Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Day 10 - The Devil's Backbone is the first in Del Toro's "People Do Horrible Things to Children During the Spanish Civil War" trilogy (part three coming someday, I'm sure). And unsurprisingly, it's fantastic.

The plot is simple enough. A young boy is abandoned at a remote orphanage where he deals with his minders, fellow children, a war that is rapidly closing in on them, and a ghost that's stalking the halls at night.

I feel like this is something that has likely been said many times before, but this film is really a gothic novel moved to twentieth century Spain. The archetypes are all there, they all play the traditional parts, and the plot unfolds in the way you'd expect. It's so geared to the gothic style that it feels jarring when the civil war intrudes on the story because it's one of the few things in the film that aren't gothic in style.

I loved the ghost effects in this film. Especially during that middle sequence where it turns up and you start getting a really good look at the design and the whole thing comes together.

Del Toro always has a great visual style and the colors in particular here are striking. The way the contrast often frames characters looks terrific. It really works with the ghost effects, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
this year I'm making another attempt at watching at least 31 movies for the challenge(I'm a bit behind though), this year though I've got an extra twist to the challenge, I'm watching these with my younger sister(she's 13), here's what we've watched so far;

1. Reanimator: I personally thought this was great, although it does lose a little steam towards the end in my opinion, as for my sister's thoughts, she thought it was okay if not all that scary, she was also annoyed at all the nude cadavers

me: 4/5
sister: 3/5

2. Cybernetics Guardian: not quite a pure horror movie, this obscure 80's Anime OVA is a favorite of mine for looking good, having pretty decent animation, and having a really kickass soundtrack, sister thought it was okay, but complained about how it barely had anything truly horrifying about it beyond the violence

sis: 2/5

3. Cloverfield: 8 years later and overall this movie holds up as well as it did when I saw it premiere in theaters(even if I think they could have shaved off about 5-10 minutes off the party scene in the beginning), so far it's been the movie my sister has liked the most and had the most reaction to

me: 5/5
sis: 5/5

4. An American Werewolf In London: still a classic, sister liked it pretty well for the most part(she got quite a laugh from the scene where all the undead offer suggestions for how the main character should kill himself), although she was annoyed by the sex scene, and thought the ending was a bit too abrupt(a sentiment I agree with)

me: 5/5
sis: 4/5

5. The House On Haunted Hill: this we started a couple days ago and need to finish, RL issues have caused some delays in us watching anything since Friday

as for what's next, well still figuring that out, I have access to Netflix, Amazon Prime, and now Shudder, so I have plenty of legal streaming options(not to mention various :filez: possibilities) and a handful of movies I own in a physical format, so feel free to make some suggestions(might go see Shin Godzilla sometime in the next couple days)

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

K. Waste posted:

Day 9

Ah, Turner Classic Movies. So it turns out even though there was a pretty certain drop-off in quality between Bride of Frankenstein and Son of Frankenstein, The Ghost of Frankenstein is many orders of magnitude more dispensable. I feel like you can always tell which ones of these movies is gonna be a dog by how much work was put into its opening credits.

To wit, Frankenstein Meets the Wolf Man has great opening credits, and is also a cool little movie, and passingly worthy of the Whale films.

The House of Frankenstein just runs amok. Not enough to sink your teeth into.

Good night for it, though.

Day 10

Caught a gander at The Face of Fu Manchu from '65. Was even more racist than I was expecting it to be, but still kind of works as a hyperbolic time capsule of the fragility of white, post-colonial consciousness.

Will be getting up early tomorrow to catch some more Christopher Lee goodies.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
13. Bone Tomahawk (2015): I really wanted to like this one, but I really couldn't get into it at all. I was pleased to see Sid Haig in a cameo, and his appearance had me really excited. Unfortunately, the film is a bit of a slog to get through. As other posters have pointed out, it has really boring cinematography. I thought the set design, especially the savage cafe, was also poor. I'll give the movie props for having Kurt Russel in it though, he still seems like he really enjoys himself in westerns.

14. The Town that Dreaded Sundown (1976): I hadn't even heard of this one until it had been remade, and I'm kind of baffled as to why. It's obviously not the first slasher, but it seems like it should have a bigger reputation as helping to bridge the gap between Black Christmas and Halloween. I definitely thought of Mike a Myers when seeing the killer in this one.

The movie is about the small, but growing, city of Texarkana that is being terrorized by a serial killer. He stacks at random every 3 weeks. It not only deals with the murders, but as the title suggests, the reaction of the townsfolk to a new issue that they would never have imagined happening there.

It's a really cool movie, and I'm glad I watched it.

15. The Zodiac Killer (1971): this is a silly movie that is really just a series of vignettes about how the Zodiac killer could be anyone. It's cheesy as hell. It's interesting to note that it was made very shortly after the real life killings, so it works a bit as a historical curiosity. Of course we now know Ted Cruz was the killer, so it makes the movie seem even more outdated.

Watched (15: The Walking Dead, Most Likely to Die, Trick or Treats, Black Sabbath, The Pack, Emelie, Halloween H20, The Taking of Debra Logan, Ghoulies 3, CHUD 2, Waxwork, Bone Tomahawk, The Town That Dreaded Sundown, The Zodiac Killer

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
#24 Raw Force

A world-class Martial Arts club decides to take a cruise, including our three main heroes, with one destination being a legendary island where the spirits of fallen warriors live. The cruise seems to be going along wacky and fine, until they cross paths with a group of Jade smugglers (led by an Asian man with a hitler 'stache that has a thick German accent!) How their racket works is they kidnap girls, and trade them with the evil monks on the Warrior Island for the valuable jade. The smugglers attack and sink the ship, leaving only a liferaft's worth of people, who slowly drift their way to Warrior Island. There it's discovered that what these monks do with the women is barbecue and eat them for black magic power to bring the dead warriors on the island to life! Now our survivors must battle it out with a horde of fighting zombies and try to make it off the island alive!

Boy is this a weird one. It's incredibly low budget, with laughable acting and atrocious overdubs. It feels like a corny rip off of The Love Boat only with naked ladies and big fight scenes, until suddenly about halfway in the Smugglers start killing people left and right. And THEN, we start getting zombies! One thing I can say for sure is this film is a wild ride, but regardless, only go in if you like the kind of cheese you laugh at.

I give Raw Force :madmax::madmax::madmax: out of Five

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
I fell behind on my spooky movies, but it was Thanksgiving, so that happens.

