Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
That annual cost seems ragingly optimistic to me if it includes fuel.

Have you gotten insurance quotes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzzie Dunlop
Apr 14, 2013

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

That annual cost seems ragingly optimistic to me if it includes fuel.

Have you gotten insurance quotes?

Yeah insurance quoted me at $520 per year paired with my renters. I actually fudged up the depreciation calc on the last one and accidentally assumed the car was new. Here's my annual #s:
Gas: $312.50 (5,000 MI, 40 mpg, $2.50/gal)
Insurance: $520
Maintenance: $240 (not sure on this # but having a hard time finding anything else)
Tax and registration: $80
Total: $1,152 per year not counting depreciation. Even if the $6000 car depreciates to $0 it's $1,900 per year over 8 years. Which including fuel and added convenience is worth it over the $1,400 I'm spending.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

What's your parking situation like? Do you owe excise taxes in your state?

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

Not to hose the discussion but if you have money to swing around then a decision which is balancing on a +/- $2000 net TCO over 8 years is pretty inane. Just do it.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

I think he mentioned financing the car though.

e: vvvvv oh I parsed that wrong then, oops. Yeah if he can afford the car outright and wants the convenience then just go for it.

IRQ fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Oct 5, 2016

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

DNK posted:

Not to hose the discussion but if you have money to swing around then a decision which is balancing on a +/- $2000 net TCO over 8 years is pretty inane. Just do it.

Yeah this is a good point, just do it if you want to do it, but know that it's entirely for convenience reasons rather than financial reasons.

IRQ posted:

I think he mentioned financing the car though.

Nah he mentioned up to $7k cash plus financing.

Fuzzie Dunlop
Apr 14, 2013

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Yeah this is a good point, just do it if you want to do it, but know that it's entirely for convenience reasons rather than financial reasons.

Yeah I never said it was for financial reasons, I've been clear that we expect to pay more owning a car. It's just reached the point where the added convenience is worth spending the additional money.

Edit: And I mean are my numbers off or something? I'm looking at $1,400/year including fuel and depreciation. That's like dollar for dollar actually better financially than what we've been spending getting around.

Regarding your above post, I rolled parking and excise tax into my $80 registration and tax figure.

And, DNK, good point about just pulling the trigger. I'll look over the next few weeks and find something.

Fuzzie Dunlop fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Oct 5, 2016

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
On the topic of cheap Priuses, my sister's trying to find a sub $5k Prius and she found a 2007 with 119k miles that seems in great shape, but turns out the guy selling it bought it at auction and swapped in a Scion xA engine to replace the dead original one. Anybody have any insight into what the long-term ownership prospects are of an Otto-cycle Prius?

I initially told her to bail the gently caress out, but now I've got this perverse curiosity about such a thing.

How cheap until this thing could actually be an OK buy? He was initially asking $4k but apparently isn't getting a ton of interest in it.

Twerk from Home fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Oct 5, 2016

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Bail. The. gently caress. Out.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
Hahaha, run the gently caress away.

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

I wouldn't take that thing for free.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

I'd take it for free... you could sell it to somebody real dumb.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

IRQ posted:

I'd take it for free... you could sell it to somebody real dumb.

it's a motor swap like in forza!

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

I've seen an engine swapped Prius before, and it was a decently quick car!

Anyway, thanks for the input. I've told her never in a million years to buy a prius with a non-prius engine in it. Apparently the thing test drove well, I wonder what the guy did.

Twerk from Home fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Oct 6, 2016

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

makes me wanna drop a rotary in a prius for maximum point missing

Sits on Pilster
Oct 12, 2004
I like to wear bras on my ass while I masturbate?
Yesterday I bought my first Prius - thanks thread for inducing my middle age. 2010 Prius 2 with 110k miles but a clean Carfax including regular oil changes.

Tenacious J
Nov 20, 2002

Proposed Budget: $30,000 or less (I think, see below)
New or Used: New
Body Style: Compact/Mid-size. 4/5-door.
How will you be using the car?: Daily driver, 100km commute everyday, very snowy winters living in Edmonton, Canada.
What aspects are most important to you?: Comfort, reliability, safety (especially for ice and snow), longevity, mileage, and tech features.
Things I don't care about : Looks and fun (but it does need to be a bit punchy as some highway merge lanes around me are very short).
Why not a Prius? No issue with that I suppose, but it's about money I think. See below.

