Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
Feel free to disregard this post.

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.

Ginette Reno posted:

I don't know how many of the old threads they'll pick up given that important actors are dead or not in it but yes it will be more or less a continuation and not a reboot.

Yessssssssssssssssssssssssssss. So happy I am watching the pilot now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

nerdman42 posted:

My big wonder is how they'll do the Killer BOB stuff with that actor gone

Probably will be played by Ray Wise.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

esperterra posted:

Probably will be played by Ray Wise.

I'd rather it be Kyle MacLachlan. It'd make perfect sense in more ways than one. :allears:

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

isn't michael j. anderson not coming back either?

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

romanowski posted:

isn't michael j. anderson not coming back either?

true, but he's in his sixties now with a bone disorder so it's likely he's retired for medical reasons

e: oh wow apparently he accused david lynch of raping his own daughter and having jack nance murdered :stare:

boner confessor fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Oct 4, 2016

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

boner confessor posted:

e: oh wow apparently he accused david lynch of raping his own daughter and having jack nance murdered :stare:

Say WHA??? I though he was just considered toxic for posting loony poo poo on facebook about the Jewish conspiracy or whatever?

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

Andrew WK was tweeting this at David Lynch before filming began, too. But unless they kept it mega-secret it didn't happen :(

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

boner confessor posted:

true, but he's in his sixties now with a bone disorder so it's likely he's retired for medical reasons

My favorite part of the dvd documentary about the Twin Peaks festival is the guy who says that they had to quit inviting "the dwarf" because he got drunk and made people uncomfortable.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Jack Gladney posted:

My favorite part of the dvd documentary about the Twin Peaks festival is the guy who says that they had to quit inviting "the dwarf" because he got drunk and made people uncomfortable.

Oh wow, that sucks. He was really good in Carnivale (and his brief appearance in the X-Files!). Shame to hear he's completely mental.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
The cool thing is that the Black Lodge inhabitants are all mystical dream beings anyway, so you could always replace him with another little person actor who's not such a prick.

Also the dude who played the giant and iirc, MIKE are coming back so that's cool

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

The Vosgian Beast posted:

The cool thing is that the Black Lodge inhabitants are all mystical dream beings anyway, so you could always replace him with another little person actor who's not such a prick.

Also the dude who played the giant and iirc, MIKE are coming back so that's cool

i mean, they already straight up replaced lara flynn boyle for fwwm so its not like lynch has any hesitations about replacing actors anyway. not to mention that sudden rearrangement of the cast was an actual plot point in at least one of his films.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Best case scenario it leads to Lynch inventing new, equally or more terrifying lodge inhabitants.

Howling Man
Mar 29, 2014
is the can of creamed corn returning for the new season?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Howling Man posted:

is the can of creamed corn returning for the new season?

You're mixing this up with Wet Hot American Summer. It's a common mistake.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Solice Kirsk posted:

You're mixing this up with Wet Hot American Summer. It's a common mistake.

I don't wanna step on a bit, but clearly that's a can of mixed vegetables.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Geekslinger posted:

I'm sure it's been posted before, but I still love this clip from the Gold Box DVD where Badalamenti explains coming up with Laura's Theme.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rgXLEM8MhJo

God, I love this so much, I love that as long as I keep reading about David Lynch/Twin Peaks I will get to see this clip every now and then. Angelo Badalamenti is one of my *absolute* favorite composers.

I actually think that the best work he ever did was for one of Lynch's incredibly underrated masterpieces- The Straight Story, starring Richard Farnsworth in an unbelievably powerful, powerful performance. Farnsworth was actually dying of bone and prostate cancer during production (at 80 years old). Alvin Straight, the main character, goes to see his dying brother by driving a lawnmower 240 miles across Iowa and Wisconsin and Iowa.

In the film Farnsworth can barely walk and uses two canes to get around, wincing in pain constantly. I had always thought his apparent pain and difficulty in getting around throughout that film was... well, acting. Apparently, it wasn't quite so much "acting" as Richard Farnsworth having bone cancer and being in horrible loving pain when he had to try and walk. Apparently he took the role out of admiration for Alvin Straight. I didn't know this, but they did shoot the film in chronological order along the actual route traveled by Straight. Probably one of the many reasons it feels so real and honest.

This was Farnsworth's last film, the end of a career starting sometime in the late '30s with stunts for Gunga Din and Gone With the Wind. The year following the release of The Straight Story, Richard Farnsworth ate a shotgun as a result of not being able to cope with the pain of his disease anymore.

