Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
I looked at alternatives when they rolled out their pricing scheme but I apparently don't use it enough for it to cost anything. If I didn't read this thread I probably wouldn't even know you could pay for pushbullet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

LastInLine posted:

A lot of people are turned off by their subscription pricing but if you can afford it or if you aren't bumping up on the limits it's certainly the best at what it does. I like Join a lot as a Pushbullet replacement but I'll be real, it doesn't have the polish or ease of use that Pushbullet does. On the other hand it's literally the work of one guy so I don't really expect it.

Fair enough, I don't use up to the limit on Pushbullet so still like/use it.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Taffer posted:

I'd love to see Google build in universal notification management into Android. Where you can go into each app and customize how each separate notification from the app works, sound/light/vibration etc. The apps that attempt to do this (lightflow for example) are notoriously unreliable and don't work for a ton of stuff.

Lightflow has never been anything but perfect for me and Ive been using it for years??

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Rip. That poo poo ruled.

Use lightflow, it can do sounds, light colour and vibrate patterns. Ignore that dude

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Skarsnik posted:

Lightflow has never been anything but perfect for me and Ive been using it for years??

Use lightflow, it can do sounds, light colour and vibrate patterns. Ignore that dude

I must be cursed. I've tried it across 4 phones over several years and it's always been incredibly unreliable. I want to use it but always just end up uninstalling it due to one issue or another.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Taffer posted:

I must be cursed. I've tried it across 4 phones over several years and it's always been incredibly unreliable. I want to use it but always just end up uninstalling it due to one issue or another.

I've been using LightFlow since the Galaxy Nexus and it's always worked perfectly for me as well. I know Samsung breaks a lot of LED functionality (which sucks since they're always the ones with an LED) but on Nexuses I've never had anything but reliable use.

I will note I've never used anything but the LED features, so I've never tried the vibrations, sounds, or in-app quiet hours. Any jankiness to it has always been because of the hardware peculiarities of the device itself (N5 can't be constantly on, N6 can't blend a lot of the colors, etc).

I will say this to RZA though, the stock implementation of the LED is absolutely worthless. There's no sense in using the LED if you aren't using LightFlow.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Worth noting I've always used lightflow legacy since it was released, as it means you can run it on modern android without the persistent notification

I've no idea what features you lose over the full version but it seems pretty complete to me

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family

LastInLine posted:

Also with Google dollars why would you ever worry about paying for apps? I have like $100 just sitting there.

MightyText is a $40 a year sub if you want all the bells and whistles and unlimited replies, it's not just 'buy the app'.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Luchadork posted:

MightyText is a $40 a year sub if you want all the bells and whistles and unlimited replies, it's not just 'buy the app'.

Well Join is a one-time charge so maybe use that.

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!

bull3964 posted:

Interesting that Google Rewards updated with a round icon. I wonder if all google first party apps are going to go round to match the new Pixel Launcher.

Most already have it in there, they are adding them as alternative icons within the app that the Pixel Launcher will automatically use. Presumably third party apps will start adding support for them also.

Article about this: http://www.androidpolice.com/2016/09/20/pixel-launcher-sneak-peek-part-1-googles-new-circular-launcher-icons-apk-teardown/

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
I have a 7 hour audio book as a single mp3 file. Is there a music / podcast app that will remember my place and also has buttons for skipping back and forward 10 seconds or so?

Google play music doesn't have the skip buttons, and pocketcasts doesn't seem to open local files.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

http://www.shiftyjelly.com/support/pocketcasts/115

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
Oh cool, that works fine, thanks :)

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Pocketcasts is good and I use it for podcasts, but I use "Smart Audiobook Player" for audiobooks - it's got a few features I find useful, like auto-play on bluetooth connect / headphone connect, and I find it's 'library scanning' feature more convenient to use. They both have standard features like speed control and sleep mode. I sync from a google drive so I don't want to have to manually move files around.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

OhFunny posted:

I'm annoyed the Android Comixology app doesn't display download size like the iOS app does.

I just want it to allow reading in landscape mode so I can cast my comics to my TV and read them from my couch.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes
I'm having an issue with stuttering on my Xperia Z5. It seems that it will sometimes momentarily freeze then continue. This is most noticeable when listening to podcasts (where there will be a brief moment of silence) or using a countdown timer (where it will pause on a number before advancing).

