Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

MrLonghair posted:

Seemingly just the ordinary motion sickness from driving kicking in harder than ever before, especially at the sports-car speeds you go. Adjusting IPD helps cut sickness down immensely and IGN says there's no such thing as adjusting PSVR IPD so that might be tech journalists being tech journalists all over again.
Woah, what? I heard you can adjust IPD in the system settings.

Edit: Or is that the point, that they didn't do enough research?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Re Carmack talk, he goes in to great detail about how the majority of the use is mostly passive experiences, how video is captured with minimum video degradation, encoding types, and spends a lot of time talking about how phone hardware is mainly thermal limited, it's difficult to dissipate 25W of heat in a stacked piece of hardware encased in plastic.

Also talks about how phones are full of carrier bloatware and the only real solution is to offer a dedicated set of goggles, rather than trying to complete with spyware for resources. Makes a direct comparison to developing for consoles where you have absolute control of the hardware.

Also talks at length about JavaScript as a sort of low barrier to entry language for experimenting with VR experiences without the overhead of unity or unreal.

It's a good talk, he doesn't talk about hand tracking or cell phones much at all

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Oct 12, 2016

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

JazzFlight posted:

Woah, what? I heard you can adjust IPD in the system settings.

Edit: Or is that the point, that they didn't do enough research?

PSVR doesn't have a physical IPD adjustment.

There IS a software adjustment, but it is not part of the initial setup or the quick options menu where the setup tutorial refers for adjusting the PSVR. As you said it is buried in the system settings.

Relevant section of the manual:
http://manuals.playstation.net/document/en/ps4/settings/psvr.html

("Eye-to-Eye Distance")

Based on what Sony was telling developers early on each user can have an IPD value associated with his/her PlayStation ID.

(edited multiple times for accuracy)

Rastor fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Oct 12, 2016

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Rastor posted:

PSVR doesn't have a physical IPD adjustment.

Early on Sony was telling developers that there would be a software adjustment which would be stored with each user's PlayStation ID, however, this doesn't seem to have made it into the launch product. Instead Sony is saying that they've made the PSVR lenses in such a way that they have a large "sweet spot" that eliminates the need for an IPD adjustment. There will probably be a lot of people with IPD outside the average range who won't find PSVR comfortable to use (or at least not as convincing).

It does seem to have made it in, it's just buried in the menus somewhere and this reviewer doesn't have a very high opinion of it.

quote:

While PlayStation VR doesn’t have a physical IPD adjustment (to change the distance between the lenses to match a user’s eye spacing), it does have a software IPD adjustment which can help improve clarity and comfort in VR.

You can manually dial in your IPD if you already know it, or you can use the PlayStation Move camera to do an approximate measurement. You’ll find the option under Settings > Devices > PlayStation VR.

The tool works by snapping a stereo image of your eyes as you stand near to the PlayStation VR camera. After taking the photo, the software will attempt to automatically detect the center of your pupils, and you’ll be given the opportunity to fine tune that detection by moving a cursor on each photo of your eye to the exact center. The result will spit out an IPD measurement in millimeters and automatically plug that value into the IPD setting.

In my experience the IPD measurement seemed inaccurate by one or two milimeters, but the UI during the process does warn that it’s an approximate measurement only.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Having the image be clear is a nice side effect but ipd is important to make things look the right size.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

haveblue posted:

It does seem to have made it in, it's just buried in the menus somewhere and this reviewer doesn't have a very high opinion of it.

Thanks, I edited my post.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
All the Oculus Connect talks are up on youtube

Interestingly, at 9m27s of this video they show off a bunch protoypes and the first one in the second row looks really similar to the newly announced Vive one.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7kJ409ML6_U

Also this one is really good too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=132V2g2P64o

somethingawful bf fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Oct 12, 2016

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
From that OC3 presentation on Touch design, the full range of hand positions/gestures you can achieve with Touch, plus an in-depth look into the various capacitive buttons. The whole video's really worth a look but here's where he starts talking about buttons & gestures: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7kJ409ML6_U&t=900s
e: in fact a lot of these talks are really great, reminds me of the VR developer roundtables Valve did earlier in the year: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=user?oculusvr?videos

El Grillo fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Oct 12, 2016

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
I wonder what playing a virtual piano would feel like with full finger tracking but no real haptic feedback. Probably the reason Oculus didn't go for that is for most VR applications you just won't need ten independant fingers. If you could get a sense of resistance from stuff you interacted with though (maybe not texture at this point), through like some sort of robotic glove, that might make it worthwhile.

