Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
After WCW died, many WCW wrestlers moved on to a crappy little company with big dreams that not a lot of people paid attention to full of ridiculous gimmick matches like dog collar matches, skin to win (last person with clothes on wins) matches, GUITAR ON A POLE, a.... tits, whips, and buff match between Buff Bagwell and Jeff Jarrett, and a championship tournament that can't even make sense for one goddamn night.

It's not TNA, it's the short-lived, never-mentioned-by-anyone-involved-as-far-as-I-can-tell WWA out of Australia.

There were only 4 shows and they were a precursor of things to come in TNA.

Here's the card of the "Basically 2000 WCW" first show "The Inception"

quote:

Juventud Guerrera vs. Psicosis (Ladder Match)
First round WWA Championship tournament

Road Dogg vs. Konnan (Dog Collar Match)

Norman Smiley vs. Crowbar (Hardcore Match)

WWA Battle Royal
Buff Bagwell, Disco Inferno, Stevie Ray, Norman Smiley, Crowbar, Announcers Jerry Lawler and Jeremy Borash, 2 referees, a camera man and a ring announcer 'Open Battle Royal'

Jeff Jarrett vs. Nathan Jones (Guitar on a Pole)

Road Dogg vs. Lenny Lane and Lodi (Handicap match)
Semi-finals of the WWA Championship tournament

Jeff Jarrett vs. Buff Bagwell (Tits, Whips, and Buff match)
Semi-finals of the WWA Championship tournament

Gangrel vs. Luna Vachon

Adara James vs. Danny Dominion vs. Queen Bea vs. Violet Terossi (Skin to Win match)

Bret Hart plays the commissioner, and that is profoundly sad.

It's pretty much a mess even by TNA standards and has all the hallmarks of Russo with men vs women matches, stripteasing, Stevie Ray attempting to figure out someone's sex by lifting their dress (it is very obviously a dude at least) as he says "Suckas gotta know!", and possibly the grossest thing, Jerry Lawler attempting to rape a woman in the middle of a battle royal causing her to jump over the top rope to get away from him (he's wearing a singlet so it doesn't get too cringey thank god).

There's also a plot where Disco Inferno gets into a feud with 2 Bananas in Pyjamas, oh wait I'm sorry "2 fruits, you get it? you GET IT!??? Fruits? Fruits? Huh? Wink wink nudge nudge?" which is what we hear every time they're mentioned.

I didn't know if anyone had ever captured videos, but I found them today on YouTube, wallowing with under 500 views in a neat little playlist:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Qdp8_pFlGY

Future PPVs feature Shark Boy, AJ Styles, Chris Sabin and the returns of SID!, Rick Steiner, Jerry Lynn, and maybe Puppet the Midget Killer's first non-trashcan masturbation wrestling appearance.

pathetic little tramp fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Sep 3, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

We gotta watch that in PSP after wcw ends

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Sushi in Yiddish posted:

We gotta watch that in PSP after wcw ends

We've watched it before and it will be difficult to get people to watch some of the later ones again.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

MassRafTer posted:

We've watched it before and it will be difficult to get people to watch some of the later ones again.

What about XWF

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

question: is puppet the midget killer, a midget that kills in general, a normal-sized guy that kills midgets, or both

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Endorph posted:

question: is puppet the midget killer, a midget that kills in general, a normal-sized guy that kills midgets, or both

The former

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

EugeneJ posted:

What about XWF

Watched it, trying to fix the audio in an XWF infomercial I found that is unlistenable.

To answer future questions the DJ Ran Position has aired:

Every WWA PPV
The first 100 TNA PPVs
The final AWA episode
Every XWF episode
Every AWF video I can find
Herb Abrams UWF
I-Gen Wrestling (Rodman Down Under)
Heroes of Wrestling
Extremely Strange Wrestling
Every episode of Monster Wars
Thunder in Paradise
Pretty much every WCW era Hogan Movie
The WCW on QVC Specials
Sting's WCW era movies, his WCW VHS and his straight to DVD bio

And hundreds of episodes of bad indies, backyard wrestling, death matches and other poo poo I've forgotten.

