Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Cythereal posted:

You've dealt with Hiawatha and Pocatello, you can handle Peter.
I really really hate those assholes. :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Super Jay Mann posted:

I have a feeling sniping the good great people with faith/gold is going to be a big thing in MP and is going to lead to a lot of rage.

If you wanted that Great Person, you should've banked more resources to buy them. S'what you get for spending it all on rushing units/buildings instead.

In other words, I have absolutely no problem with adding more opportunity costs to the game.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

If you wanted that Great Person, you should've banked more resources to buy them. S'what you get for spending it all on rushing units/buildings instead.

In other words, I have absolutely no problem with adding more opportunity costs to the game.

Oh no I think it's a great idea design-wise, it gives you more options for your faith/gold and adds a nice dynamic to the great person game by providing an avenue to counterplay GP point focus.

It's also gonna lead to a lot of hurt feelings. That's a good thing. :getin:

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yeah, opportunity cost is good in this sort of thing. It's part of what makes Arabia's ability interesting; it gives up some of a significant opportunity cost by letting you get around rushing a religion by guaranteeing you one (barring most other people not going for religions), though you may still lose out on your ideal choice of abilities for said religion.

Basically, you can't do everything, so you have to decide what you want to go for exactly.

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler

Hogama posted:

I think you can get as much Genghis Khan as you can afford.

see, now everyone can get a little bit genghis khan, thread title is 100% accurate

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

If they're in a queue that isn't the issue, though. Let's say Player 1 has the points for Great Person B, but Great Person A has to be chosen first. Player 1 passes for several turns waiting for GPA to get chosen. Some turns later Player 2 take GPA and then Player 3 takes GPB before Player 1 has a chance. That's not opportunity costs or specialization dependent. If you can pick out of what's available then yeah, should have prioritized it if you wanted it, but if there's a queue then it's dependent on what the other people do. Conversely, if everyone except one person deprioritizes Great People then that one Great Person player is going to have to wait a lot longer to be able to get the higher tier people. So yeah, I hope it's like religion beliefs where you choose what you want from what's left, not a queue system.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
If you don't want Great Person A, you don't have to wait for someone else to buy them. You can decline your chance at Great Person A at a small cost, which then immediately moves your points over to working on Great Person B.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Tendales posted:

If you don't want Great Person A, you don't have to wait for someone else to buy them. You can decline your chance at Great Person A at a small cost, which then immediately moves your points over to working on Great Person B.

This is probably fine, but I'd prefer a basket approach where the first person with the points gets his pick, next gp would be cheaper for all other players and of course if you have the points, there is no limit to the gps you can hire. :getin:

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Kurtofan posted:

what quote?

Also sanitation. It's from Life of Brian where they're saying "ok, apart from the sanitation, medicine, education, wine, public safety, roads....what have the Romans ever done for us?"

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
After watching the IGN preview video on nuclear bombs in Civ VI, I'm so stoked for some cold war scenarios. Mutually assured destruction will make for some pretty neat dark horse victories when the big players nuke themselves into oblivion.

I wonder how it'll work in a game with win conditions though? Surely there's no reason not to nuke the poo poo out of someone approaching a victory condition. I know in single player you'll suffer diplomatic fallout with the AI which could potentially make for a lose-lose scenario, but who's going to care for multiplayer?

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

JVNO posted:

After watching the IGN preview video on nuclear bombs in Civ VI, I'm so stoked for some cold war scenarios. Mutually assured destruction will make for some pretty neat dark horse victories when the big players nuke themselves into oblivion.

I wonder how it'll work in a game with win conditions though? Surely there's no reason not to nuke the poo poo out of someone approaching a victory condition. I know in single player you'll suffer diplomatic fallout with the AI which could potentially make for a lose-lose scenario, but who's going to care for multiplayer?

Speaking of scenarios, I don't think I've heard anything about Civ6 coming with pre-made scenarios. I wonder if that just hasn't been advertised, or if there aren't any. Even though I don't play them much, I kind of enjoy the scenarios as a break from the main game sometimes.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
Sometimes the scenarios were really great at teaching strategies about game mechanics. The Mongol scenario, for instance, improved my war game significantly.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I really enjoyed the Charlemagne scenario in Civ IV. I was Eleanor of Aquitaine! :D

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

If they're in a queue that isn't the issue, though. Let's say Player 1 has the points for Great Person B, but Great Person A has to be chosen first. Player 1 passes for several turns waiting for GPA to get chosen. Some turns later Player 2 take GPA and then Player 3 takes GPB before Player 1 has a chance. That's not opportunity costs or specialization dependent. If you can pick out of what's available then yeah, should have prioritized it if you wanted it, but if there's a queue then it's dependent on what the other people do. Conversely, if everyone except one person deprioritizes Great People then that one Great Person player is going to have to wait a lot longer to be able to get the higher tier people. So yeah, I hope it's like religion beliefs where you choose what you want from what's left, not a queue system.

A plausible flaw but seems that it would happen rare enough to not really be a big deal.

Perhaps a more fun mechanic would be a blind auction though :getin:

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

I just burst out laughing at Victoria's denouncement scream.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Azhais posted:

Should make the Congo theme music "Bongo Bongo Bongo"

This song should start to play whenever Congo is at war with someone.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Barnaby Barnacle posted:

When CivV was announced to have themes for each specific civilization, someone on CivFanatics whined about having to hear "flipping bongo drums all day".

that said i'm really bummed that polynesia used the native american sound set because we are in a completely different cultural music group irl. also super bummed that they used some generic slack-key guitar as the leading theme and didn't include any of the western-style nationalist industrial era overtures our country produced in the 1800s

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 10:37 on Oct 6, 2016

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

I wish that each GP gets a portrait, and the current GP screens are just placeholder app.

