Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug
So is there no Diplomatic victory in 6?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me
I just start bustin some caps
Sometimes I throw on a YouTube vid that is just Nimoy reading all the quotes one after another and it's good. Never did that for Civ 5 but it was good too. I'm sure Sean Bean will do a good job too but Nimoy raised the bar quite a bit.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Morgan Sheppard did an excellent job and I can't fathom Sean Bean will do any less. Nimoy was good and all, but I really liked Sheppard's gravitas.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

"if you chase two rabbits, you will lose them both" has been a statement that has informed a lot of my life. Sometimes i have to remember to focus and not disperse my efforts, or else I make no progress in any direction.

Civ changes lives, maaaan

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Chuck Buried Treasure posted:

I'm going to play Scythia a lot so I can drown every other civilization in a tidal wave of horsemen and tanks.

I'm going to be Arabia, so i can learn religion without dickering about my build order

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Kurtofan posted:

what quote?

Divine Right is the civic

And it's a quote from Holy Grail, something about a tart on a lake.

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

hexal
Sep 7, 2011

Jay Rust posted:

Divine Right is the civic

And it's a quote from Holy Grail, something about a tart on a lake.

The actual quote is "Listen. Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government." But I remember the word 'tart' too so it would be funny if they misquoted.

I couldn't find that in-game quote but the other lines are "Look back over the past, with its changing empires that rose and fell, and you can foresee the future too - Marcus Aurelius" and "It was the luxuries like air conditioning that brought down the Roman Empire. With air conditioning their windows were shut; they couldn't hear the barbarians coming. - Garrison Keillor"

Whoever that is.

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
Among all this narration talk is it cool to say that Baba Yetu is still the best videogame song ever and we are forever doomed to be disappointed in new Civ title music even if it's pretty good

ManifunkDestiny
Aug 2, 2005
THE ONLY THING BETTER THAN THE SEAHAWKS IS RUSSELL WILSON'S TAINT SWEAT

Seahawks #1 fan since 2014.

Chin Strap posted:

So is there no Diplomatic victory in 6?

correct

CaptCommy
Aug 13, 2012

The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a goat.

wyoak posted:

Among all this narration talk is it cool to say that Baba Yetu is still the best videogame song ever and we are forever doomed to be disappointed in new Civ title music even if it's pretty good

Correct. Also, you should check out Christopher Tin's albums because they're also great

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

I remember when iv came out there was some horrible internet post about how "civilization" isn't represented by (I can't remember the actual phrasing, but it boiled down to) ooga-booga music.

How anyone can hate deeply enough to not be moved by Baba Yetu I can't begin to fathom.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID

CaptCommy posted:

Correct. Also, you should check out Christopher Tin's albums because they're also great

I got to listen to Calling All Dawns in concert with him playing as well. Definitely worth hearing it live if it comes to your city.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug

CaptCommy posted:

He did the music for Futurama too right?

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

hexal posted:

I couldn't find that in-game quote but the other lines are "Look back over the past, with its changing empires that rose and fell, and you can foresee the future too - Marcus Aurelius" and "It was the luxuries like air conditioning that brought down the Roman Empire. With air conditioning their windows were shut; they couldn't hear the barbarians coming. - Garrison Keillor"

Whoever that is.

One of them is a massively influential person who's patronage of the arts helped enrich the whole world.

Other guy is some Roman emperor. :colbert:

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

wyoak posted:

Good news! Guess who they got back to make the title music for Civ 6!

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

hexal posted:

The actual quote is "Listen. Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government." But I remember the word 'tart' too so it would be funny if they misquoted.

That's just later in the same scene.

"Oh, but you can't expect to wield supreme executive power just because some watery tart threw a sword at you."

hexal posted:

"Garrison Keillor"

Whoever that is.

Assuming you're not just joking, he was the 42 year host of "A Prairie Home Companion" (he retired in June this year I think), an internationally syndicated radio show.

Azhais fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Oct 5, 2016

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

Brawnfire posted:

I remember when iv came out there was some horrible internet post about how "civilization" isn't represented by (I can't remember the actual phrasing, but it boiled down to) ooga-booga music.

How anyone can hate deeply enough to not be moved by Baba Yetu I can't begin to fathom.

Baba Yetu is also literally the Lord's Prayer in Swahili. I'd guess that most of the people complaining wouldn't have called it ooga-booga music or tribalistic chanting or whatever else they called it if they'd known that. Although I'm sure there were some fedora-wearing morons who'd have doubled down on it.

Barnaby Barnacle
May 25, 2010
When CivV was announced to have themes for each specific civilization, someone on CivFanatics whined about having to hear "flipping bongo drums all day".

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Barnaby Barnacle posted:

When CivV was announced to have themes for each specific civilization, someone on CivFanatics whined about having to hear "flipping bongo drums all day".

