Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
D1E
Nov 25, 2001

Charles Get-Out posted:

Is Star Citizen going to have anything to actually do on 99.99999% of the proposed planetary space available?

Yes. Claim a plot of land, build a cabin from scratch with logs, and settle down and raise a family with the woman you kidnapped previously on a raid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Charles Get-Out posted:

Is Star Citizen going to have anything to actually do on 99.99999% of the proposed planetary space available? I don't think you can expect actual gameplay in most of that landmass and that begs the question of why it's even there in the first place imo.

if it gets made, it's going to have mostly the same problems as elite: dangerous and no man's sky and every other open world space sim

in order to remedy this, steps have been taken so that the game is never made

Propagandist
Oct 23, 2007

D1E posted:

Yes. Claim a plot of land, build a cabin from scratch with logs, and settle down and raise a family with the woman you kidnapped previously on a raid.

And farm!!!

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

One of the most common conceptions of the Dune Worm is that it's a single biological entity. A discerning analysis of its digestive system, however, will show a series of independently rotating concentric biological constructs. Each of these constructs is actually an independent parasitic entity living in a symbiotic relationship with the host worm. As the young worm matures it inevitably picks up larval forms of the mouth parasite which secure themselves in the oral cavity by constantly pressing against the oral cavity; in essence the parasite spends the rest of its life attempting to avoid being swallowed by the worm. Over time the parasite and worm grow larger, and smaller parasites may find themselves trapped inside the "mouth" of a larger one. The fight continues, with each concentric ring of teeth representing another parasite, each one attempting to avoid being swallowed by the one surrounding it. Within the body of the worm is a complex arrangement of concentric digestive systems, with each parasite consuming the remnants of those inside it as well as whatever bits of food make it between each ring. The host worm is left with whatever undigested matter is left. The end result is mutually beneficial. Each of the concentric parasites serves as a "pre-stomach" for the parasite surrounding it, and the host body provides protection for all of its passengers while not having to do any digestion on its own.

Shut up, Brian Herbert!

Maldoror
Oct 5, 2003

by R. Guyovich
Nap Ghost

*sigh* Yeah... I upvoted my own comments. :mmmhmm:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe
Star Citizen: It's a shader issue

Pilz
Jul 25, 2016
Grimey Drawer

thatguy posted:

I don't know what you said but I think you shouldn't listen to AP and instead post more of it.

Kinda with AP on this one. I know goons gon' goon and all that, but can we maybe goon at people that can be called responsible?

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

ripptide posted:

Takes a while for light to catch up to you.

But that's the thing, it's a reflection *from the second planet*.

What it looks like, is as if they unloaded the map with the first planet, loaded the second one, with the pixel shaders for the second map already loaded while the "load screen" warp is playing. Alternatively, these are actually two takes, of two separate scripts, recorded separately, then edited into a single clip.

With the cut at the point where the first planet simply disappears (just *before* the warp).

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

D1E posted:

Don't forget the intricate whittling minigame.

Create a keepsake for your beloved sexbot, or produce works of exquisite art for sale on the fully player driven economy!

Terms and conditions apply. Above features may be *dreams* and not reality. No refunds.

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k

Why are they relying on a volunteer staff, rather than paying them?

Pilz
Jul 25, 2016
Grimey Drawer

Maldoror posted:

*sigh* Yeah... I upvoted my own comments. :mmmhmm:

This is funny though. I'll allow this.

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

Drunk Theory posted:

I've never managed to watch that video. 15 seconds of squeaking is all I can stand.

Is Cymelion that squeaky guy?

At this point - who knows.
(Likely not.)

Pilz
Jul 25, 2016
Grimey Drawer

2DCAT posted:

Why aren't you?

No, seriously. "Officer I know having child slaves work the fields picking cotton is illegal, but they're not slaves, they're /volunteers/. It's good work experience, it'll look great on a resume. It's also amazing exercise. Between you and me, officer, they're all from the slums and horribly disadvantaged, this sort of entry-level low-skilled labour is the only way they'll be able to compete with things like a high school diploma when applying for paid work in the future. Are you going to rob children of the opportunity to succeed? That's downright unamerican!"

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k

AP posted:

https://twitter.com/WolfLarsenSC/status/785639229313339392

Let's play spot the Head of Marketing for Digital Clarity Group.

Everyone in the picture, with the exception of one person, looks precisely how I'd expect them to look. The only thing that's throwing me off is the lack of fedora...

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

2DCAT posted:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sea_Org

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

D1E posted:

Somebody mention the Xbox development on Reddit please.

Please.

Pilz
Jul 25, 2016
Grimey Drawer

Pilz posted:

Why aren't you?

No, seriously. "Officer I know having child slaves work the fields picking cotton is illegal, but they're not slaves, they're /volunteers/. It's good work experience, it'll look great on a resume. It's also amazing exercise. Between you and me, officer, they're all from the slums and horribly disadvantaged, this sort of entry-level low-skilled labour is the only way they'll be able to compete with things like a high school diploma when applying for paid work in the future. Are you going to rob children of the opportunity to succeed? That's downright unamerican!"

