Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Jesus. I pay $150/month all fees included for 75/75 with their second highest cable package, HBO, and Showtime.

WTF?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

KillHour posted:

Jesus. I pay $150/month all fees included for 75/75 with their second highest cable package, HBO, and Showtime.

WTF?

That's the point. I've found out more info - evidently I'm still using a BPON ONT, and the new speed grades between 75/75 and 300/300 are only for people with the new GPON ONT. So they're lying and saying those speed grades aren't available to me or my area, when my neighbor across the street has access to the 100/100 and 150/150 packages that are more comparable to what you're paying.

Evidently the only way to *force* them to come and upgrade you is to defraud their own system and order the 300/300 tier, wait for the tech to install the new gear, and then and *only* then will you have access to and be able to downgrade to the 100 and 150 sync packages.

So in short, they're penalizing their oldest customers who've been with them the longest and paid them the most.

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.
Had to get a new modem (because TWC's highest tier service requires 16 downstream channels even though 8 channels can support up to 343), but got my 300Mbps service hooked up:

Should tide me over nicely until Google Fiber expands to more areas around here (Austin, TX).

stevewm
May 10, 2005

BIG HEADLINE posted:

So in short, they're penalizing their oldest customers who've been with them the longest and paid them the most.

So just like every other telecom company then?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

stevewm posted:

So just like every other company then?

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

Thanks Ants posted:

stevewm posted:

So just like every person ever then?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Well, there is a happy ending. Evidently my coax wiring was inferiorly configured from when I had Cox, who used to use a two-channel system for their first-generation Digital Cable. So the handful of Verizon techs that have seen said wiring never noticed that there was a four-way splitter still in place (or they didn't feel like eliminating it since they'd need a step stool to reach it). This guy did, so all our phantom issues with bad/fluctuating frequencies on certain channels are fixed, and after mentioning the fact we we still on BPON and wanted GPON, he took a new ONT out of his truck and hooked us up no questions asked, because they want to get people off of BPON due to the age and "secret upcoming stuff," which will be 1-10Gbps "and eventually higher" connection speed options.

The only nasty surprise was when I selected the 150/150 tier, a phantom $150 (spread over three months @ $50) showed up. Evidently the 100/100 can still be provided over MoCA, but 150/150 and higher require RJ-45. I figure I could find a guy (or do it myself) willing to cut a hole in my wall and snake a length of CAT6 down into my basement, call Verizon and tell them to change my connection to Ethernet over MoCA and probably save myself $100. Are there any IT techs in here who would give me a ballpark as to what that'd cost?

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Well, there is a happy ending. Evidently my coax wiring was inferiorly configured from when I had Cox, who used to use a two-channel system for their first-generation Digital Cable. So the handful of Verizon techs that have seen said wiring never noticed that there was a four-way splitter still in place (or they didn't feel like eliminating it since they'd need a step stool to reach it). This guy did, so all our phantom issues with bad/fluctuating frequencies on certain channels are fixed, and after mentioning the fact we we still on BPON and wanted GPON, he took a new ONT out of his truck and hooked us up no questions asked, because they want to get people off of BPON due to the age and "secret upcoming stuff," which will be 1-10Gbps "and eventually higher" connection speed options.

The only nasty surprise was when I selected the 150/150 tier, a phantom $150 (spread over three months @ $50) showed up. Evidently the 100/100 can still be provided over MoCA, but 150/150 and higher require RJ-45. I figure I could find a guy (or do it myself) willing to cut a hole in my wall and snake a length of CAT6 down into my basement, call Verizon and tell them to change my connection to Ethernet over MoCA and probably save myself $100. Are there any IT techs in here who would give me a ballpark as to what that'd cost?

Running Cat6 is fairly easy and cheap. Assuming 50ft for the run, you'll be about about $25 ($50 if you buy raw wire and need a crimper). The real cost will be in making a proper hole and depends largely on what your house is made of. If you have concrete between floors, it'll cost about $500 and you probably don't have the tooling to do it yourself.

