Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:
This is hilarious and crazy well done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spider2414
Apr 17, 2013

homeless snail posted:

Its not a high-end/low-end expectations thing, it doesn't matter who you are, if you bring this thing home and have the tracking swim that Giant Bomb/others are having you are gonna have a godawful experience. Bad tracking is the #1 thing that is going to make people sick.

That's not to say you're lying about your experience, it just seems there's something hosed about PSVR that is causing people to come away with it with wildly varying experiences now that its in people's hands. Whether some fraction of hardware is actually hosed, or maybe its environmental (seems unlikely), who knows

I was more talking about the fact that people say the move is inaccurate by design. Aside from the issues some reviewers are experiencing, it's not the most accurate controller but good enough for most. Of course, when these issues occur everyone will be unhappy no matter their expectations, I realise this.

I just also think it's a bit strange that everyone who tested it (both in controlled and uncontrolled environments) didn't experience any issues, but a lot of reviewers so. Did Sony not make sure they sent a functional headset out for reviews?

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Lemming posted:

The Wii controllers were never meant to actually track, they can only do relative motion, like did they sweep up or left or waggle it randomly to make Donkey Kong roll WHY THE gently caress WASNT THAT JUST A BUTTON
The Wiimote is actually capable of positional tracking, it's just limited in usefulness/capability thanks to 2006-era hardware specs (low camera FOV being the big limiting factor). Still, even if it wasn't the intent, it works well enough that it's found use among some folks in head tracking solutions as an alternative to TrackIR.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Lemming posted:

The Wii controllers were never meant to actually track, they can only do relative motion, like did they sweep up or left or waggle it randomly to make Donkey Kong roll WHY THE gently caress WASNT THAT JUST A BUTTON

That's just the nunchuck, the Wiimote has basic IR tracking.

Which most developers struggled with, so they just go "eh, close enough" for most gestures and the like. But it feels like you are doing a Kamehameha in Budokai Tenkaichi 3, which means mission accomplished.

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

:matters:

Mordaedil posted:

That's just the nunchuck, the Wiimote has basic IR tracking.

Which most developers struggled with, so they just go "eh, close enough" for most gestures and the like. But it feels like you are doing a Kamehameha in Budokai Tenkaichi 3, which means mission accomplished.

Don't forget about the whole Wiimote / Wiimote + motion plus / Wiimote Plus mess

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
The military uses the equivalent of a Wii-Mote for controlling the Viewport (TADS/PNVS) on Apache Helicopters, it isn't that great of a system. (And it only costs $6,000+ for each helmet.)

And now for a tenth of the price you can have a phone that does the same thing without having to worry about light/equipment obscuring the sensors.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Flumbooze posted:

Thing is, me (and many others) had no issues at all when trying the headset and move controllers. It's probably not as good as the Vice or Oculus touch, but for the masses that want to try VR it works really good.

I think the keyword here is try. How long did you get to try it? When you're getting a demo of something, you rarely get a chance to just stop what you're doing and notice minor issues. On the stream, Jeff said that during all the demos he has had, he never noticed the swimming head tracking. It wasn't until he got a unit to test and when he just sat still and looked around did he notice how bad the tracking is.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Cojawfee posted:

I think the keyword here is try. How long did you get to try it? When you're getting a demo of something, you rarely get a chance to just stop what you're doing and notice minor issues. On the stream, Jeff said that during all the demos he has had, he never noticed the swimming head tracking. It wasn't until he got a unit to test and when he just sat still and looked around did he notice how bad the tracking is.

I used the headset in several consecutive 5-10 minute sessions. While it's true that I didn't have the time to pause and focus on specific aspects of the tracking, I did do the Ocean Descent experience which is noninteractive and more or less free of motion through the virtual world. I'd like to think I would have noticed it, but it's completely possible I didn't know what to look for or was one of the lucky ones for whom it doesn't cause discomfort.

I'd also believe it depends very much on the environment. We should know more when thousands of people are using them next week.

Thor-Stryker posted:

The military uses the equivalent of a Wii-Mote for controlling the Viewport (TADS/PNVS) on Apache Helicopters, it isn't that great of a system. (And it only costs $6,000+ for each helmet.)

And now for a tenth of the price you can have a phone that does the same thing without having to worry about light/equipment obscuring the sensors.

It was also developed in the 80s, wasn't it? If it's still mostly comparable to a solution from two decades later that's an amazing achievement.

Spider2414
Apr 17, 2013

Cojawfee posted:

I got the full demo of London: The Heist and then about 10 minutes of Eve: Valkyrie. In the 'The Heist' demo I looked around, opened the door and leaned out of it, leaned forwards to pick up the gun I dropped, etc. It all worked perfect. And , when you start Eve:Valkyrie you're stuck in your spaceship in sort of your launch pad so I actually did have the time to not do anything but look around and it worked flawlessly. I looked up, sideways, behind me, downwards, etc.