Financially I'm not yet in a great place, but I'm about to start a new job that pays very well (90k/yr). Until now I've basically been living on minimum wage and have some significant debts. I drive a 15yo F-150 that destroys gas and is mechanically dangerous as hell. I've managed to survive a couple winters so far but I think I've been lucky. New job requires about 100km of highway driving everyday. I think that with all the extra driving I need something reliable and safe, as well as good on gas. I'm thinking buying new is ok and I like the peace of mind. However, I don't have any room on my LoC or CC, or any savings so I'm hesitating about fully financing anything. Any advice is appreciated, thanks.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Tenacious J posted:

Proposed Budget: $30,000 or less (I think, see below)
New or Used: New
Body Style: Compact/Mid-size. 4/5-door.
How will you be using the car?: Daily driver, 100km commute everyday, very snowy winters living in Edmonton, Canada.
What aspects are most important to you?: Comfort, reliability, safety (especially for ice and snow), longevity, mileage, and tech features.
Things I don't care about : Looks and fun (but it does need to be a bit punchy as some highway merge lanes around me are very short).
Why not a Prius? No issue with that I suppose, but it's about money I think. See below.

Financially I'm not yet in a great place, but I'm about to start a new job that pays very well (90k/yr). Until now I've basically been living on minimum wage and have some significant debts. I drive a 15yo F-150 that destroys gas and is mechanically dangerous as hell. I've managed to survive a couple winters so far but I think I've been lucky. New job requires about 100km of highway driving everyday. I think that with all the extra driving I need something reliable and safe, as well as good on gas. I'm thinking buying new is ok and I like the peace of mind. However, I don't have any room on my LoC or CC, or any savings so I'm hesitating about fully financing anything. Any advice is appreciated, thanks.

Buy a $10,000 Prius.

It'll probably never have any major repairs needed before you're in a better financial position to trade up, and if it does, you have a good income to cover whatever it is.

Tenacious J
Nov 20, 2002

Are Prius's so highly recommended because they have the lowest cost of ownership or something?

What about a Prius C? I'm still hanging on to the idea of buying new because I think I'll have an easier time financing through a dealership than a bank right now. And I don't mind paying a bit more for the enjoyment of a new car. But also maybe I'm just dumb with money.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Buy a 10k prius and if you still have the job in a year buy a [lightly used small sports car of choice] or something for fun on the weekends.

And yes, Prius get recommended because they have a really low TCO due to being reliable as poo poo, specifically because when Toyota designed the thing they knew they had everything to prove and everything to lose.

The Prius C is not worth it because it's basically a Yaris with a hybrid drivetrain, with poorer mileage, significantly worse interior build quality and an unproven record. Dollar for Dollar you can pretty much always get a nicer actual Prius for whatever you'd pay for the C.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Tenacious J posted:

What about a Prius C?

AI meets BFC: Prius Buying Thread: No Rentals and No Salvage Titles and no PriusC

AriTheDog
Jul 29, 2003
Famously tasty.
Furthermore if you have had credit or maxed out credit cards you are not in position to spend 30k on a car no matter the monthly payment.

Keep your truck and pay off your credit cards with your new job money, or buy something cheap and used and don't lose money too much money on it at what point you want to upgrade. Quit getting hosed by your debts before spending cash on a new car. My household income is significantly higher (though I live in a high cost of living area) and the payment on our roughly 30k car is a significant burden.

A used Mazda3 could be a decent choice if you hate the Prius.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Tenacious J posted:

Are Prius's so highly recommended because they have the lowest cost of ownership or something?

What about a Prius C? I'm still hanging on to the idea of buying new because I think I'll have an easier time financing through a dealership than a bank right now. And I don't mind paying a bit more for the enjoyment of a new car. But also maybe I'm just dumb with money.

You know that dealerships literally just use banks to finance you, with exactly the same credit pulls, right? Unless it's a true buy-here-pay-here and you do not want to even remotely touch that poo poo.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Don't buy a Mazda though, you will have huge rust problems in Edmonton. Cruze, Jetta, (manual trans) Focus or Chrysler 200 would be better choice.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
I would rather drive a mazda3 with fist sized rust holes than a chrysler 200.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

I thought they supposedly fixed the rust issues.

Also the rust issues were only on the japanese models, the mexican ones were fine, which I believe were the hatch models? You can tell by the VIN.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

IRQ posted:

I thought they supposedly fixed the rust issues.

