Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Cojawfee posted:

Don't you have to take the entire F355 apart in order to do anything to it?

Someday I'll find a way to breed midgets with really long fingers and make them all automotive experts, like Oompa Loompas of the car world

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

I went on Ebay and bought a Polk Audio suspension for my car, but it performed like garbage and rusted quickly. Turns out it was a Polk Audio sticker over the top of the original logo, Clarion.

:argh: Chinese sellers

You think that's bad? I once bought a Galaxy Note 7 edition Lamborghini.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Saga posted:

You think that's bad? I once bought a Galaxy Note 7 edition Lamborghini.

You can just say New York Lamborghini.

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all
Meanwhile it continues to do what it needs to do; because catching fire is something it needs to do, but hasn't quite decided to do at this moment.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

BOOTY-ADE posted:

Someday I'll find a way to breed midgets with really long fingers and make them all automotive experts, like Oompa Loompas of the car world

They exist, but Boeing hires them all to work inside the wings of their planes.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

BOOTY-ADE posted:

Reminds me of the US army brass who some time in the 60s said if NATO ever got into a land war with the USSR we would only need to hold them off long enough for the soviets to run out of left-handed midgets to crew their T-55 tanks.

Or something along those lines, Google is being exceptionally unhelpful in finding the actual quote.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Saga posted:

Yeah but these days that means you have to buy a 335i or d which will then blow up. :)

If I keep my -ti for the time being, it's going to be replaced with a 130i M Sport when prices drop south of £3,000 That may be the last good BMW road car that hasn't been broken by turbos, direct injection etc etc.

Turbos I can understand, throttle response etc.
But DI?

My next thought is you saying disc brakes ruined driving.

The one after that is "man i miss choke handles"

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
Depending on the engine, BMW direct injection uses expensive piezoelectric injectors. If the engine doesn't have them I don't see what the big deal is.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Domestic Amuse posted:

And then you just leave your makeshift fix there because it still works and if it ain't broke (again), don't fix it.

Several years pass.

Next owner or junkyard shopper scratches his/her head wondering what the gently caress is that, why and how.

That reminds me, the gas tank and battery on my white MJ are both still held in with ratchet straps

And have been since 2013

And will be until I strip it for parts

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Memento posted:

As much as I hate being a pedant, you actually haven't in this thread. I'm watching the kids right now so I had time to check. I'd be pretty interested in hearing what you have to say, besides obviously "gently caress magnetic shocks".

Ah, must've been the new car thread. From what I've been able to find on a corvette forum, the shocks end up being something like $4200 for the whole car, just in parts. Another thing I found was on an R8 forum saying that they're good for 30,000 miles until the ferrous grit wears the seals out on the shocks and they begin to leak.

Coming from an industry where they pump highly gritty material down metal pipes, I'll believe it. I've seen metal erosion from under 1000 hours of use that blew me away. God forbid if there were any cracks in the metal, then you've just created a yawning chasm down the middle of a 6,000 pound, forged block of 4130. At 15,000 psi. (Frack pumps, yo).

For instance: when a line fails at half that pressure, they tend to cut semis in half

quote:

As reported by industry website, Drilling Ahead, Halliburton was pumping the frac job at a reported 8,500 PSI (pounds per square inch) when the 7″ production casing parted about 100′ below ground level. This sudden upward force also parted the surface pipe just below the casinghead, and the entire assembly, including the frac stack and the attached frac iron, became a giant bottle rocket, landing on the wireline truck. Miraculously, no one was killed, and the only injury was the operator in the wireline truck, sustaining a concussion.

For anyone wondering, frack blocks that come back from the field always smell like horse poo poo. I have never been able to figure that out. And they're always packed, rear end in a top hat to bellybutton, full of sand.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Turbos I can understand, throttle response etc.
But DI?

My next thought is you saying disc brakes ruined driving.

