Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Finally getting around to watching these and I'm wondering, how interconnected are the series? Would I miss much if I watch Luke Cage first?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Not very, beyond a couple of throwaway mentions to the characters in the other series, which don't even mention then by name. Claire is in all three series as well but not even that really matters. Only thing I can think of is that the chronology is in the order each of the series came out, so it might be weird in that sense to not watch them in order.

notthegoatseguy posted:

I'm only on episode 7 or eight. Is it ever explained why Cottonmouth hates that name?

I think someone mentioned that people started calling him that because he got some teeth knocked out?

raditts fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Oct 5, 2016

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

RatHat posted:

Finally getting around to watching these and I'm wondering, how interconnected are the series? Would I miss much if I watch Luke Cage first?

They make small references to each other but nothing significant. You'd be fine watching Luke Cage first - the only thing that might confuse you is Rosario Dawson's character repeatedly referring to the events of Daredevil.

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

Claire and Luke met in JJ too and there's some reference to that, but its not made that big a deal.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

RatHat posted:

They spoil the end of Jessica Jones.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Martha Stewart Undying posted:

In my experience as a black dude there are a lot of black people who I can call my nigga. Then there are those who don't like that.

The joke was it would be me, a white guy, saying it. But I can't because I'm not Vince McMahon.

flosofl posted:

And Squirrel Girl was their babysitter for awhile, if I remember correctly.

Yes. And she proved she could take care of Danielle by beating the poo poo out of Wolverine. Of course she is one of the most powerful people on the planet.

Also Misty Knight was always one of my favorite smaller role comic book characters and I'm super happy that she had such a big role in the show. She needs her own series with her and Colleen Wing beating the poo poo out of everyone.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Guy Goodbody posted:

Eh I guess I'll watch them in order then. It goes Daredevil S1->Jessica Jones->Daredevil S2->Luke Cage right?

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

RatHat posted:

Eh I guess I'll watch them in order then. It goes Daredevil S1->Jessica Jones->Daredevil S2->Luke Cage right?

yup

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
seriously though how'd Luke get the thumb drive

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

mastershakeman posted:

seriously though how'd Luke get the thumb drive

Wasn't it given to him at the end of Jessica Jones?

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

notthegoatseguy posted:

I'm only on episode 7 or eight. Is it ever explained why Cottonmouth hates that name?

"Cottonmouth" got his moniker from getting his grill smashed when he was climbing the criminal ladder.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Hey how come Luke's plastic breather didn't melt when they dunked him into boiling acid?

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer

BrianWilly posted:

Hey how come Luke's plastic breather didn't melt when they dunked him into boiling acid?

The same way he avoided getting boiling acid inside of him when he was cut open inside a vat of boiling acid :v:

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Cythereal posted:

It's definitely a Southern thing in addition to being a black thing. Every funeral I've been to has been more of a wake - the community and family coming together to share stories about the good the deceased did and share funny and heartwarming stories. Booze is also usually involved. The idea is usually that the deceased wouldn't want everyone they cared about to be sad and mopey, go celebrate the good they did in life and remember them that way.

That sounds like how I'd like my funeral to go. 'Try to be happy and remember me fondly, but if anyone can't put on a happy face and finds themselves grieving in other ways, that's absolutely fine too. '

BrianWilly posted:

If Breaking Bad has taught me anything, it's that plastic doesn't melt in acid but people do.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

They store acid in plastic.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Yeah but it was boiling. I can't even microwave my plastic containers. :saddowns:

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

Acid is not a magic space liquid that dissolves everything it touches. Different acids react to things differently.

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!

BrianWilly posted:

Yeah but it was boiling. I can't even microwave my plastic containers. :saddowns:

I don't think it was Tupperware grade.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Well Luke was clearly shot on two separate occasions yet we are clearly shown that they remove the shrapnel from a single wound. I hope someone was fired for that blunder.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

BrianWilly posted:

And we all know how dangerous boiling acid is!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nBEz-wfq8Ew

Pwnstar posted:

Well Luke was clearly shot on two separate occasions yet we are clearly shown that they remove the shrapnel from a single wound. I hope someone was fired for that blunder.

That was driving me crazy too! I thought there must have been something I missed somewhere.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Pocky In My Pocket posted:

Are you confusing Robyn with Trish?

Yeah, whoops. Robyn I didn't really take for comedic relief either but just another weird denizen of Hell's Kitchen that got negatively impacted by being associated with Jessica.

Pwnstar posted:

I noticed that. It was weird considering they showed both wounds during the episode.

bloodychill fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Oct 6, 2016

Amstrad
Apr 4, 2007

To destroy evil you must become an even greater evil.