Plus some good wrestling too.

Beer_Suitcase
May 3, 2005

Verily, the whip is ghost riding.

If you need more indys to watch the YouTube channel TommyNerosTCW is the place I used to work for. They aren't super great by any means but it's wrasslin.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
May I suggest WXO

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6F3TJcLD4k

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

MassRafTer posted:

Watched it, trying to fix the audio in an XWF infomercial I found that is unlistenable.

Every WWA PPV
The first 100 TNA PPVs
The final AWA episode
Every XWF episode
Herb Abrams UWF
Heroes of Wrestling
Thunder in Paradise
The WCW on QVC Specials

And hundreds of episodes of bad indies, backyard wrestling, death matches and other poo poo I've forgotten.

drat I can't believe I missed heroes of wrestling and Thunder in Paradise. Geez, you guys must've started the streams ages ago.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

I've only shown a match or two of WXO so I probably should.

We've also watched both Urban Wrestling groups.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Urban Wrestling is way more entertaining and consistent than most 1999 WCW. We should watch more AWA because AWA.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Halloween Jack posted:

Urban Wrestling is way more entertaining and consistent than most 1999 WCW. We should watch more AWA because AWA.

I found the two UWF PPVs filmed outside of Hammerstein to be so boring. Needed more Steve the Hustler.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

MassRafTer posted:

I found the two UWF PPVs filmed outside of Hammerstein to be so boring. Needed more Steve the Hustler.

But did it contain the right amount of Uncle Murda?

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

MassRafTer posted:

Every WWA PPV
The first 100 TNA PPVs
The final AWA episode
Every XWF episode
Herb Abrams UWF
Heroes of Wrestling
Thunder in Paradise
The WCW on QVC Specials

The 1st episode of WCW Thunder so we could see the shocking footage of the conclusion to Sting/Hogan

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
I waited in line for an hour yesterday to meet Goldberg. He was super nice with everyone, I was impressed. Anyway, at one time he started talking to the audience on a very muffled mic while bass pounded in the background, but I think he apologised to the Canadian audience for hurting Bret Hart.

Rad R.
Oct 10, 2012
The whole WWA thing could have been great, because the roster looked great, on paper. I remember reading about it back in the day, but it was only in recent years that I checked it out, thanks to DailyMotion and YouTube. I'm still a bit surprised how Road Dogg got into this post-WCW clique, I guess it's the Jeff Jarrett connection.

Recently, I got into watching old NWA and early WCW stuff, and The Revival is to blame. CWC as well. It's so old school that it got me searching for Arn and Tully matches, Flair and Steamboat, Rude, Sting, Cactus Jack... Some amazing stuff there. And I gotta say, Schiavone and Ross were an amazing team. Really complimented each other, even if they weren't friends backstage.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
THE MONUMENTAL PODCAST IS HERE! I have been promising to record a landmark podcast with deposed Wrestlehut 2000 moderator "Hulkamatt" and the podcast is here!

http://tindeck.com/listen/kindh

I hope you enjoyed this podcast event.

We mention some visual aids during the podcast. The good folks at LegitShook were kind enough to gif these moments in advance so I am going to link them here: Please view them at the appropriate time.
http://static1.squarespace.com/stat...gif?format=750w
http://static1.squarespace.com/static/522a2049e4b0a0ce717e990c/t/56bb4a97b09f956e4398482e/1455114915237/?format=750w
http://static1.squarespace.com/static/522a2049e4b0a0ce717e990c/t/56bb4abc7da24f7d04cca9ca/1455114952338/?format=750w
http://static1.squarespace.com/static/522a2049e4b0a0ce717e990c/t/56bb4ad38a65e27aeda83b61/1455114986078/getout.gif?format=750w

(It's about the poop feud)

MassRafTer fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Sep 10, 2016

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you
The Squarespace links don't work for me. Looks like the links were copied incorrectly

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

triplexpac posted:

The Squarespace links don't work for me. Looks like the links were copied incorrectly

Looks like someone didn't click them at the appropriate time!

They should work now.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

MassRafTer posted:

Looks like someone didn't click them at the appropriate time!