Jacob's Ladder - I had actually never seen this and was avoiding it because I thought it would be scarier than it was, but it was actually a good amount of disturbing without being too scary to watch. Last week I watched Frailty and liked how that was able to keep two plausible explanations going at the same time. This movie completely overshadows that in that I had really no explanation for what was going on and which "reality" was real. It was bizarre but ultimately satisfying. :spooky::spooky::spooky::spooky::spooky:

What Lies Beneath - This movie was a fun contrast to the last one because this is blunt as hell. There is no real ambiguity here on what is happening. Could have done without the cliched LOUD MUSIC STING! when something scary happens, but overall a good and clear movie. Everything that happened had a setup and all of the setups paid off, even if it was a little obvious. :spooky::spooky::spooky::spooky:

Invasion of the Body Snatchers - This was really good. Most movies I tend to pause part way through or get distracted, but I was all about this the whole time. Jeff Goldbloom and Leonard Nimoy's characters were both obnoxious as gently caress, but that seemed to be intentional. This is one of the movies on my list I wasn't really going into blind. It's all really in the title and I'd seen the last shot of the movie because I'm pretty sure everyone has. It didn't really affect my enjoyment of it. I liked the progression of the story. Nobody accepted the threat too quickly or dismissed it after it was obvious, which doesn't feel like it'd need to be a plus, but so many movies seem to not find this moment in their story and stray too far one way or the other. I also really enjoyed the music. It amelodic and loud, and in no way subtle, but it really kept the energy up during the action sequences. Overall pretty excellent. :spooky::spooky::spooky::spooky::spooky:

Thirsty Girl
Dec 5, 2015

Choco1980 posted:

#24 Raw Force

A world-class Martial Arts club decides to take a cruise, including our three main heroes, with one destination being a legendary island where the spirits of fallen warriors live. The cruise seems to be going along wacky and fine, until they cross paths with a group of Jade smugglers (led by an Asian man with a hitler 'stache that has a thick German accent!) How their racket works is they kidnap girls, and trade them with the evil monks on the Warrior Island for the valuable jade. The smugglers attack and sink the ship, leaving only a liferaft's worth of people, who slowly drift their way to Warrior Island. There it's discovered that what these monks do with the women is barbecue and eat them for black magic power to bring the dead warriors on the island to life! Now our survivors must battle it out with a horde of fighting zombies and try to make it off the island alive!

Boy is this a weird one. It's incredibly low budget, with laughable acting and atrocious overdubs. It feels like a corny rip off of The Love Boat only with naked ladies and big fight scenes, until suddenly about halfway in the Smugglers start killing people left and right. And THEN, we start getting zombies! One thing I can say for sure is this film is a wild ride, but regardless, only go in if you like the kind of cheese you laugh at.

I give Raw Force :madmax::madmax::madmax: out of Five

The schoolteacher guy is the best part of Raw Force. And the guy who breaks ice with his face.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
:skeltal: The List

The Big Four
16. The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (1974)
17. Halloween (1978)
18. Friday the 13th (1980)
19. Friday the 13th Part 2 (1981)
20. Halloween 2 (1981)
21. Friday the 13th Part 3 (1982)
22. Halloween 3: Season of the Witch (1982)
23. Friday the 13th: The Final Chapter (1984)

Perhaps 'the' poster for this film. Though I'm more partial to this other one myself.

Well, if there's one thing to say about the franchise, it doesn't really disappoint. It stays that same wave of occasionally entertaining, with fairly engaging last 20 minutes. And it's nice that the film added both Corey Feldman and Chrispin Glover to the franchise, with the latter stealing the scene whenever he's around. And it's nice that they added Tommy Jarvis as something to give this film a different feeling to it compared to the first 3. Plus, when you know nobody's safe, it's nice to add a mother and a kid character to make you go, 'Will they really go that far?' Though, if there's anything I do know about the franchise, it's that Tommy Jarvis is one of the few characters that last between films. Not expecting a goony looking pre-teen though. Though considering the way his sister acts in the final chase, she may be the physical representation of Goon's sense of good judgement. And compared to the last few, this is the first one that felt like it was held up to the standard of what a 'Friday the 13th' film is, from the concrete Jason iconography and acting, the amped-up creative kills, and a kinda magical way of thinking that allows Jason to do what he does (though I'm more attributing this to lazy filmmaking). The only other thing of real note is the real presumptive nature of the title, portraying a sense of optimistic pessimism of the franchise's future. Otherwise, it's a Friday the 13th movie, you know what the gently caress you're getting.

Next up: Nightmare on Elm Street

timeandtide
Nov 29, 2007

This space is reserved for future considerations.
All of these are available on Netflix, for those inclined:

3. The Host: What can I say? This is great. Even though the CGI on the monster in the opening daylight scenes is not exactly super detailed, the sheer direction of the chaos unfolding is fascinating to watch: Bong Joon-Ho really has a way of being stylish without making it conscious. It was much more violent than I expected, as well, not to mention what seem to be digs at the typical White Male Action Hero. The film is doing quite a lot, as I didn't even get into what it has to say about mass hysteria or the comedy scenes or the cool action finale, so it's easy to see why it's not just a well-done monster movie but a Great one. I've only seen two of Joon-Ho's films now (this and Memories of Murder) and both have been truly excellent; I think I have to see the rest of what he's done now. :spooky: :spooky: :spooky: :spooky: :spooky: /5

4. Baskin: This one gets by solely on moody atmosphere and one strong performance, a deranged and bizarre nightmare of a film with little logic until the end. For a debut film, it's particularly strong, so I look forward to seeing what this guy does next. There's hints of intentional 80s throwback in the synth score and some imagery, but it's not tongue-in-cheek, but more like Beyond the Black Rainbow (which isn't a bad comparison, really.) I don't want to spoil anything, even though there's little to traditionally spoil, so just see it for yourself. I do agree with others who say once the big ritual scene happens the film slows down too much, but it's still pretty interesting. :spooky: :spooky: :spooky:.5/5

Failed try at #5: Curve. From the director of the Skeleton Key!!! !! The basic setup is every incarnation of The Hitcher ever: someone (this time, a woman uncertain of her upcoming marriage) picks up a mysterious stranger (this time, a blond C level actor who is meant to be Very Hunky but just looks awkward) and they engage in a game of increasingly dangerous encounters. Except this one is across-the-board bland, has the gall to have half the film (but not all of it) be a "trapped in one location" movie (in this case, underneath a vehicle that has pinned the heroine to the desert floor) but not really commit to it. At least, that's what I learned from reading a review of it after tapping out 20 minutes in. Also, I hope you like Let Your Heart Decide because I heard it 3 times in the 20 minutes I watched and reviews say it's used about 5 more times in increasingly ironic situations. N/A, Tapped Out 20 Minutes In

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
:skeltal: The List

The Big Four
16. The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (1974)
17. Halloween (1978)
18. Friday the 13th (1980)
19. Friday the 13th Part 2 (1981)
20. Halloween 2 (1981)
21. Friday the 13th Part 3 (1982)
22. Halloween 3: Season of the Witch (1982)
23. Friday the 13th: The Final Chapter (1984)
24. Nightmare on Elm Street (1984)

A lot of good loving posters pre-1985.

