Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sundowner
Apr 10, 2013

not even
jeff goldblum could save me from this nightmare
agh finally got my new GPU and stoked that Elite D is up and running but i don't think i saved my control config from all those months ago so now i have to painstakingly re-map everything and try remember how i had it set up :'(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Sundowner posted:

agh finally got my new GPU and stoked that Elite D is up and running but i don't think i saved my control config from all those months ago so now i have to painstakingly re-map everything and try remember how i had it set up :'(

Well, just use the opportunity to configure a new and improved set up instead of trying to remember your old one. Chances are your new set up will be pretty drat close to your old one anyway.

Sundowner
Apr 10, 2013

not even

Libluini posted:

Well, just use the opportunity to configure a new and improved set up instead of trying to remember your old one. Chances are your new set up will be pretty drat close to your old one anyway.

sort of just feels like i'm learning to play from scratch so i might as well just go with what's comfortable.

that said, i'm debating making a new save but I'd be giving up my Clipper :(

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Sundowner posted:

sort of just feels like i'm learning to play from scratch so i might as well just go with what's comfortable.

that said, i'm debating making a new save but I'd be giving up my Clipper :(

Soon I will have to go through the same thing: The cheap Logitech Attack 3 joystick I've been using is slowly breaking. If I'm lucky the thing will limp along until next year, when I was planning to buy a new one anyway.

And a new joystick with lots of new and different buttons means re-mapping loving everything. :shepface:

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Libluini posted:

…and while you're at it save the setup as a preset by editing the file to give it a proper name and moving it over to the correct folder (C:\Users\XXX\AppData\Local\Frontier Developments\Elite Dangerous\Options\Bindings\) so you can instantly get it back if any of your control peripherals happen to be unplugged.

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer
FDev needs to do some more CGs where completing them makes certain rank restricted ships available for purchase again to anyone for X amount of days.

I'd love to get my hands on a gunship or Clipper again but can't be assed to bother with the rank grind (Even though I'm only one fed rank away from Gunship).

Sundowner
Apr 10, 2013

not even
oh poo poo i think i did back up my bindings!!

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Tippis posted:

…and while you're at it save the setup as a preset by editing the file to give it a proper name and moving it over to the correct folder (C:\Users\XXX\AppData\Local\Frontier Developments\Elite Dangerous\Options\Bindings\) so you can instantly get it back if any of your control peripherals happen to be unplugged.

Huh. I must have done this at some point, because I keep unplugging and re-plugging my joystick all the time and never lost my bindings.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Libluini posted:

Huh. I must have done this at some point, because I keep unplugging and re-plugging my joystick all the time and never lost my bindings.

It could just be an old bug that they've fixed since then, but it seems like it keeps track of what profiles require what devices, and it tries to adjust itself accordingly. Emphasis on “tries”; “succeeds” not implied. The problem I had was that, with a custom profile, it would spaz out if, say, only half of them were connected — what wasn't there got unbound and replaced with default, which tended to move those buttons/keys from what I had reassigned them to.

Double fun if I accidentally loaded my BMS profile in SATAN TARGET rather than the Elite one, since the former creates a unified generic controller for both joystick and throttle and the latter just creates one for the throttle (to make the lights do fancy things). That would apparently confuse Elite to no end: one controller was missing and the other was apparently there but now had completely different buttons and axes included in it. :D

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Tippis posted:

It could just be an old bug that they've fixed since then, but it seems like it keeps track of what profiles require what devices, and it tries to adjust itself accordingly. Emphasis on “tries”; “succeeds” not implied. The problem I had was that, with a custom profile, it would spaz out if, say, only half of them were connected — what wasn't there got unbound and replaced with default, which tended to move those buttons/keys from what I had reassigned them to.

Double fun if I accidentally loaded my BMS profile in SATAN TARGET rather than the Elite one, since the former creates a unified generic controller for both joystick and throttle and the latter just creates one for the throttle (to make the lights do fancy things). That would apparently confuse Elite to no end: one controller was missing and the other was apparently there but now had completely different buttons and axes included in it. :D

Ah, that probably explains it: I only have the one joystick attached to my profile and my planned future joystick will also be an old-fashioned one-peripheral deal. If that only happens if you have something like those HOGMASTERS with their fancy multiple thingies or whatever, I'm probably lucking out by only having this one thing.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

E Equals MC Hammer posted:

so if money is no object, what would the ideal missile ship be?

I agree with the goons before me and in no particular order, I'd go for:

1) The Federal Gunship. 4 medium mounts for packhunters paired with a pretty robust secondary layout (1 large, 2 smalls) makes this one a pretty solid contributor, especially once 2.2 gives you the option to carry a fighter bay. The dual fixed plasma repeaters plus chaff option for your fighter chews through shields pretty drat fast, plus having a fighter for a distraction should help keep your target from just outmaneuvering your fat rear end. It's also pretty drat tanky, if clumsy as hell and sort of a pain to travel with.