Could there be an app running in the background that causes this and, if so, how would I go about identifying it? I wonder if it's something doing updates but sometimes the pauses are every 30 seconds or so, sometimes they don't happen at all.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Who wants to take bets on how much longer Hangouts will be supported?

http://www.androidpolice.com/2016/1...eplaced-by-duo/

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Nitrousoxide posted:

Who wants to take bets on how much longer Hangouts will be supported?

http://www.androidpolice.com/2016/1...eplaced-by-duo/

Why would they not replace it with Allo :confused:

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

feedmyleg posted:

I just want it to allow reading in landscape mode so I can cast my comics to my TV and read them from my couch.

That would be sweet. I have an HTPC and while I don't usually read comics on there (I prefer a tablet), reading the widescreen formatted Panel Syndicate comics on there is great, especially with the saturated colors used in Private Eye.

I should try reading some of the Marvel Infinity comics like that...

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003

CLAM DOWN posted:

Why would they not replace it with Allo :confused:

Why couldn't the features of Duo or Allo be incorporated into the existing Hangouts?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

beerinator posted:

Why couldn't the features of Duo or Allo be incorporated into the existing Hangouts?

Because Google

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
comments section spot on as usual

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

you can be my wingman anytime
I wonder if it will be replacing the google chat in gmail. I use that to talk to my wife all day without having to get my phone out of the desk.

Google has no idea what the gently caress they want.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

rotaryfun posted:

I wonder if it will be replacing the google chat in gmail. I use that to talk to my wife all day without having to get my phone out of the desk.

Google has no idea what the gently caress they want.
No because that is Hangouts and Hangouts is staying as a business tool and Gmail is also a business tool.

Tunga fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Oct 7, 2016

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family
I'm not sure if this question is better for here or the Wear thread, but I'll start here:

I'm starting to use my 1st gen 360 again after a long hiatus. I want to use the pedometer and Google Fit, but I do no want my phone counting steps at all. Is there a way to set it up like that, or to know that it is set up like that?

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend

Taffer posted:

I'd love to see Google build in universal notification management into Android. Where you can go into each app and customize how each separate notification from the app works, sound/light/vibration etc. The apps that attempt to do this (lightflow for example) are notoriously unreliable and don't work for a ton of stuff.

Dude, I feel you on this, but as someone who used to live in app menus and constantly adjust home screen grids in Nova - I also really appreciate a settings menu in an app like Google Messenger that is super bare bones. The app just works, take it or leave it. This speaks way more to my own lack of self control than anything else I guess, but I seriously don't need the option to change the LED color and vibrate pattern in every app I own because that's all I'd ever do.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

E.T. NO HOMO posted:

Dude, I feel you on this, but as someone who used to live in app menus and constantly adjust home screen grids in Nova - I also really appreciate a settings menu in an app like Google Messenger that is super bare bones. The app just works, take it or leave it. This speaks way more to my own lack of self control than anything else I guess, but I seriously don't need the option to change the LED color and vibrate pattern in every app I own because that's all I'd ever do.

This is a really good point. Maybe some of the professional developers could chime in here (and I hope they do because I've always found stuff like this really facinating), but it seems like there is a inclination among, for lack of a better term, "power users" to want an option or setting for everything possible in applications. This was especially prevelent in Android's early days, especially in the root/modding communities, for tweaking literally anything just because they could. Stuff like modifying the status bar to have the clock in the center like iOS, as an example.

I have to think that it must be correlated to the maturation and beautification of the OS itself because as guidelines became more codified a lot of these endless options seem to fall away. Obviously some of this applies to aethetics, but as you rightly note a lot of it isn't.

Like you I find myself really preferring a lack of options in favor of a well-designed app. Just philosophically, I feel like giving the users choices for most things is worse than just making the best choice and sticking to it. I make it a point to avoid apps that go out of their way to accommodate every corner case they can (unless of course it's my corner case they're accommodating ;) ) just because I don't like to encourage such behavior.

I don't know how developers draw the line between having every option and having none, but I'd really like to hear how those choices get made, particularly when it's done by a single dev or a small team rather than by a committee.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

E.T. NO HOMO posted:

Nah what I mean is that it's not a part of any of the apps. An app would set its defaults and then go totally hands off. Then in the device setting (storage network display etc) one of the items would be notifications. From there you could view all the apps that have notifications and customize them as you please. Not unlike Lightflow, just OS level. Then apps could be barebones as you say (I also like this) while having the ability to change something when you want and keeping it all consolidated.

