Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe
Been watching filthy's stream and there are so many noticeable bits of lag and hangs, really hoping it gets another optimization pass before release. I'm sure filthy being a full time streamer has a better rig than me and even Civ5 still chugs in the late game. 3570k/GTX 970

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

The Human Crouton posted:

Also, look at the building in the entertainment district below the stadium in the Valencia. They are having a joust!

https://youtu.be/ZREqsiafTxc?t=8m15s

lol @ this trailer site's decision to nuke a small japanese city

PirateBob posted:

Hmm. If you had to guess which game was from 2010 and which one was from 2016 out of Civ V and Civ VI you might get it wrong. Wtf were they thinking with these graphics.

No way, it's just a stylistic choice. Bright and cartoony ages way better than an over-reliance on realistic textures--if you don't wanna wait twenty years to see I'm right, look at Shadows of the Empire vs Super Mario 64.

Kibbles n Shits posted:

Been watching filthy's stream and there are so many noticeable bits of lag and hangs, really hoping it gets another optimization pass before release. I'm sure filthy being a full time streamer has a better rig than me and even Civ5 still chugs in the late game. 3570k/GTX 970

It could always have been developed with the Pascal chipset in mind... remember that their budget card this year is about as powerful as last year's Titan just because of how hard the new tech ramps it up.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

The late game looks great. Civ VI looks so beautiful with everything all built up.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
TSM_TheOddone was playing last night and the number of mechanics seems great. Lots of different ways to eek out bonuses, lots of decisions to make. Something that annoys me though is how often the AIs talk to you to complain about dumb poo poo including what boils down to your army isn't moving enough. I hope there is an "Always war" option so that I don't ever have to interact with the Diplomacy system.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

PirateBob posted:

Hmm. If you had to guess which game was from 2010 and which one was from 2016 out of Civ V and Civ VI you might get it wrong. Wtf were they thinking with these graphics.

Uh huh.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Honestly, given how goofy Civilization tends to be, a less realistic art style works for it pretty well thematically as well as stylistically. It's appropriate.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

The actual map graphics look fine.

I thought the art deco interface and iconography of V was much cleaner to read and more compelling though.

The screen with all the policy cards just looks unfinished

OfChristandMen
Feb 14, 2006

GENERIC CANDY AVATAR #2

Roland Jones posted:

Honestly, given how goofy Civilization tends to be, a less realistic art style works for it pretty well thematically as well as stylistically. It's appropriate.

I don't see how anyone can look at the leader portraits and then complain that the in game graphics look cartoony. The entire premise of the game is an enticing war simulation of high stakes risk with different leaders from different times. It's not a game based upon realism, but alternate "reality".

Also as people have mentioned, the cartoony stylized graphics will hold up better until about 2020 when Civ7 will come out.

Then again I'm one of those awful people who plays entirely in strategic mode so whatever.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

The new art style is way more readable, which was their primary goal. Adding districts and wonders to the map made readability much more important, since it'd be very easy to overwhelm the player otherwise.

Civ 5 had pretty piss poor readability and I occasionally had trouble picking out resources and improvements, even after many hundreds of hours.

8 Ball
Nov 27, 2010

My hands are all messed up so you better post, brother.
6's art style looks worse in screenshots than it does when someone is actually playing the game

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
On a tangent, did something change from the first screenshots and videos they released and the current state? I remember not being a fan when I originally saw the Civ VI stuff, months (or longer?) ago, but when I encountered it again recently I found I quite liked it. Were things polished up a bit, maybe?

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Roland Jones posted:

On a tangent, did something change from the first screenshots and videos they released and the current state? I remember not being a fan when I originally saw the Civ VI stuff, months (or longer?) ago, but when I encountered it again recently I found I quite liked it. Were things polished up a bit, maybe?

I think that they had acute camera angles, cropped the image instead of showing the full game screen, and upped the brightness 200%. The original screenshots were really bad.

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

Civ 6 is one of those games that looks waaaaaaaaaaay better in motion than it does in screenshots.

Banana Man
Oct 2, 2015

mm time 2 gargle piss and shit
Most importantly the strategic view in 6 looks amazzzing compared to 5, and close enough to the regular map that it doesn't look too jarring. I used it slot in 5 due to playing a lot on a laptop and it always took a bit to get used to the visual change between the iconography and the way the units were shown in strategic view

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Captain Fargle posted:

Civ 6 is one of those games that looks waaaaaaaaaaay better in motion than it does in screenshots.

really this is true of civ v as well.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

The Human Crouton posted:

I think that they had acute camera angles, cropped the image instead of showing the full game screen, and upped the brightness 200%. The original screenshots were really bad.

Okay, that fits what I vaguely remember; it feels like things used to be a lot brighter and more saturated and that's been dialed back a little, so it's still vibrant compared to V but not as bad as it used to be.

OpenlyEvilJello
Dec 28, 2009

Captain Fargle posted:

My big complaint is still that Hills don't stand out enough. It's very, very easy to miss them when you're just glancing around.

