Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

It doesn't make any sense for the staff to be androids because they clearly exhibit behaviors more sophisticated than the hosts and their entire purpose is to make the hosts more realistic and sophisticated. Why would you have them toiling away at that if you already have the ability to make perfectly realistic androids.

A subset of the staff who do the simpler stuff being androids would make sense, but it seems like the programmers would pretty have to be in, just because they'd be able to tell the difference. It's been demonstrated they can see through the behavioral limits of hosts very easily.

Or some of the staff being ~*~experimental long-term androids~*~ so they're trying out more sophisticated programming that isn't tested enough to go into the park would work, but again, that wouldn't be everyone for obvious reasons.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Oct 8, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

MikeJF posted:

It doesn't make any sense for the staff to be androids because they clearly exhibit behaviors more sophisticated than the hosts and their entire purpose is to make the hosts more realistic and sophisticated. Why would you have them toiling away at that if you already have the ability to make perfectly realistic androids.

A subset of the staff who do the simpler stuff being androids would make sense, but it seems like the programmers would pretty have to be in, just because they'd be able to tell the difference. It's been demonstrated they can see through the behavioral limits of hosts very easily.

You mean, Go Into a "Deep and Dreamless Slumber"?

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.

insider posted:

Getting some serious Twin Peaks vibes from this episode...

Black Church vs White Church. Is he going to divide the hosts AND guests into good vs evil dichotomies? PvP would spice up the park a bit I would say...

Oh god, Ford's going to go all Sword Art Online. Trap everyone in the park, and refuse to let anyone leave until some condition is met.

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

MikeJF posted:

Or some of the staff being ~*~experimental long-term androids~*~ so they're trying out more sophisticated programming that isn't tested enough to go into the park would work, but again, that wouldn't be everyone for obvious reasons.

Yea maybe not everyone, like not the regular staff such as the maintenance workers or those who build the hosts but perhaps the staff who are programming the androids are androids themselves, much more advanced in comparison to the hosts, one big experiment from Mr Hopkins and whoever else is behind the scenes to see AI produce AI. He does say that humans are now creating life and so we've come ad for as we can. Why not program machines to create life and see what happens? Give that power to his creation.

Just Chamber fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Oct 8, 2016

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

insider posted:

Black Church vs White Church. Is he going to divide the hosts AND guests into good vs evil dichotomies? PvP would spice up the park a bit I would say...

How would I powergame in pvp?

What would grinding be?

Guess I gotta bulk and go to krav maga classes

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

What happened in sword art

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

The Fuzzy Hulk posted:

They should call this show CoyboyStar Galatica.

But then you know that the ending will be terrible and that the series has no overall plan.

Starla
May 9, 2005

I hit men during sex....... and not during sex.

Bullfrog posted:

I love the part where it's theorized that one major reason why the guests love coming back to the park so much is because they might see a small detail or a chance encounter that they feel like nobody has ever seen

before. To me, it's reminiscent of the philosophy behind procedurally generated games, where the meaning of the experience you have comes about mostly from your own imagination. It's not (just) an indulgence in action, blood and suspense, but an

improv between you and the work. Of course, those games don't have the ethical problem that Westworld does.

I agree, but Westword clearly needs some sort of achievement system.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
In which someone sends a telegram to Ed Harris' character and asks him if he wants to go bowling.

Motorola 68000
Apr 25, 2014

"Don't be nice. Be good."
A little off topic but I want to know people's opinions. Would you rather they drop a whole season all at once or do you prefer waiting a week for each episode?

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

insider posted:

There is a feeling of unreality to the whole place. The reception with a wide choice of bespoke Western outfits to choose from feels like something you could only get in virtual reality. There are not that many visitors, even of they pay thousands of dollars per day, to justify such an immense amount of work for each one. The transition from the high tech lobby to the Western setting that turns out to be a train is also hard to imagine as a real thing.

obliriovrons
Jul 18, 2009

Wizgot posted:

A little off topic but I want to know people's opinions. Would you rather they drop a whole season all at once or do you prefer waiting a week for each episode?

