Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Saga posted:

^^^^
e: 316i non-turbo auto cabrio versus Mini Works GP. There you go. ee: both of which probably cost about £28k when new!
The correct solution to that situation is six cylinders.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

IT EEES EXTREEEMLY DAYNGAREOOOUS, AHND COULD AHTTACK AT ANEEE MOHMENT, SO WE MUST DEEEAL WITH IT

(Squish)

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
So, Mathias Wandel is some sort of savant when it comes to wood. But, with metal, uh...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQon7u8kMtk

"The axle is electrical conduit, so I hammered a dowel inside to give it some strength."

interwhat
Jul 23, 2005

it's kickin in dude
I've been trying to wrap my head around what's with the extended service intervals. Working on Audi's, I can tell you with 90% confidence that chain tensioner failure is caused by lack of oil quality and quantity. Every car I service is usually over the 10k mile period, minimum oil light on, and rarely ever on the dipstick. I guess manufacturers want to make vehicles that have to be serviced less frequently, yet owners could hardly give two fucks about maintaining their cars and are super quick to throw a tantrum when they bend valves.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

interwhat posted:

I've been trying to wrap my head around what's with the extended service intervals. Working on Audi's, I can tell you with 90% confidence that chain tensioner failure is caused by lack of oil quality and quantity. Every car I service is usually over the 10k mile period, minimum oil light on, and rarely ever on the dipstick. I guess manufacturers want to make vehicles that have to be serviced less frequently, yet owners could hardly give two fucks about maintaining their cars and are super quick to throw a tantrum when they bend valves.

How likely is a major failure going to occur during the ownership of the initial purchaser?

Surely the ideal car (for a manufacturer) is one that needs no maintenance during ownership and then spontaneously decomposes the day after the first buyer sells it?

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

interwhat posted:

If you look, the increase in maintenance intervals coincides nicely with more manufacturers doing included services for the first 3 and 36.

Suddenly that motor that needed an oil change every 5k needs one every 12k. It really needs it every 5, but it'll last that 3/36 on a 12k interval.

Then it's the second owners problem, because whoops, lease and warranty are up.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
I wonder if that's why the intervals on my Mazda3 are a bit shorter in my market (5 year unlimited mileage warranty) than they are in the states where the warranty is more limited

nene
Jan 5, 2007
Mad Scientist

Terrible Robot posted:

This is all super interesting and stuff but how about ya'll make a separate thread about stage sound and lighting, or post more pictures of what happens when poo poo goes wrong with it.

Fan from me to deny your wish. Here's a (speaker) relay tower having a lie-down after a long festival

I found a video of someone panning around the site afterwards, all eight towers have gone over.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xIP581Nxahc

The suspension points look okay, but the truss has folded in the middle. I can't tell if it's an overload failure or an assembly failure, but someone done hosed up. It looks like they were in the middle of loading the trusses onto the mothergrid, or loading the trusses themselves, and it folded up. Gut feeling is that the unsupported spans were just too long.

Last one for today:

This was at an expo in Vegas. There's a whole supergrid on towers, with a whole series of smaller truss suspended from it. The towers themselves are on bases, with outriggers, and are made of vertical truss with a chain hoist that hauls the main truss up to trim height. It looks like a tower has gone over, and the whole thing cascaded to the ground. You usually use towers like these when there aren't suspension or rigging points in the ceiling that you can use, and nothing you can put a basket around. In the second image you can see a close up of one of the towers, with the vertical truss going through the centre of the larger section, the hook of the chain hoist, and the truss wrap. It's not actually a truss wrap either, it's a drift wire that's been joined into a loop using a bow shackle, and another bow shackle onto the hook. Truss wraps are usually covered in plastic so that they don't wear the truss.

One of the things I notice, is that the truss has folded up where it was wrapped, but the drift wire doesn't look long enough to wrap the whole truss. The loop is also backwards around one of the tubes, like someone tried to loop it around the tube to stabilise it, like you would with a nylon spanset or sling, even though it's not needed here. The truss seems to have failed near the welds at the end, too. There's no way to tell if it failed before it came down, and was the cause, or failed during the collapse, but this right here is one of the reasons I don't like coated or painted tubes or truss; you can't inspected it visually for signs of metal fatigue.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
That Stanley wrench is $11.88 on Amazon right now, I picked one up.

FuzzKill
Apr 1, 2005

Snuff the punk.
Horrible design failure?

This is all for a brake booster.

Intake hose
Intake resonator
Battery
Battery tray
3pcs wiper cowling
Wiper arms
Wiper motor
Wiper linkage
Metal cowling
Master cylinder
Both pipes from ABS to master
Vacuum hose brackets
Heater hose brackets
Evap bracket

And blood. One must always make a sacrifice to the automotive gods. And a bastard to bleed on top of that, took almost 2 quarts worth to get all the air out, even with the computer ABS bleed procedure.
2010 Mazda CX-9

0toShifty
Aug 21, 2005
0 to Stiffy?