Guy Goodbody posted:

Wasn't this mostly a reference that you wouldn't even recognize as a spoiler if you hadn't watched JJ?
Sorta like how Claire starts mentioning this really good lawyer she knows. You wouldn't really get the full implication of that if you hadn't watched DD.

Elite
Oct 30, 2010
I binged through Luke Cage and thought it was okay, but it definitely suffered a bit from trying to mix the comic-booky with the grounded. So when Mariah kills Cottonmouth it's a big loving deal and most of the backend of the season deals with the fallout from that, but when Diamondback murders 20 guys in a warehouse or shoots people with magic bullets or blows up an ambulance in the middle of the street he somehow (mostly) gets away with it. And just in general Diamondback's character didn't make much sense to me - as a ruthless enforcer he'd work but I didn't find him believable as the guy in charge. He's insane and impulsive and self-sabotaging, but is also apparently capable of meticulous planning and somehow commands great loyalty despite shooting/strangling his own men for no reason and he has all these trading connections despite there being a 50-50 chance on him killing someone whenever he tries to strike a deal oh and he also randomly decides to let his enemies go for no reason when he has them dead to rights.

A comic-book show is fine or a grounded show is fine, but inconsistently alternating between the two doesn't work well for me (it's also an issue I have with the later seasons of Arrow, on top of them just being bad in general).

Anyway, what I liked:
- How prevalent and effective guns were. In a lot of hero shows guns are basically useless so it was a nice change of pace to see them treated as a real threat, which a) makes Cage's powerset seem more important and b) shows how hard it would be for a non-invulnerable hero to do anything.
- The ending. I don't think the ending is any commentary about the system being broken, but I do think it was the case that in the final hour the villains played the system better than the heroes so they sort of 'deserved' to win more. The villains were trapped in a very precarious position, but they managed to spin things the right way to achieve a (temporary) victory.
- Shades. The blindly obedient henchman and the scheming-henchman-trying-to-usurp-the-throne are both cliches, but the scheming guy just looking for a competent/reasonable boss was a slightly different twist on the norm.
- Misty and Pricilla. I liked that Misty had enough sense of the big picture to see that whilst Cage was involved in everything, he wasn't responsible for anything so she knew she could work alongside him (imagine how annoying it would have been if she tried to bring him in for questioning every time she saw him). I liked that Misty's replacement boss wasn't a total hard-rear end or an idiot, but was just trying to get the job done properly and be thorough. So when they clashed it seemed like they were both being reasonable in their decisions, rather than having some forced drama.

I am however sad that other people beat me to the punch on the joke that Netflix Marvel has a series about a blind man who's able to see and now also a series about a bulletproof man who isn't bulletproof. :negative:

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Amstrad posted:

Wasn't this mostly a reference that you wouldn't even recognize as a spoiler if you hadn't watched JJ?
Sorta like how Claire starts mentioning this really good lawyer she knows. You wouldn't really get the full implication of that if you hadn't watched DD.

I think "like that woman who snapped a man's neck because she said he was mind-controlling her" is enough to spoil Jessica Jones. At least, once you start watching the show and find out the villain has mind control powers, and the main character is a woman, you can probably piece it together.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Drifter posted:

Wasn't it given to him at the end of Jessica Jones?

I don't know! I don't recall jj getting it

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Pwnstar posted:

Haha it bothered me too. I just checked the scene where he gets shot the second time, and you never see the bullet explode. My only guess is that it went clean through unlike the first one and so exploded unseen outside his body.

E: Unless there's a scene in the next episode that contradicts this (like no exit wound) in which case I guess they just forgot

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Elite posted:

And just in general Diamondback's character didn't make much sense to me - as a ruthless enforcer he'd work but I didn't find him believable as the guy in charge. He's insane and impulsive and self-sabotaging, but is also apparently capable of meticulous planning and somehow commands great loyalty despite shooting/strangling his own men for no reason and he has all these trading connections despite there being a 50-50 chance on him killing someone whenever he tries to strike a deal oh and he also randomly decides to let his enemies go for no reason when he has them dead to rights.

My takeaway from this, was mostly that although he was incredibly vicious and cunning, Luke Cage showing back up threw him off. I mean here he is building his gun running empire and this loving rear end in a top hat that he thought he was rid of comes back from the grave with loving super powers. He's still smart enough to try to use Luke Cage to further his business ambitions, but his inferiority complex with Cage is too strong to totally ignore. He has to be better than Luke, and he has to know that Luke knows it. It's not that he was stupid, just that he let his need to dominate Luke drown out any sort of caution. Zip definitely never came up with the idea to springboard off of the dashcam footage to start killing cops with super punch gloves. It kinda sucks that we don't get to see Diamondback directly until after Shades finds out who Luke Cage is, but at the same time it would be silly for him to be directly meddling in Cottonmouth's business before then.

