Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Cojawfee posted:

No one will ever get their insurance to sign off on letting people strap cell phones to their faces and drive gokarts.
Yeah, it'll have to be a future generation of AR HUD type stuff where you can definitely still operate even when the system goes down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloodysabbath
May 1, 2004

OH NO!
Anyone know when the Touch preorder will be live? Or did it already happen and sold out in like five seconds?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I'm on my phone, so no links, but Brenden Iribe just confirmed on Reddit that the extra cameras that will go up for preorder later in the month will also come with USB extension cables.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

bloodysabbath posted:

Anyone know when the Touch preorder will be live? Or did it already happen and sold out in like five seconds?

Seems like it's not live yet https://www3.oculus.com/en-us/rift/

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
I heard 12pm Pacific, so about 3 hours from now.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Is this preorder for everyone or just those on the list (that I cancelled myself off of because of Best Buy)?

e: appears to be everyone. sweet

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Brendan Iribe has confirmed that the $80 Rift sensor package will include an extension cable.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

AndrewP posted:

Is this preorder for everyone or just those on the list (that I cancelled myself off of because of Best Buy)?

e: appears to be everyone. sweet

Everyone gets to preorder but people who preordered the Rift get to skip ahead in line.

Electromax
May 6, 2007

Cojawfee posted:

No one will ever get their insurance to sign off on letting people strap cell phones to their faces and drive gokarts.

Or you just have gokarts mounted on stationary hydraulic things you sit in that don't actually move, just give you force feedback or something. The headset handles the rest. Just the next gen of those podracer arcade games.

e: also VR podracing.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
I'll just leave this here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hsaLDnl_fEs

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Electromax posted:

Or you just have gokarts mounted on stationary hydraulic things you sit in that don't actually move, just give you force feedback or something. The headset handles the rest. Just the next gen of those podracer arcade games.

e: also VR podracing.

They already have something like this at Six Flags- a roller coaster where you wear a VR headset during the ride.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
Sorry to keep posting the Tested videos but this wrap-up has some info on a whole bunch of games, including the Lone Echo multiplayer, which is basically an Ender's Game-style arena thing, which also sounds very cool: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_vyVXuc1Rc&t=1720s

El Grillo fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Oct 10, 2016

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Hilariously awesome.

Also, it's funny how even today certain media elements try to make the Prowler look like a Badass car...

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

Cojawfee posted:

I'm on my phone, so no links, but Brenden Iribe just confirmed on Reddit that the extra cameras that will go up for preorder later in the month will also come with USB extension cables.

https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/56s7ex/nate_mitchell_vp_of_product_i_dont_want_to_eat_my/d8lxrc8

That's pretty awesome. It's like Oculus are taking certain people's worries and complaints and knocking them down one by one. Official roomscale support-check, extension cable-check, more immersive earbuds that blocks out outside sounds-check. They also seems pretty confident that they won't have any shipping issues, so fingers crossed. Also, Steam Dev days is this week and I'm excited to see if they have any new VR information they talk about.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

Poetic Justice posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/56s7ex/nate_mitchell_vp_of_product_i_dont_want_to_eat_my/d8lxrc8

That's pretty awesome. It's like Oculus are taking certain people's worries and complaints and knocking them down one by one. Official roomscale support-check, extension cable-check, more immersive earbuds that blocks out outside sounds-check. They also seems pretty confident that they won't have any shipping issues, so fingers crossed. Also, Steam Dev days is this week and I'm excited to see if they have any new VR information they talk about.

All good quality of life improvements! Now please open your wallet for things that should have been day one features.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Welp, Touch order placed. Estimated shipping cost is showing as zero, interestingly enough.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
Yeah, Touch pre-orders are up

https://www.oculus.com/cart/

Make sure you login with the same email you used to order your Rift.

^^^^on the email receipt it does say "Taxes, Surcharges and Fees: Applicable shipping, taxes and duties will be added to and charged in your payment upon shipment of the unit."