But either way I get where you're coming from, settings bloat is a Real Thing, it's just really annoying when you have 10 apps that use the same sound and same notification LED color and you can't differentiate them without unlocking the device.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Taffer posted:

Nah what I mean is that it's not a part of any of the apps. An app would set its defaults and then go totally hands off. Then in the device setting (storage network display etc) one of the items would be notifications. From there you could view all the apps that have notifications and customize them as you please. Not unlike Lightflow, just OS level. Then apps could be barebones as you say (I also like this) while having the ability to change something when you want and keeping it all consolidated.

But either way I get where you're coming from, settings bloat is a Real Thing, it's just really annoying when you have 10 apps that use the same sound and same notification LED color and you can't differentiate them without unlocking the device.

Doesn't the problem then become that you get LightFlow's crazy UI complexity?

What would be preferrable is if there were some way for every app's setting menu to call a standard interface from the OS for setting the ringtone, vibration, and LED color if applicable. It should probably contain an Advanced dropdown to set the stuff that's buried in Settings > Notifications now which are Block, Priority, Peeking, and Hide Sensitive Content. That way users don't have to hunt around for where the poo poo is but the developer doesn't have to implement all this poo poo themselves the way they do now.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

LastInLine posted:

Doesn't the problem then become that you get LightFlow's crazy UI complexity?

What would be preferrable is if there were some way for every app's setting menu to call a standard interface from the OS for setting the ringtone, vibration, and LED color if applicable. It should probably contain an Advanced dropdown to set the stuff that's buried in Settings > Notifications now which are Block, Priority, Peeking, and Hide Sensitive Content. That way users don't have to hunt around for where the poo poo is but the developer doesn't have to implement all this poo poo themselves the way they do now.

That would also work. I'd just really like something standardized where I can customize notifications without cluttering the UI of each app with its own different way of dealing with notifications.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Tunga posted:

No because that is Hangouts and Hangouts is staying as a business tool and Gmail is also a business tool.
Well if rotaryfun is also a business tool it all works out :downsrim:

Keyser S0ze posted:

comments section spot on as usual

Actually that one's outdated. The current one would be a mixture of the apple and microsoft ones, lot's of endpoints pointing guns at each other.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Do Pushbullet or MightText properly clear SMS notifications now? That's one of the couple of things that's bugging me about Join (plus the not-so-good SMS mirroring).

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

hooah posted:

Do Pushbullet or MightText properly clear SMS notifications now? That's one of the couple of things that's bugging me about Join (plus the not-so-good SMS mirroring).

Pushbullet does if you're using (Google) Messenger (you also have to click the notification pop-up on your computer. Opening it later doesn't work). No clue why it doesn't work when using Hangouts.

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

I bought the Windows 10 version of the Join app last night and set it up, it works great and I like it more than the chrome extention for responding to SMS.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I'd been using that, but it just seemed clunky. I often had to go back to the home screen to reload the whole app so it would recognize that I got new SMSs. Plus the aforementioned failure to clear notifications.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den
My only complaint with Join is that it doesn't support MMS. Other than that it's great.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Its been working well for me, but occasionally messages sent from the chrome extension don't show up in hangouts on the phone, so it looks like the other person is having a conversation with themselves

The messages get sent fine and show up in chrome. SMS backup+ sends them off to gmail fine too so they're on the phone somewhere

It clears SMS notifications fine for me though?

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Out of curiosity, what benefits do you guys get from being able to answer SMS messages from the desktop? Presumably your phone is right there in your pocket anyway. Is it just to be able to use a physical keyboard?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

NihilCredo posted:

Out of curiosity, what benefits do you guys get from being able to answer SMS messages from the desktop? Presumably your phone is right there in your pocket anyway. Is it just to be able to use a physical keyboard?

You don't have to context switch. It's more convenient. It's faster.

Aaronicon
Oct 2, 2010

A BLOO BLOO ANYONE I DISAGREE WITH IS A "BAD PERSON" WHO DESERVES TO DIE PLEEEASE DONT FALL ALL OVER YOURSELF WHITEWASHING THEM A BLOO BLOO
For me, like a lot of people if guess, it's because I charge my phone on my bedside table, because my phone is my clock/alarm, but my computer is at the other end of the house. This way means I can still know that I've got messages, even if I don't hear them or can't see the phone directly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
What should I use for an ePub reader?