I mean, right now between episodes I really, really want to be able to watch episode 3, but on the other hand I really haven't had something where I got to enjoy the slow burn and appreciate the anticipation between episodes this badly since Breaking Bad.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

CeeJee posted:

There is a feeling of unreality to the whole place. The reception with a wide choice of bespoke Western outfits to choose from feels like something you could only get in virtual reality. There are not that many visitors, even of they pay thousands of dollars per day, to justify such an immense amount of work for each one. The transition from the high tech lobby to the Western setting that turns out to be a train is also hard to imagine as a real thing.

If the entire thing is VR, then the show's central premise of "What happens when the robots learn what humans do to them?" is pointless. Not to mention how literally half of the show is set in a facility that shows us how the robots are made. It's not VR.

If the corridor to train transition is a sticking point, let me give you an example from the source material. In Futureworld, the protagonists board a rocket that simulates the entire process of liftoff without ever actually going anywhere. The guests know they haven't actually gone into space but the simulation is perfect enough to convince them. You could easily explain the show's transition as "the caboose is directly connected to the door/hallway, and the train doesn't move at all/only travels the short distance to Sweetwater. It's the world's most convincing Magic Motion Ride.

Big Mean Jerk fucked around with this message at 09:27 on Oct 8, 2016

meristem
Oct 2, 2010
I HAVE THE ETIQUETTE OF STIFF AND THE PERSONALITY OF A GIANT CUNT.

Wizgot posted:

Waiting. It's a completely new IP (yeah, I know, 1973 film), unspoiled, apparently planned out in advance and made by competent people. This makes it fun to nerd out about the details and mysteries between the episodes. It's like we're on a discovery trip together, and since we can trust HBO that it will take us somewhere interesting, I'm all for taking the time appreciating the journey.

For the record, I stopped watching Mr Robot halfway through season 1. I'll wait with that one once it gets to the last season - I'll watch it then if it's still good then.

Motorola 68000
Apr 25, 2014

"Don't be nice. Be good."

meristem posted:

For the record, I stopped watching Mr Robot halfway through season 1. I'll wait with that one once it gets to the last season - I'll watch it then if it's still good then.

Why? Mr. Robot is amazing.

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

Invicta{HOG}, M.D. posted:

The episode seems to put to rest the Man in Black is not human

I'm actually more convinced that he isn't human.

We know that hosts can kill other hosts so seeing him get shot and being able to shrug off bullets so far would make a better twist in the future when he is eventually revealed as a host. Dolores will probably shoot

He could just be a host kept by security that does QA for the park. His 'background story' is that he's a super VIP guest who's been coming here for thirty years which is why he keeps repeating that particular line and why the security team, know him but don't give a poo poo about what he does or how enjoyable his experience in the park is. They just want him to find any security exploits with the hosts or with Ford's master plan.

It'd explain why the girl in the second episode tells him that it's not possible for him to enter the maze (since he's not human) and why he always seems to start out in Stillwater every day. It'd also put a twist on that scene where Teddy is surprised he can't actually kill him.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Why are we spoilering Ep 2?

meristem
Oct 2, 2010
I HAVE THE ETIQUETTE OF STIFF AND THE PERSONALITY OF A GIANT CUNT.

Wizgot posted:

Why? Mr. Robot is amazing.
I found it too much stuck up its own mythological rear end, and it's a creation of someone who never did any series before. Those tend to be a little bit too much in love with their characters, have great first seasons and then fall apart in the second-third. If it's great in its last season, I'll just have the opportunity to binge-watch.

Back to this show. I wonder if the hosts have any superhuman senses/faculties. Because on the 'Ford wants to create an entire new species/allow humans to transfer their consciousness' front, if they do, this opens up so many possibilities. For instance, cognition without human implicit biases and heuristics. It would be interesting to see an attempt at the portrayal of a really wholly new emergent species rather than just a human reskin.

...actually, that's the sort of thing that I can see taking a five-year overarching plot.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

The Saddest Rhino posted:

What happened in sword art

The creator of a VR game locks everyone into his MMORPG beta, turns on permadeath by having the VR headset microwave anyone who dies ingame and tells everyone to beat the game if they ever want to leave. I can't even pretend to remember what the point of all this was, I just know it was stupid.