2) The Fer-de-Lance. This one also has four medium mounts for packhunters,and comes with a giantass C4 huge hardpoint for a 'secondary' gun - I'd probably go for a laser of some description to knock shields down. Bonus points if it's one of those modified setups that damages a target through their shields or overheats them. No fighter bay, but the FdL is pretty drat zippy and nimble for something its size - especially when compared to the Gunship. It doesn't nearly have the internal space of a Gunship, though, and it's a complete pain in the rear end to travel any distances with what with its 16-ton fuel tank.

3) The Imperial Courier. A rep ship, but it's pretty cheap and has three medium hardpoints. Plus, nobody expects a ship the size of an Eagle to vomit out fifteen-ish warheads per trigger pull. A lack of secondary weapons means this one really performs the best with wingmates to take out the other dude's shields (unless you go for something like the overload munitions special mod on all your missiles). Either way you probably want to also mount a heat sink launcher on your ship - three pack hunters put out a lot of heat in a hurry.

The fDrop could basically be like a babby's first Gunship without the C1 secondaries and the fighter bay. I might also consider a fAss, with C2 missile racks and a pair of big C3 conventional guns.

One in the Bum
Apr 25, 2014

Hair Elf
Is this game still good? I'm wanting to play again but I haven't played since season 1. Do goons still have a presence in this game?

E: when is season 3 generally expected to roll out? Are they on a 1 year cycle or are they doing the "it'll be finished when it's loving finished" routine?

One in the Bum fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Oct 5, 2016

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Krycek posted:

Is this game still good? I'm wanting to play again but I haven't played since season 1. Do goons still have a presence in this game?

E: when is season 3 generally expected to roll out? Are they on a 1 year cycle or are they doing the "it'll be finished when it's loving finished" routine?

Neither, we're still in season 2. We're in the beta for 2.2 right now. Drops in a couple days, then 2.3 and 2.4 are probably following in Winter/Spring 2016/2017.

Don't expect season 3 before Summer next year.

Edit:

And yes, we still have a large presence in the game. See the other thread.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

TomR posted:

Map is super good if you use dual sticks with twist.

Maybe that's why, I have dual for this sticks basically.

One in the Bum
Apr 25, 2014

Hair Elf

Libluini posted:

Neither, we're still in season 2. We're in the beta for 2.2 right now. Drops in a couple days, then 2.3 and 2.4 are probably following in Winter/Spring 2016/2017.

Edit:

And yes, we still have a large presence in the game. See the other thread.

Awesome. I think I'll be jumping in this weekend. I read the pgs thread last night and just want to gage if people were still playing or if interest had fallen off. Do you guys play exclusively in open? I remember being on a goon private group server during season 1 when Harry's monkey balls hangout was the place for goons. Looks like you've moved on to another system.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Krycek posted:

Awesome. I think I'll be jumping in this weekend. I read the pgs thread last night and just want to gage if people were still playing or if interest had fallen off. Do you guys play exclusively in open? I remember being on a goon private group server during season 1 when Harry's monkey balls hangout was the place for goons. Looks like you've moved on to another system.

Na, no one cares for that poo poo. You can be some space mad explorer thousands of light years from our home and still join up. Most of us hang around on Discord all the time, so you can probably gauge interest and activity levels better over there.

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Krycek posted:

We've moved, yes and we also play in open as much as possible, though it's not a forced rule or anything.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

In the end I didn't preorder the new T16000 hotas because I was silly enough to get married sometime in the past and well, you know, accountability. Will have to wait until gift season.

So if anybody got one, is it as good as the second coming of Jesus?

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

TorakFade posted:

In the end I didn't preorder the new T16000 hotas because I was silly enough to get married sometime in the past and well, you know, accountability. Will have to wait until gift season.

We'll tell you when we get it. Release was pushed to November. :negative: It's the same old t1600 stick, the thottle is the new baller part with a million hats and analogs on it.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

Libluini posted:

Has Frontier actually said anything about this? Not that I doubt it considering the current level of progress, just curious if they've communicated anything.

e: hadn't seen this posted but maybe it was from a while back but oh well - 100 players in an instance:
https://gfycat.com/CaringAfraidGibbon

El Grillo fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Oct 5, 2016

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

El Grillo posted:

Has Frontier actually said anything about this? Not that I doubt it considering the current level of progress, just curious if they've communicated anything.

e: hadn't seen this posted but maybe it was from a while back but oh well - 100 players in an instance:
https://gfycat.com/CaringAfraidGibbon

No, they haven't communicated when exactly 2.3 and 2.4 will come out. I certainly wouldn't complain if they can do this faster, I just don't believe it. :v:

Libluini fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Oct 5, 2016

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer
You'll never get 100+ in the bubble, it sucks

jnnnnn
May 31, 2013

MEL
Elite Dangerous - Where Kicking Rocks Is Supposed To Be Fun

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
The entire update of 2.1 was delayed.

