Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Your Gay Uncle posted:

The old school " why do you have 3 houses right next to each other " fights were so great.

Artie's skin was thin, but The Jokeman's was thinner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Lance Murdock
Feb 29, 2008

Bones heal. Chicks dig scars. And the United States of America has the best doctor-to-daredevil ratio in the world

Your Gay Uncle posted:

The old school " why do you have 3 houses right next to each other " fights were so great.

As much as I LOVED them goofing on Jackie for his houses and beach lifestyle, I always got a little mad because no one, even Fred, seemed to take any joy or personal responsibility in their home ownership.
I remember one discussion where Jackie said he and Nancy spent a fully Saturday planting and landscaping at their homes and no one seemed to think they actually enjoyed it and just goofed on him.

In retrospect, Jackie owning multiple houses in Bayville in the early 90's was actually probably the best investment he ever made.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Squashy Nipples posted:

Artie's skin was thin, but The Jokeman's was thinner.

I don't know. Jackie would get insulted, but not angry. And he would write lots of jokes for the Jackie puppet, even jokes goofing on himself.

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012

prefect posted:

I don't know. Jackie would get insulted, but not angry. And he would write lots of jokes for the Jackie puppet, even jokes goofing on himself.

It's one thing to be self deprecating, it's another to have a group of friends goof on you. Listen to the bit where Jackie's cat Timmy died and where Howard was making fun of him, Jackie was legitimately angry.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Coheed and Camembert posted:

It's one thing to be self deprecating, it's another to have a group of friends goof on you. Listen to the bit where Jackie's cat Timmy died and where Howard was making fun of him, Jackie was legitimately angry.

But holy poo poo, joke about Howard's dog, and uh oh...

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Coheed and Camembert posted:

Yeah, but Jackie never got angry the way Artie got angry. I never got the impression that Jackie might punch somebody; he never went beyond throwing balls of wadded-up joke paper.

Mr Lance Murdock
Feb 29, 2008

Bones heal. Chicks dig scars. And the United States of America has the best doctor-to-daredevil ratio in the world

prefect posted:

Yeah, but Jackie never got angry the way Artie got angry. I never got the impression that Jackie might punch somebody; he never went beyond throwing balls of wadded-up joke paper.

Yet another reason why Artie should have just started smoking weed.

[jackievoice] I'm just an old hippie[/jackievoice]

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
It's going to be funny to see this thread flip on a dime when Artie dies, just like what happened with ETM, who is remembered in this hilarious fog of nostalgia bullshit.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Crotch Bat posted:

It's going to be funny to see this thread flip on a dime when Artie dies, just like what happened with ETM, who is remembered in this hilarious fog of nostalgia bullshit.

I still think he was a complete rear end in a top hat, though I only listened 'live' for about 9 months before he died. :colbert:

BobbyK
Jun 4, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Crotch Bat posted:

When he dies I'll start calling him bro

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Crotch Bat posted:

I'm already in a bit of a nostalgia fog for Artie. I thought he was fantastic for a while, but as the end was approaching, I really hated his guts and found him completely unfunny. (I think the Joe Buck show was just terrible.) Now that he's been gone from the show (and I haven't been listening to the show) for a few years, I remember more of the good stuff and less of the bad.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

BobbyK posted:

When he dies I'll start calling him bro

You're off the bro list.

BobbyK
Jun 4, 2008

by Cyrano4747
That fight was great because Howard did goof constantly on Artie's weight but man, when Artie calls him an ugly pelican fucker you can hear Howard's rear end in a top hat pucker.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Crotch Bat posted:

You mean that people are generally respectful of the dead? I think that's a good thing.

Artie is generally regarded very well here as a entertainer and his humor is missed on the show. People have always been honest about what a big piece of poo poo he is as a person/trustworthy friend. I'm probably the biggest Artie apologist here cause I think Howard handled his departure terribly.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

prefect posted:

I'm already in a bit of a nostalgia fog for Artie. I thought he was fantastic for a while, but as the end was approaching, I really hated his guts and found him completely unfunny. (I think the Joe Buck show was just terrible.) Now that he's been gone from the show (and I haven't been listening to the show) for a few years, I remember more of the good stuff and less of the bad.

Yeah, exactly. He added so much to the show, right up until t hat last year, when his junkie behavior became unbearable.

beep by grandpa posted:

I think Howard handled his departure terribly.

Agree wholeheartedly. Kept his head in the sand on purpose. Honestly, a terrible boss in this regard.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
Artie's public decent into hardcore addiction was a struggle to listen to, but I'll always love hearing that huge belly laugh in the background when something funny happened.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

They played a good 1-2 minute clip of the E show with Trump on Stern last night on Rachel Maddow. It was when Howard asked him if he'd stick by Malania if she was in a terrible accident.

Trash Trick fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Oct 11, 2016

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Trash Trick posted:

They played a good 1-2 minute clip of the E show with Trump on Stern last night on Rachel Maddow. It was when Howard asked him if he'd stick my Malania if she was in a terrible accident.

What was his answer? I'd expect most people to say 'yes, of course', but... well...

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Trash Trick posted:

They played a good 1-2 minute clip of the E show with Trump on Stern last night on Rachel Maddow. It was when Howard asked him if he'd stick my Malania if she was in a terrible accident.

