Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002

That's like, your opinion, man.

But seriously, he/she isn't really asking about the "canon" and seems to be more interested in following the early strains of modern thought which is a pretty cool project. Although I'm personally not interested in reading and exploring these particular ideas in the original formulation there often is something really awe-inspiring and illuminating about doing so. For instance, reading old case studies (even going back to the Ebers papyrus) in the medical literature always strikes me because even if they didn't know the underlying cause many of the old physicians were great observers and often picked up on physical findings or signs of illness that we still talk about today in the era of MRI, etc. And this is a little different but with the white--washed high school curriculum heavy in Victorian modesty/morality it's neat to realize that the Decameron, Canterbury Tales, Gargantua and Pantagruel, etc. are all full of bawdy sex tales and fart jokes. It is a nice connection to the real humanity of people from such different times/places.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012
I found Aquarium oddly life affirming and hopeful with the characters trying - perhaps not wholly succeeding, but trying - to find a way to move beyond the cycle of abuse and to reconcile their grievances. Now Goat Mountain, where the horrific violence and the torment of the child protagonist does nothing but escalate, hosed me up.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

I'm reading Goat Mountain right now.

It is loving horrifying.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
I don't see what horrifying about the rotting corpse of a murdered hunter literally hanging over a campsite as a physical representation of moral condemnation

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
I may be a broken person, but Aquarium left me optimistic. Everyone goes through tragedy, it's impossible to fully understand someone else's experience, but you can move forward, you can have hope, you can try.

What made it more enjoyable was the misleading hints that it's going to have a sad ending, making the actual ending such a sweet release of tension.

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002

Franchescanado posted:

I may be a broken person, but Aquarium left me optimistic. Everyone goes through tragedy, it's impossible to fully understand someone else's experience, but you can move forward, you can have hope, you can try.

What made it more enjoyable was the misleading hints that it's going to have a sad ending, making the actual ending such a sweet release of tension.

That was my reading as well. Although the book was tough at times I loved it and thought that it was just a good story about pain and suffering told well.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
I am now sure how to classify the ending to Aquarium. Its definitely the most optimistic ending he has even written, but there is still a raw sort of melancholy behind that lingers despite everything turning out sort of "alright"

I think the part that haunts me is the line that after seeing her mother's disgust at her sexuality, the narrator could never love her mother the way she had before

Its such a heartbreaking line for me.

Twerkteam Pizza
Sep 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I am now sure how to classify the ending to Aquarium. Its definitely the most optimistic ending he has even written, but there is still a raw sort of melancholy behind that lingers despite everything turning out sort of "alright"

I think the part that haunts me is the line that after seeing her mother's disgust at her sexuality, the narrator could never love her mother the way she had before

On a happy note your AV is throwing me off

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Yeah, that's a hard moment, but it's not that she stopped loving her mother, only that her innocent view of Mom's My Hero, Mom's The Best was destroyed. Before she only had unconditional love for her mother, and thought that it was the same towards her, but once she's shown that no, her mom's love doesn't run as deep as her own innocent optimistic love, only if she fits within this cookie-cutter ideal of what a child is supposed to be, it just seals the deal of everything that has happened. She's no longer able to justify her mom's cruelty, and understands that she's probably stronger than her mother, and that her mother really needs help. It's like the final tittle above the i, the final epiphany. And though it's a melancholy moment (that's the perfect term), it's still a triumph of maturity, because she's able to love her mother as a human, flaws and all.

Franchescanado fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Oct 12, 2016

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002
Continuing the Aquarium talk: how long does everyone think her mother really held out alone with her grandmother? A few days? Weeks? Years?

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Invicta{HOG}, M.D. posted:

Continuing the Aquarium talk: how long does everyone think her mother really held out alone with her grandmother? A few days? Weeks? Years?

This seems like a question a doctor would know better than us

Twerkteam Pizza
Sep 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer
Quit Being a loving Child and Read Aquarium

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Welp you've broken me down and I've got a copy of Aquarium reserved at the library.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Invicta{HOG}, M.D. posted:

I'd say at least two years: she was 14 years old when she was abandoned by her father, she had to look old enough to pass as an 18-year-old so she had to be at least 16 to start stripping, and then another two years passed before her mother's body was found, at age 18 or 19, if I remember all of the details correctly. They did make a point to say that her grandmother was young when she got sick and died.

The real question is how long until the movie? I've read that all of his novels have been optioned.