Now I'm not saying there's a big conspiracy or that the reviewers did something wrong, just that I did have the time to really test the headset and didn't have any issues.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
Oculus Touch preorder page on Amazon page, £189 and 23rd November release: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Oculus-301-00059-01-Touch-Controller/dp/B01LSZCU6M
Someone at Kotaku UK isn't happy about the price: http://www.kotaku.co.uk/2016/10/06/oculus-wants-us-to-pay-how-much-for-its-overdue-touch-controllers e: or Gizmodo or whatever the gently caress

El Grillo fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Oct 6, 2016

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Cojawfee posted:

It is possible that Jeff has a defective unit or set his poo poo up wrong or something though.

Flumbooze posted:

Now I'm not saying there's a big conspiracy or that the reviewers did something wrong, just that I did have the time to really test the headset and didn't have any issues.

Thing is you're not even the only one to say things like this. Makes me wonder if some people are just doing it wrong™ somehow.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
They had two PSVRs there, both had the same issue.

El Grillo posted:

Oculus Touch preorder page on Amazon page, £189 and 23rd November release: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Oculus-301-00059-01-Touch-Controller/dp/B01LSZCU6M
Someone at Kotaku UK isn't happy about the price: http://www.kotaku.co.uk/2016/10/06/oculus-wants-us-to-pay-how-much-for-its-overdue-touch-controllers e: or Gizmodo or whatever the gently caress

That guy sure is mad that two things that will have the same capabilities will cost about the same.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

haveblue posted:

It was also developed in the 80s, wasn't it? If it's still mostly comparable to a solution from two decades later that's an amazing achievement.

Yeah, it's amazing how the Wii took technology back from the 80s and made it a thing.

And technically Apaches have had their own version of Google-Glass in them for a while. HUD viewport that still let's you see the inside of your cockpit.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
Zuckerberg has said he will be showcasing something 'new' during the presentation: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10103152238610351&set=a.529237706231.2034669.4
and the first encroachment of Facebook onto Oculus's branding has been seen at the conference: http://www.polygon.com/2016/10/6/13182676/facebook-oculus-branding-logos

Spider2414
Apr 17, 2013

Cojawfee posted:

They had two PSVRs there, both had the same issue.

That guy sure is mad that two things that will have the same capabilities will cost about the same.

Two faulty units? :V

I don't know, it's weird how Gamespot also livestreamd their testing and didn't have any issues as far as I know.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

FacebookVR Confirmed.

Also wouldn't a lot of the tracking issues have shown up during the past year of testing and other people getting hands on at events/stores all this time? I feel that there is something funky going on that is making their units wonk out that not everyone else is seeing.

Even being old tech, the PS3 Move controller I have is remarkably stable in it's tracking for just a camera and LED Orb, I can see distance and other light sources affecting it, and even the color choice of the orb, but overall I don't see how it can be so bad as to kill PSVR if they haven't changed it over the last 2 years of development.

And looks like PreOrders are going for $699 regularly on ebay so I should be able to flip mine for at least some amount, but I wonder if it is really worth the :effort: ugh.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

El Grillo posted:

Zuckerberg has said he will be showcasing something 'new' during the presentation: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10103152238610351&set=a.529237706231.2034669.4
and the first encroachment of Facebook onto Oculus's branding has been seen at the conference: http://www.polygon.com/2016/10/6/13182676/facebook-oculus-branding-logos

That Facebook branding has been around for awhile in some of their demo stations. At least a couple months, IIRC.

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
What's the likelihood that daydream apps will get SteamVR ports? I'm sure Google will have Streetview VR soon enough, but have they committed to releasing on other platforms?

bringer
Oct 16, 2005

I'm out there Jerry and I'm LOVING EVERY MINUTE OF IT

EdEddnEddy posted:

FacebookVR Confirmed.

Also wouldn't a lot of the tracking issues have shown up during the past year of testing and other people getting hands on at events/stores all this time? I feel that there is something funky going on that is making their units wonk out that not everyone else is seeing.

Even being old tech, the PS3 Move controller I have is remarkably stable in it's tracking for just a camera and LED Orb, I can see distance and other light sources affecting it, and even the color choice of the orb, but overall I don't see how it can be so bad as to kill PSVR if they haven't changed it over the last 2 years of development.

And looks like PreOrders are going for $699 regularly on ebay so I should be able to flip mine for at least some amount, but I wonder if it is really worth the :effort: ugh.

Kotaku was having the same issues with their tracking.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Ideas for potential reasons why tracking would fail only for some people:
  • Blue objects in background (do the PSVR lights change color like the Move orb?)
  • Mirror in background
  • Hands blocking the camera
  • Magnetic anomalies
  • Smudged camera lens
  • Tracking software bugs
  • Mad Catz level quality assurance
  • Gremlins???

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Or maybe it was just a bad idea to go for the lowest effort tracking solution.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Cojawfee posted:

These aren't mutually exclusive

Serenade
Nov 5, 2011

"I should really learn to fucking read"

sliderule posted:

What's the likelihood that daydream apps will get SteamVR ports? I'm sure Google will have Streetview VR soon enough, but have they committed to releasing on other platforms?