This always gave the film an additional and powerful elegiac note - this man knew that this was his final film, and everyone knew he probably had no business being *in* a film at all - and he ended up giving this unbelievable performance. He actually got his first ever nomination for Best Actor for this, losing to freaking Kevin Spacey in American Beauty - which seems absolutely absurd in retrospect when you look at the two performances now.

kaworu fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Oct 7, 2016

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Heavy Metal posted:

I don't wanna step on a bit, but clearly that's a can of mixed vegetables.

You telling me there ain't corn in that can?

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

The only true Catwoman is Julie Newmar, Lee Meriwether, or Eartha Kitt.

kaworu posted:

I actually that the best work he every did was for one of Lynch's incredibly underrated masterpieces- The Straight Story, starring Richard Farnsworth in an unbelievably powerful powerful performance.

Goddamn, man. Good stuff.

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

Oh precious katana posted:

David Lynch's facebook page has been posting some interesting, short videos. The videos basically just consist of zooming in and out on a character sitting in a chair in the red room. He seems to be referencing his earlier work in these, with the squirrel lady and Henry from Eraserhead among the others.

https://www.facebook.com/davidlynchofficial/

SURPRISE turns out the actor in these videos was john malkovich the whole time

http://www.playinglynch.com/intro

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

SaviourX posted:

Goddamn, man. Good stuff.

My grammar was a bit fuckered there :( Did you listen to some of it? It's even better in the film, really, there are these wonder bucholic shots of rolling farmland and grain... and the music is really what ties together the visuals, the subject matter, the characters, everything....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xk8Y-XxaAog

For example, this 4-minute track, I close my eyes and the music actually evokes the character of Alvin Straight and the images from the film so strongly that it's almost overwhelmingly vivid.

It's the same thing with the Laura Palmer theme, really - it not just sets the mood of the scene like any good film score, it gives you a sense of the character and who they are and what their role is. With this track from the Straight Story, you can almost feel yourself slowly chugging along with Alvin. With the Laura Palmer track, you can see her in a white sweater in a dark wood with a sly smile on her face, maybe pointing upward like in a Da Vinci. He is really VERY good at what he does, very underrated.

edit: The really funny thing about the Straight Story, as a film in Lynch's canon, is that it was freaking rated [G] and produced by DISNEY of all production companies! the only film that Lynch and Disney collaborated on, to say the least. But it was still extremely experimental and loses none of the bizarre Lynchiness inherent in all of his great films. And The Straight Story is absolutely among his very best films, in my opinion.

There is a funny bit of trivia; Farnsworth was going to legitimately turn the role down because he had heard that there was a lot of "cursing" in an earlier Lynch film (Blue Velvet) and only upon many personal assurance by Lynch and writer Mary Sweeney that there would be NO cursing WHATSOEVER at any point in the film did he agree to it. I just find that great.

This is also the only David Lynch film that makes me truly weep. Maybe the Elephant Man made me cry, actually, I do not remember - I should see that one again, that's a movie I'd love to see in a theater if I could, the photography was so striking in it.

kaworu fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Oct 7, 2016

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Got the book. About 1/3 through it. Prety good. Reads almost like a real history book.

I'm surprised how big a part Dougie Milford has in it so far.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
That's great. Mine is coming on Thursday and I couldn't be more excited. I don't remember Milford from the original series, but well.....I guess that's how you tell one, right?

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Escobarbarian posted:

That's great. Mine is coming on Thursday and I couldn't be more excited. I don't remember Milford from the original series, but well.....I guess that's how you tell one, right?

Brother of the mayor guy, ended up marrying that gold digging model, then Dougie died of a heart attack on the honeymoon night

IIRC.

e: misremembered some details

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

So...should I go for the print version or the audiobook version?

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Raxivace posted:

So...should I go for the print version or the audiobook version?

Yes.

Jeremiah Flintwick
Jan 14, 2010

King of Kings Ozysandwich am I. If any want to know how great I am and where I lie, let him outdo me in my work.

Jan posted:

I'd rather it be Kyle MacLachlan. It'd make perfect sense in more ways than one. :allears:

Why not both? Cooper possessed by Leland like he was possessed by BOB.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I love Twin Peaks but my favorite David Lynch thing still might be Dumbland: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cYHOQ6AQ3Rc

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Ginette Reno posted:

I love Twin Peaks but my favorite David Lynch thing still might be Dumbland: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cYHOQ6AQ3Rc

"I am a one-armed duck-fucker."