The one after that is "man i miss choke handles"

The Germans screwed up direct injection. From the mid 2000s on, you have to blast all the carbon off the back of the intake valves because they didn't put in a fuel sprayer back there to clean them.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull
30,000 miles? Interesting, that's even shittier than I expected.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

quote:

8,500 PSI (pounds per square inch)

...the 7″ production casing

:stonklol:

Bass Ackwards
Nov 14, 2003

Anything can be used as a hammer if you try hard enough.

Domestic Amuse posted:

Same applies to the Cadillac Catera (save for the "cute" part), a German car (Opel Omega-based) with a special snowflake British-built V6 that required special care, and yet people were surprised when it fell apart after being neglected like a 3800.

Wikipedia page on the L81 V6 posted:

Firing order: 1-2-3-4-5-6

Really, I think the falling apart was inevitable...

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

BloodBag posted:

For anyone wondering, frack blocks that come back from the field always smell like horse poo poo. I have never been able to figure that out. And they're always packed, rear end in a top hat to bellybutton, full of sand.

Natural gas, part of which is methane, is usually found with oil. Probably related to that, I'd think.

smax
Nov 9, 2009

QuarkMartial posted:

Natural gas, part of which is methane, is usually found with oil. Probably related to that, I'd think.

Methane has no smell (which is why they have to add an odorant prior to distribution). The rotten egg smell in natural gas that's straight from the ground and crude oil is hydrogen sulfide, which can be very bad in large quantities.

Plus, there's a litany of other chemicals they may use when fracking, so who knows if there's something else in the mix.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

smax posted:

Methane has no smell (which is why they have to add an odorant prior to distribution). The rotten egg smell in natural gas that's straight from the ground and crude oil is hydrogen sulfide, which can be very bad in large quantities.

Plus, there's a litany of other chemicals they may use when fracking, so who knows if there's something else in the mix.

Oh. I thought it was methane that smelled. As a science teacher I ought to know better :v:

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Cojawfee posted:

The Germans screwed up direct injection. From the mid 2000s on, you have to blast all the carbon off the back of the intake valves because they didn't put in a fuel sprayer back there to clean them.

Oh yeah that problem.
I thought their comment was a qualitative 'driving feel' that DI somehow took away.
Which is what people usually mean when they talk about last good road cars.

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Oct 10, 2016

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Cojawfee posted:

Water injection seems to cut down on it based on stuff I've seen around here. Another good excuse to turn up the boost as well.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum

QuarkMartial posted:

Oh. I thought it was methane that smelled. As a science teacher I ought to know better :v:

Gas from the bunsen taps (and gas lines and bottles and...) smells because it has Methyl Mercaptan / Methanethiol or Ethanethiol added so you can smell it if you have a gas leak. TMYK.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Whenever the topic comes up, it's mandatory to post this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ku7TdLeEGsQ

Additives that make flames visible and gasses smell funny are for safety! :science:

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
I've never seen that video before and it's absolutely horrifying.

solarNativity
Nov 11, 2012

Oh yeah that problem.
I thought their comment was a qualitative 'driving feel' that DI somehow took away.
Which is what people usually mean when they talk about last good road cars.

Do you mean DI vs. earlier EFI (where injectors are located in ports just before the valves or even in the throttle body) or EFI in general vs. carbs?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

metaxus posted:

Really, I think the falling apart was inevitable...

I'd hope it's also a byproduct of a wonky cylinder numbering (i.e 1/3/5 and 2/4/6) but, yeah, that just seems... odd.

Godholio posted:

I've never seen that video before and it's absolutely horrifying.

This was an entirely too common thing for pretty much the whole run of methanol in Indycar. Scary as hell.

Cojawfee posted:

Plenty of non-German automakers have hosed this up too. I think Toyota is the only one who has it right with the combination of port/direct injection and I thought they had some form of patent on it.

If I ever (more like when, it's an inevitability) get another DI car, it's getting some form of water/methanol/fuel injection early on, just to help with that intake valve garbage.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
The Toyota one has a "cruising" TBI setup, right? From what I understood it switched in the intake injection when using cruise control or other constant-throttle applications, and DI for power pulls and immediately variable stuff.