If you have basic floors (Wood / fiberglass / wood) it'll be about $100. You can do it yourself if you have a good drill, all you need to buy is a hole driller and do it yourself for about $40 plus some time.

All prices USD and noting it since I think you're Canadian.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

It's not gigabit but it'll do.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Does Comcast still do the thing where you cancel service and sign back up the same day at the introductory rate? I'm tired of paying $70/mo.

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Does Comcast still do the thing where you cancel service and sign back up the same day at the introductory rate? I'm tired of paying $70/mo.

You can do that if you are far from a retail outlet. If you are near a retail outlet, you can be in and out in 20 minutes with any new hardware you may need, to boot. I go through this ritual once per year and I greatly prefer the retail store to dealing with them online or over the phone.

A few years ago, when doing it the over-the-phone way, they shipped me a DSL modem. Just a straight-up AT&T branded modem (in a non-AT&T service area). I straightened it out in a retail shop and have been using them whenever I could ever since.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Like a Comcast service center, or some store that also has a desk plugging Comcast to buy from? I know when we first got service, my wife went to a service center to pick up the equipment.

At this point we've got our own modem and router, so we don't need any equipment.

Of course they still charge the $15 "installation fee" or whatever they call it regardless of whose equipment your'e using or who sets it up.

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Like a Comcast service center, or some store that also has a desk plugging Comcast to buy from? I know when we first got service, my wife went to a service center to pick up the equipment.

At this point we've got our own modem and router, so we don't need any equipment.

Of course they still charge the $15 "installation fee" or whatever they call it regardless of whose equipment your'e using or who sets it up.

The retail stores are similar to a service center, except they aren't depressing. :v: I don't know if Comcast themselves considers them the same thing, but they might. The retail stores I've been in are basically setup with a bunch of TV screens and couches/bean bags so you can "Experience the experience".

I have gotten my fee waived for the last several years. :smug:

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

$25 or so per month. Norway is neat.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Going a bit "slow" tonight. It is peak time though. Very early in the morning I can actually get 980/500. This is my ISPs own speedtest. speedtest.net seems to max out around 350Mbps right now for me. Though I can pull 100MB/sec off Steam/Battle.net right now just fine. The internet is strange...

$100 per month, 1000/500 fiber..

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

What is the latest trick to eliminating the fios router if I have fios tv as well? I think I have to keep the device on the network somewhere but also heard I can do some sort of port forwarding.

The drat thing is so ugly.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

cr0y posted:

What is the latest trick to eliminating the fios router if I have fios tv as well? I think I have to keep the device on the network somewhere but also heard I can do some sort of port forwarding.

The drat thing is so ugly.

https://www.dslreports.com/faq/16077

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

TheGreenBandit posted:

We just got an upgrade from 100mbit to gigabit at work:

What type of computer are you testing from? ~930 is pretty much close to theoretical max speed on a gig port after Ethernet frame overhead.

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!

jeeves posted:

What type of computer are you testing from? ~930 is pretty much close to theoretical max speed on a gig port after Ethernet frame overhead.

I think I might have hit the actual limit.

I have no idea how to go back to regular internet if I have to. I'm already impatient that my fresh CrashPlan backup is taking days.

xergm fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Oct 15, 2016

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Jesus gently caress that is insane.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

xergm posted:

I think I might have hit the actual limit.

I have no idea how to go back to regular internet if I have to. I'm already impatient that my fresh CrashPlan backup is taking days.

Again, I am curious what your computer setup is. A gaming PC? A Mac Pro?

I need to start cataloging machines that can actually hit a real-world max speed on gigabit for work.

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!
Gaming PC. I've got a i7 6800k and the motherboard network chipset is Intel.

Most gaming motherboards seem to have better network chipsets as long as it's not a budget board.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
When I was on FTTH in Japan my bottleneck was routinely my hard drive instead of my connection. Steam would just flat out lock up my computer until it was finished downloading games (in like 30 seconds, to boot) since these were the days before widespread SSD availability.