Section 9
Mar 24, 2003

Hair Elf
I read through the entire book yesterday. Initial impressions spoilered

Overall I enjoyed it and it met my expectations. I feel like the main message of it is in the first and last couple pages. Mysteries are eternal and unknowable, secrets are the creation of humankind and serve only to hide the truth. I feel like it's a message to the reader/viewer to not try to solve the mysteries of Twin Peaks, they are better when they are unsolved. It's the secrets that people create that are being uncovered.

I was a little put off at first with the focus on UFOs and Doug Milford. It seemed odd to make this minor side character to be the main focus and give him this big secret history. But in retrospect it makes some sense. Doug Milford was one character in the original series that didn't really have any backstory, so he's a perfect choice to tie all the historical narrative together without disrupting anything established in the series. And the focus on UFOs makes some sense because it's all compiled by two people who were heavily involved with all of the Air Force UFO projects, so it makes sense that they see everything through that lens.

(Small side point: I don't think it's specifically mentioned, but Jack Parsons ends up with a "stunning redhead" that he seems devoted to, that is somewhat implied to have been related to summoning the Whore of Babylon and/or Moonchild. Many years later Doug Milford is beguiled by Lana, another "stunning readhead" that nobody seems able to resist? There's mention that she could have been an assassin sent to kill Doug, but maybe her otherworldly attractiveness is exactly that, otherwordly?)

I feel like the main point behind the book is to give backstory and history to the people we see in the series, as well as the history of the town and families involved. I think it handles that pretty well. I don't think it really exposes any big secrets or mysteries of Twin Peaks that we didn't already know, it only provides some explanatory material about the past lives of some characters. This is not a criticism, just a note that anyone who is expecting to get some answers won't find them here.

Highlights: The newspaper article by Robert Jacoby about Margaret "The Log Lady". It's a bittersweet story about a person who is probably the most honest and upright person in a town filled with people hiding dirty secrets. It is terribly tragic and made me sad.

Irritants: I felt like there were some inconsistencies. Maybe I have to watch the series again, but I don't remember where there would have been a time for Cooper to write some of his files on the Packards that he left in the Bookhouse. I don't think he learned any of that before going into the Black Lodge, and I can't imagine possessed Cooper writing that later on.

I'm also confused as to why at the very beginning Gordon Cole is asking Special Agent TP to review this to identify who compiled it when it is plainly stated by the Archivist in the last couple pages. UNLESS Cole needs someone independent to review it for legitimacy? I guess that might make some sense.

However, I'm not too taken out of it by either of these. The obvious point of this book is to just give some interesting backstory to characters in the series. In some cases to prep fans for the upcoming series and provide some plot hooks. In other cases to give acknowledgement and honor to characters (and more specifically actors) who won't be appearing in the upcoming series.

I will be interested to see how quickly The Church of Scientology jumps on this for "slandering" L. Ron.

Section 9 fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Oct 18, 2016

timeandtide
Nov 29, 2007

This space is reserved for future considerations.

Section 9 posted:

I read through the entire book yesterday. Initial impressions spoilered

Overall I enjoyed it and it met my expectations. I feel like the main message of it is in the first and last couple pages. Mysteries are eternal and unknowable, secrets are the creation of humankind and serve only to hide the truth. I feel like it's a message to the reader/viewer to not try to solve the mysteries of Twin Peaks, they are better when they are unsolved. It's the secrets that people create that are being uncovered.

I was a little put off at first with the focus on UFOs and Doug Milford. It seemed odd to make this minor side character to be the main focus and give him this big secret history. But in retrospect it makes some sense. Doug Milford was one character in the original series that didn't really have any backstory, so he's a perfect choice to tie all the historical narrative together without disrupting anything established in the series. And the focus on UFOs makes some sense because it's all compiled by two people who were heavily involved with all of the Air Force UFO projects, so it makes sense that they see everything through that lens.

(Small side point: I don't think it's specifically mentioned, but Jack Parsons ends up with a "stunning redhead" that he seems devoted to, that is somewhat implied to have been related to summoning the Whore of Babylon and/or Moonchild. Many years later Doug Milford is beguiled by Lana, another "stunning readhead" that nobody seems able to resist? There's mention that she could have been an assassin sent to kill Doug, but maybe her otherworldly attractiveness is exactly that, otherwordly?)

I feel like the main point behind the book is to give backstory and history to the people we see in the series, as well as the history of the town and families involved. I think it handles that pretty well. I don't think it really exposes any big secrets or mysteries of Twin Peaks that we didn't already know, it only provides some explanatory material about the past lives of some characters. This is not a criticism, just a note that anyone who is expecting to get some answers won't find them here.