This actually works really well in India, the kids are told they'll be arrested and sent to prison if they're working without a licence or some bullshit, so when the raids happen the kids all insist they're volunteers, or that they're actually paid. Also usually some folks will show up and argue that their kids got swept up in the raid by accident, or that the kids were working for their uncle. The kids are scared and will agree.

Basically India's a shithole, which is why so much of Star Citizen is farmed out there. Probably.

Dark Off
Aug 14, 2015

star citizen citizencon demo all revisions
http://www.youtubemultiplier.com/57fd5f4593298-star-citizen-planetary-v2-revisions-v2.php

In middle original uncut version ripped from twitch
In the left newest version with modified script
in the right citizencon stream as whole on star citizen youtube

pay points on
- clouds
- the ambush where are the tusken raiders shooting at?
-sniping incident when the guy shoots the dude walking on the javelin engine. Ragdoll addition
-personal shield added to dragonfly
-and many more

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

ripptide posted:

WTF would they even be considering a port at this stage. Seriously, CR is a leaf in the wind.

Very nice.I would normally never make fun of anyone retarded but as Derek Smart is human evil trash and a asswipe moron that even go after kids of Star Citizen devs and expose them etc he can go to Hell.How the blazzes is he not put in jail with internet removed for atleast 10 years.Mentally ill people like him really have no place among others when they act like poo poo towards others in the most hateful way

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

Decrepus posted:

Very nice.I would normally never make fun of anyone retarded but as Derek Smart is human evil trash and a asswipe moron that even go after kids of Star Citizen devs and expose them etc he can go to Hell.How the blazzes is he not put in jail with internet removed for atleast 10 years.Mentally ill people like him really have no place among others when they act like poo poo towards others in the most hateful way

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8uq7IaCYjs

Crazy_BlackParrot
Feb 1, 2016

Christ Roberts is way better than toilet lord...
:gary: :lesnick: :yarg:
:pgabz: :fuzzknot: :eonwe:
:wtchris:

his head moves around quite a bit.

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever
The gif of the planetary warp on the front page of reddit is "in-engine footage," right? Same with the worm?

sorla78
Oct 11, 2012

EAT THE PAIN AWAY!
to apply proper lingo:
how many console peasants are going to spent a pc's worth on jpgs? maybe CIG should start selling PC's budled with jpgs.

Crazy_BlackParrot
Feb 1, 2016

I also like when they do the flyover the guy on the mountain sounds fades the more they move away., as in like real life.
Not sure how they could achieve this in game...

craptown
Oct 7, 2001
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pdCFTF8j7yI&t=87s

Starting at around 1:27 the camera flies over a forest and we hear not just birds, but monkeys and crickets as well. Wrap it up folks, procedurally generated wildlife is already in!

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

ZenMaster posted:

That account just posts quotes from random citizens and they are amazing every time

drat it man, shuss! those quotes are just as entertaining as the real responses they sometimes get.

MedicineHut fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Oct 11, 2016

sorla78
Oct 11, 2012

EAT THE PAIN AWAY!

Crazy_BlackParrot posted:

I also like when they do the flyover the guy on the mountain sounds fades the more they move away., as in like real life.
Not sure how they could achieve this in game...

it should have been a mountain goat with chris roberts voice.

sorla78
Oct 11, 2012

EAT THE PAIN AWAY!

craptown posted:

Starting at around 1:27 the camera flies over a forest and we hear not just birds, but monkeys and crickets as well. Wrap it up folks, procedurally generated wildlife is already in!

are they also procedurally generating sir attenborough?

craptown
Oct 7, 2001

sorla78 posted:

are they also procedurally generating sir attenborough?

He's the guy yelling "Hello citizencon!" on top of the mountain. They thought of everything!

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

craptown posted:

The only chapter you will see from CIG is 11.

:monocle:

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

craptown posted:

My issue with stuff like this is I just flat out don't believe any of it because Chris is such a loving gibbering idiot

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe
My issue with stuff like this is i think it might be a bit poo poo.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bsqd4_LYZJk

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

quote:

Erin sounds so excited :) If development speed in Manchester is anything like Erin's speech, the game will be finished before the end of the year :P

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

where is derek's new blog, did it arrive yet

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

AP posted:

video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bsqd4_LYZJk&t=98s

Square map? :raise:

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin

They had a team of 240.

1500 total people worked on it globally. These loving people.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

2DCAT posted:

Crobblers needed a new yacht.

Crazy_BlackParrot
Feb 1, 2016

btw what ever happened to Nyx lol? I'm not seeing it on any of the slides lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

Crazy_BlackParrot posted:

btw what ever happened to Nyx lol? I'm not seeing it on any of the slides lol

It was "rolled into" GRIMHEX.

• Locked thread