Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Serf posted:

I don't disagree. I wish we could've seen more of Diamondback being a hardcore arms dealer. I wish Cottonmouth had lasted longer too. I'm just following the progression of Diamondback's degrading thought process from "I'll snipe him" to "I'll hunt him down" to "I'll turn the city against him and set the cops on him" to finally "I'll dress up in a super-suit and get into a streetfight with him". It all seemed to make sense to me as he gets more and more furious and desperate.

More time spent on Cottonmouth, Mariah, Diamondback and Shades would've been great. I also would've loved to see more of Pistol Pete and Mama Mabel back in the day. Their operation was interesting to me.

I don't even see Diamondback's thought process as that individual. To me, the way Shades makes him out to be, this is a guy that has other people do his dirty work. I would've expected him to send some faceless goons or a sniper or two to Cage at first. Instead he does almost all of the dirty work himself except for killing Shades and that's only because he was busy trying to con Mariah.

I actually think Mariah and Shades actually had decent arcs, though I am kind of getting the feeling Shades is going to be the Nobu of Luke Cage where he's going to become a shell of his former self in Defenders or next season and get sniped or killed easily mid-late season. To me, Shades gravitates toward people in power isn't someone who is going to be the kingpin himself. Mariah herself goes from a side player doing the "legit" work of Cottonmouth to reluctantly taking over the criminal enterprise.

I really think Cottonmouth's character arc is something that was incomplete. I am really disappointed that we barely saw any of Cottonmouth's personal life, and almost all of that was flashbacks. We didn't really see Mariah's either, but at least we saw her house a few times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serf
May 5, 2011

notthegoatseguy posted:

I don't even see Diamondback's thought process as that individual. To me, the way Shades makes him out to be, this is a guy that has other people do his dirty work. I would've expected him to send some faceless goons or a sniper or two to Cage at first. Instead he does almost all of the dirty work himself except for killing Shades and that's only because he was busy trying to con Mariah.

I guess for me it's a matter of taking Shades at his word. Shades says Diamondback works through intermediaries and mooks, but then he shows up in person to kill Cage, and that means something big must be going on. Then you find out their history together and it all makes sense. Dude hates Carl Lucas more than anything in the world, and having him come back from the dead with superpowers (which Diamondback says at one point) just breaks his brain. I wish we had onscreen reinforcement of what Shades says, but Diamondback coming in person to kill his greatest enemy in the world makes total sense to me.

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

I have a kind of alacrity in sinking.

This is a thing I've seen making the rounds on facebook lately, relevant to Luke Cage.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Another problem with Diamondback is that he's supposed to be this big deal mover and shaker crime lord, but they never show that. Aside from the Judas metal, there's no sign he has any resources. He just kinda shows up in town.

Falstaff posted:

This is a thing I've seen making the rounds on facebook lately, relevant to Luke Cage.

That owns. I want somebody to do something like for Jessica Jones and Daredevil too

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Guy Goodbody posted:

Another problem with Diamondback is that he's supposed to be this big deal mover and shaker crime lord, but they never show that. Aside from the Judas metal, there's no sign he has any resources. He just kinda shows up in town.
Yes. He shows up without any entourage, a flashy car, or extravagant weapons. He's a murderhobo.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
So I just finished the season. It was an okay show. Far from great... It had a lot of pacing issues and some shaky acting and characterization. I also thought none of the action scenes were particularly good, not even the "big" one where Luke takes out Cottonmouths fort knox. It just wasn't very exciting. I think in the entire 13 episode show, the only cool moment was when Luke ripped a piece of piping out of the wall all of a sudden to beat some dudes with. That's it

Also, too many villains

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Zzulu posted:

So I just finished the season. It was an okay show. Far from great... It had a lot of pacing issues and some shaky acting and characterization. I also thought none of the action scenes were particularly good, not even the "big" one where Luke takes out Cottonmouths fort knox. It just wasn't very exciting. I think in the entire 13 episode show, the only cool moment was when Luke ripped a piece of piping out of the wall all of a sudden to beat some dudes with. That's it

Also, too many villains

I agree on the action scenes. There's not really any question of whether Luke will win in nearly all of them, so there's no suspense.

It's weird to say because the show spent a whole lot of time with the villains, but I feel like it could have spent even more time with them. It could have been a mirror version of Jessica Jones where the whole season is this big riddle about how to stop Kilgrave, but it's how to stop Luke Cage. Cottonmouth and Mariah had a scene where she went "Well can you poison him? Can he be drowned?" and I was like, "Yeah, she gets it." They tried hitting people close to him, blackmailing him and then getting their own superpowered poo poo. That's about it right?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Falstaff posted:

Haha, this is great.