Unrelated, about the fight in 1x13, anyone who says they wouldn't wear a cool power armor costume that also makes them look like a snake is a liar. People in real life already dress up like super heroes outside of conventions, I don't get why people find it so hard to believe some arrogant rear end in a top hat in a universe with legit super heroes would have his custom ordered revenge armor be snake themed.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
THe thing that bugged me about Diamonback's outfit besides the Pimp Stormtrooper look was that his entire lower face/chin was exposed, and it took Luke Cage like 30 minutes to figure that out and uppercut him into a building and end the fight

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Amstrad posted:

This makes a certain amount of sense. But it does seem to run slightly counter to the idea of Dimondback being out for revenge. He otherwise seems like a very hands on kind of guy when it comes to Luke, so for him to start going into convoluted plotting rather than just shooting the poo poo out of Luke personally feels off.

I wouldn't call getting the cops to pay for the chance to at least wound the gently caress out of your nemesis convoluted plotting. Just a chance to make some fat stacks while making sure your enemy suffers as much as possible. It even helps as they would pick up a lot of the people in Luke's life if it all works out.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
I just assumed that the reason Diamondback didn't show up until the episode where he tried to kill Luke because the Harlem area was just a small piece of his business. He didn't even care until Shades figures out that Luke is Carl and reports back, at which point Diamondback leaves wherever he was for Harlem.

Which is why Shades freaked out when Cottonmouth made his "power" play of trying to blackmail Luke. You don't want to be the one to tell Diamondback that you hosed up and now Carl is in the wind.

Edit: Diamondback must have been living the life outside of New York. Outside of a couple brief visits, like Thor in New Mexico, the rest of the MCU US must be a super criminal paradise.

Gyges fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Oct 6, 2016

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

Dexo posted:

Misty was wrong though?

She should have trusted her boss. Her boss was someone who like Misty actually gave a poo poo and was able to weigh things properly. Her hesitation and understanding of what bringing those weapons onto the streets would mean was smart as hell. And that hesitation is what saved Luke and every one's lives in the end.

Unlike Misty her boss was able to maintain control in every situation besides with Shades, and when Mariah used the beating of that chess club kid to try and push her goals forward.

In Police custody Candice's probably would have had a detail on her and maybe cameras. It would have been possible to kill her. but wouldn't be so easy as sending her a text message and rolling up behind her and shooting her with no resistance. Mariah hasn't had time to start paying off cops, and they already had a list of everyone on Cottonmouth's payroll. Diamondback didn't seem to give a poo poo about anything but Luke at that time and was already being dealt with.

While wrong, she wasn't Misty's boss for all that long, and I don't ever really showed that she really cared. From my recollection, Misty's main interaction with her is primarily getting chewed out for not getting Luke Cage yet. From Misty's perspective, her boss seemed really obsessed with pinning everything on Luke. It's totally understandable for Misty to be concerned that she'd ignore the actual evidence, and let Miriah go, since it already happened once with Cottonmouth. I think if her old boss was still in charge she'd probably have brought her in.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

BrianWilly posted:

Only certain acids react with certain materials. There are acids you have to store in glass and acids you can only store in plastic. Also, note the majority of the doctor's acid storage tank and feed machanism appeared to be plastic also.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Pwnstar posted:

Eventually, my assumption became that because that since that second one was up by his shoulder or his pecs it didn't even get through his skin.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

RareAcumen posted:

Eventually, my assumption became that because that since that second one was up by his shoulder or his pecs it didn't even get through his skin.

What? It definitely did, he has a bullet hole and is bleeding

Anyway since it's become such a point of discussion I went and checked episode 9 - there's no sign of an exit wound so my theory of a clean through shot is right out. I guess the shrapnel is just embedded in muscle rather than near vital organs so they didn't feel like bothering to take it out. :shrug:

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Aaaaand season done:

Good stuff:
-All black/minority cast
-Good soundtrack
-Interesting social commentary
-Cottonmouth and Shades
-Misty
-Lots of nods to old blacksploitation flicks
-There are like four white people and three of them are evil
-Sweet Christmass...
-Coffee chat
-The ending. Kind of want to watch the next season now.

