Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I showed my sister the SteamVR tutorial and job simulator today. She really wants one now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

NRVNQSR posted:

I wouldn't be so sure; now that they have ASW they've said they're okay with a 45fps game framerate, which means a typical 44-66ms latency from position tracking to swap-away1. Those numbers are starting to get into the range where wireless image transmission is feasible.

1Between 22ms and 44ms of rendering depending on queue-ahead, then 22ms of frames being drawn based on that rendering until it swaps to the next frame.
ASW is something that's done on the PC, not the headset, and it doesn't make the frames come into the headset any faster.

w00tazn
Dec 25, 2004
I don't say w00t in real life

Helter Skelter posted:

ASW is something that's done on the PC, not the headset, and it doesn't make the frames come into the headset any faster.

You could theoretically add a computer to compute and transform the in-between frames so that the PC only has to render and transmit at 45fps locked which gives you a little bit more lee-way on the frame timings.

Anemone
Dec 28, 2008

piak piak
Hey guys,

I'm making VR videos, if you want to see someone make an rear end out of themselves in VR this is a good way to do it.

I suggest this one because it caused me the most pain: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YpsqY2icAS0

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

w00tazn posted:

You could theoretically add a computer to compute and transform the in-between frames so that the PC only has to render and transmit at 45fps locked which gives you a little bit more lee-way on the frame timings.
That doesn't help you when there's a still the delay between rendering the frame on the GPU and the headset receiving it. There is no way you can compensate for a frame arriving 20ms too late for it to be useful in software.

On top of that, ASW needs more than the output video stream to work off of. If it didn't, there would be no need for driver-level support from video card manufacturers. You're not going to get ASW on a wireless headset unless that headset is the thing rendering the scene to begin with (as is the case with the Santa Cruz prototype) or the work is being done on the PC end.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Surprise Giraffe posted:

I still get a touch reservation if I preordered the rift with a guest account right? Hope so
If you click guest account on the login page it'll ask for your old rift order number, then it sends you an email link, you click on that and can go to the upper right cart and order one there. It'll confirm you've got a reserved spot.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Bhodi posted:

If you click guest account on the login page it'll ask for your old rift order number, then it sends you an email link, you click on that and can go to the upper right cart and order one there. It'll confirm you've got a reserved spot.

I just placed an order from the guest login using the same email address as my Rift order and got confirmed placement. I didn't need an email link or anything.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Helter Skelter posted:

Welp, Touch order placed. Estimated shipping cost is showing as zero, interestingly enough.

same, really looking forward to these controllers

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Helter Skelter posted:

On top of that, ASW needs more than the output video stream to work off of. If it didn't, there would be no need for driver-level support from video card manufacturers.

That doesn't necessarily follow; ATW operated solely off the output video streams, but it still required driver-level support for the asynchronicity and late-latching.

I haven't yet had the opportunity to look into exactly how ASW is implemented but even in the unlikely case that it does use additional data not present in the output video and depth streams rendering an ASW frame must both be significantly faster than and use much less data than rendering a frame normally; if either of these weren't true then there'd be no benefit from using it. It's not much of a stretch to imagine a headset that is sent whatever data is required and performs ASW in hardware; the GearVR should already be powerful enough to do that.

NRVNQSR fucked around with this message at 09:42 on Oct 11, 2016

ElZilcho
Apr 4, 2007

DrBox posted:

Fired up the Rift for the first time in a few weeks and the sensor wasn't being recognized on any USB port. I would hear the windows USB install sound but Oculus Home was kept saying it could not find the sensor. In device manager it looked like the drivers weren't being installed right. Had to manually update drivers and point to C:\Program Files\Oculus VR Runtime Drivers\Drivers\Rift Sensor to get it to work. Thought I'd put that here in case anyone else runs into that.

Might have something to do with the Win 10 anniversary update.

Seconding this. Suddenly my USB 3.0 ports that had been working fine for weeks weren't recognised. I haven't fixed it yet, the sensor worked in a USB 2 port.

Got a feeling it was a Windows update too, other driver related things broke as well.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Anemone posted:

Hey guys,

I'm making VR videos, if you want to see someone make an rear end out of themselves in VR this is a good way to do it.

I suggest this one because it caused me the most pain: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YpsqY2icAS0

Hearing the Phantasy Star Online shop music is making me want a VR version of that. You couldn't even move and attack at the same time in that game so it's already a good VR choice.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Just curious for anyone who has used the Touch controllers - does the index-finger trigger have a "click" at the end of the pull, or is it just uniform like, say, a PS4 controller trigger?

e: someone on a reddit thread said they do NOT have a "click" at the end of the pull. that's actually a huge bummer.

AndrewP fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Oct 11, 2016

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
That is kind of lame. I was using the click for a game I was working on. Was planning on getting back into it when I got touch.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Cojawfee posted:

That is kind of lame. I was using the click for a game I was working on. Was planning on getting back into it when I got touch.

The guy in the thread acknowledged he may have been using an older model. It may not end up being a big deal, but I know Vive has it and I'd think adds a lot to the feel of pulling the trigger on a virtual gun.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I guess I'll just have to see how unreal interprets all the touch events. If it just swaps the click at the end of the vive for the capacitive touch on Touch, it won't really be a big deal.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

AndrewP posted:

The guy in the thread acknowledged he may have been using an older model. It may not end up being a big deal, but I know Vive has it and I'd think adds a lot to the feel of pulling the trigger on a virtual gun.

