Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

CelticPredator posted:

It was almost great, even though I liked it. People really need to invest in monsters yo.

They spent money on the most generalized alien "grey" CGI, and just gave it mind powers so it didn't actually have to do any action.

It casted spells.....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I just love that there are so many real world examples that refute "why don't they just stop filming?"

One of my found footage dream movies is some shitheaded but endearing kids sneaking out on Purge night in an attempt to capture sick murder footage that they can cut into Vines the next day

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Oh snap a Found Footage thread.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Yo, this is dope.

You should watch the entirely nonfiction FF classic:

The Sinking Of The Concordia
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4MtWxnRBVvg

I watched this last time you linked it, super dope.

Anyone mention Koji yet? His ff movies are amazing. (sorry for not reading the short thread before posting, just excited there's an ff thread!)

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

weekly font posted:

So, this will probably required a wall of black text, but I'm interested in found footage movies that DON'T end with either A) everyone dead or B) a spooky face leaping at the camera. I have seen Lake Mungo and As Above So Below. I don't know if more exist.

Snow on Tha Bluff.

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

I'M BACK AND I'M SCARIN' WHITE FOLKS

Jenny Angel posted:

I'm extremely into its pervasive sense of inevitability, all the poo poo where they're sorta realizing that they needed to have a plan in place like 30 minutes ago but still aren't really doing anything about it

this is eerily similar to my life today, meaning right now, with a hurricane approaching

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Lil Mama Im Sorry posted:

this is eerily similar to my life today, meaning right now, with a hurricane approaching

Capitalize on the opportunity and make a found footage movie about it.

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

Xenomrph posted:

Capitalize on the opportunity and make a found footage movie about it.

I'm making Into the Storm 2

so far it's mostly scenes of me posting

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Sounds riveting :allears:

It's okay, every found footage movie has the mundane lead in stuff before it all goes totally off the rails.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Tenzarin posted:

They spent money on the most generalized alien "grey" CGI, and just gave it mind powers so it didn't actually have to do any action.

It casted spells.....

Grey's can be super spooky and it's high time people realize this.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
I watched As Above So Below back to back with Final Prayer (which is also called the Borderlands, I think) and I thought the latter was a better film all around. I enjoyed AASB in parts, but the entire package felt very overproduced. I did appreciate that it was basically "Lara Croft's Scary Adventure" but it was just, too flashy? I guess? CG effects seemed really obvious and took me out of it at almost every point. The ending being relatively happy was an unexpected but welcome change though. Main character was baller AF and I'm glad she made it out ok.

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

Honestly, in any double-feature where you're watching Final Prayer for the first time, I feel like it's always gonna come out ahead of whatever you pair it with.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Levantine posted:

I watched As Above So Below back to back with Final Prayer (which is also called the Borderlands, I think) and I thought the latter was a better film all around. I enjoyed AASB in parts, but the entire package felt very overproduced. I did appreciate that it was basically "Lara Croft's Scary Adventure" but it was just, too flashy? I guess? CG effects seemed really obvious and took me out of it at almost every point. The ending being relatively happy was an unexpected but welcome change though. Main character was baller AF and I'm glad she made it out ok.

In AASB, I loved how the guy who barely talks and mostly just acts as a cameraman makes it out with the two love birds. That was unexpected.

MAXIMUM SWEAT
Apr 21, 2003

by Lowtax
Creep is on Netflix and is very good. Stars one of the Duplass brothers and he plays a great crazy person.
Skew is good for a watch, creepy movie.
Amber Alert is a good non-supernatural creepy movie, you can probably tell what its about by the name.
The Bay is a great documentary style found footage film, about pollution and creepy monsters.
Lovely Molly is amazing.
Possession of Michael King starts off strong, ends badly. Worth a watch.
Wer is fantastic. I dont really like werewolf or vampire movies but this one hit the spot.
I really like Banshee Chapter, has a Lovecraft vibe going on. The Atticus Institute is similar.
Delivery: The Best Within sounds really stupid and I cant believe they went with that name, but is a good ride and the end is crazy. If you have a pregnant wife or are pregnant its pretty intense.

This is a few I didn't see mentioned, but my absolute favorites are the Grave Encounter movies and Lake Mungo right under them. The Grave Encounter movies are pretty on the nose and cheesey, but maybe thats why I like them so much.