Also the rust issues were only on the japanese models, the mexican ones were fine, which I believe were the hatch models? You can tell by the VIN.

The newest ones maybe, but I'm assuming we all agree that the guy's budget should be more like $6,500, not $30,000.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Just drive the F-150 for another year. You won't die.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

You know that dealerships literally just use banks to finance you, with exactly the same credit pulls, right? Unless it's a true buy-here-pay-here and you do not want to even remotely touch that poo poo.

I bought my 2009 Z4 off a corner lot in Santa Monica with a single-wide trailer as an office. He was super cranky I was having it inspected. PPI's are king for those kind of lots.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Just drive the F-150 for another year. You won't die.

This is the best answer.

If it breaks you've got a 90k income to cover repairs.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

I figured I would drop by and share a little AI meets BFC karma. Back in 2014 this thread (or its predecessor) had a lot of good advice, and when it came down to deciding between a BMW 5 series sedan or GT, I went against the thread and got the sedan. Now two years later BMW is tired of repairing my car and is buying it back.

Unless they toss me a bunch of extra cash to stay with BMW I'm going to buy something different. But this isn't the post for that, this was just the post to say: take the advice of this thread. Whatever car you buy will know if you don't.

I also pity the guy who gets my car at whatever auction the repurchase people take it to unload.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
AI meets BFC: Buy the worst German car you can afford and drive it for free until they buy it back. Walla!

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Is that like the Note 7 of cars, or what?

100% Dundee
Oct 11, 2004

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

A lot of the time won't dealerships use their pull with the banks to get you a deal when you otherwise might not qualify or get you a better rate as well just in order to sell another unit? I guess this applies more to new cars than used but it was the case for me in both situations, my own personal bank and credit union couldn't match the dealer financing rates. Especially with promotions like the 0%/72month that I ended up taking from the Ford Financing. Even with 800+ and outstanding credit history, my credit union told me the lowest possible rate they offer period for a new/lightly used(2015-2016) car would be 1.9%.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

100% Dundee posted:

A lot of the time won't dealerships use their pull with the banks to get you a deal when you otherwise might not qualify or get you a better rate as well just in order to sell another unit? I guess this applies more to new cars than used but it was the case for me in both situations, my own personal bank and credit union couldn't match the dealer financing rates. Especially with promotions like the 0%/72month that I ended up taking from the Ford Financing. Even with 800+ and outstanding credit history, my credit union told me the lowest possible rate they offer period for a new/lightly used(2015-2016) car would be 1.9%.

Promotional financing is the motor company putting incentive money into the equation. They're spending money to get you to buy a car.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Yeah, a bank or credit union isn't going to offer 0% on anything* unless it's one of their products where they will make money in other ways (i.e. a credit card intro rate).

*A bank or CU will gladly offer you 0% on a checking or savings account.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Throatwarbler posted:

AI meets BFC: Buy the worst German car you can afford and drive it for free until they buy it back. Walla!

It's kind of amazing actually, I did have to pay a modest use fee but I'm basically getting a check for what I paid for the car. Two years later. There may be a legit strategy in getting a predictably unreliable car, something you just know will have a ton of problems, and ride the gravy train.

100% Dundee
Oct 11, 2004

Twerk from Home posted:

Promotional financing is the motor company putting incentive money into the equation. They're spending money to get you to buy a car.

I understand this, but what I was getting at was say I had a worse credit score and my CU/bank offered me say 4.9% or something. Isn't it relatively common for the dealership/company financing to try to offer you a lesser rate just to make the sale and earn your 3.9% or 4.5% or whatever interest as well?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Ultimate Mango posted:

It's kind of amazing actually, I did have to pay a modest use fee but I'm basically getting a check for what I paid for the car. Two years later. There may be a legit strategy in getting a predictably unreliable car, something you just know will have a ton of problems, and ride the gravy train.

If you want to do that again, I recommend a range rover.
Otherwise, lexus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

nm posted:

If you want to do that again, I recommend a range rover.
Otherwise, lexus.

There is a Range Rover dealer in my town. I might need to check that out.

I looked at all the Lexus sedans yesterday. In all but the LS my eye level is about mid sun visor height. I simply could not get low enough to drive safely. The LS is nice but new are a bit much for my price range. CPO prices seem to be based on a belief that Lexuses (Lexi?) are exempt from depreciation.

I had to rule out a bunch of stuff because of either headroom/visibility or the seats would not go down far enough. I am the 1%. In height.