I wonder if the 'click' can be reproduced with the haptic feedback system - if it's convincing, it would be a best-of-both-worlds situation.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
The problem with that is the click on the vive/steam controller is an actual button. You go through the range of the trigger and then there's a physical button at the end. It's a separate input. Doing the same with a touch controller would require you to figure out which percentage of the trigger range you want to use as the button and you'd have to do it yourself.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Delta-Wye posted:

I wonder if the 'click' can be reproduced with the haptic feedback system - if it's convincing, it would be a best-of-both-worlds situation.

It can definitely be reproduced with a good enough haptic system, Apple removed physical travel from their laptop trackpads a generation or two back and has been simulating it ever since.

vvvvvv Pressure sensitivity, with some kind of solid-state load cell it looks like.

haveblue fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Oct 11, 2016

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
How does the trackpad know when you're moving your finger around and when you are pressing down to click?

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
(VR) Witchcraft.

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

I figured it'd be more appropriate to ask here than the War Thunder thread, but is there a way to scale down the UI in VR mode? It's a real pain in the rear end to have to look all the way in the top left to see my airspeed in plane battles, or spin my aim around to the right to see the minimap in tank battles.

Also holy poo poo tank battles in VR are amazing as long as you remember to right-click to get the close in 'on top of the tank' camera angle. I don't know why I didn't try this game earlier.

Anemone
Dec 28, 2008

piak piak

Zero VGS posted:

Hearing the Phantasy Star Online shop music is making me want a VR version of that. You couldn't even move and attack at the same time in that game so it's already a good VR choice.

I would KILL for a real PSO-like game, especially in VR.

But god would my life end if they made Everquest 1 in VR.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Anemone posted:

But god would my life end if they made Everquest 1 in VR.

I don't think anyone has the stamina to sprint 6 miles to the next zone to escape a monster you accidentally pulled every 10 minutes.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I haven't seen it linked here, but John Carmack's closing keynote at the Occulus convention is available now on Twitch TV. I highly recommend it; Carmack is famous for skipping the marketing bullshit and getting in to the gritty detail of technology, it's more of a lecture by one of the world's premier professors in computer science, than a carefully accepted marketing spiel.

fenrif
Jan 12, 2010

Tom Guycot posted:

I don't think anyone has the stamina to sprint 6 miles to the next zone to escape a monster you accidentally pulled every 10 minutes.
When you die in VR, you die in real life (from massive heart failure)

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?

Hadlock posted:

I haven't seen it linked here, but John Carmack's closing keynote at the Occulus convention is available now on Twitch TV. I highly recommend it; Carmack is famous for skipping the marketing bullshit and getting in to the gritty detail of technology, it's more of a lecture by one of the world's premier professors in computer science, than a carefully accepted marketing spiel.

I just caught the last 20 minutes live and that portion seemed exclusively about making content for GearVR. Does he go into details on ASW and Rift things earlier? I'll have to check it out.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I want to get excited about Carmack but all he does is mobile VR and I don't really care about that.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Cojawfee posted:

I want to get excited about Carmack but all he does is mobile VR and I don't really care about that.

Isn't he partly responsible for those inside-out tracking prototypes they were showing on the CV1?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
He's been working on inside out tracking for GearVR which is probably what drives the Santa Cruz prototype.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Cojawfee posted:

He's been working on inside out tracking for GearVR which is probably what drives the Santa Cruz prototype.

Right, so it's not like the stuff he's doing isn't trickling over to the PC headsets.

Are the PC headsets even going to make any sense in a few years? If the Gear VR gets inside-out tracking, and also has a full PC sending a low-latency wireless stream of the video to the phone, that obsoletes the CV1 kind of stuff. The CV1 is $600 and we'll be seeing 4K phones with Gear VR within a few years for the same total price I'm sure.

Ludicrous Gibs!
Jan 21, 2002

I'm not lost, but I don't know where I am.
Ramrod XTreme
Has anything been said about motion controls for mobile VR? Having a physical presence beyond a pair of floating eyes really takes things to the next level.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Ludicrous Gibs! posted:

Has anything been said about motion controls for mobile VR? Having a physical presence beyond a pair of floating eyes really takes things to the next level.

http://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2016/5/18/11704054/daydream-android-vr-motion-controller-pancakes

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Ludicrous Gibs! posted:

Google Daydream will come with a motion controller, although it only seems to sense orientation and not position.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Ludicrous Gibs! posted:

I thought Samsung themselves were screwing with motion controllers for Gear VR a while back...

edit: Rink:
https://techcrunch.com/2016/01/02/samsungs-rink-motion-controllers-for-gear-vr-look-pretty-great/

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Oct 12, 2016

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
New controllers in the works for Vive. Imagine they'll do finger tracking?

https://twitter.com/robmerki/status/786264453700472832/photo/1

Maybe for all ten digits! I'm not entirely sure why touch won't.

If not, at least they'll have a clicky trigger

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
Which PC VR title has been the most vomit comet horrible feat of motion sickness yet? People are throwing in the towel with Drive Club VR, one reviewer threw up twice but managed to write enough to make a review out of it.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
What was his issue with it?

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

It's not official but I've played quake in VR and it made me feel like poo poo afterwards.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

Cojawfee posted:

What was his issue with it?

Seemingly just the ordinary motion sickness from driving kicking in harder than ever before, especially at the sports-car speeds you go. Adjusting IPD helps cut sickness down immensely and IGN says there's no such thing as adjusting PSVR IPD so that might be tech journalists being tech journalists all over again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

SwissCM posted:

It's not official but I've played quake in VR and it made me feel like poo poo afterwards.

I did pretty well with Quake VR. I think the lack of movement acceleration helped.

Subnautica was incredible but made me feel pretty queasy after a bit.

No problems with Elite or any driving games. My stomach is actually a hell of a lot more iron than I expected, considering how easily I get carsick.