Murphys Law
Nov 1, 2005
Thank you, Xenomrph, for starting this thread. I've been really getting into found footage the past few years and it's not always easy finding discussions or information about FF movies.

What is everybody's take on Youtube series?

I really liked Marble Hornets, particularly season 1, which was my favorite of the Slenderman series. I know there were others being done at the same time, but the ones I was watching either ended or petered out with increasing delays between new entries.
I also really liked Louis Paxton, which I think was not as well known but well worth watching if you can find it.

Does anybody have any recommendations of other series that are worth getting into?

MAXIMUM SWEAT
Apr 21, 2003

by Lowtax

Murphys Law posted:

Thank you, Xenomrph, for starting this thread. I've been really getting into found footage the past few years and it's not always easy finding discussions or information about FF movies.

What is everybody's take on Youtube series?

I really liked Marble Hornets, particularly season 1, which was my favorite of the Slenderman series. I know there were others being done at the same time, but the ones I was watching either ended or petered out with increasing delays between new entries.
I also really liked Louis Paxton, which I think was not as well known but well worth watching if you can find it.

Does anybody have any recommendations of other series that are worth getting into?

Check out the Night Mind channel, in addition to being a great paranormal channel, most of his stuff is about Youtube series like this. He has quite a few recommendations.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Have any of you guys seen My Little Eye? It's been a long time, but I recall liking it. It's kind of a take on "Big Brother" with a bunch of people living in a house together, and then bad poo poo happens. It's mostly (entirely?) filmed via the cameras placed throughout the house.

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH
Has anyone else seen the movie Evidence (the one that came out in 2012, not the 2013 movie about a massacre)? It's probably has one of the most bizarre stories that goes from a group of campers being hunted by Bigfoot and somehow becomes a movie like The Crazies with infected people at a government facility. Hell I think it might have had some sort of aliens and genetic mutation subplot as well but it's been a long time since I saw it. It wasn't the best found footage film I've seen by far but they certainly tried to cram a lot of poo poo in it. It's probably worth a watch for FF junkies.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

my bat mitzvah ROCKED posted:

Has anyone else seen the movie Evidence (the one that came out in 2012, not the 2013 movie about a massacre)? It's probably has one of the most bizarre stories that goes from a group of campers being hunted by Bigfoot and somehow becomes a movie like The Crazies with infected people at a government facility. Hell I think it might have had some sort of aliens and genetic mutation subplot as well but it's been a long time since I saw it. It wasn't the best found footage film I've seen by far but they certainly tried to cram a lot of poo poo in it. It's probably worth a watch for FF junkies.

The way it just goes completely off the rails and turns into a fun house horror ride was a blast.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

CelticPredator posted:

Case in point: the alien abduction segment in V/H/S/2 (or The MacPherson Tape/Incident at Lake County, linked in the OP).

Basebf555 posted:

In AASB, I loved how the guy who barely talks and mostly just acts as a cameraman makes it out with the two love birds. That was unexpected.
The Pyramid almost does something similar, the camera operator largely becomes the voice of reason in the movie's last act and come THIS CLOSE to making it out alive.

Warm und Fuzzy
Jun 20, 2006

Harminoff posted:

During hurricane Sandy there was a couple that was live streaming their house getting flooded and a bunch of us were watching it in gbs. I kind of edited it down into a found footage movie. Kind of interesting to see what they actually get right in these movies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tcp8AfJW-mY

Thanks for this! I was glued to it the first time.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Jenny Angel posted:

One of my found footage dream movies is some shitheaded but endearing kids sneaking out on Purge night in an attempt to capture sick murder footage that they can cut into Vines the next day

I thought REC2 handled this admirably, when the police footage stops and the narrative switches to a group of shithead teens setting off fireworks on a rooftop.

HP Hovercraft
Jan 1, 2006

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Does Man Bites Dog count as a found footage film? I guess it's a mockumentary in a way but it's definitely horror and the footage had to be found by someone. Anyways I recommend that one if you haven't seen it.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

HP Hovercraft posted:

Does Man Bites Dog count as a found footage film? I guess it's a mockumentary in a way but it's definitely horror and the footage had to be found by someone. Anyways I recommend that one if you haven't seen it.