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Order placed. I have to think they'll have enough stock this time around. They know how many Rifts are out there.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
Got mine in. Nice that the "order placed" page confirms the preferred place in line for Touch.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

StarkRavingMad posted:

Got mine in. Nice that the "order placed" page confirms the preferred place in line for Touch.

do you have an estimated shipping date?

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

StarkRavingMad posted:

Yeah, I was a little worried about that since I did the initial Rift order as a guest, but everything seems to have linked up fine.

e:

AndrewP posted:

Estimated shipping dates: Dec 06 - Dec 15

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

AndrewP posted:

Mine says Dec 6th- 15th

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
Interesting that the one I preordered from Amazon still says November 23rd release date. The page still isn't publicly searchable so who knows.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

mine is the same even without the preferred place in line. I hope everyone gets their Touch at the same time so we can all have fun together! But I'm sure that would piss off a lot of Redditors who expected the preorder bonus to grant them Touch a month early or something.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Poetic Justice posted:

^^^^on the email receipt it does say "Taxes, Surcharges and Fees: Applicable shipping, taxes and duties will be added to and charged in your payment upon shipment of the unit."
Taxes are already on there and shipping cost was similarly present when I placed my Rift pre-order. Doesn't necessarily mean anything, of course, and I imagine we'll receive confirmation one way or the other soon enough.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

AndrewP posted:

I forget exactly what it said, but I think it was some early December date.

AndrewP posted:

mine is the same even without the preferred place in line. I hope everyone gets their Touch at the same time so we can all have fun together! But I'm sure that would piss off a lot of Redditors who expected the preorder bonus to grant them Touch a month early or something.

Yeah, I'm assuming this is just if they run out of stock, the preferred pre-orders get sent first, not any early access. Hopefully they can cover everyone.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Touch shipping cost update: yep, it's free.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Now to get my PSVR from Amazon to Flip to cover my Touch Order. :woop:

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Helter Skelter posted:

Okay, that was my one complaint about them trying to match Vive's value proposition. Good on them since the Oculus plus Touch now seems to match Vive MSRP precisely.

w00tazn
Dec 25, 2004
I don't say w00t in real life
Got my place in line as well.

Interesting that it shows up on my orders as the same date that I originally place my order for the Rift.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

Helter Skelter posted:

That's awesome, I had assumed it was gonna be another ~$30. Makes me tempted to actually order those earbuds now.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I ordered touch and the ear buds.

Numinous
May 20, 2001

College Slice
Due to my buying an Oculus PC bundle and cancelling my pre-order I went the amazon route this time. Lets hope they come through!

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
I still get a touch reservation if I preordered the rift with a guest account right? Hope so

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

Surprise Giraffe posted:

I still get a touch reservation if I preordered the rift with a guest account right? Hope so

Someone wrote this on reddit

"I pre-ordered rift using a guest account and pre-ordered touch using my oculus account and got a message on the order confirmation that I had priority status.

Just make sure you use the same e-mail address.
"

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Surprise Giraffe posted:

As long as the guest account and your current Oculus account use the same email address, yes.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

So it seems that the Santa Cruz prototype isn't wireless video, it's actually just all being done on the headset so it's probably going to be limited to cellphone games at the moment.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

s.i.r.e. posted:

So it seems that the Santa Cruz prototype isn't wireless video, it's actually just all being done on the headset so it's probably going to be limited to cellphone games at the moment.
The inside out tracking is the more interesting part anyway. I'm okay with being tethered to a PC for high end stuff, but positionally tracked mobile VR is gonna be a game changer.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
I don't think Oculus will have wireless video for a while. They are VERY strict on latency so I just don't see them doing it at this point in the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Nalin posted:

I don't think Oculus will have wireless video for a while. They are VERY strict on latency so I just don't see them doing it at this point in the game.
I wouldn't be so sure; now that they have ASW they've said they're okay with a 45fps game framerate, which means a typical 44-66ms latency from position tracking to swap-away1. Those numbers are starting to get into the range where wireless image transmission is feasible.

1Between 22ms and 44ms of rendering depending on queue-ahead, then 22ms of frames being drawn based on that rendering until it swaps to the next frame.