Since Genghis Khan is a great general now instead of a leader, what about Alexander? Has he show up as a GP yet in any streams? If not, that's then a strong indication that maybe Macedonia will show up as a separate civ later. Even with multiple leaders officially confirmed, I don't think they are going to give a third one to Greece.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Rexides posted:

I wish that each GP gets a portrait, and the current GP screens are just placeholder app.

Since Genghis Khan is a great general now instead of a leader, what about Alexander? Has he show up as a GP yet in any streams? If not, that's then a strong indication that maybe Macedonia will show up as a separate civ later. Even with multiple leaders officially confirmed, I don't think they are going to give a third one to Greece.

Oh, multiple leaders was officially confirmed? Where? Do we know who might be showing up? You make it sound like we know Greece's second one.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Urgh, leaving out Mongolia in civ is as dumb as leaving out England. Not to mention all the leaders who, did impressive things sure but, were just "handed" the rule because their dad was the previous king or similar. It''s nothing compared to the impressiveness of climbing up from the very bottom of society after spending years as a freaking slave. :spergin:

hexal
Sep 7, 2011
Gorgo. She was let slip on the livestream when they opened the civilopedia to the leaders page.

hexal fucked around with this message at 11:03 on Oct 6, 2016

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Roland Jones posted:

Oh, multiple leaders was officially confirmed? Where? Do we know who might be showing up? You make it sound like we know Greece's second one.

Gorgo of Sparta was leaked in a dev stream a while ago, and we already know all the launch civs. I doubt we'll see a standalone Macedonia civ, though

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

Errrr, Gorgo? I was posting on the assumption that the leaked civilizopedia leader list confirms that Gorgo is the alternative Greek leader. I don't think they have confirmed anything yet.

e:fb

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Roland Jones posted:

I don't think it's been officially confirmed yet, but the one stream leak showed Gorgo (as in the Queen of Sparta) as one of the available leaders. Since there was no available civilisation for her to get to herself, the general consensus is that she'll very probably be the second leader for Greece.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Alright, thanks for the responses. I wasn't aware of that (only started following the news recently). Good to hear; I was hoping for (and expecting, given "leader bonuses" and the like) multiple leader options eventually.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

JVNO posted:

Nukes are pretty dumb in multiplayer Civ 5. There is no defense. Even bomber-dropped nukes are immune to fighter planes.

That said, if your multiplayer game continues much past the advent of artillery, the leader doesn't want to win enough.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
They've indicated that nukes need a bomber unit to drop them, which can be killed like any bomber. Thermonukes can't be shot down; you need to be extremely on the ball regarding subs and silos to keep those off.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I was thinking about Civ Rev on the DS and how hilariously easy it was to beat on Deity, then saw that Civ Rev 2 is a thing that's out I could get. Is it worth the ten dollars?

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Can you guys recommend any archived streams or youtube vids where some crazy warmonger plays? I want to see some combat too, not just sitting on laurels for 300 turns.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug

Ihmemies posted:

Can you guys recommend any archived streams or youtube vids where some crazy warmonger plays? I want to see some combat too, not just sitting on laurels for 300 turns.

The problem is it is Prince difficulty only for preview so any competent player can crush by military in no time.

Leinadi
Sep 14, 2009
The Marbozir playthrough as Pericles is up and complete on youtube. I think it showcases a fair amount of different stuff, including some wars. Though yeah, the AI doesn't really stand a chance. There are some showcases of nukes near the end also.

It's a good watch I think.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I think the art style is growing on me, watching streams.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Leinadi posted:

The Marbozir playthrough as Pericles is up and complete on youtube. I think it showcases a fair amount of different stuff, including some wars. Though yeah, the AI doesn't really stand a chance. There are some showcases of nukes near the end also.

It's a good watch I think.
He is also complaining about how much the game crashes. :(

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
I've only just started paying attention to this game(sadly just too late to get any of the preorder discounts, which really annoys me), but I must say that I'm really looking forward to it. I actually like the new graphical style from the videos I've watched, and a lot of the new systems seem really cool.

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

Rick posted:

I think the art style is growing on me, watching streams.

My big complaint is still that Hills don't stand out enough. It's very, very easy to miss them when you're just glancing around.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

This jet is a dick. Look how it sweeps back around to gently caress up that one remaining worker.

https://youtu.be/ZREqsiafTxc?t=1m53s

Also, look at the building in the entertainment district below the stadium in the Valencia. They are having a joust!

https://youtu.be/ZREqsiafTxc?t=8m15s

The Human Crouton fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Oct 6, 2016

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

The Human Crouton posted:

This jet is a dick. Look how it sweeps back around to gently caress up that one remaining worker.

Is... is Madrid going to be okay? :ohdear:

That is no poo poo the most gorgeus nuclear explosion in any Civ game. And look at the lighting on the missile itself! I think the Planet Buster has finally been superseded.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

The Human Crouton posted:

Also, look at the building in the entertainment district below the stadium in the Valencia. They are having a joust!

https://youtu.be/ZREqsiafTxc?t=8m15s

Hmm. If you had to guess which game was from 2010 and which one was from 2016 out of Civ V and Civ VI you might get it wrong. Wtf were they thinking with these graphics.

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.
Multiple leaders? Awww yeah, here's hoping we get Dido back!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

PirateBob posted:

Hmm. If you had to guess which game was from 2010 and which one was from 2016 out of Civ V and Civ VI you might get it wrong. Wtf were they thinking with these graphics.

Yeah, no. If you actually look at them side by side 6 has way more crisp visuals no matter what you think of the style.