Guy Goodbody posted:

I want somebody to do something like for Jessica Jones and Daredevil too

In the Alias comic, the flashbacks to her short-lived superhero career were drawn in bright colored 90s comic style by Mark Bagley in order to make them stand even further out from the darker palette/more stylized art of her day to day life. It would have been kind of hilarious to see something akin to Mr Robot's sitcom coma in parts of JJ.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

PostNouveau posted:

Edit: OK having actually finished, I think I'm looking forward to the second season more than the next Jessica Jones or Daredevil just because Mariah and Shades seem like they'll make very good main villains.

How about Dr. Pudgy making Diamondback bulletproof too? I don't have much confidence in them not leaning on that ol' bullshit in a second season.

notthegoatseguy posted:

He doesn't really even seem to have goons, aside from a couple of flunkies he inherited from Cottonmouth. The first half builds him up to be this powerful, connected guy, and then when he actually shows up he's just some dumb crazy rear end in a top hat.

Lurdiak posted:

True enough, but I still think if they didn't make the ninjas and the black sky so loving lame it could've worked.

I don't think it's possible to make ninjas not lame when you're going the dark 'n' gritty route. Army Of Ninjas is just such an inherently ridiculous and cartoony concept.

raditts fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Oct 13, 2016

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice

raditts posted:

I don't think it's possible to make ninjas not lame when you're going the dark 'n' gritty route. Army Of Ninjas is just such an inherently ridiculous and cartoony concept.

One ninja is a lethal threat. Groups of ninjas are merely a distraction.

E: Just finished Luke Cage. I liked it. It was almost like a double feature. The first half was an interesting drama that I thought was great. The second half was cheesy fun, but not nearly as interesting as the first half.

nelson fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Oct 13, 2016

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
I will say that at least Luke Cage was good up until a certain point. DD Season 2 had good and poo poo bits interspersed throughout the season. Makes it much harder to skip around.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Guy Goodbody posted:

That owns. I want somebody to do something like for Jessica Jones and Daredevil too
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3nsDv_lkaLw

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

raditts posted:

They managed it in season 1! That guy was the ninjaest ninja ever, and he fit right in.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Huh. I didn't realize that Dardevil had a lot more interesting lighting than Luke Cage

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Lurdiak posted:

They managed it in season 1! That guy was the ninjaest ninja ever, and he fit right in.
Right, but that was taking into account the conservation of ninjas principle:

Lone ninja: total badass.

Many ninjas: total mooks.

There is only so much ninja power to go around, and if you spread it too thin, all ninjas are basically just the putty patrol.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
The feeling I got looking back on the show is that Shades knew Diamondback's screws were looser than ever and that's a big part of why he tried to convince Cottonmouth to handle things on his own.

The other thing is that Diamondback might be a big power broker but they never show him that way because by the time he comes to Harlem, it's already purely personal for him. Every plan is in service to destroying Luke. I think that was kind of a misstep; they needed to show him in his own element a little more than the shootout with the crime bosses to establish him as a character. Kingpin, Punisher, Kilgrave, Cottonmouth and Mariah get a lot more personalization and screen time that makes them far more compelling.

cloneboy
May 7, 2014
When they introduced diamondback, I thought he was Comanche. Like diamondback had unleashed Comanche to deal with Luke Cage and we'd just never see diamondback because he worked from the shadows, but I didn't know anything about Luke Cage prior to this series so

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

LividLiquid posted:

There is only so much ninja power to go around, and if you spread it too thin, all ninjas are basically just the putty patrol.

Exactly this.

Even in DD1, they couldn't help but make it kind of goofy, the dude was still fighting Daredevil even when engulfed in flames.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
The more I think about it the more I realize it was a waste to not just set this before DD season 2 and have the main big secretive arms dealer be Clancy Brown/The Blacksmith. Like how do you get Clancy Brown in a role like that and barely use him AND kill him off. :( Keep Diamondback as one the middle men above Shades that goes nuts and tries to take over so that he has the resources to fight Cage when he learns the guy is alive with super powers.

AbsolutelySane
Jul 2, 2012

LividLiquid posted:

That's the Inverse Ninja principle. Conservation of Ninjas means that the number of ninjas you see attack the hero must equal the number of bodies afterward, although this only holds true for unnamed ninjas. Kosugi's Exclusion Principle states that only one named ninja can exist in a single scene, otherwise they must fight to the death.

vudan
Dec 11, 2010
The best way to watch this, if you are watching with anyone else, is to pause a little after every scene with or about Willis and then shout "Watchu talkin bout Willis! ".

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

One thing I didn't like in particular about Luke Cage was that the bullet stuff wasn't explained very well. They mention that the material is "alien", and that it "drills" into the body and then explodes, but they kinda left things at that. The only reason I can think of is that it was supposed to be symbolism of some sort, but symbolism for what?