They should work now.

Thank you. It was VERY important to me that I see these gifs.

Growing up I had the poo poo bucket Nitro on VHS for some reason, so I watched it a few times, I'm pretty sure it scarred me.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Nice to see Randy out of character in that last couple

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

MassRafTer posted:

THE MONUMENTAL PODCAST IS HERE! I have been promising to record a landmark podcast with deposed Wrestlehut 2000 moderator "Hulkamatt" and the podcast is here!

http://tindeck.com/listen/kindh

I hope you enjoyed this podcast event.

We mention some visual aids during the podcast. The good folks at LegitShook were kind enough to gif these moments in advance so I am going to link them here: Please view them at the appropriate time.
http://static1.squarespace.com/stat...gif?format=750w
http://static1.squarespace.com/static/522a2049e4b0a0ce717e990c/t/56bb4a97b09f956e4398482e/1455114915237/?format=750w
http://static1.squarespace.com/static/522a2049e4b0a0ce717e990c/t/56bb4abc7da24f7d04cca9ca/1455114952338/?format=750w
http://static1.squarespace.com/static/522a2049e4b0a0ce717e990c/t/56bb4ad38a65e27aeda83b61/1455114986078/getout.gif?format=750w

(It's about the poop feud)

Good podcast! I watched most of these eps on Tuesday Nitro and didn't know what was going on until I listened today.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Talk about a star studded line up, this week's Nitro has Arli$$ and the debut of ICP!

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
MRT, did you ever show that Thor movie made after the initial Marvel Thor film's success? It has Kevin Nash as Odin and Richard Grieco as Loki.

Dario the Wop
Oct 11, 2007

Hell-Sent, Heaven-Bent

MassRafTer posted:

Talk about a star studded line up, this week's Nitro has Arli$$ and the debut of ICP!
It should be noted that it is actually Arli$$ the character, not Robert Wuhl the actor.

Also, that episode of Arli$$ features a hockey player transitioning into WCW, with Eric Bischoff specifically saying "The Enforcer" is a bad name for a wrestler.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Having listened to The Monumental Podcast I realize that the poop feud missed a golden opportunity.

The first Nash/Savage feud should have had a stipulation.
If Randy Savage loses he must:
1) Change his name to "The Nacho Man". Not "The Nacho Man" Randy Savage, just "The Nacho Man".
2) His gimmick must then be switched to a man who dresses like a giant nacho chip and gives delicious, life saving nachos to the DJ Ran-weary WCW crowds.
3) Team Madness may remain, however they must be renamed into "Team Nacho". The respective women in "Team Nacho" must change their names accordingly.
A) Gorgeous George must be referred to as Nacho #1
B) Madusa must be referred to and Nacho #2
C) Miss Madness 1999 must be referred to as Miss Nacho Nineteen Ninety Nacho.
4) His theme music must be changed. The opening by Gorgeous George (now referred to as Nacho #1) must say "What up Nach?" follow by a lengthy apology on The Nacho Man's behalf to the Buff Bagwell-weary WCW crowds concerning the quality of the following match/segment.
5) He must send to Vince McMahon an apology for taking umbrage towards the correct usage of his name and likeness in the infamous Huckster and Nacho Man vignettes. The apology must be accompanied but a bouquet of Nachos.
6) He may only participate in tag team matches and his partner must be a giant sack of poop. In this case, should poop prove too problematic/valuable, Sid Eudy may be used as a substitute, but only if he changes his name to Cutman From the Mega Man Video Game Series.
7) Eric Bischoff may not have any Nachos because he is awful.
8) Darius Rucker must legally change his name to Hootie. This is not contingent on the outcome of match of the match. Mr. Rucker must simply face reality. He sold a Platinum record in which he was singularly known as Hootie. Hootie is your name, now and forever.
9) As a concession Hootie may then sue the No Limit Soldiers for unlicensed usage of his name in their "battle cry".

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

ChrisBTY posted:

Miss Nacho Nineteen Ninety Nacho

Pro username right there.

zetamind2000 fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Sep 12, 2016

Super Dan
Jan 26, 2006

Dario the Wop posted:

It should be noted that it is actually Arli$$ the character, not Robert Wuhl the actor.