Bad Stuff:
-Luke felt a bit miscast. He's a decent actor but not really an action star. You need someone better able to do martial arts and stunts.
-The action in this series was pretty bad at times. See previous point.
-While the soundtrack was good the musical scenes at the club often went on too long, likely as a way to showcase the talent. I found it distracting.
-The series tone is kind of all over the place. It needed to either be more grounded or go full retard and be something straight out of the seventies (Personally I vote for the later).
-gently caress me the cops are dumb. But that's pretty true to real life so maybe this shouldn't be on the bad list?
-I kind of wish they'd found some excuse to give Cottonmouth shark teeth like he had in his original character design.
-For that matter I kind of wish they'd kept the goofier aspects of Luke's design.
-While she has her moments Mariah in general is a pretty weak character. Again, I kind of wish they'd gone in a sillier direction and made her weigh 700 lbs like she did in the comics.
-Despite being a diet Kingpin Cottonmouth slowly turns into a pretty good villain by the show's halfway point. Then he dies and is replaced with Diamondback.
-Diamondback is a shittiest villain in the marvel universe so far. He's dumb as hell, his motivation is tenuous at best, and he's nowhere near as threatening as the show seems to think he is. Also making Diamondback Cage's brother made him a weaker villain rather than a stronger one
-Judas bullets were a stupid thing to introduce before Cottonmouth had tried drowning/poisoning/etc Luke.
-As has been mentioned they only pulled one of the bullets out of Luke in the Barn.
-What the hell was up with Diamondback's costume at the end?
-Probably the weakest Netflix Marvel series so far. Though I wouldn't go so far as to call it "bad".

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

readingatwork posted:

Aaaaand season done:

Bad Stuff:
-Luke felt a bit miscast. He's a decent actor but not really an action star. You need someone better able to do martial arts and stunts.
-The action in this series was pretty bad at times. See previous point.

I hate that people think this. Getting Coulter on as Cage is a fantastic casting job, and specifically for Luke Cage, who's AT BEST a one-time trained amateur boxer but mostly brawler, you don't need to be martial arting up the city.

I truly believe the writing did him a disservice. Dialog, that is. And some of the "okay, just scream really loudly like you were in pain" direction.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I do agree that a lot of the earlier choreography was slow and bad looking.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Drifter posted:

I hate that people think this. Getting Coulter on as Cage is a fantastic casting job, and specifically for Luke Cage, who's AT BEST a one-time trained amateur boxer but mostly brawler, you don't need to be martial arting up the city.

I truly believe the writing did him a disservice. Dialog, that is. And some of the "okay, just scream really loudly like you were in pain" direction.

My issue with Cage isn't that he isn't a martial artist but that Coulter honestly just looks like he's flailing. It actually kinda-works when he's Luke Cage because you can go "well, untrained dude with super strength" but in the flashbacks it is just awful especially when he's supposed to be uncommonly good at brawling.

I don't think he's miscast because he's great at everything else but they desperately need to get him a fight trainer and also a better choreographer.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Drifter posted:

Does Kryptonite invalidate Superman's entire superpowered gimmick? sorry, just go to that page where you guys discussed that.

I think those are sorta necessary foils to an otherwise near-physically invincible character.

The point is that he's not, though. Luke Cage is often called "black Superman", but that's itself reductive - again, Secret War puts Luke Cage in life-threatening danger via the relatively simplistic and easy to obtain method of blowing him the gently caress up. Like, literally, some TNT could really threaten LC's life. Luke Cage isn't some invincible superhuman - he has a whole myriad number of weaknesses, he just has unbreakable skin.

In contrast Superman need Kryptonite because he was literally too powerful otherwise, and even beyond the thematic "a piece of the world he never knew literally poisons him" poetry of it served an important mercenary purpose - Superman needed drama and stakes in his stories, and Kryptonite provided that.

Luke Cage just has unbreakable skin. That's it. It cannot be broken. It's the most basic, most iconic power he has. Making a more-or-less magic bullet that breaks his skin is the logic eight-year-olds use when playing superhero. It's bunk-rear end storytelling. Make him vulnerable via the bounds of his powers, something the comics have been able to do for literal decades, instead of taking away everything that defines Luke Cage as a superhero just to establish unnecessary stakes.

Like, again, Jessica Jones for all its faults literally blueprints how you can put Luke Cage in danger without eliminating his abilities. Getting shot in the head at point-black range with a shotgun is a way to show how he has unbreakable skin while still going "Yeah but all that force applied directly to the noggin is gonna loving cause some damage". It makes sense without removing the central defining powerset of Luke Cage. It can be done, it just needs better writing than "But, I get a MAGIC BULLET that pierces unbreakable skin!"

NieR Occomata fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Oct 6, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

TV Luke Cage is clearly more indestructible than comic Luke Cage. His soft tissue is included too.