Wow. I was not expecting it to be that good. Well I was expecting it to be good in comparison to Friday the 13th, but I wasn't expecting it to stand up on it's own two legs. It's inventive, it's dire, it's gruesome in a way that's gratuitous and yet not entirely uncalled for, and it's believable. Even the story of authority figures keeping down kids, even when faced with evidence of active danger, to the end result of their kid's deaths is universally relatable. Like a horror tinged Breakfast Club. And it's all imbued with a nihilistic atmosphere, tinged with the inevitability of death. It's so loving good, I can't really think of anything bad to say about it. And it was made for such a low budget and got so much out of it. It still looks good today, especially with all of the practical effects used so elegantly. And the only thing I can think to remark upon is the notable lack of Freddy's presence in the film, especially compared to Jason or Michael Myers in their films. While his existence is all over the film, a lot of the story seems to focus more on Nancy and her issues with her parents and friends in reaction to her crisis. 'Freddy' could as much be a dream bear hunting her, or a dream parasite eating her skin, or even a dream ghost who just says boo a lot as she dreams, and the film wouldn't even have to change that much. Of course 'the sins of our fathers' is a thematic point in the film, but that's aside the point. Though despite that, Englund does a pretty drat good job selling the menace and glee that comes with Freddy. Though that's probably because, in comparison to pretty much all of the films I've watched, only his character is allowed to emote and speak in response to his victims. The worst I can say is that this film doesn't usurp either of my #1 horror films, but it's certainly up there. And if you haven't seen it, watch it. It's really loving good.

Next up: Friday the 13th Part 5: A New Beginning

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

One thing that's worth noting about NOESM 1 is that, unlike all the sequels, the craziest poo poo doesn't happen in the dream world, with Freddy using complicated magic power kills ironically themed after his victims' character flaws. It's what people see happen in the real world, as a result of an invisible, intangible force that's the visually crazy poo poo. People fly around while getting stabbed, turn into blood volcanoes, have messages appear in their skin. And for most of these scenes, no one has any idea what the hell is going on right in front of their eyes.

I think leaving what's "really" happening in the dream world more vague and showing the crazy results certainly works better in a serious attempt at horror, unlike the camp that the sequels became.

VROOM VROOM
Jun 8, 2005
I mentioned the apparent lack of connection between my two picks yesterday (though in retrospect they're both about the past repeating itself in their own way), so gonna do a quick formatting change and include cute little notes about why I picked each pairing. Actually doing pretty drat well so far in how things match up. Plus things were starting to take up a lot of vertical space.

Day 1, the Cloverfields: Cloverfield: 8.5; 10 Cloverfield Lane: 9.5
Day 2, the Not As They Seem: The Thing: 10; They Live: 8.5
Day 3, the Rest of the Trilogy: Prince of Darkness: 7.5; In the Mouth of Madness: 8
Day 4, the Big Planners: From Beyond: 9; The Lords of Salem: 6
Day 5, the Obvious: Hellraiser: 9; Hellraiser II: Hellbound: 7
Day 6, the Not Quite Human: Beyond the Black Rainbow: 9.5; Under the Skin: 10
Day 7, the Hotels of Horror: The Shining (extended cut): 10; 140:8
Day 8, the Hauntings: Noroi: 8; Housebound: 9.5
Day 9, the Reruns: Triangle: 9; White: 4.5

: Yeah, Alien: "Director's Cut" is still pretty nice. Some of the suspense early on drags a little after seeing the original (of course), but the whole thing is saved by the third act. It's been a while since I've seen the theatrical cut so I can't go through a detailed list of differences, but I know there are plenty of additions that improve things (the shot of the alien hanging from the chains, which was grotesquely beautiful and for me drove home Ash's point about inhuman perfection, and "kill me" making it a horror movie) and some that were probably not the best (namely Lambert slapping Ripley for not letting them in, which was quite a surprise but has the effect of making her seem more like a heavy-handed foil to Ripley's pragmatism than a pitiful character to contrast with Ripley's bravery who ironically makes it nearly to the end. I also really don't know if they needed the dramatic slap of the cat carrier just to explain why it was on its side, kind of was not worth it during such a tense sequence). This gets a 9/10 from me just because I want to leave some space above that for whenever I go back to the theatrical cut.

10.2: I followed up with Pandorum just because it also featured vaguely humanoid monsters in space, without remembering that both have a character monologue about the limitations of human morality. For depending so much on its characters having limited information and memory, this could have been really incredible if it started just a little bit slower instead of making it clear from the moment the lead wakes up that things are going to be really chaotic and uncomfortable, and if it didn't have a Dark City-style opener that gives away the whole premise and then makes the characters figure out the premise. But I get what it's going for as a nonstop thrill ride, and the poor guy who wakes up and is immediately torn apart by monsters is what made me unable to forget this the first time I saw it. This was my guilty pleasure this month, but I'm not that guilty. 7.5/10

timeandtide
Nov 29, 2007

5. Big Sky: This one turned out to not be horror and not even quite a thriller, but I'm counting it since I watched it. As stated, don't go into this for suspense, though it has several moments of that; this is much more of a quiet character study of a young girl facing fear of open spaces. When some violent men attempt to kidnap someone from her trip to a clinic while passing through the desert, she's left to fend for herself and confront her fears, etc. There's some sense of style and the acting is decent, so this makes a solid Netflix watch, but don't go into it for tension, though the few violent confrontations that happen are well-done, they're over quick (one in particular reminded me of a Fargo/Justified setup, with a Mexican standoff between men with guns going awry.)
:spooky: :spooky: :spooky: /5

First try at 6: Harbinger Down: gently caress. So bad I tapped out a literal 5 minutes into the movie. I knew I was in trouble when a film that trumpets how it uses practical effects started with a shot of space in 1982 with a CGI pod flying by filmed like it was in a JJ Abrams movie or Battlestar Galactica 2004, whip pan then a digital zoom with some bonus lights, but shot with all the CGI a million or two can afford. But what really tipped me off I'd be in for a bad time if I stuck around was a scene set in a car.