FuzzKill posted:

Horrible design failure?

Intake hose
Intake resonator
Battery
Battery tray
3pcs wiper cowling
Wiper arms
Wiper motor
Wiper linkage
Metal cowling
Master cylinder
Vacuum hose brackets
Heater hose brackets
Evap bracket

And blood. One must always make a sacrifice to the automotive gods. And a bastard to bleed on top of that, took almost 2 quarts worth to get all the air out, even with the computer ABS bleed procedure.
2010 Mazda CX-9

Isn't this booster (and the Escape one) covered by some extended warranty?

That's the one that whistles like a steam train when you push the pedal fairly hard, right?

FuzzKill
Apr 1, 2005

Snuff the punk.

0toShifty posted:

Isn't this booster (and the Escape one) covered by some extended warranty?

That's the one that whistles like a steam train when you push the pedal fairly hard, right?

She actually brought it to me right from the dealer so I guess not. They did just perform a recall with updated control arms, which is nice. Was leaking vacuum at light brake pressure, and would get very hard (and hissing). Keep pressing and it would regain full assist and put you through the windshield.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Step one for removing the struts from a Nissan Tiida is remove wiper arms...

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Wranger heater core replacement requires removal of the fender liners.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Is it the Sebring that requires removing a tire to change the battery?

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Reminds me, I have to do the compressor on my sister's CRX soon.

Not looking forward to ripping off the entire short clip.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

QuarkMartial posted:

Yessir. Its also why the wiring harness gets ripped out when the battery tray rusts out and the harness wraps around the axle.

Edit: The dodge avenger is like this and some of the minivans. Basically Chrysler doing what it does.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

FuzzKill posted:

Horrible design failure?

Intake hose
Intake resonator
Battery
Battery tray
3pcs wiper cowling
Wiper arms
Wiper motor
Wiper linkage
Metal cowling
Master cylinder
Vacuum hose brackets
Heater hose brackets
Evap bracket

2010 Mazda CX-9

This type of poo poo is why I got sick of wrenching on the Mazdaspeed3. "Remove part, install part" came sandwiched in between twenty "remove unrelated part" and "install unrelated part".

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

QuarkMartial posted:

Also the F355

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Don't you have to take the entire F355 apart in order to do anything to it?

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Cojawfee posted:

Don't you have to take the entire F355 apart in order to do anything to it?

F355 manual, chapter 113.7.1: Spark Plug Change

Step 1. Remove engine

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I would have hoped that above a certain size there's enough space inside the cavernous frame and bodywork to send a black thumb in.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Funzo posted:

Related, but does anyone know if there's anything to look out for on the 2015 non-S models? I was eyeing one up as a daily commuter. I'm fine with the maintenance, I've got a high-mileage E90 so that's nothing new.

The thing I would say about the new chassis minis is that I wouldn't own one. The fact that you cannot get a mini without a turbo anymore makes me not want to bother. I've noticed that BMW has their naturally aspirated game very nicely locked down, but add turbos and all the bullshit comes out. So, the F56 non S is a 3 cylinder turbo and the F56 S is a 4 cylinder turbo, and now they started putting magnetic ride and poo poo like that in them. I've already spoken on magnetic shocks in this thread.

The reason I have a non-turbo R56 automatic is because my wife absolutely loved the car. Happy Wife = Happy Life. I keep up with its service and she loves the thing. It's a fun car to drive in anger, surprisingly. The auto and the throttle response in 'Sport' mode are quite fun and very responsive. It has the charm of driving a slow car fast for sure. It certainly out handles my boxtruck-like base model impreza when I'm pissed at morons with their phones in their faces. I got one of the last R56 models ever made, so most of the defects of the earlier ones have been ironed out. (late 2012 build date, 2013MY)

e: seeing all those pictures of collapsed stages makes me happy about my anxiety around large crowds and loud noise. I haven't been to but one concert in my life (Taproot & Mudvayne @ Sunset station circa 2001)

BloodBag fucked around with this message at 11:39 on Oct 9, 2016

Veeb0rg
Jul 24, 2001

THIS CONVERSATION IS NONPRODUCTIVE!

clam ache posted:

Yessir. Its also why the wiring harness gets ripped out when the battery tray rusts out and the harness wraps around the axle.

Edit: The dodge avenger is like this and some of the minivans. Basically Chrysler doing what it does.

And the 2nd generation of the lh platform as well, 300m's, intrepid's etc.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

InitialDave posted:

The correct solution to that situation is six cylinders.

Yeah but these days that means you have to buy a 335i or d which will then blow up. :)

If I keep my -ti for the time being, it's going to be replaced with a 130i M Sport when prices drop south of £3,000 That may be the last good BMW road car that hasn't been broken by turbos, direct injection etc etc.

