deadlines is exactly what a competent development studio would do.

Looking forward to it.

This sounds pretty much true. :)

There will also be no gameplay kiosks either.

janssendalt
May 7, 2015

AP posted:

I started selling my ships in 2013, I have nothing in it at all, I actually ended up $3-4k or so in profit at the end and bought the kid and the Mrs a pile of crap, I still have a game package. That doesn't change the fact that I was a bloody idiot in 2013 though and part of appeal of watching this drama unfold is that I was far, far luckier than I deserved to be.

That's my story, now to you, how much do you have "invested" in Star Citizen?

awesome, dude

about a couple hundred $ over

I, too, ended up selling some ships at the end

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

The Titanic posted:

Wow. :stare:

The guy has a burning money logo, too.

I admit though that I couldn't do the whole video. Once he started circling Derek's post and was all "You thought I was blocked, but that was my old Twitter..." while cackling, I was kind of embarrassed for the guy and then myself for playing the video and couldn't go on.

I guess that video showed me where the real crazy is though.

:same: I couldn't get through the vid, it just screamed impotent nerd rage which is funny to witness for a minute or two, but quickly turns into me wondering about his sanity and feeling bad for his carer.

On the upside though, these muppets are throwing enough money at it to almost ensure either a spectacular sudden implosion and complete loss of everything they are pinning their every hope and sinew on, or a sub par shite 90's throwback of fmv Hollywood star buggeration that will be filled with goons ruining their *immersion* and generally doing what goons do best, which really won't take a lot to do since their immersion can be broken by running past them in a station as they seem to have ambition to all be hall monitors.

Either way, critical thinking and common sense win and the whales/cultists are emptying their wallets to provide quality entertainment for us. :)

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

janssendalt posted:

I wanted to be a goon

but that was before all the goons went salty and the internet warlord PhD started calling them "my goons"

I don't think you quite get the dynamic here. :(

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

be free little post

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

Since we're a cult now I've done the duty of picking out a cloak for us.

My question fellow Goon Cultists is it too much or just right? I worry that the velvet will really attract cheeto dust / cat hair and be a pain to clean. Please advise.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Propagandist posted:

This sounds like an opportunity for you. Go to Citizen Con with a whole bunch of glass jars and fill them up with that fresh, nostalgic, rear end vapor.

Then sell it.

Lol. Gross.

Eau du Citizen.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

janssendalt posted:

awesome, dude

about a couple hundred $ over

I, too, ended up selling some ships at the end

What ships do you have left, just the $550 Hull E and the $350 Phoenix?

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

janssendalt posted:

how much are you into?

I mean, all this time you devote your focus towards it instead of being productive

it seems very significant

You're an idiot.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Ms. Chanandler Bong posted:

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/348572/how-much-have-you-spent

From the RSI forum users, more have spent over 10k than under 100 bucks. More have spent over 1000 dollars than under 1000 dollars. Most want to spend more.

If this is true it's just more bad news for CIG. They're losing the market and no new blood is coming in.

I'm willing to bet the drama alone is selling some starter packages though. People like to be a part of something.

I don't believe CIG will suddenly go under though. I'm willing to bet that will happen when they actually release something officially and dreams meet reality and how well that will turn out for everybody.

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

The Titanic posted:

Eau du Citizen.
:barf:

I really like this one, but 1) it's expensive and 2) It doesn't really capture 'sinister cult' like the other one did. 3) It's short, on some goons it would be more of a bib turned the wrong way.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

lol that some of the devs have been given a percentage on sales. I thought that was only for some of the actors, but hearing that was promised to some of the devs as well is both hilarious, and heartbreaking.

A wealthy actor getting promised percentage for a few dozen hours of performing a lovely script, and the project bombing, is one thing. A dev getting promised percentage for thousands of hours of software engineering, only to get nothing out of it, is quite another.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Love how they can plausibility call it a not hate group.

It's like going to an AAA meeting for the happy stories.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Raskolnikov posted:

:barf:

I really like this one, but 1) it's expensive and 2) It doesn't really capture 'sinister cult' like the other one did. 3) It's short, on some goons it would be more of a bib turned the wrong way.

This is cute in a Renaissance type of way. If we are evil cultists I will totally don one of these. Some knee high black boots would go well I think too.

I'll be looking good at our secret gatherings and game development manual burning sessions. :devil:

Richie Stardust
Mar 30, 2016

Raskolnikov posted:

My question fellow Goon Cultists is it too much or just right? I worry that the velvet will really attract cheeto dust / cat hair and be a pain to clean. Please advise.

Will it be possible to rent the cloaks? Or are we just buying the jpg and the actual cloaks get created later*? However I get the cloak, once I have it I'm thinking about being a dual wield pyro spec battle-mage. I know that you can't go full fighter benefits (lol especially dual wielding lololol) but I really like the pyro mage abilities and I think that if I set up properly I can still be a viable combat support/ dps finisher. Plus, I would really like to be unique and stand out in the cult, and I could probably RP a dual wield pyro spec battle-mage pretty well. I am concerned about griefing because you guys just know some salty asshats are gonna come gunning for anyone in a cloak just because they have impotent minds and can only just barely cling on to sanity if they're actively venting their rage and frustration that courses through them because they doubted the authenticity of the cloakers. They also like immediate pleasure. Fags.