There is a long tradition of mobile games to being ported to steam.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Actually, now that I think about that "hands blocking the camera" thing... With just the Playstation Camera directly in front of you, it means you could easily mess up the tracking just by putting your hands in front of your face. That's going to be incredibly limiting.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

Poetic Justice posted:

That Facebook branding has been around for awhile in some of their demo stations. At least a couple months, IIRC.
Kind of wondered how accurate it was but decided not to put in the qualifier 'apparently' :argh:
Makes plenty of sense, people take the whole thing far more seriously with big hitters like Facebook making their involvement clear.

Randomosity
Sep 21, 2003
My stalker WAS watching me...
Oculus Connect 3 Keynote kicking off right now: https://www.twitch.tv/oculus

Spider2414
Apr 17, 2013

Cojawfee posted:

Except so far that wasn't an issue for everyone who has tested the headset, outside reviews.

BMan posted:

Actually, now that I think about that "hands blocking the camera" thing... With just the Playstation Camera directly in front of you, it means you could easily mess up the tracking just by putting your hands in front of your face. That's going to be incredibly limiting.

Well I don't think you'll do this and even if you do, surely there are enough lights on the device, I doubt you could completely cover them.

EDIT: This is recent footage (without Move, but you can find older footage where they use the Move controllers). Granted, it's PlayStation Acces but still they don't seem to have any issues.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O18W21JYPyM

EDIT2: Here's some older footage of The Heist and the Move controllers. This really shows how good the tracking can actually be.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_86oin9uHY

I would recommend you to check out their other VR videos. They all show great tracking.

Spider2414 fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Oct 6, 2016

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
Somebody tripped on the power cord for the Twitch stream...

EDIT: Refresh the page to fix!

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
Wait are they discarding/replacing Home? So much chat about social hub type thing

El Grillo fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Oct 6, 2016

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
I wonder how they're doing those expressions. That's gotta be some sort of new hardware, right?

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Kinda like a more small scale RecRoom, but kinda neat so far. Especially the Draw your own Sword bit hah.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

I had to look it up because I couldn't remember, but this picture shows the same setup as the Best Buy demo I had months ago:

I was playing Battlezone which takes place in a static cockpit, so swimming should have been highly visible especially at the "make Jeff barf" levels they were complaining about. And Battlezone was one of the games that made Jeff nauseous the most yesterday. There's a whole opening intro where you're just sliding through a hangar and not much else is going on, so you would notice any head tracking shimmer fairly quickly. On top of that you can see from the setup above they've made no real effort to try and block light pollution other than the black backdrop. Jeff was sitting in front of his usual plain green screen as well so the situation should have been about comparable, but it wasn't.

Either they cheated everyone out on the production units by cheapening them considerably since the demos or there's some defect somewhere, the circumstances just don't line up.

Unfortunately with all the returns about to happen between the camera-less bundle and these potential defect issues I think Sony is going to decide this isn't worth a second chance and they'll likely sink it faster than the PSTV.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
Inside out tracking plz

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib
Did Zuckerberg just show off a wireless prototype?

FormatAmerica
Jun 3, 2005
Grimey Drawer

BabelFish posted:

Did Zuckerberg just show off a wireless prototype?

Yeah. Wireless + inside-out tracking, I think.

Looked good & based off the CV1 + a unit attached to the back of the headstrap.

Caseman
Mar 21, 2006

With a couple of AA batteries that'll be drained in about five minutes. Tether-free is neat and all but wearing a bunch of batteries isn't going to be fun.

FormatAmerica
Jun 3, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Caseman posted:

With a couple of AA batteries that'll be drained in about five minutes. Tether-free is neat and all but wearing a bunch of batteries isn't going to be fun.

5v @ 500ma isn't poo poo & can run for hours & hours off a pretty drat small li-ion battery. Wireless projection is the larger challenge, which they have appeared to have worked out.

e: to be clear, hololens style where all the compute power is on the headset is dumb. the idea of backlighting a few screens in a vive or rift & running its low-power electronics is completely reasonable.

FormatAmerica fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Oct 6, 2016

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib

Caseman posted:

He was very specific about it being an early prototype, we'll see what they do with it, if anything.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
Oculus covering up to 250k worth of license fees for Unreal is pretty loving impressive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caseman
Mar 21, 2006

FormatAmerica posted:

5v @ 500ma isn't poo poo & can run for hours & hours off a pretty drat small li-ion battery. Wireless projection is the larger challenge, which they have appeared to have worked out.

e: to be clear, hololens style where all the compute power is on the headset is dumb. the idea of backlighting a few screens in a vive or rift & running its low-power electronics is completely reasonable.

I hadn't considered that the compute would still be outside of the headset, that makes a lot more sense. They way they pitched it came off as a complete self-contained package, but if they have a low-latency wireless solution, that could be fantastic.