The way I remember it, the announcers continually hyped up "Robert Wuhl from Arli$$" throughout the show, but then he joined the announce team in character and did some kind of promo thing in the ring in character, too.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
For those of you who need more poop feud discussion I should post this here too:

MONUMENTAL PODCAST 2: 90 minutes of poop feud discussion with lots of WCW in 99 in general talk. My guests this week: Oatgan and ChampJulius.

http://tindeck.com/listen/dcldb

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Friends, it is a huge week in WCW-land! Tomorrow night in the DJ Ran Position it is

ROAD WILD 99! The final Road Wild!

Thrill to a main event career vs career and title match with Kevin Nash vs Hulk Hogan! Not Woody, the Hulkster is back!

Also, Benoit defends the US title against DDP and Harlem Heat wrestle in front of bikers again!

I have also posted...

Episode 3: The story of the Big Bang and how the Fusient Media Ventures deal to buy WCW fell apart.

Hear all about a business deal so stupid it almost makes the TNA deal make sense.

http://tindeck.com/listen/iwizk

Please follow the podcast on twitter, donate to the patreon and rate us on itunes!

MassRafTer fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Oct 10, 2016

laz0rbeak
Oct 9, 2011
All other media was unavailable to me so I read some more Death of WCW yesterday. It's so irritating that they use the exact same "look at these dummies" tone whether they're describing legitimately bad ideas like Master P and the No Limit Soldiers or explaining that it's IMPOSSIBLE for 3 Count to have a platinum album when they've never released a song.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

laz0rbeak posted:

All other media was unavailable to me so I read some more Death of WCW yesterday. It's so irritating that they use the exact same "look at these dummies" tone whether they're describing legitimately bad ideas like Master P and the No Limit Soldiers or explaining that it's IMPOSSIBLE for 3 Count to have a platinum album when they've never released a song.

The kind's of people driven to review pro wrestling both as a business and as a show are the same sorts of people who like to nitpick the hell out of movies. I am guilty of it myself at times. When I am in a more self aware mood, I try to remind myself that it is far more fun to take the camp as presented, rather than tearing it to pieces, and especially more fun to let good stuff stand without ripping it to shreds in the name of authenticity. Bryan is the sort of guy who after watching "The Godfather", will rant about every single continuity error listed in it's IMDB page.

Perdido
Apr 29, 2009

CORY SCHNEIDER IS FAR MORE MENTALLY STABLE THAN LUONGO AND CAN HANDLE THE PRESSURES OF GOALTENDING IN VANCOUVER

laz0rbeak posted:

A lot of that has to do with the Wrestlecrap guy being involved with the book.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Perdido posted:

Has RD Reynolds actually done anything big and impressive with the amount of internet credibility Wrestlecrap got him? Or did he do that site, this book, and a whole lotta nothing?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Perdido posted:

and the actual wrestlecrap solo books are like the worst things ever

WRESTLECRAP BOOK OF LISTS (of gay jokes lmao)

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

rotinaj posted:

Has RD Reynolds actually done anything big and impressive with the amount of internet credibility Wrestlecrap got him? Or did he do that site, this book, and a whole lotta nothing?
he's made money, if that's what you're asking

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014

corn in the bible posted:

and the actual wrestlecrap solo books are like the worst things ever

WRESTLECRAP BOOK OF LISTS (of gay jokes lmao)

Or "Hey what this guy writes isn't nearly as funny without the animated gifs next to it"

Also he's a dick, he got the archives of the old wrestlecrap site pulled because he was selling the old archives.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Oh God - I remember I archived the entire Wrestlecrap website years ago and probably have a backup of it somewhere

I don't even remember why I did it - did RD Reynolds announce ahead of time that Wrestlecrap was closing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZixTheYeti
Jul 12, 2005

Hellarious!

EugeneJ posted:

I don't even remember why I did it - did RD Reynolds announce ahead of time that Wrestlecrap was closing?

I think so. A couple months in advance if I remember correctly.