Technically, Engineers was released in Spring. Commanders (2.3) is not going to be finished and released during Fall 2016 unless they half-rear end it and just put out avatar creation without fixing anything from 2.2 and don't even have a beta period at all.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Man having a bounty on you and not able to pay it off manually just seems like such an affront to common sense in design :psyduck:

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Dandywalken posted:

Man having a bounty on you and not able to pay it off manually just seems like such an affront to common sense in design :psyduck:

The space game of yesterday, today!

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

TorakFade posted:

I bought a VKB Gladiator Pro instead. Talk not of your false prophets!

(yes it was expensive but so loving worth it if you can spare the terran dollarbucks)

Chrysophylax
Dec 28, 2006
._.
Module storage is in! Unfortunately it's :frontear:'d so you get 30 per account lmao

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Chrysophylax posted:

Module storage is in! Unfortunately it's :frontear:'d so you get 30 per account lmao

I'm surprised it doesn't cost money or devalues module sale prices to be honest :v:

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

orcane posted:

I'm surprised it doesn't cost money or devalues module sale prices to be honest :v:

Let's see if we can brown sea this some more.

"Module storage is 30 max per account but you start with zero storage slots and must pay to unlock each one"

"It costs a million for your first module storage slot and the price per each one is cumulative from there"

"You must pay to unlock storage slots on every space station and they don't transfer"

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Chrysophylax posted:

Oh poo poo. 30 is good enough for me, but how does it work?

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

DancingShade posted:

I bought a VKB Gladiator Pro instead. Talk not of your false prophets!

(yes it was expensive but so loving worth it if you can spare the terran dollarbucks)

Stick only and costs twice the price of the T16000 hotas :stare:

I mean sure it's going to be good but that's decidedly outside of my price range for mantoys

Chrysophylax posted:

Actually 30 is a surprisingly good number, it is like two whole ships worth! We should all bow to :frontear: infinite wisdom and goodness

Edit:

orcane posted:

Apparently modules will now sell for 90% just like ships, at least I remember seeing that on the brown sea

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
30 modules stored is probably enough to get all the engineered FSDs and overcharged multicannons you'd want to transfer between ships. Aside from shipping engineered components for ships with crappy jump ranges I don't even know what I'd use it for. I guess it's a cool thing for some people and of course it'll get brown sea'd into uselessness. Much like having ship transfers without prohibitive costs/times it's a QoL feature and limiting it just makes it lovely. So yeah... it's going to cost a fortune and not allow you to transfer by the end of this. The Space Amish always win.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

orcane posted:

Give it time!

Chrysophylax
Dec 28, 2006
._.

Truga posted:

Oh poo poo. 30 is good enough for me, but how does it work?

TorakFade posted:

Actually 30 is a surprisingly good number, it is like two whole ships worth! We should all bow to :frontear: infinite wisdom and goodness

I know you're being facetious but I want to point out to everyone else that 30 modules is enough for an Asp-load of modules with 5 to spare, i.e. off by at least a factor of 10 :v: You can't even swap a conda from exploration to something else

The brown sea is very much against this ludicrously low limit

Chrysophylax fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Oct 6, 2016

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Still 25% think "can barely store more than an Asp/Python" is adequate, though :D

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah, 30 is enough for me because I fly one ship and only ever swap internals. It's a terrible number if you're a normal person. Should probably just be unlimited.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Sometimes I wonder how the devs calculate those numbers. Do they just put some notes with random numbers on a board and throw darts at it or how do they come up with this poo poo?

30 modules. Wow. Why not 3? Or 0,3? If we're using nonsense numbers, why not go full tilt into stupid ville?

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

Libluini posted:

Sometimes I wonder how the devs calculate those numbers. Do they just put some notes with random numbers on a board and throw darts at it or how do they come up with this poo poo?

30 modules. Wow. Why not 3? Or 0,3? If we're using nonsense numbers, why not go full tilt into stupid ville?
Sometimes I wonder how posters calculate those numbers. Do they just put some notes with random numbers on a board and throw darts at it or how do they come up with this poo poo?

3, or 0.3 modules. Wow. Why not 300? Or 30? If we're using nonsense numbers, why not go full tilt into stupid ville?

[I don't understand your point at all. the numbers in your post are just as arbitrary as the ones the dev picked.]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
On one hand I think people are overestimating how much storage they actually need but 30 seems like an arbitrarily low number.

• Locked thread