The answer was "no", right? :newlol:

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

It was "How are the breasts? They're ok? Then of course I would"

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Bunch of Howard clips with Trump are being played on the news stations. CNN loves to play them and the talking heads all act disgusted afterward.

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012
Howard's vacation curse strikes again: Trump's presidential campaign.

Smeep
Jan 20, 2004

Some of y'all with decades worth of Howard audio could make some money finding the Trump segments and searching for the "good" stuff. Either set up a page with links/audio and put ads on the page, or even better: just Tweet out what you have and see which media bites.

CortezFantastic
Aug 10, 2003

I SEE DEMONS

Crotch Bat posted:

I started listening around 2007 when I was a kid commuting to college and ended up getting Sirius as a gift. I liked Artie back then and thought he added a lot to the show. At the time, he was great for the show, but him being that way now would be incredibly uncomfortable. He was a really ugly, hateful man at times. That Lisa G clip that was posted recently was super brutal. It makes for good radio but there was no reason to rip into her like that.

Also once he went on his own with the Nick and Artie show, and then solo, I never paid attention. I grew out of liking Artie. When I got to see him live this year, he literally put my brother to sleep. He was that bad. And he only went 15 minutes.

ETM is a motherfuckin' legend for a reason though.

CortezFantastic fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Oct 11, 2016

BobbyK
Jun 4, 2008

by Cyrano4747
What's Artie's stand up even like?

CortezFantastic
Aug 10, 2003

I SEE DEMONS
I genuinely can't remember. It was some gay jokes, pity jokes, some really lame stuff. Dare I say hackish. It was at the Patrice O'Neal benefit and Louis CK headlined so it overshadowed him.

GenoCanSing
Mar 2, 2004

BobbyK posted:

What's Artie's stand up even like?

Don't give a hooker money to go get coke. She'll never come back.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
I couldn't do 10 minutes of "It's the Whiskey Talking" but I'm probably not his target audience i.e. I don't casually say human being twenty times a day.

For his type of crowd, that blue collar working man crowd, he's probably really good and regardless of being on the show or not if he wasn't funny he wouldn't have sold the seats he did(case in point: the Hack Pack playing to rooms of 50-100 compared to Artie selling out the Borgata) but his stuff just isn't for me.

Artie's a good stand-up but he's a tremendous story teller and he fit his role on the show like a glove and that's why there's been a noticeable downturn in quality since he left. It's very easy to describe the show eras and use "Artie years" and "post-Artie years" so that should speak to his impact on the show.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

With Howard, I think his most used phrase is "the fact of the matter is...". With ETM, it was "For starters...".

Any others for the rest of the crew/cast? Marianne might have "Howahd!" but that's not really a phrase (or whatever you'd call my first two examples).

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

With Howard, I think his most used phrase is "the fact of the matter is...". With ETM, it was "For starters...".

Any others for the rest of the crew/cast? Marianne might have "Howahd!" but that's not really a phrase (or whatever you'd call my first two examples).

Dont forget "In a sense..." Howard uses that A LOT!

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
I saw his act a while back. I was close enough to touch him, which was awesome. His jokes aren't great but the stories are amazing. He really needs to turn into a raconteur of sorts

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

JB50 posted:

Dont forget "In a sense..." Howard uses that A LOT!

Damb, I completely forgot about that. Thanks!

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

Damb, I completely forgot about that. Thanks!

It actually should be "In a shense..." as he tries to get the words by his big fake chompers.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

I saw Artie at the borgatta like 4 or 5 years ago and he was terrible. I had been listening to the nick & artie show at the time so literally his entire set were just stories I had already heard him tell on that show or on set. I loving hate the "runners high" joke/story so much.

On the upside part of that tour were jimmy norton, dave attell and amy schumer (right before she got big) and they were all great. Jim Norton's in the philly area at the end of the month, prob gonna see him again. he's a good boy :)

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Dominic Barbara's "First of all"

He would start every loving call with that phrase.

BobbyK
Jun 4, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Obligatory:
In other words Howard,

Do you know what I mean?

Crotch Bat posted:

I couldn't do 10 minutes of "It's the Whiskey Talking" but I'm probably not his target audience i.e. I don't casually say human being twenty times a day.

For his type of crowd, that blue collar working man crowd, he's probably really good and regardless of being on the show or not if he wasn't funny he wouldn't have sold the seats he did(case in point: the Hack Pack playing to rooms of 50-100 compared to Artie selling out the Borgata) but his stuff just isn't for me.

I just don't get why you gotta call it the hack pack dude? I've been doing this a long time, I know what a hack is.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

That was such a badge of honor for him and really all it ends up being is him bragging about doing standup to mostly empty rooms for a decade because he never improved. I mean I guess I wouldn't consider him a hack, just a lovely comedian.

Evil Agita
Feb 25, 2005

Lord Fool, give me another chance. I'll prove my strength to you!

Robin starting every sentence with "Again"

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Evil Agita posted:

Robin starting every sentence with "Again"

I absolutely do this if I'm trying to be condescending to someone. I actually think I picked it up from the show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

gently caress dude, I can't find the April 11th 2016 Louis CK interview anywhere. They did a good job of scrubbing the internet clean of it.