That could have been a fever-dream, though.

E: not tbi but port you know what I mean

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

xzzy posted:

Additives that make flames visible and gasses smell funny are for safety! :science:

Are you sure it's not a bee attack?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

QuarkMartial posted:

This is why odorants are added: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_London_School_explosion

DocCynical
Jan 9, 2003

That is not possible just now

smax posted:

The rotten egg smell in natural gas that's straight from the ground and crude oil is hydrogen sulfide, which can be very bad in large quantities.

I wouldn't call 700 PPM a large quantity though. poo poo, even 100 PPM will start to gently caress you up.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

xzzy posted:

Ricky Bobby, you are not on fire!!

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
100LL leaves white on your exhaust and smells..... fruity... after being burned. I've definitely been behind some bikes that are downright toxic though, watering eyes and poo poo.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

DocCynical posted:

I wouldn't call 700 PPM a large quantity though. poo poo, even 100 PPM will start to gently caress you up.

The best part is that it anaesthetizes the olfactory nerve, so you can smell it at concentrations that won't really hurt you, but much over that you lose your ability to smell it.

Bonus is that it can be used to put mice into a state of suspended animation, from which they can be revived with no ill effects. Doesn't seem to work in larger mammals, though.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

IOwnCalculus posted:

I'd hope it's also a byproduct of a wonky cylinder numbering (i.e 1/3/5 and 2/4/6) but, yeah, that just seems... odd.
I think they just weren't particularly good engines, especially in comparison to the Carlton's straight six. Supposedly the later 3.2 V6 is better.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

N is for Nipples posted:

Do you mean DI vs. earlier EFI (where injectors are located in ports just before the valves or even in the throttle body) or EFI in general vs. carbs?

I thought saga was bemoaning DI as something bad for a road car.

And yeah toyota has that dual injection thing going, think its called d-4d or D-4i or something.
They made a fuss about it when they announced the FRS engine.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.

spog posted:

Are you sure it's not a bee attack?

If it was, then surely you'd "kill it with fire"?

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

I thought saga was bemoaning DI as something bad for a road car.

And yeah toyota has that dual injection thing going, think its called d-4d or D-4i or something.
They made a fuss about it when they announced the FRS engine.

D4-S. D4-D is their Common Rail Diesel engine tech.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
If the DI carbon thing is really as serious as VW apologists claim then we should be hearing a lot about carbon buildup on Hyundai/Kia, GM, Mazda(skyactiv) and Honda DI engines, none of which use secondary injectors.

What's more likely, that all these other companies that sell many times more DI engined cars than VW does are wrong and somehow there has been no public outcry? Or that VW is just bad at making engines?

Mr-Spain
Aug 27, 2003

Bullshit... you can be mine.

Pomp and Circumcized posted:

If it was, then surely you'd "kill it with fire"?

Tommy Boy dude.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Throatwarbler posted:

If the DI carbon thing is really as serious as VW apologists claim then we should be hearing a lot about carbon buildup on Hyundai/Kia, GM, Mazda(skyactiv) and Honda DI engines, none of which use secondary injectors.

What's more likely, that all these other companies that sell many times more DI engined cars than VW does are wrong and somehow there has been no public outcry? Or that VW is just bad at making engines?

BMWs have the same issue, on both the diesel and the gas motors.
Subarus are having the issue.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I had it on my Mazdaspeed3. The issue is bad enough to cause a loss of power, but it's so gradual that I'm sure most people wouldn't notice it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I did enough bitching about my BMW 335D CBU issues, but here are some cliffnotes:

BMW doesn't cover the service, even though it was occurring around 40k miles
The motor has two sets of intake ports in the head. It's expensive to have the cleaning done (~$2000) and it's a pain in the rear end to DIY
It caused a large loss of power and MPG, as well as heavy vibration at idle and a flashing CEL.

I got burned by that car in that I sold my E30 for it. gently caress that car.