If anyone is curious, David Vann did an interview with Michael Silverblatt for Aquarium. He talks about some of the surprises that came with writing the book (when he started writing the novel, he didn't know who the old man was until he wrote the reveal), he briefly talks about dealing with his father's suicide, about how he's currently translating Beowulf for fun, and talks mad poo poo about Seamus Heaney's translation. Despite his dark material, he seems like a nice guy.

It'd be fun if Aquarium was a future BotM, especially with all of the extended metaphors to play with.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat
what Vann do i read after Aquarium?

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Franchescanado posted:

and talks mad poo poo about Seamus Heaney's translatioN

Hey whoa now, Seamus Heaney was more or less up front about translating Beowulf poetically first and foremost. What he produced was a gorgeous, modern piece of epic poetry that was absolutely faithful to the spirit of the original, not just like getting the story right but even down to symbolism.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

at the date posted:

Hey whoa now, Seamus Heaney was more or less up front about translating Beowulf poetically first and foremost. What he produced was a gorgeous, modern piece of epic poetry that was absolutely faithful to the spirit of the original, not just like getting the story right but even down to symbolism.

Take it up with David Vann.

His argument is that Seamus went too far with poetic license, removing whole lines, adding his own lines, changing words that deal with major symbolism between Beowulf and Grendal and many other major characters, mainly to vilify them as "bad guys".

Go listen to the interview, it's only 20 minutes and it's interesting, though there are spoilers for Aquarium.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Franchescanado posted:

Take it up with David Vann.

His argument is that Seamus went too far with poetic license, removing whole lines, adding his own lines, changing words that deal with major symbolism between Beowulf and Grendal and many other major characters, mainly to vilify them as "bad guys".

Go listen to the interview, it's only 20 minutes and it's interesting, though there are spoilers for Aquarium.

Alright, I'll listen to it. Not too worried about spoilers for a book I'll never read. :smugdog:

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

at the date posted:

Alright, I'll listen to it. Not too worried about spoilers for a book I'll never read. :smugdog:

Have fun, Ignatius. :jerkbag:

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat

at the date posted:

heaney's translation fucks with the text too much. tolkien's is better

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

chernobyl kinsman posted:

tolkien's is better

Nah, it's dry and boring

Heaney's introduction to the translation is also just really cool. Explains how it fits into his poetic project in general.

If you want one that's true to the spirit and the letter, read Ray Liuzza's translation. He's an academic but he has the poetry thing down pat.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

I will never take a bath or read the book 'Aquarium'

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

chernobyl kinsman posted:

what Vann do i read after Aquarium?

I recommend Legend of a Suicide but Goat Mountain is also good

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
I started Aquarium and bought Goat Mountain today. I am ready to join the cult.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

I googled David Vann just before and he looks like a goddamn lizard man

Officer Sandvich
Feb 14, 2010

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I don't see what horrifying about the rotting corpse of a murdered hunter literally hanging over a campsite as a physical representation of moral condemnation

this guy is dark!

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
I read Aquarium and agree that it is a very good book. Im trying to get my gf to read it but I'm afraid it might break her 😌

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!
So which Chums of Chance book is everyone's favorite? Mine is The Chums of Chance in Old Mexico; it's much less racist than I was expecting.

UrAClassAct
Apr 10, 2012
looks like USA#1 might get the nobel this year :allears:

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!
I don't see garrison Keillor among the favourites...

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!
apropos of nothing, is there anything i really should read of delillo that would change my mind, if i thought that White Noise was sterile and boring? like, i'd read munro's latest book before the nobel win and thought it was meh, but last year i got to THe lives of girls and women, which really was great, so i'm willing to give Mr. Don another chance.

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!
or maybe it will be Adichie after all, since now they've brought up Kipling's age at the time of award??? why do i care so much about this anyway?

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!
hahahahahahaha

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
huh.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Good on ya Bobby D

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!
at least i can say that i've translated a book by a nobel prizewinner now lol

really, i'm a huge fan of dylan, but this is, uh, unexpected

UrAClassAct
Apr 10, 2012

UrAClassAct posted:

looks like USA#1 might get the nobel this year :allears:

oh god what have i done

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

What do you call a Bob Dylan who gets fat at the Nobel party?

Blob Dylan

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.
I'm basically OK with this, even though I've spent some time arguing that there is no loving way Bob Dylan is going to win a Nobel, wtf are you talking about

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

What do you call a Bob Dylan sad that the lit thread is making fun of him

Sob Dylan