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary

trash person posted:

Also in episode 2, the young kid. I'm not sure why but it didn't strike me that the kid is a robotic version of Ford's dead kid or something, but instead a representation of Ford as a child.

Same here. "My father always said only boring people get bored" "Mine too"

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

theflyingexecutive posted:

Why are we spoilering Ep 2?

Forum rules say use spoiler tags until official airdate, even if it gets released earlier in another region or online.

Once it's aired, there's no reason to use spoiler tags for things that have happened or for people's wild opinions based on nothing. This thread has been really bad for that so far though.

Hardflip
Jul 21, 2007

Ep 2, Man in Black: While they're clearly watching him, and he's a VIP, is he actually following another layer of game within Westworld, or is he trying to uncover something he shouldn't?

During that scene with the daughter, he was making it apparent he can get answers by getting hosts to 'break' mentally. I wasn't sure if he'd essentially just backdoored a clue to the maze, or if this is all part of a game and he's following a planned thread.

I'd assume he's the one who planted the gun for Dolores if it wasn't Bernard, which makes me think he only comes back to subvert the system in an unintended way.

Or like others have said, he's just a really big fanboy.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

EL BROMANCE posted:

Forum rules say use spoiler tags until official airdate, even if it gets released earlier in another region or online.

Once it's aired, there's no reason to use spoiler tags for things that have happened or for people's wild opinions based on nothing. This thread has been really bad for that so far though.

Yeah it says use common sense and "released online" means leaks. I don't think we need to protect the imaginary "has HBO but not HBO go" poster

Woden
May 6, 2006

Hardflip posted:

Ep 2, Man in Black: While they're clearly watching him, and he's a VIP, is he actually following another layer of game within Westworld, or is he trying to uncover something he shouldn't?

During that scene with the daughter, he was making it apparent he can get answers by getting hosts to 'break' mentally. I wasn't sure if he'd essentially just backdoored a clue to the maze, or if this is all part of a game and he's following a planned thread.

I'd assume he's the one who planted the gun for Dolores if it wasn't Bernard, which makes me think he only comes back to subvert the system in an unintended way.

Or like others have said, he's just a really big fanboy.

He broke them in a similar way as Hopkins did with the update, he said "when you're suffering is when you're most real" after killing the wife. Meanwhile the updated robots are are getting more realistic through being terrified from reliving their past lives or other crazy poo poo.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

theflyingexecutive posted:

Yeah it says use common sense and "released online" means leaks. I don't think we need to protect the imaginary "has HBO but not HBO go" poster

It's not a big deal, but I really doubt anyone is reading this thread but hasn't seen Ep 2

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

I think when the little girl said it wasn't meant for him, she was telling Ed Harris that whatever the maze is, it is meant for the hosts. I bet Hopkins built the maze as a thing that when activated challenges the hosts to discover their true selves and hopefully become closer to human. I think this ties in with the end of episode 2 and his whole project quite well. The little girl may have even been in it. Ed Harris wants in it because he's found out who he is in that park far enough so far, but he is bored and wants to go even further with himself.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Speculation: Somebody said before that Ford would probably die and Hopkins wouldn't last on the show past season 1, that now seems extremely likely to me having seen ep 2 and where its going. Ford has been building this hidden maze puzzle within westworld and programming secrets into the hosts as part of it, and he's going to die and then nobody living is going to know what the puzzle actually was, leading to the management becoming concerned and keeping a close eye on the players who start working towards the puzzle, but let them continue to see what it is. Also Ford will have created one or more robotic versions of himself at younger ages, and those will continue to carry on the character of Ford even after Ford himself dies and Hopkins quits the show

I'm hoping it doesn't go full sword art online, and I don't think it needs to. We've already seen that westworld is extremely seductive and people like Ed Harris' really want to spend a lot of time there and dig into finding out new things. People will want to stay and figure out the puzzle without being physically trapped.