It ruled and was a good problem to have. I'm excited about Google Fiber finally making its way here even though the monthly fee is literally twice what I paid for NTT's fiber service back in the day.

Sheep fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Oct 15, 2016

stevewm
May 10, 2005

jeeves posted:

I need to start cataloging machines that can actually hit a real-world max speed on gigabit for work.

Just about every cheap desktop I have at work can hit gigabit speeds no problem. I've not saw any one in years that couldn't. The bottle neck has always been the hard drive for data transfers.

Have a bunch of random Lenovo desktops, mostly M73/M93 Tinys, these will all hit 115-120MB/sec easy. (SSDs) (920-960Mbps). Various Dell machines. Some have Intel network, some realtek.

TheGreenBandit
Dec 22, 2006

President of the United States of Boogers

jeeves posted:

I'm on a Dell Precision 3620, though as said above most of our desktops can max out. Now if only I could get fiber to my house I'd be set. 6Mb/s is the fastest upload anyone sells around here :(

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Finally bit the bullet and upgraded to FiOS when I moved, and holy poo poo that's a massive improvement over what I was getting on Comcast

grymwulf
Nov 29, 2013

What? Was it something I said?

Cox 150d/10u on Wifi in an apartment complex

Slightly expensive at $78/mo but can't complain since they tend to over-deliver here.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Thauros posted:

Finally bit the bullet and upgraded to FiOS when I moved, and holy poo poo that's a massive improvement over what I was getting on Comcast

But...but...Comcast keeps saying only Nazis and people who hate ice cream prefer FiOS over them! It's like they're lying shitbags who corporatized and militarized the surly 80s era cable guy or something!

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
I would love some FttH.

Lousy "rural area", at least I don't have DSL.

Social Media
Jan 21, 2010

Stuck with 25/10 from Comcast for $50 a month here. Only other option is DSL. There's a fiber network that runs through town but only schools, hospitals and the like have access to it right now. It will probably be years before a last-mile provider steps up to build out fiber for residential customers. :gbsmith:

Killer Low Life
Sep 6, 2010

Fiber is dope

DarkEnigma
Mar 31, 2001
Rogers gigabit finally became available in my area!

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
Old - $67/mo

New - $65/mo

Pretty loving incredible :stare:

Lower than the advertised gigabit but I can't complain with the bargain basement price.

MaxxBot fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Dec 27, 2016

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
Apparently Comcast just rolled out some sort of speed upgrade in my area:

My connection had been hovering around 170 down/11 up pretty consistently since I got service here in fall 2015.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Upgrading to gigabit fiber from CenturyLink on Tuesday... stupidly excited. Like the first time I got broadband installed excited.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

Internet Explorer posted:

Upgrading to gigabit fiber from CenturyLink on Tuesday... stupidly excited. Like the first time I got broadband installed excited.

The speed increase I got from doing the same thing (CenturyLink DSL to gigabit fiber) was actually greater than the increase I got when I moved from 56k to cable for the first time, it's pretty nuts.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I'll just leave this here -

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Motherfucker

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Thanks Ants posted:

Motherfucker

This means a lot coming from a fellow IT guy. :bigtran:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Das_Ubermike
Sep 2, 2011

www.oldmanmurray.com
Anybody here in the Washington D.C. region? I moved into a new apartment last week and signed up for the Comcast 100 mbps internet package and this poo poo is slow as balls. All of my tests through Ookla have returned download/upload speeds of 5-6 mbps or thereabouts. While I wasn't expecting 100 mbps, I figured that 30-45 mbps would be a more realistic figure, so I find this 6 mbps poo poo somewhat appalling.

Any other people in the DMV know if this is par for the course with Comcast in Maryland? FIOS is an option here but they were charging roughly the same price for 50 mbps.

• Locked thread