*like how a real cult developer does it

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

I think they may have reached too far with a $750 ship sale at this point. A ship in the $300 range would've been much wiser. The last sale they did, during Gamescom, was a ~$250 purchase, and it did moderately well, but this is 3x that. The stench of death has been seeping under the door for over a year, and I suspect enough people have smelled it by now that they are really pushing it with a ship of this price.

I wonder if the "I am a Star Citizen" videos will actually make it into the program. It was such a bad idea, and the videos all so embarrassing, I wouldn't be surprised if they just completely ditched the concept.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Sabreseven posted:

Is there nothing they take responsibility (like adults) for? Much easier to blame the bogeyman I guess.

You're talking about people who believe if they can "own" Derek enough times, Star Citizen will be a great game.

Logic here is totally broken, and that's what's so great about it.

SpaceCurtisLeMay
Sep 30, 2016

We're at war with Goons. We were attacked by Goons. Do you want to kill Goons, or would you rather have Citizens killed?

The Titanic posted:

If this is true it's just more bad news for CIG. They're losing the market and no new blood is coming in.

I'm willing to bet the drama alone is selling some starter packages though. People like to be a part of something.

I don't believe CIG will suddenly go under though. I'm willing to bet that will happen when they actually release something officially and dreams meet reality and how well that will turn out for everybody.

I was reading earlier today that auto sales were down which is following a downward trend in real estate as well. Those are typical market signs that a correction is incoming followed by a possible recession. That next correction/recession will be what kills them. Especially if things like welfare and disability payments go through a round of austerity and those who do have high incomes now find themselves first on the chopping block when the pink slips come.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

EightAce posted:

I have to get this off my chest.

I don't like cats . I'm so sorry .

If there is a god Sandi will get you.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

XK posted:

I think they may have reached too far with a $750 ship sale at this point. A ship in the $300 range would've been much wiser. The last sale they did, during Gamescom, was a ~$250 purchase, and it did moderately well, but this is 3x that. The stench of death has been seeping under the door for over a year, and I suspect enough people have smelled it by now that they are really pushing it with a ship of this price.

It depends, Oct-Nov are the prime milking months and it's a Corvette which the Idris used to be before they made it bigger, Citizens used to go nuts for those paying 3-4 times the original price just because you couldn't buy them anymore.

The logic comment by "The Titanic" is spot on, people like janssendalt aren't using logic at all.

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

The Titanic posted:

You're talking about people who believe if they can "own" Derek enough times, Star Citizen will be a great game.

Logic here is totally broken, and that's what's so great about it.

Fair point :D I keep forgetting that logic was one of the first casualties with them. Long may this digital carbuncle continue to fester.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

SpaceCurtisLeMay posted:

I was reading earlier today that auto sales were down which is following a downward trend in real estate as well. Those are typical market signs that a correction is incoming followed by a possible recession. That next correction/recession will be what kills them. Especially if things like welfare and disability payments go through a round of austerity and those who do have high incomes now find themselves first on the chopping block when the pink slips come.

That's interesting. I wonder if it's partially because of the presidential election coming up and everything getting a bit scary looking.

But these things happen too. I just was told by a real estate agent friend that she thought the housing market was about to go up. I guess we'll see what happens. I'm about as much an economist as I am a nuclear scientist. (I'm neither)

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Raskolnikov posted:

A black 55 gallon garbage bag converted into a cape would fit better for the average goon imo.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Sabreseven posted:

Fair point :D I keep forgetting that logic was one of the first casualties with them. Long may this digital carbuncle continue to fester.

I just hope somebody with actual knowledge into psychology will do a project on this thing. It's so crazy.

I'm just curious what the end of this story will hold! :ohdear:

Somehow I doubt it will end with me buying a copy of Star Citizen or Squadron 42.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/RobertsSpaceInd/status/783804481410441216

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

That man looks homeless. :(

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer
https://www.twitch.tv/dangheesling

AP fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Oct 6, 2016

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Raskolnikov posted:

Do you have that in XXXXXXXXXXXXXL?

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard
https://twitter.com/real_lethality/status/783714737251024899

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
I don't think this is a particularly unique phenomenon. Cults already exist. Sunk cost fallacy has already been established. People who list their primary hobby as 'video games' are provably the worst people and exacerbate every mental deficiency. There might be a few philosophical papers about creating a cult entirely out of the socially (or otherwise) disabled but that will be about it.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Holy poo poo Lethality is a Wildstarr. This makes a lot of sense.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Instead of cloaks can we wear snuggies?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler

I do not know what is important about this man. They sure made a big deal about him joining the Austin team two years ago though, that must matter somehow.

• Locked thread