Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Grand Gigas posted:

I wrote SCP-2420 and SCP-2852. I also helped with the thread (un)favorite, that Homestuck satellite.

2852 is also very good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tony Doughnuts
Aug 12, 2016

There are, in fact, still motherfuckers who gotta ice skate up hill

You stop that.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

atomicthumbs posted:

anyone who thinks that stuff like that is "filler" can eat it

Filler is definitely the wrong word.

Maybe the "Meat and potatoes" SCP.

It's an anomalous thing, it has an interesting effect. It doesn't require a live D-Class of Abrahamic religion to be fed to it every 12.58328 minutes.

It's just a neat anomalous thing with an interesting story.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Filler is definitely the wrong word.

Maybe the "Meat and potatoes" SCP.

It's an anomalous thing, it has an interesting effect. It doesn't require a live D-Class of Abrahamic religion to be fed to it every 12.58328 minutes.

It's just a neat anomalous thing with an interesting story.

It's also got a heck of a lot more humanity to it than the rest of the site, which drives home how cold and uncaring the institute is They lock up and interrogate a depressed lonely dude just cos his dog's magic. And after ten years of what is practically solitary confinement they just kind of shrug and set him to work doing admin. Fuckin bleak.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
Apocalyptic stories are also way overdone and boring at this point. Oh no another monster that is basically Cthulhu! Pfft. Been there, done that. I have to contain four of those fuckers every day before breakfast. Aside from that something doesn't necessarily need to be able to murder you to be scary and unnerving.

Granted other things can just be harmless, useful in some way, but still way weird. Like that pizza box that knows your favorite and just materializes it. That's weird as hell but a good anomalous object. It also has a fate you'd expect; they poked at it a bit then lost interest and put it in the break room.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Heard about SCP on The X files files but the guy pimping it was a real loser so I never followed up. But then I heard a selection of them on The last podcast on the left, specifically one about a mysterious vending machine and instant lemon clams that actually got my interest. Which SCP is that one and what's this threads opinion on it?

MariusLecter has a new favorite as of 19:58 on Oct 5, 2016

Dartonus
Apr 1, 2011

It only gets worse from here on in...

MariusLecter posted:

Heard about SCP on The X files files but the guy pimping it was a real loser so I never followed up. But then I heard a selection of them on The last podcast on the left, specifically one about a mysterious vending machine and instant lemon clams that actually got my interest. Which SCP is that one and what's this threads opinion on it?

That would be http://www.scp-wiki.net/scp-261, and at the very least my opinion on it is "I want one".

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

Dartonus posted:

That would be http://www.scp-wiki.net/scp-261, and at the very least my opinion on it is "I want one".

That's a neat one. When I read "vending machine," I first thought of 294.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
SCP idea, pizza bagel box that is always refilled with pizza bagels of randomized flavor toppings when emptied, closed and reopened. Possibility of angry swarm of hornets but the jalapeņo bacon pizza bagels are worth the risk.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Idea: A pizza box that always has your favorite style of pizza inside, but also an invisible knife.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Idea: A knife box that always has your favorite transparency of pizza inside.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Idea: An invisible knife.

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?

qntm posted:

The things I wrote are listed here.

Thanks, these were fun reads.

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
This comic sounds kind of SCP.

edit: goddamn why isnt imgur working.

Mycroft Holmes has a new favorite as of 03:26 on Oct 6, 2016

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Mycroft Holmes posted:

This comic sounds kind of SCP.

edit: goddamn why isnt imgur working.

You forgot the .jpg without that it links to the page the picture is on, not the picture itself. Doctor Derek Smart had the same problem, so you're in good company.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

This one is a favorite of mine.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

I proposed that in SCP chat a few years before the other person wrote it up, and at the time the staff guys thought it was a bad idea and told me not to bother.

So I guess that's one thing that's improved

teh winnar!
Apr 16, 2003

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

This one is a favorite of mine.

TRY: IIIII II
WHO TRIED: Witch Doctor U██
THING TRIED: Throw hemp in Thing-I
WHAT HAPPENED: [DATA CHISELED OUT]

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Tunicate posted:

I proposed that in SCP chat a few years before the other person wrote it up, and at the time the staff guys thought it was a bad idea and told me not to bother.