There's no way I can describe this and give it justice, but just imagine an intro scene that's meant to show and explain a few main characters to us right at the start of the movie that's shot with low angle handheld, angles changing every two-to-five seconds, the color grading tinted BLUE and WHITE (maxmaxmax) to show how COLD it is outside, and for some reason there's a huge amount of grain over these shots and the saturation is down so low I checked my TV brightness. The craziest thing? Only that scene is shot with the grain and saturation, though the next scene gave me a subdued Lance Henriksen and some handheld camera work so bad it looked like parody of that sort of filmmaking, so I checked out. I know this was made by practical effects guys, but so was Pumpkinhead. Harbinger comes off like a loving student film that got a few million. Tapped Out 5 Minutes In

For real, 6: Monsters: Maybe it's me, maybe it's the mood I was in, but this is flat-out boring. I watched the entire thing, but it never seemed to really "get going." About 40 minutes in, when they finally leave and stop talking about logistics, it caught my interest for about 10 minutes, then settled into some mind-numbing travel scenes. After that, it caught my interest again for 5-10 minutes, and at the very end I did enjoy the poetry of the two monsters communicating (used far more interestingly in the same director's Godzilla 2014), the military showing up like a wrap to the start, etc., but it all seemed like it would've worked better as a short film--or even with 15-20 minutes cut. Some of the commentary definitely came off as dated or too obvious, too. Not necessarily a bad movie, but dull. It even lacked Garreth Edwards' usual mastery of shots outside of a few minutes worth of footage. :spooky: :spooky:.5/5

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

16. The Thing 2011: Sucks. Muddled tone, Americans as the drivng characters because we're #1, CGI was not great for the most part, flatter characters than the original, setups for the original seemed halfassed and grudging, end credits scene was annoying as hell with the credits brealing it up into flashes and a stupid set for the beginning of the original, and just gently caress this mess. If they wanted to run as a monster movie and show the titular Thing with CGI and subtitles because it was a goddamned Norwegian camp, I'd have had fun. It failed whenever it tried for suspense and had too many design by committee callouts to the original in its storyline. Setting up the devastation and horrific scenes in the camp that were found in the original were enough of a challenge and the more important one which failed miserably. I liked seeing snowcats a bunch but that and one line *serious paleontologist's speech has barely finished* Drunken Norseman - "We found a loving alien!" were the only good bits. Also, taking place in the modern day to set up a movie taking place in the '80s was dumb.

My wife accused me of being overly critical with nostalgia goggles for the original. Joke's on her, I've never much cared for The Thing. It's just always been a decent horror to throw in one a year while drinking and the new one can easily be 100% forgotten. I need to re-read the novelization, however. A young me loved it and found it better paced than the movie. Should find out if that's where I left my nostalgia goggles.

17. The Descent: when this released, I liked the trailer and wanted to see it but missed out. I've known nothing about it save the urge to see that cave movie ever since. The scripting felt a little weak at points but I loved this movie. The lighting was probably my favorite point. It also managed to build clausterphobia and increasing anxiety well before things went batshit. I only noticed that the same director made my beloved Dog Soldiers as I was putting the case away. Really want to get this on Blu-ray and see how good it can look. This might be my favorite October viewing, so far. Oh, we watched with the original, full-length ending. The U.S. ending would have been okay but the original better fit the film's tone.

timeandtide posted:

Monsters: Maybe it's me, maybe it's the mood I was in, but this is flat-out boring.

On the whole, I quite like this movie. I think it was a better character study in a world where giant monsters happen to exist and contribute to their trials than Godzilla managed. Where Godzilla was a better movie on the whole, Monsters managed a lot with little time and budget. I've personally been in an honest mood to re-watch it a few times and still enjoy it despite a couple of gaping plot holes.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
21. Frankenstein & Bride of Frankenstein

Well I'm going to have no trouble making 30, so I can count these as one considering I watched them back to back. Frankenstein is great of course, but man Bride just gets better and better every single time I see it. There's so much going on, its a lot more of a kitchen sink movie than the original, but it all works and fits together perfectly. I can't help but wonder if the Dr. Pretorious character was more of a model for Peter Cushing's Frankenstein than Clive was, although that may have something to do with the actor's physical resemblance to Cushing. The makeup effects on Karloff are amazing, for me that's one of the biggest leaps from the original. Its a lot more detailed, and it changes several times over the course of the movie as the Monster recovers from the burns he suffered at the end of the first film. It feels like a more cohesive makeup and less like a fake forehead attached to the top of a normal dude's head.

Every time I watch it though, I wish that Lancaster's Bride could have been in it for longer than ten minutes. She's such a huge presence, it always seemed like such a shame that we don't get more of her, but maybe if we did it would feel diluted. Amazingly, there's some real pathos going on at the end, and that's a tribute to acting abilities of Karloff and the script, which fully humanizes him using only a bare minimum of dialogue. There's a lot in this movie that should obviously be studied by anyone interested in filmmaking, there isn't a single aspect of it that isn't extremely well done.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Basebf555 posted:

21. Frankenstein & Bride of Frankenstein

Every time I watch it though, I wish that Lancaster's Bride could have been in it for longer than ten minutes. She's such a huge presence, it always seemed like such a shame that we don't get more of her, but maybe if we did it would feel diluted. Amazingly, there's some real pathos going on at the end, and that's a tribute to acting abilities of Karloff and the script, which fully humanizes him using only a bare minimum of dialogue. There's a lot in this movie that should obviously be studied by anyone interested in filmmaking, there isn't a single aspect of it that isn't extremely well done.

The moment she becomes aware of her surroundings, whipping her head from side to side, in shock/awe/fear is amazing, and it's the moment I think about when Bride comes up. Weird subtle movements, but I love it.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Franchescanado posted:

The moment she becomes aware of her surroundings, whipping her head from side to side, in shock/awe/fear is amazing, and it's the moment I think about when Bride comes up. Weird subtle movements, but I love it.

Karloff is equally amazing in that scene too. It hit me when I watched it this time that the Monster is now experienced enough with the outside world that he wants to help usher the Bride into it and act as her mentor/teacher. His kindness makes his final decision all the more heartbreaking. "We belong dead" is a great line, but its even better with the full context.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

#25 Mutant Hunt (1987)

In the far off future of 2019, cybernetic organic androids are used for all sorts of everyday purposes, from heavy labor to pleasure. Intertrak is one of the biggest producers of these robots. The newest, strongest prototype is the Delta Sevens. The mad head of the company, Z, corrupts these robots by injecting them with a sexual drug known as Euphoron. This wreaks havoc on their programming, making them seek to kill for pleasure. In the orgy of destruction that ensues, only 2 sevens survive to escape into the city. Z captures the creator of the Sevens, but his sister escapes to find a ragtag group of bounty hunters to help her stop the Sevens, rescue her brother, and destroy the company's production of Euphoron. Meanwhile, Z's own sister, Domina, is attempting to usurp control over the company with her own line of androids...