Goody huts could really use an icon or something to help them pop, too. I think I'd miss over half of them in the videos I've watched but for the sound cue. These two issues just seem very odd in light of the general focus on clarity and readability in the map.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
the new art style seems more scalable for smaller machines, given the way they redid the strategy screen or w/e, i fully expect tablet and maybe phone compatibility.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

anime was right posted:

i fully expect tablet and maybe phone compatibility.

lol

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

It's kinda weird seeing a "social media" policy. Like, our actual civilization has advanced a few civics and techs since Civ 1 came out.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

The actual map graphics look fine.

I thought the art deco interface and iconography of V was much cleaner to read and more compelling though.

The screen with all the policy cards just looks unfinished

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

Agreed. The UI looks very bad in my opinion. Even though it's cliche I'd say it deserves being called steampunk i.e. It's complex in places it shouldn't be for no good reason and the bronze/dark-blue colour scheme isn't a good look with that. CiV's UI was clean and simple. I don't get why they chose simplify the map graphics and then make the UI more intricate.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Is that the actual Robotics icon? That's awful if it is

Chucat
Apr 14, 2006

Was this cropped or something so you can't see what the tech actually does?

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
The icon below is the Mars colony part it unlocks, which probably gets a tooltip.

Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to tell you the second effect of the tech: +1 production to pastures. Granted, it's insanely late for such a mild bonus (1 step before Future Tech), but they don't seem to do that for the earlier techs either.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Krazyface posted:

The icon below is the Mars colony part it unlocks, which probably gets a tooltip.

Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to tell you the second effect of the tech: +1 production to pastures. Granted, it's insanely late for such a mild bonus (1 step before Future Tech), but they don't seem to do that for the earlier techs either.

Robotics gives extra production from pastures? What a thoroughly weird association. I'd expect it to make factories more productive, at least.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Robo farmers don't sleep?

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Robotics gives extra production from pastures? What a thoroughly weird association. I'd expect it to make factories more productive, at least.
Electric sheep.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

Strudel Man posted:

Electric sheep.

:golfclap:

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT
There's a drat good chance that's actually the reason, too. Can't think of any other connection.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

sarmhan posted:

Civ 5 had pretty piss poor readability and I occasionally had trouble picking out resources and improvements, even after many hundreds of hours.

I could never tell plains from grassland apart. That's literally my only gripe with V.

Strudel Man posted:

There's a drat good chance that's actually the reason, too. Can't think of any other connection.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hojnPpvI6-I

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Then it should produce more food :colbert:

The only way I can see it providing more production is if the oxen are fitted with cyborg limbs so they can pull heavier plows

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

Rexides posted:

I could never tell plains from grassland apart. That's literally my only gripe with V.

Are you maybe colourblind? Like I'm not trying to be a smartass about it, but they're fairly different colours, to me at least.

I have a few objections to graphical stuff in V. Hills are sometimes non-obvious, some natural wonders don't stand out enough (and their unique icons only appear on the turn they're discovered for some reason), you can't tell what's under jungle. Also roads in general, but that's been discussed to death.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Krazyface posted:

Are you maybe colourblind? Like I'm not trying to be a smartass about it, but they're fairly different colours, to me at least.
Unless I'm completely wrong there is a grass tile variant that isn't lush green.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

Poil posted:

Unless I'm completely wrong there is a grass tile variant that isn't lush green.

Yeah, I think that is. For me, it has always been green=Grassland, yellow=Plains. Civ V tried to add some variety, and while I can definitely tell them apart if I see them side by side, if the starting area is entirely the one or the other I am always confused.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
I barely remember what the graphics of Civ V looked like because 98% of the time I spent playing it was in strategic view. Initially because otherwise the game ran like rear end on my computer, but I got so used to it that even after upgrading, the normal view looked super messy in comparison.

Lord Hypnostache
Nov 6, 2009

OATHBREAKER
Civ5 had different tile sets for different continents, some of them were more readable than others.

Does Civ6 have continental variation in graphics? I don't think I've noticed any.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Rexides posted:

Yeah, I think that is. For me, it has always been green=Grassland, yellow=Plains. Civ V tried to add some variety, and while I can definitely tell them apart if I see them side by side, if the starting area is entirely the one or the other I am always confused.

Firaxis developers also talked about this for Beyond Earth. Initially they wanted to make the alien worlds much more exotic and alien-looking, but ran into problems where players had a hard time understanding what terrain was what at a glance, so they dramatically simplified the alien biomes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IAmUnaware
Jan 31, 2012

Kanfy posted:

I barely remember what the graphics of Civ V looked like because 98% of the time I spent playing it was in strategic view. Initially because otherwise the game ran like rear end on my computer, but I got so used to it that even after upgrading, the normal view looked super messy in comparison.

I also played Civ V in strategic view a lot, and one of the things that I'm looking forward to most about Civ VI is that I think the new strategic view looks extremely good.