Highlights: The newspaper article by Robert Jacoby about Margaret "The Log Lady". It's a bittersweet story about a person who is probably the most honest and upright person in a town filled with people hiding dirty secrets. It is terribly tragic and made me sad.

Irritants: I felt like there were some inconsistencies. Maybe I have to watch the series again, but I don't remember where there would have been a time for Cooper to write some of his files on the Packards that he left in the Bookhouse. I don't think he learned any of that before going into the Black Lodge, and I can't imagine possessed Cooper writing that later on.

I'm also confused as to why at the very beginning Gordon Cole is asking Special Agent TP to review this to identify who compiled it when it is plainly stated by the Archivist in the last couple pages. UNLESS Cole needs someone independent to review it for legitimacy? I guess that might make some sense.

However, I'm not too taken out of it by either of these. The obvious point of this book is to just give some interesting backstory to characters in the series. In some cases to prep fans for the upcoming series and provide some plot hooks. In other cases to give acknowledgement and honor to characters (and more specifically actors) who won't be appearing in the upcoming series.

I will be interested to see how quickly The Church of Scientology jumps on this for "slandering" L. Ron.

I agree: this isn't necessarily about solving anything, though it does deepen the ties between a lot of people and things in ways that seemed seemingly unconnected. This could've come off as cheap, but it works because most of the characters encounter Lodge spirits or the Giant and either don't know it or interpret it in different ways. Dougie Milford and everyone else thinks of UFOs; Dr. Jacoby talks in pseudo-intellectual New Age terms about encountering "god energy"; Andrew Packard possibly didn't even think of his encounter as a young boy later on in his life.

There are a few things that seem like they'll come back in the new season, though its hard to say until it happens: green ring gets more history, Truman having a brother that Robert Forester could play instead of replacing Ontkean, there's very specific detail given to nuclear waste and nuclear testing for weapons, with what I assume are the Lodge spirits seemingly drawn to it. ONE SUPPOSEDLY CONFIRMED SPOILER FROM SEASON 3, not contextual other than "this happens": a nuclear blast is being shot by Lynch It's possible the dossier itself plays into the new season, since they can't have Don S. Davis on, it still gives Briggs a presence. We know Agent TP is meant to be in the new season, though it's unclear whether it's just a bit part or a major role.

I'm still reading it, but (thing about Cooper doing something) the note from Agent TP says he wrote this after the murder of Laura Palmer was solved, but "before he left town", so it presumably happened after the Black Lodge. It's possible he started it after Leland dies and had some suspicions about Packard being alive and the later chapters were written post-Lodge. Why he would do that: we'll have to see how or even if its portrayed in the new season, but its possible he's in and out of control or even unaware of Bob's possession.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.
Is the audiobook version read by the actors from the show?

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Lord Krangdar posted:

Is the audiobook version read by the actors from the show?

If I remember right, yes.

Going to venture out tomorrow to track down a copy of the book. Did everybody order theirs, has anyone seen it sitting on shelves?

Figure I'll dole out some dosh for the audiobook after I've read it once.

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie.

esperterra posted:

Going to venture out tomorrow to track down a copy of the book. Did everybody order theirs, has anyone seen it sitting on shelves?

I picked mine right off of the new releases table in the front of a bookstore.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Amazon hosed up my pre-order but local bookstores had it early so I snagged a copy. It's gorgeous!

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Some free(if you want) synthy goodness in the form of Twin Peaks music remade.

https://retropromenade.bandcamp.com/album/the-next-peak-vol-i-twin-peaks-tribute
https://retropromenade.bandcamp.com/album/the-next-peak-vol-ii-twin-peaks-tribute
https://retropromenade.bandcamp.com/album/the-next-peak-vol-iii-twin-peaks-tribute

It's surprisingly good, I think, but I'm a sucker for synth.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I decided to get the audiobook version since I received a rather generously large iTunes Gift Card the other day. Will probably end up getting the print version eventually too.

I absolutely LOVE the premise here, with the mysterious documents with mysterious commentary and commentary added in on top of all of that. It's so cool. :3:

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I've been thinking these past few months about organising a group watch of this show, for fans to remind themselves as well as to get new people on board. Was considering doing two episodes a week, and including write-ups on the three (including the new one) tie-in books and the movie. Altogether this would probably take about 16 weeks and would probably mean starting it this year instead of at the beginning of 2017 like I planned to make absolutely sure we get through it all in time. Would anyone here be up for this, and if so, is that a good amount of eps per week or could we go for one more?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I'd be down. Two per week is reasonable.

• Locked thread