Wow, despite a lot of summary, this isn't a lot of movie. It's mostly scenes of people fighting the androids, dressed in jumpsuits and sunglasses. Over time, the robots slowly melt as a side effect of the drug, leading to one being a full on puppet by the end of the film. There's a lot of dystopic sci-fi/horror films made in the low budget 80s, and I always have a place for them in my library. This one is interesting in that they didn't try to really change the scenery or setting, it's just same old dirty New York or Chicago. The only real change is the technology--androids, wrist computers, earpiece mobile phones, etc. It's pretty prophetic that they didn't see major changes in 30 years time for them, it makes it feel like a much more realistic cyberpunk vision. That said, the film is still pretty horribly written, directed, and acted.

I give Mutant Hunt :psylon::psylon: out of Five

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
#10.) Indestructible Man (1956)

Sci-fi/crime/horror/revenge blend last night, with Lon Chaney Jr. looking incredibly run-down in his role as an executed criminal reanimated by science (in the form of lots of electricity). Basic 'where's the stolen money?' plot, but with a super-strong, bullet-proof, and mute monster hunting down those who did him wrong. Some slightly awkward narration was worked in throughout the movie, and protagonist Lt. Richard 'Dick' Chasen (yes, really; I wonder if this is where David DeCoteau picked up that alias) figures out what's going on without too much trouble or deductive work. A finale with flamethrowers in the sewers had me thinking of C.H.U.D., but aside from lifting a car for a tire swap at one point, and taking some bullets, the monster ('Butcher' Benton) doesn't get to do much beyond the abilities of a stronger-than-average person. Most of the entertainment came from the hard-boiled dialogue, which played almost like a pulp parody (helped along by some back-stage-only burlesque club scenes). Not offensively bad, just mostly unremarkable.

:spooky: :spooky: / 5

Bonus: the poster for Mutant Hunt, which is way better than the actual movie.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
17juon:the curse

I've never seen juon, or the grudge. I always got the impression they were too slick. I don't know if they are or not but the curse sure isn't. It has a super low budget 80s shot on shitteo vibe, and I love that and it.

:ghost::ghost::ghost::ghost::ghost:/5

Several Goblins
Jul 30, 2006

"What the hell do they mean? Beefcake?"

15. He Never Died (2015)
This movie was a real treat. A horror/comedy with a lean towards the comedy side. Henry Rollins plays Jack, a hermit, who spends his days at home, in a local diner or bingo night. When the daughter he didn't know he has shows up, it brings a more violent side of his life to light. Henry Rollins is hilarious in this - his mannerisms and line delivery cracked me up consistently from beginning to end. I'd highly recommend this one. The story itself also takes some interesting turns that would make me really enjoy seeing a sequel or miniseries based on the Jack character, both of which have been rumored to be in the works off and on.

I want eggplant parmesan!
:spooky::spooky::spooky::spooky::spooky:/5

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe
An American Werewolf in London - Good, simple werewolf movie. Transformation scenes are overwrought, but with good effects. Overall, interesting take on the "curse".
4/5

#Horror - This movie tries so hard to be relevant and deliver a message but it is just so awful at it. A group of 12-year-old girls bully each other, and then get killed. There are no lessons to be learned here. The credits and 'social app' animations are the movie's scariest parts, because they are so garish and ill-considered.
0/5

Excision - Very gory, but mostly just a weird, off-kilter horror comedy. Pauline is weird, wants to be a surgeon after high school and fantasizes about bloody scenes of sexy surgery. I didn't find it too scary but I thought it was entertaining.
3/5

JeruZalem - The three questions of a found footage movie:
1. How? The main girl has Google Glass, which is hilariously outdated already.
2. What? A portal to hell
3. Where? Jerusalem, Israel

This wasn't great, but it was more novel than I expected going in to it. Way way waaaay too many "let's run this way, now let's run over here" scenes.
1.5/5

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

K. Waste posted:

Day 10

Caught a gander at The Face of Fu Manchu from '65. Was even more racist than I was expecting it to be, but still kind of works as a hyperbolic time capsule of the fragility of white, post-colonial consciousness.

Will be getting up early tomorrow to catch some more Christopher Lee goodies.

Day 11

Banked on an early morning double feature of Nothing But the Night (1973) and Scream and Scream Again (1970). I think I was more engaged with the novelty of the first feature than I was its substance, but it had a decent enough pay-off. Scream and Scream Again doesn't really have that. Very by the numbers stuff, and even manages to get a bad performance out of Vincent Price, which should be all but impossible.

timeandtide
Nov 29, 2007

7. Haunter: After some letdowns, this was a breath of fresh air. From the director of Cube and Spliced, I had somehow never heard of this one, and if you're thinking of the director's other work it has the same stylish visuals and twisting narrative; Cube is actually a very good comparison, for a reason I'll put in black bars. It has a major twist on the typical haunted house story, but that comes early in the film so it can actually tell a story with it instead of saving up a big shock for the audience (see: The Diabolical). Spoilers for 20 minutes in: the protagonist and family we see experiencing spooky things are dead and are the ghosts. It goes from there with them trying to break out of the house/move on to the other side, so it becomes sort of a Cube-type story.. The actor they got to play the villain is nice and menacing and it all unfolds almost like a mystery potboiler. Definitely at least give Haunter a 30 minute try if you're on the fence due to all the low ratings on Netflix, I found it well worth it. Also one of the few places where obvious CGI just worked with the setting. :spooky: :spooky: :spooky: :spooky:/5

8. Bloody Muscle Builder to Hell or Jigoku No Chimidoro Muscle Builder: I can't find any existence of this on IMDB. The director's name gives me no relevant hits. Yet, it exists. This is a 63 minute movie with a 2009 release date that appears to have been shot in the early 1990s. It's a Japanese remake of Evil Dead 1+2, but Ash is a bodybuilder. That means that it ends with him not strapping on a chainsaw and shotgun, but montage building a weight set and using a barbell+plates as a weapon. Shockingly, the film actually goes great lengths to mimic Raimi's style while inventing its own gags. What I'm saying is if you can track this down, it's well worth watching for cheese value even if it doesn't have subtitles. :spooky: :spooky: :spooky: :spooky:/5

9. Phantasm Remastered: I loved Phantasm 1, 2, and 4 as an early horror fan, but going back into this incredible new edition really made the artistry put into the first one standout. The new sound in particular adds something: the old VHS and DVD releases I saw had a very quiet feel to the sound, and while the film does use vast stretches of silence to create a moody atmosphere, what was lost in the old prints was how loud, say, footsteps or opening a door would be. The ominous humming that overwhelms many scenes, as if the gates to the red planet are leaking everywhere, also didn't have the impact they do now. Someone mentioned how the interior set of the funeral home really pops, and they're right: I never noticed how Kubrickian it was, and while some said The Shining, it actually brought to mind the colder locations of 2001, which is pretty fitting.