BloodBag posted:

The thing I would say about the new chassis minis is that I wouldn't own one.

They are loving ridiculously huge. I'm almost certain the 5 door (5 door! Mini!) is now bigger than an E46 touring. Is it a mechanical failure when your entire brand name becomes oxymoronic?

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

I agree. I'm not a fan of even the base cooper anymore. The nose got super long and due to this, the wheels are no longer at the corners. I also don't like the 'bar of soap in your mouth' look the front end has now. I just don't get why bmw insists on making all these stupid little niche vehicles with the mini brand. How many 2 door suv things (paceman) did they even sell? I can't imagine they made anywhere near their engineering budget back on that.

ionn
Jan 23, 2004

Din morsa.
Grimey Drawer
There's just nothing mini about the Mini anymore. They have resorted to cheap optical illusions to make it look small, such as huge wheel arches and enormous rear-view mirror. And because they still sold well, they just had to make the 5-door one as well as the Countryman/Paceman abominations. The sportier 3-door hatchbacks are pretty neat cars, but it's just as large as any other regular compact car and in no way deserves its name.

Edit for content and not just bitching about cars I don't own (crosspost from my project thread): Not really a horrible failure yet, but still badly broken. This is the play in the driveshaft carrier bearing bushing on my Nissan hardbody truck:

ionn fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Oct 9, 2016

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

That gif looks like a Guillermo Del Toro creation in a Hellboy movie.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull

BloodBag posted:

... I've already spoken on magnetic shocks in this thread...

I missed this, does it boil down to "gently caress magnetic shocks"? Because from research I've been doing trying to come up with good shock solutions, gently caress magnetic shocks.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

BloodBag posted:

I've already spoken on magnetic shocks in this thread.

As much as I hate being a pedant, you actually haven't in this thread. I'm watching the kids right now so I had time to check. I'd be pretty interested in hearing what you have to say, besides obviously "gently caress magnetic shocks".

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSi6J-QK1lw

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.

:eng101: No highs, no lows, must be Bose!

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Memento posted:

As much as I hate being a pedant, you actually haven't in this thread. I'm watching the kids right now so I had time to check. I'd be pretty interested in hearing what you have to say, besides obviously "gently caress magnetic shocks".

They are cool great technology until they fail after the warranty is up and you have to blow 4 figures on replacing them.

stump
Jan 19, 2006

Pomp and Circumcized posted:

:eng101: No highs, no lows, must be Bose!

Buy Other Suspension Equipment

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull

kastein posted:

They are cool great technology until they fail after the warranty is up and you have to blow 4 figures on replacing them.

According to a shock guy at Penske, they couldn't get them to hold to professional racing style tolerances for a whole race because of wear - it's pumping an abrasive liquid around and just eats the pistons. For OEM use they apparently just put up with it and possibly just fiddle things to compensate until it gets too bad.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
You could "fix" that by using harder material for the pistons and cylinders than the ferrofluid magnetic powder, but yeah, you will still eat piston seals, which IIRC are basically just O-rings.

E: nope, at least not on the ones I just looked at, maybe some OEM ones use that setup but certainly nothing race oriented.

kastein fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Oct 10, 2016

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

kastein posted:

Sometimes you gotta drive the drat thing TOMORROW and two critical exhaust fasteners break off at 10pm.

And then you just leave your makeshift fix there because it still works and if it ain't broke (again), don't fix it.

Several years pass.

Next owner or junkyard shopper scratches his/her head wondering what the gently caress is that, why and how.

BloodBag posted:

E: TL;DR, it's got a bad reputation because people buy a car that needs special care because it's cute and are surprised when it doesn't respond well to being neglected like a Yaris.

Same applies to the Cadillac Catera (save for the "cute" part), a German car (Opel Omega-based) with a special snowflake British-built V6 that required special care, and yet people were surprised when it fell apart after being neglected like a 3800.

90s Solo Cup fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Oct 10, 2016

big dong wanter
Jan 28, 2010

The future for this country is roads, freeways and highways

To the dangerzone

Domestic Amuse posted:

Same applies to the Cadillac Catera (save for the "cute" part), a German car (Opel Omega-based) with a special snowflake British-built V6 that required special care, and yet people were surprised when it fell apart after being neglected like a 3800.

they shoulda just sent over the holden commodore, same platform but with a 3800 standard and ls1 optional (also available in ute and wagon)

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

stump posted:

Buy Other Suspension Equipment

This is why I have the Harmon/Kardon suspension package on my car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I went on Ebay and bought a Polk Audio suspension for my car, but it performed like garbage and rusted quickly. Turns out it was a Polk Audio sticker over the top of the original logo, Clarion.

:argh: Chinese sellers