So I guess that's one thing that's improved
The first time I read this one it had an article-ruining senior staff insert (I want to say clef?). I was pleasantly surprised to find it gone.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
Can someone tell me when the quality drop off became so evident? I remember these being way creepy, and then at some point they all became THE THING THAT SHOULD NOT BE, domination fantasies, and also GOKU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

ElGroucho posted:

Can someone tell me when the quality drop off became so evident? I remember these being way creepy, and then at some point they all became THE THING THAT SHOULD NOT BE, domination fantasies, and also GOKU

Er, there was a lot more of all of those by proportion back in like 2007-2009 when it all started. A solid fourth of the entries were self-inserts that listed the author's favorite movies and music as required containment procedures and depicted them as totally cool knockoff x-men.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

ElGroucho posted:

There has been a massive swing against all those things in recent (and probably not-so-recent) years.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

I'm only new to SCP, but it looks an awful lot like the 2007-2008 precipitous quality drop on YTMND.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

fishmech posted:

Er, there was a lot more of all of those by proportion back in like 2007-2009 when it all started. A solid fourth of the entries were self-inserts that listed the author's favorite movies and music as required containment procedures and depicted them as totally cool knockoff x-men.

Followed by a 'everything must be totally grimdark' phase.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
I was always more fond of the sad ones. The living drawing of a girl that is stuck on paper always stayed with me more than "The Lizard Which Is Evil and Fights Vegeta at some point during [REDACTED]"

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

ElGroucho posted:

I was always more fond of the sad ones. The living drawing of a girl that is stuck on paper always stayed with me more than "The Lizard Which Is Evil and Fights Vegeta at some point during [REDACTED]"

Also, the living drawing of a girl also fought Vegeta.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

teh winnar! posted:

TRY: IIIII II
WHO TRIED: Witch Doctor U██
THING TRIED: Throw hemp in Thing-I
WHAT HAPPENED: [DATA CHISELED OUT]

I'm now imagining a Rats in the Walls type cognito hazard, where the more you read about the thing the less you're able to comprehend it, so the SCP starts out very technically and clincally described, and then descends into nonsense.

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

MariusLecter posted:

Idea: An invisible knife

http://www.scp-wiki.net/scp-2124

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

We're kind of going in circles here.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
No loving way.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

MariusLecter posted:

No loving way.

Av/post combo

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

I've been binging these recently after like a year of forgetting the site existed, and jesus I didn't realize how lazy [DATA EXPUNGED] was before I started reading newer articles that didn't take it on to the end of every skip for ambiguous spoooooky reasons.

For content: 2030 is one of my favorites from the newer stuff. Broadcast SCPs in general are extremely my poo poo - is there a numbers station SCP? That seems like it'd be a gimme but I haven't come across one yet.

shelley
Nov 8, 2010

Strom Cuzewon posted:

I'm now imagining a Rats in the Walls type cognito hazard, where the more you read about the thing the less you're able to comprehend it, so the SCP starts out very technically and clincally described, and then descends into nonsense.

This would be pretty legit, I gotta say. There's an article where the gimmick is that it's describing a creature which was anti-memetic by nature, and information about it will gradually disappear, but nothing so classically Lovecrafty.

(Probably because it's hard to pull off and would get downvoted to hell and back. But I think Metaphysician might be able to do it, he's good at the Lovecraftian atmosphere.)

Triple Elation
Feb 24, 2012

1 + 2 + 4 + 8 + ... = -1
Has anyone posted this one yet? It really got a reaction out of me.

Tony Doughnuts
Aug 12, 2016

There are, in fact, still motherfuckers who gotta ice skate up hill

Triple Elation posted:

Is this a Gurren lagaan reference?

skipThings
May 21, 2007

Tell me more about this
"Wireless fun-adaptor" you were speaking of.

dmboogie posted:

I've been binging these recently after like a year of forgetting the site existed, and jesus I didn't realize how lazy [DATA EXPUNGED] was before I started reading newer articles that didn't take it on to the end of every skip for ambiguous spoooooky reasons.

For content: 2030 is one of my favorites from the newer stuff. Broadcast SCPs in general are extremely my poo poo - is there a numbers station SCP? That seems like it'd be a gimme but I haven't come across one yet.

that reads like the joker has become a wizard

Arkannoyed
Oct 31, 2003

If you're dissatisfied, disappear.

Triple Elation posted:

The footnotes led to 2614, which I found very interesting.

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010
2912 is certainly weird enough:"You loving poo poo-eaters forgot to milk the clowns, didn't you? Way to ruin a decade of work, you cunts."

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

Two completely different takes on "Mister Headless". Which one do you prefer, and why?

http://www.scp-wiki.net/1-mr-headless
or
http://www.scp-wiki.net/scp-2287 ?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Arkannoyed posted:

The footnotes led to 2614, which I found very interesting.

I like this one a lot but really wish they had stuck the landing a little better.