I also never realized how weird some things are: the franchise's silver spheres, probably the most iconic image beyond Scrimm as the Tall Man, aren't exactly given special intros, one just comes whizzing around a corner and it makes all the more impact for that. I couldn't imagine being in the audience for that in 1979, without any knowledge that we have today. I also never noticed the strange mannerism Scrimm gave to the Tall Man, where each time he needs to use his hands he needs to "ready" them like a robot - or someone uncomfortable in a human body.

The bug still looks fake, but they've cleaned up a lot of effects across the board, covering up strings etc., without being intrusive. :spooky: :spooky: :spooky: :spooky: :spooky:/5

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe

timeandtide posted:

7. Haunter:
Netflix spoils that twist in the description, actually. Just a heads up.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

drrockso20 posted:

2. Cybernetics Guardian: not quite a pure horror movie, this obscure 80's Anime OVA is a favorite of mine for looking good, having pretty decent animation, and having a really kickass soundtrack, sister thought it was okay, but complained about how it barely had anything truly horrifying about it beyond the violence

sis: 2/5

Ever seen Genocyber? Same director and almost certainly more fitting for the challenge, your sister'll get a kick out of it if that was her complaint about Cybernetics Guardian. It's also on Youtube for free.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
Today had an accidental theme. That theme is called "Wait, didn't I already watch this movie?"

The Orphanage - Didn't know a thing about this movie so I was surprised when it was in Spanish and even more surprised (although really I shouldn't have been considering it was a Spanish horror movie) that it was made by del Toro. This was an excellent movie. I don't really like to pick favourites and all the movies I've been watching have been pretty different, but this was really very up there. I had watched The Devil's Backbone a few days ago, which I knew was a companion movie to Pan's Labyrinth, and I get why it was because of the time period and setting, but this movie felt much more similar to Pan's Labyrinth. It had some extremely violent and disturbing imagery, but it was used sparingly and to good effect. It played on the ambiguity between fantasy and reality and the ending was uplifting while still being very sad. Since it was essentially the same ending. If I had one very minor nitpick that still brought me out of it just a little it was they should have had a different or better reason for the husband to be called away for the climax. He's a doctor and he knows his wife is extremely mentally fragile and still when she's like "just give me 2 days alone" he goes without any argument or hesitation. They had spent time establishing that he wanted to get away from the house, they could have spent that time instead showing him have to travel for work or preparing to have to leave. It was a very small thing in an otherwise great movie but it just made me go "uhhh, so you're just going to leave her when she's on the brink of sanity? Okay dude." It bothered me a little but definitely not enough to reduce my score. An extremely solid :spooky::spooky::spooky::spooky::spooky: out of five.

Don't Look Now - I had just watched Invasion of the Body Snatchers not 24 hours earlier so when I see Donald Sutherland show up looking absolutely identical in this movie, it was very disorienting. Honestly though, I wish I had just watched Invasion of the Body Snatchers a second time. This movie was beyond dull. There is almost nothing to the movie storywise. There are so many scenes of just nothing at all happening. The extended sex scene was even boring. Then the ending comes out of basically nowhere. I watched Funny Games all the way through, and I still considered just giving up on this because nothing was happening and it just kept going. :spooky: out of 5.

The Uninvited - Man this was a dumb movie. Obvious in every way this kind of movie can be obvious. It's a remake of the incredible movie A Tale of Two Sisters (which I'm not watching for this October, but have seen before), but while that movie is creepy and subtle and you're not quite sure what's real, this one just beats you over the head with it. The new girlfriend is mustache twirling evil to the point that you can never believe that she actually did anything wrong and are looking for clues. So of course you notice that nobody is really addressing the sister because...SHE'S BEEN DEAD THE WHOLE TIME! :ghost: Combine the dumb as hell plot with terrible dialogue wherein nobody is believable as an actual person, it's just a really, really stupid movie. That said, if you've never seen any other psychological horror movie ever, I'm sure it is fairly entertaining. It's just hard when you know the movies it is partially or entirely ripping off :spooky::spooky: out of 5.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I always think people are talking about Uninvited instead.

That movie has the scariest monster of all:

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Aside from serving as executive producer, del Toro did not make The Orphanage.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Day 11 - I had been looking forward to watching The Witch. An atmospheric horror film with a distinctive setting? Sign me up! I wanted to like it but I felt like the whole thing was less than the sum of its parts.

The story plays like a ghost story that puritans would tell around the fire on those cold, hungry winter nights in Massachusetts. A man with slightly diverging views from the community is outcast to the wilderness where he labors to establish a new farm. Things start going bad, though, as his straining family is pushed to the breaking point by supernatural forces around them. There is a witch in the woods and the devil is at work.

I have the silliest complaint about The VVitch. The homestead is on cleared land. The clean line of the trees tell me that foresters have been through there. Thematically, the movie should be about these people dealing with untamed wilderness in isolation, but in all the wide shots I can see see that they're not. I know that's an absurd complaint regarding things that the filmmakers lacked the ability to control (and may have been a necessity of production). Still, I think it reflects part of my problem with the movie: it just feels too tame. The dialog says they're struggling, something key to the way the story develops, and the film doesn't actually show that.

The film also suffers a bit from it's attempts at accuracy. The story is a puritan's perspective of evil supernatural forces working in the world and these beliefs are entrenched in the story of the film but never actually developed. With some earlier events I was thinking to myself, "Was that supposed to be something evil happening?" only for the characters to not remark on it until much later in the film. I don't need explicit "This is what we believe" exposition, but something to bridge the gaps would have been helpful.

This movie looks so absurdly dreary. You'd think that the New England wilderness was made entirely of grey mud with grey trees.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

Darthemed posted:

Aside from serving as executive producer, del Toro did not make The Orphanage.

Ah, you're right. I was confused because of the way it's presented in the credits, which are in Spanish and open with:

Later it says "una pelicula de J.A. Bayona" but I didn't know that meant that's the director, cause I don't speak Spanish :v:

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

#26. Shin Godzilla (2016)

A giant monster crawls out of the ocean and proves itself very rapidly able to evolve to its surroundings. Meanwhile, the Japanese government argues amongst itself, and stretches the red tape while trying to find the right way to handle this menace.

Yes, that's the whole story, and that's all the story you need. This is a new Godzilla, trimmed down to its most basic elements. No love stories, no sci-fi spaceships, no big monster wrestling matches. Just a monster, and the government trying to figure out how to stop it in today's political sphere. And what a Godzilla we get. This monster is not some cartoon with emotions and reason, it's a Thing, with wild bulging inhuman eyes that moves about in a barely controlled, flailing gait. It's body is misshapen and ugly and unnatural. It leaks deadly radiation at every turn, and when angered vomits napalm and fires white hot plasma from every oozing hole and orifice. This isn't the old Godzilla, sent to save mankind from greater threats. This is Death. Pure and simple. Death.