Should make the Congo theme music "Bongo Bongo Bongo"

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Yeah, pretty much that poo poo. They were like oh, civilization is horns and martial music and opera and classical bladibloo. The language being Swahili was more than enough to set them off, I don't think they give a poo poo what the words were.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

As long as it's not any awful long drawn out brass notes or similar to the horrible menu music for Beyond Earth I'll be happy.

Azhais posted:

Or something else bongo https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJMLJVha5sw :v:

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

wyoak posted:

It's the same guy composing Civ 6s theme!

I'm really excited to hear it and wish this game was out right now. :ohdear:

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Poil posted:

As long as it's not any awful long drawn out brass notes or similar to the horrible menu music for Beyond Earth I'll be happy.

Or something else bongo https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJMLJVha5sw :v:

Start with that, switch to Civilization when they switch to the modern era

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Azhais posted:

Only if the leader is doing the Africa Face

Gato The Elder
Apr 14, 2006

Pillbug
They should this for the Philosophy quote

https://twitter.com/leyawn/status/585859882869469184

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7A_hOda5uc

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Staltran posted:

Baba Yetu is also literally the Lord's Prayer in Swahili. I'd guess that most of the people complaining wouldn't have called it ooga-booga music or tribalistic chanting or whatever else they called it if they'd known that. Although I'm sure there were some fedora-wearing morons who'd have doubled down on it.

Came to post this and to note that I am of course offended that the song is ridiculously good, but is also religious. I take 4d6 Spirit dmg every time the song plays.

I play it all the time.

ONe thing that DID kind of irk me was that Civ 4 had a lot of quotes from all over. Civ 5 had a LOT of quotes and descriptions from the Bible. I felt like they drew too heavily one that book in Civ 5. Minor minor minor gripe, but still.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Some people are really, really racist. One of the Arabia preview videos is full of racist comments saying Islam is evil and never ever produced anything of value and the Islamic Golden Age is a myth, and another has its comments locked, one guess as to why.

Anyway, wow, that' a lot of land that Russia gets when settling. Jeez.

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Lander county's safe as heaven,
despite all the strife and boilin',
Tin Star,
Oh how she's an icon of the eastern west,
But now the time has come to end our song,
of the Tin Star, the Tin Star!

The White Dragon posted:

If Great Merchants gave you permanent access to a new unique luxury resource every time you consumed one, I would like spawning them a hell of a lot more.

Most great people have their own individual abilities now, it's really neat. One great merchant might spawn a luxury, another might allow you to copy a luxury, while another might improve a commercial district and another might give you a free trade route slot. The exception is great prophets (they only start a religion, you can only get one and there are fewer great prophets than civs in the game) and the great artist/writer/musicians to some extent (so far all I've seen just produce great works). But great scientists, merchants, engineers, generals and admirals all have their own unique bonuses, though great generals and admirals tend to have the "boosts combat strength of units from a certain era or two within a certain distance" bonus plus one other bonus of their own that activates when you retire them.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I'm going to hate Russia in game, stealing all that land. If they are going to poo poo cities all over as usual they're going to be really annoying to deal with unless you cleanse the world of them as soon as possible.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Poil posted:

I'm going to hate Russia in game, stealing all that land. If they are going to poo poo cities all over as usual they're going to be really annoying to deal with unless you cleanse the world of them as soon as possible.

You've dealt with Hiawatha and Pocatello, you can handle Peter.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

It's cool that civ finally gets a nice tundra bonus though

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

LightWarden posted:

Most great people have their own individual abilities now, it's really neat. One great merchant might spawn a luxury, another might allow you to copy a luxury, while another might improve a commercial district and another might give you a free trade route slot.

Yeah, the variety of abilities is pretty neat. Adam Smith as a Great Merchant gives you a permanent bonus Economic slot.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Hmm I wonder how they will balance the great people bonuses? Is it random? Or does each civ get to choose from the same pool so therefore if you are early you get your pick but later on you have to settle for Suzy the lemonade merchant, age 8.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I think a new one is available each era

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Powercrazy posted:

Hmm I wonder how they will balance the great people bonuses? Is it random? Or does each civ get to choose from the same pool so therefore if you are early you get your pick but later on you have to settle for Suzy the lemonade merchant, age 8.

I believe they're in a queue and once you've got the requisite great person points, you can recruit the next one in the queue. Or you can wait for someone else to recruit him, and save your points to spend on the subsequent one instead. So if there's a great person with a bonus you don't give a poo poo about, you can bide your time.

That's what I've taken from a screenshot or two though, I haven't been watching streams so I can't be certain.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Want this game to be out ya'll. Super pumped!

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
I don't know that I ever saw quill miss out on a great person because someone else got one, but he was pretty dominant. If you don't want a particular great person you can just hit pass and your saved great person points carry over, but you still pay the next tier cost

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

I have a feeling sniping the good great people with faith/gold is going to be a big thing in MP and is going to lead to a lot of rage.