Although the robots could maybe start an uprising and lock the guests in somehow, but to what end?

Hardflip posted:

We're not sure and that's half the fun. :) Like Ford says, its all about discovering something you don't think anybody else has seen before.

When he first found the maze image on the scalp I still wasn't sure if that was really a maze or if it was just going to be some artifact of the process they use to make them. Constantly second-guessing myself is a really fun part of these kind of philosophical thrillers.

Just hope it has a better ending than :lost:

LinkesAuge
Sep 7, 2011

Waaahmbulance Chaser posted:

I think when the little girl said it wasn't meant for him, she was telling Ed Harris that whatever the maze is, it is meant for the hosts. I bet Hopkins built the maze as a thing that when activated challenges the hosts to discover their true selves and hopefully become closer to human. I think this ties in with the end of episode 2 and his whole project quite well. The little girl may have even been in it. Ed Harris wants in it because he's found out who he is in that park far enough so far, but he is bored and wants to go even further with himself.

I have a hard time to believe the maze is something just created/only known by Ford. I mean how would that work? There are so many people with access to the hosts that it's pretty much impossible to hide such obvious stuff like the maze scalps (and the programming/"story" around them). On top of that we know that all guests are watched so what Ed Harris is doing can't really be a secret to anyone.
A possible solution to this is that the maze isn't a secret, it is meant to be an easter egg for "power gaming" guests and something the management/the staff knows about. Now it could be possible that Ford has created his own hidden mystery within this official maze (a secret within a "secret") and this would make it more plausible how something like that could go unnoticed.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

I'm sure the maze has something to do with spoken word. Hopkins said something to Bernard about being God and, "the words we speak" which was preceded by Dolores saying that sentence that seemed to set off Maeve. I'm sure there are trigger phrases that do something to these hosts nobody knows about.

Also, drat was it amazing when Hopkins tells his boy self, "you won't be coming back here will you." And suddenly the boy's demeanor changes and his head starts moving a bit janky cogwheel like a robot. Was so loving chilling and subtle. This show.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Interesting Ford sees himself as a blackhat. And Bernard wears a baseball cap, he refuses to buy into the hats at all.

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

Wizgot posted:

personally I'd much rather binge a show like this

DuhSal
Aug 16, 2004

I will, brother. I promise.

Pillbug
discoverwestworld.com just redirects me to hbocanada and delosincorporated.com is giving me a caution from my browser saying it might be a malicious site. The hell. Anyway, I was more hooked with the first episode but I thought both were fantastic. The acting and writing have been top notch. A little slow paced but that's alright since it's engaging all the same. Really interested to see where they take things.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Yeah, discoverwestworld sends me to foxtel's site. (the australian cable company carrying this). It's all geolocked.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

MikeJF posted:

Interesting Ford sees himself as a blackhat. And Bernard wears a baseball cap, he refuses to buy into the hats at all.

Fords hat is the style that old west preachers used to wear which ties in the the cross he showed to Bernard

Tide fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Oct 8, 2016

ghouldaddy07
Jun 23, 2008
I hope Ed Harris is the victim of Westworlds most elaborate Dickbutt prank.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Anybody else get really scared that Ford was gonna do some deplorable poo poo with that kid?

whalestory
Feb 9, 2004

hey ya'll!

Pillbug
I'm a little hesitant to accept all the westworld website stuff as canon I guess. Like can we take every single detail mentioned to be consistent and relevant to the show itself? So i'm a little doubtful of using any part of it to speculate

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

...and when they arrived at the bottom of the maze, they all screamed with horror on their faces, "he's married??!!?"

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

whalestory posted:

I'm a little hesitant to accept all the westworld website stuff as canon I guess. Like can we take every single detail mentioned to be consistent and relevant to the show itself? So i'm a little doubtful of using any part of it to speculate

So far it has been. We'll see how it goes, but there were things that were unclear in episode 1 that the website said that episode 2 totally confirmed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
So the guests can't shoot eachother because the guns won't fire when aimed at something with human body temperature (according to the movie), but what's to keep them from harming eachother with any other object?

• Locked thread