I give Shin Godzilla :krakken::krakken::krakken::krakken::krakken: out of Five

Class3KillStorm
Feb 17, 2011

1) The Witch
2) Sleepaway Camp II: Unhappy Campers
3) The Return of the Living Dead II
4) We Are Still Here
5) Freddy's Dead: The Final Nightmare
6) The Thing (1982)

Whoops. Forgot about this thread for about a week. In the interest of getting back up to speed, some capsule reviews:

7) Pumpkinhead - An underrated gem from the late 80s, with an incredible monster design and sensibility courtesy of Stan Winston. (Who better than a special effects guy to direct such an effect-heavy creature feature?) A simple story, but one well executed. Possibly Lance Henriksen's best performance, which is saying something. Awesome movie. 4 out of 5.

8) Candyman 3: Day of the Dead - Dull and plodding for the most part. I wish the film had built off of the first one's ideas of immortality through story and the power of shared histories. It seems like it wants to, but never has a true idea on how to do so: the "cult of Candyman" is established way too late to be a credible threat or interesting idea; the whole "kill his power" angle is dropped with like three lines of expository dialogue. A great Candyman sequel could have used either of those ideas to great effect; this is not a great Candyman sequel. 2 out of 5.

9) Critters 2: The Main Course - Not a great film, but a fun diversion. I wish the film had more idea of what to do with the titular beasties; they're mainly treated as disposable, interchangeable cannon fodder. At least all of the various Gremlins had personality; the closest we see to that is one Crite who digs his new hairdo when the top of his scalp gets blown off by a shotgun. (He pretty much immediately gets dunked in a hot oil fryer, though, so the film can't even keep him around for one extra scene of being "bald Critter.") Heck, even the shapeshifting alien that turns into a Playboy Bunny doesn't really do anything. The human story is bland and the acting is pretty uniformly terrible, but it still all kind of gels anyway, you know? 2.5 out of 5.

10) Goodnight Mommy - I ended up calling the twist about 10 minutes in, and I still don't think it played fairly within the confines of that twist. I also think it took a long-rear end time to get going, since there's only so much children wandering around their idyllic house nonsense that I can take. The last half hour or so is pretty great, tense stuff, though, with a dynamite ending. Would that that first hour didn't bore me as much as the last 10 minutes thrilled me. 2 out of 5.

11) Dr. Giggles - It has moments of fun dynamism, which makes all of the more cookie-cutter elements stick out a little more. Still, an enjoyable, low-stakes slasher movie, with at least one really disturbing scene of Oedipal horror, and a great performance by the late Larry Drake as Dr. Giggles. He's probably the best of all of the knock-off, late 80s Freddy Krueger wannabes, but there's still a limit on all the doctor puns that I can stand. 3 out of 5.

12) Maniac Cop 2 - You know, for a while there I kept getting Larry Cohen and William Lustig conflated in my head. I think they share a similar set of traits as directors and storytellers - good setups, mediocre executions, no great shakes with directing actors. Of the two though, I'd take Cohen any day. This film has a decent enough setup, with the titular undead cop teaming up with a serial killer, but most of the film is bland and dull. I know the idea of "killer policeman" has more resonance today than it's had since the film's initial release in 1990, but I wish the film had an idea of what it wanted to do with that image. It has a couple of fantastic vehicular action scenes, though, and Robert Davi is always great to see in any movie (even if he's pretty sleepy here). 2 out of 5.

13) Prince of Darkness - My bronze medal John Carpenter film, behind the flat-out amazing The Thing and Halloween (1978). This one has an incredible atmosphere, and it really wants to go in bizarre directions with its love of theoretical quantum physics and distrust of organized religion. The plot seems like it would be a mish-mash of conflicting ideas, but it all hangs together really well. It also has one of the top 3 jump scares almost right at the end, and I love that creepy videotape dream everyone keeps sharing. I just can't hate a movie where Alice Cooper kills a man with a bicycle. 4 out of 5.

Class3KillStorm fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Oct 12, 2016

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Ever seen Genocyber? Same director and almost certainly more fitting for the challenge, your sister'll get a kick out of it if that was her complaint about Cybernetics Guardian. It's also on Youtube for free.

I'm aware of Genocyber, not sure if I'd go for that one, I actually have a low tolerance for gore in animation(something about it I find more disturbing than I do in Live Action stuff most of the time), Cybernetics Guardian is somewhat of an exception, also part of why I picked it for the challenge was cause it was both short, and I already had it on hand

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Fell a movie behind, gonna try to catch up this weekend.

October 10th - Beyond the Black Rainbow (2010)
Watched on Shudder

What a bizarre movie, in the best way. A very interesting, hyper-sensory film (the sound design is wonderful, and I wish I could have experienced it in a theater) with an extremely bare-bones plot. I've heard a lot of people compare it to a Kubrick film, which I can see a little bit of. Honestly there are little bits and pieces from all sorts of directors, and I love it, because it will go from one scene that feels like a giallo movie directed by Tarkovsky to some weird Carpenter-esque psuedo-slasher. I think my favorite thing is how fully immersed you get in the weirdness, to the point that the very brief moments where the real world intersects with it, it honestly feels jarring and even a bit intrusive. It's a neat effect. The cinematography is excellent, and a few of the more surreal scenes are just incredibly effective and well-composed. It's not a "scary" movie so much as an unsettling one, but I'm very glad I watched it. I'm also surprised I've never seen the male lead in anything else, because he's very good at the micro-expression thing and particularly great at that sort of dripping contempt for the people around him. It seems this director hasn't done anything else, so I hope he didn't stop making films, because I'd definitely check out anything else he put out.