It was mentioned earlier in the thread, and while I haven't seen it yet, it certainly sounds like it's appropriate for this thread.
I just checked and it looks like Hulu Plus has it in their Criterion library. Especially if it's a horror movie (and since Hulu is losing its Criterion library soon), I'll bump it up to the top of my watchlist.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Man Bites Dog is satire, not horror, but that's nitpicking really.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

precision posted:

Man Bites Dog is satire, not horror, but that's nitpicking really.
This question is probably better suited for the general Horror thread, but could it be both? (See also: Shaun of the Dead, Cabin in the Woods, maybe Funny Games)

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Yeah, setting satire as being mutually exclusive from horror (or any genre) is odd.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Xenomrph posted:

This question is probably better suited for the general Horror thread, but could it be both? (See also: Shaun of the Dead, Cabin in the Woods, maybe Funny Games)

That's fair, it can be both. Naked is another example of a film being both horror and satire.

quote:

Johnny: Have you ever thought, right, but you don't know, but you may have already lived the happiest day in your whole fuckin' life and all you have left to look forward to is fuckin' sickness and purgatory?

Sophie: Oh, poo poo. I just live from day to day.

Johnny: I tend to skip a day now and again, if you know what I mean.

Books On Tape
Dec 26, 2003

Future of the franchise
Saw one called "Daylight" about a team of Child Protective Services people investigating child molesting cases that turn out to involve demons. If anybody else has seen this, can you explain what I just watched? TIA.

troll for dollars
Jan 10, 2005
I really like when home video footage turns up in non-FF movies for maximum effect. There's a sequence in Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer that is far and away the creepiest thing in the movie.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Bit of a cross-post from General, but are there FF movies where the bulk of the time, the characters in it don't realize/know the things that are watching them? Sure, you get it in little bits in every movie (Guy doesn't see The Monster looking at him, whatever), but I'm thinking more comprehensively.

The only suggestion is Lake Mungo.

VROOM VROOM
Jun 8, 2005
That basically sums up Resolution.

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

Haven't seen any Peter Watkins movies mentioned yet, one of the originators of the "found footage" style. Punishment Park and The War Game are classics

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Lil Mama Im Sorry posted:

I'm making Into the Storm 2

so far it's mostly scenes of me posting

And what found footage movie has scenes of the dork rear end protagonist posting on forums?? that's right Grave Encounters 2 baby

Xenomrph posted:

It was mentioned earlier in the thread, and while I haven't seen it yet, it certainly sounds like it's appropriate for this thread.
I just checked and it looks like Hulu Plus has it in their Criterion library. Especially if it's a horror movie (and since Hulu is losing its Criterion library soon), I'll bump it up to the top of my watchlist.

You, and all persons, should DEFINITELY be getting FilmStruck as soon as it launches anyway.

DeimosRising fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Oct 11, 2016

CARL MARK FORCE IV
Sep 2, 2007

I took a walk. And threw up in an English garden.

MisterBibs posted:

Bit of a cross-post from General, but are there FF movies where the bulk of the time, the characters in it don't realize/know the things that are watching them? Sure, you get it in little bits in every movie (Guy doesn't see The Monster looking at him, whatever), but I'm thinking more comprehensively.

The only suggestion is Lake Mungo.

The Devil's Due has this for large chunks of the movie, but I thought it was loving terrible, so ymmv.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 229 days!

alansmithee posted:

For non-horror Snow on da Bluff was pretty solid.

I'm also very fond of the forbidden files https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B2ARXsQI0gY

Basically a bunch of odd b&w shorts with some voice-over narration describing usually some supposed paranormal happenings. One thing I think helps is the format-youtube helps recapture the feeling that it's "real".

Pro-click right here.

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

Hodgepodge posted:

Pro-click right here.

Yeah, anyone who hasn't watched those yet should really get on that.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.
Yes, Forbidden Files is essential.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

This season of American Horror Story is found footage as gently caress.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3KUjpSNDlY4

The first half of the season is done in a reality documentary format, with talking head interviews and re-enactments, and the second half is the cast of the show, both the actors and the people they were based off of, return to the house along with a production crew to document them going back.

ruddiger fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Oct 22, 2016

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

CelticPredator posted:

the fire in the sky scene is still one of the scariest to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

ruddiger posted:

This season of American Horror Story is found footage as gently caress.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3KUjpSNDlY4

The first half of the season is done in a reality documentary format, with talking head interviews and re-enactments, and the second half is the cast of the show, both the actors and the people they were based off of, return to the house along with a production crew to document them going back.
That's sick.

• Locked thread