It also wasn't clear why the bullet didn't completely destroy Luke from the inside once it exploded, like it did to that guy in the video clip Shades showed Cottonmouth. As far as we know, the only part of Luke that's bulletproof is his skin, right? So his abdominal cavity should have turned to mush.

Also also, I thought Shades said something like "the bullets explode and the shrapnels burn up, leaving no trace" or something along those lines, but then Claire had to take them out of the wound... weird.

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

I have a kind of alacrity in sinking.

1. The bullets are alien metal, i.e., made from scraps picked up from "the incident."

2. Luke didn't explode because his tissues are much thicker and more durable than a normal person's. We learn this during the surgery scene.

3. The last point isn't made clear. You could argue that Luke's thicker, more durable tissues prevent them from properly burning up, but this is really just conjecture.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Falstaff posted:

1. The bullets are alien metal, i.e., made from scraps picked up from "the incident."

2. Luke didn't explode because his tissues are much thicker and more durable than a normal person's. We learn this during the surgery scene.

3. The last point isn't made clear. You could argue that Luke's thicker, more durable tissues prevent them from properly burning up, but this is really just conjecture.

I'd take a stab and say like most things that burn up, they need to be exposed to oxygen to burn out completely. The second hit was all exposed and just melted away on their own while the second was buried deep in his gut and the wound was covered over so they just sat there.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

The important point was that somebody had a weapon that could hurt the invincible man.

It doesn't really matter to the story what bullshitium they were made of, but they chose to tie it into Avengers 1 as a shorthand.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
Luke's internal tissue is almost as tough is as skin, or close anyway. Not tough enough to keep him from experiencing brain trauma from that shotgun blast to the head in JJ but tough enough that they couldn't even cut through tissue underneath his dermis.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I still think having "bulletproof man gets shot by gun" be the big cliffhanger of that Jessica Jones episode was loving dumb.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

It wasn't a cliffhanger. It ends there because that's the emotional peak of the scene.

Serf
May 5, 2011

It does strike me as weirdly realistic in a franchise that usually doesn't care. Like, Tony Stark's armor may be largely impenetrable, but no amount of shock absorption in the world would let him survive some of those unpowered falls. The very first time when he falls out of the sky in the prototype suit while escaping in the original movie established a tone that doesn't seem to carry through in some parts of the MCU.

Like Rhodey's suit getting blasted in Civil War and him ending up paralyzed. Or Luke Cage getting brain trauma from a shotgun blast to the head.

Wait, unless physics only affects black people... :tinfoil:

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.
There's not much point seeking consistency here. It hurts as much as the choreography or plot demands it to, ranging from no/minor discomfort to paralysis/death.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
It was silly for sure, but the whole escalating acid bath clamshell surgery stuff was having some fun with his powers.

But maybe after JJ and this, LC season 2 doesn't have a plotline where he's injured and they desperately need to surgically penetrate his skin.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Electromax posted:

It was silly for sure, but the whole escalating acid bath clamshell surgery stuff was having some fun with his powers.

But maybe after JJ and this, LC season 2 doesn't have a plotline where he's injured and they desperately need to surgically penetrate his skin.

Nah, S02 Luke Cage he'll just have a plotline where he penetrates Claire. :heysexy:

cloneboy
May 7, 2014
That whole acid bath thing was really annoying because they couldn't keep the parameters consistent over two episodes, or even two minutes in the same episode.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

So essentially, it was perfect, because it was just like they do in comic books.

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

We find out in Season Two that he did it intentionally.

"I let those bullets be inside me."

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I liked the acid bath thing, and really the entire struggle to heal him once shot, because it showcased that his power has distinct disadvantages as well as advantages, and that healing if he is hurt is a really difficult process that requires him to go well out of his way to accomplish. It probably could have been done in less time, but I like that once he was hurt it was something that took a while to fix, rather than just shaking it off in the course of an episode and moving on. It's somewhat retreading ground Jessica Jones covered, but not everyone will have seen that and I thought it was pretty well done. The disappearing second bullet was weird though given how much focus they put on him being shot twice.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Diamondback is a pretty poo poo shot

DuhSal
Aug 16, 2004

I will, brother. I promise.

Pillbug

tsob posted:

The disappearing second bullet was weird though given how much focus they put on him being shot twice.

I noticed that too. They spent all that drama on getting the chest bullet out and then completely forgot about the one in the stomach. Unless I missed something.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

DuhSal posted:

I noticed that too. They spent all that drama on getting the chest bullet out and then completely forgot about the one in the stomach. Unless I missed something.

Other way around as I recall, but basically yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

DuhSal posted:

Pretty sure it was a TV shoulder shoot: just inside of the shoulder socket, just below the clavicle, and just outside the upper ribcage. Right in the tiny area of solid soft tissue that lets you look badass while still being no more effected than manly grimacing as you do badass things.