I give it :spooky::spooky::spooky::spooky:.5 / 5

Watched So Far:

Dark Star (1974), The Strange Color of Your Body's Tears (2013), Tetsuo: The Iron Man (1989), Faces of Death (1978), Ravenous (1999), The Neon Demon (2016), Jacob's Ladder (1990), Shivers (1975), The Brood (1979), Beyond the Black Rainbow (2010)

VROOM VROOM
Jun 8, 2005
Day 1, the Cloverfields: Cloverfield: 8.5; 10 Cloverfield Lane: 9.5
Day 2, the Not As They Seem: The Thing: 10; They Live: 8.5
Day 3, the Rest of the Trilogy: Prince of Darkness: 7.5; In the Mouth of Madness: 8
Day 4, the Big Planners: From Beyond: 9; The Lords of Salem: 6
Day 5, the Obvious: Hellraiser: 9; Hellraiser II: Hellbound: 7
Day 6, the Not Quite Human: Beyond the Black Rainbow: 9.5; Under the Skin: 10
Day 7, the Hotels of Horror: The Shining (extended cut): 10; 140:8
Day 8, the Hauntings: Noroi: 8; Housebound: 9.5
Day 9, the Reruns: Triangle: 9; White: 4.5
Day 10, Humanoids in Space: Alien (Director's Cut): 9; Pandorum: 7.5

: If you ever need to find out what you're scared of, go watch The Descent, because it checks off so many boxes so well (to mind, tight spaces, the dark, heights, water, monsters, injury, helplessness, insanity/false perception, overconfidence, deception, betrayal, dying alone, loss of loved ones...). I watched the unrated version with the extended ending, which seems sadder on the face of it, but is at least not as muddy and ambiguous as the R-rated ending, and in some ways it can be considered happier in a reeeeaaaalllly bittersweet kind of way. It gives a real payoff to the psychological aspect, which could almost be considered superfluous otherwise; I'm a fan of films where the protagonist earns something over the course of them, and rather than earning at best a meaningless survival filled with grief, Sarah receives a sort of peace at last. For, among everything else, making me grudgingly admit that that was how it had to end (counting the sequel as non-canon), this gets a 9/10.

11.2: I got sucked in by a glimpse of a screen shot from towards the end of the film I saw a while ago, but almost turned off Splice halfway through when I realized it was not a horror but just a straight-up farce that plays the "scientist with impaired judgment" card over and over to the point of absurdity, with themes of parenting thrown in. But then. I was almost completely hooked in a way that almost retroactively justified the whole thing, but now that I've finished it, I have to ask: what the hell did I just watch? It looked like with its dying breath it was making a brilliant turn towards revealing that it was at heart entirely a psychological horror, turning the whole setup up to that point on its head, with Clive becoming emotionally compromised after being the noble pushover all movie, and Elsa becoming the brutally straightforward scientist, while Dren would be uncontrollable and violent not because she was a hybrid monster thing but because she inherited her mental instability from her mother, who herself was proving to be retracing her mother's footsteps...but then it turned right back around and tried to go the standard monster-movie route with doses of death and body horror. It was doing fine with the whole parenting theme, it didn't have to take it that literally. The whole thing felt icky and mean-spirited, but not really in a good way. This needed to either stick to being the comedy it was for the first two acts, or commit to the incredible shift it almost made. Some of the sheer idiocy that would make sense if the whole thing was played as a comedy, or that would have needed to go away in the last act, persisted through the end as well (stop assuming s/he's dead!). I'm glad I didn't turn it off halfway, but I wish I magically knew the exact point I should have turned it off. 5.5/10

timeandtide
Nov 29, 2007

All Netflix films, for those curious:

10. The Stranger: Produced by Eli Roth, this is the sort of film where you're not even quite sure what the basic premise is for about 30 minutes, but all of the unexplained flashbacks and cryptic scenes do add up to something. Wisely, the film doesn't hold all of its cards to its chest until the end, but makes a major reveal about 30-40 minutes that gives you something to go on and then adds to that, leaving the climax free to be ramping action. If you want a hint, it's Secretly A Vampire Film and the titular stranger is one of the last remaining vampires, but not the bad guy. It's pretty solid, so bear with it until things start to click - I'll admit I considered switching it off 20 minutes in, though it hadn't done anything necessarily bad, but I was wondering if it actually would lead anywhere - and it's worth it. I'm just not sure if it was truly needed to be so cryptic to the degree it is. :spooky: :spooky: :spooky:/5

11. The Silenced: A bit of a mystery going on in this one as well, this is a beautifully shot Korean film (imagine that!) set a private girls school in the woods. A mysterious new student shows up, strikes up a friendship with another girl, and some Carrie-esque shenanigans happen around her. The cinematography features brilliant colors and some surreal dream shots; the story focuses mostly (to its benefit) on school life, friendship, peer pressure, and all that sort of growing up angst; and when it hits, the action at the end is hard-hitting and well-directed. It's questionably horror, as while there are a few creepy scenes, it's more "supernatural" and science-based powers. :spooky: :spooky: :spooky: :spooky:

12. A Lonely Place to Die: Very good, very interesting film - for the first hour, I'd say this is definitely horror as we see a group of climbers stalked and picked off one-by-one after they find a small girl buried in a box in the woods, only a single pipe for air. At the hour mark, it makes a sudden, fun (to me) shift to being a crime/thriller movie with some stalking scenes as we find out the girl was a kidnapping ransom and a pair of efficient hitmen, one played by the villain from Rogue Nation, are stalking the hikers instead of the usual Crazed Rednecks. In other words, the villains have a specific goal and are only stalking/killing due to the climbers being in their way. I can't stress how good the cinematography is: the Scottish Highlands are used to maxim effect, emphasizing both the beauty of all the rocky crags and green hills and the extreme isolation the climbing group is in. The cast themselves are fairly stock characters, but well-acted, and the focus is on the tension and chase, which once it starts never really stops. :spooky: :spooky: :spooky: :spooky:/5

BioTech
Feb 5, 2007
...drinking myself to sleep again...

10. ABCs of Death
This was absolutely terrible. One great short, a handful that were okay or at least had some decent ideas and the rest was just uninspired crap. Low point was when two guys were forced to jack off to a child being raped, something a 13-year old would think is edgy. Don't waste your time on this, just watch the awesome Dogfight short and skip the rest.

11. Black Sabbath
Dug the vibe, third story was not as strong as the other two. All in all pretty solid.

12. Clown
It could have been a bit tighter, but I enjoyed this a lot. Scene with the clown chasing kids in the big ball pit playground was cool.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Random Stranger posted:

Day 11 - I had been looking forward to watching The Witch. An atmospheric horror film with a distinctive setting? Sign me up! I wanted to like it but I felt like the whole thing was less than the sum of its parts.

Another person that doesn't love the witch!

That said I like the witch and love how atmospheric it is, and I get it's supposed to be historically accurAte, I just find the characters' behavior more frustrating than anything.

It's sort of like the opposite of a horror movie where people don't believe anything until it's too late. They believe everything way too quickly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Ambitious Spider posted:

Another person that doesn't love the witch!

That said I like the witch and love how atmospheric it is, and I get it's supposed to be historically accurAte, I just find the characters' behavior more frustrating than anything.

It's sort of like the opposite of a horror movie where people don't believe anything until it's too late. They believe everything way too quickly.

I wanted to like it more. The concept is great; playing the whole thing from a solidly puritan perspective was distinctive. The family drama was more interesting than the supernatural elements to me. But things never gelled right. I feel like if the movie was twenty minutes longer so it could build up to events and have room to establish things more firmly, it could have been much better.

• Locked thread