EDIT: Can I have a powered power glove please

Surprise Giraffe fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Oct 13, 2016

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Good point. Also, I really like Vive's idea but there's definitely a usability trade-off. How long would it take to pick up a beer with those things on?

w00tazn
Dec 25, 2004
I don't say w00t in real life

AndrewP posted:

Good point. Also, I really like Vive's idea but there's definitely a usability trade-off. How long would it take to pick up a beer with those things on?

Oculus guy specifically mentioned that they wanted a one size fits all controller. The Vive prototype looks like it's very much suited for a particular sized hand.
Also lol everyone who complained about Left and Right touch now has to deal with Left and Right Vive wands

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Vive fanboys were definitely complaining that the touch would be too small for some people's hands and now the vive will have something even more one size fits some.

w00tazn
Dec 25, 2004
Apparently it does do some finger sensing. The prototypes they were demoing allow for analog grip which detects how open your fingers are. Wonder what magic they're using to detect that.... echo/light sensor?

Edit: I didn't see any examples of pointing / thumbs up though.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

That making of touch talk was really neat just to see how thought out every step of the way was, and all the tiny details they had to think about. Just the worry about where they had to put the hinge for the triggers to make them feel like they're moving naturally with your finger movement was interesting, along with tests like making one large grabbing button for all 3 bottom fingers (which ended up with people throwing the controller when trying to throw objects in VR). Just really really neat to see the thought process.

That new vive controller looks really cool, and it will be neat to see if they add some finger posing, or if its just a new form factor for the same controls. Having finger posing would be awesome, and keep parity with touch especially if programs make use of finger position to activate certain features that would be cumbersome to emulate. I do wonder about fragmentation though if you have all these people playing with wands and no finger tracking, and then 2017 vives coming with that extra functionality standard. I know in these early years theres going to be so much advancement, but it kinda sucks for people that just bought 800 dollars worth of VR equipment that would need to upgrade not even a year later if some games extensively use fingers.

w00tazn
Dec 25, 2004
Capacitive sensor, currently only does grip sensing doesn't have finger/thumbs.. Sounds like the touch.

https://twitter.com/downtohoerth/status/786366151630520320

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think it would be cool if they released another vive controller with a joystick and a couple buttons instead of the trackpad. The trackpad is cool and all but two of them is kind of overkill.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

w00tazn posted:

Capacitive sensor, currently only does grip sensing doesn't have finger/thumbs.. Sounds like the touch.

Looks neat, I like that it hangs on the hand but I'm disappointed it looks so alpha, I was picturing something much further along to a release or dev kit.

Ludicrous Gibs!
Jan 21, 2002

I'm not lost, but I don't know where I am.
Ramrod XTreme

Zero VGS posted:

I thought Samsung themselves were screwing with motion controllers for Gear VR a while back...

edit: Rink:
https://techcrunch.com/2016/01/02/samsungs-rink-motion-controllers-for-gear-vr-look-pretty-great/

Cool, thanks. :) Doesn't look as smooth as the Vive wands (I was really blown away by how 1-to-1 their movement is), but it's a start. Looks like mobile VR is going to be the "little brother" for a while longer, before ultimately taking over.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

The connect talk on quill and medium was really cool. First real look at quill that i've seen, and the best explanation and demo of medium I've seen as well. Seriously cool stuff, I can't wait to play around with it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZcYvrbKWJc

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

Surprise Giraffe posted:

I wonder what playing a virtual piano would feel like with full finger tracking but no real haptic feedback. Probably the reason Oculus didn't go for that is for most VR applications you just won't need ten independant fingers. If you could get a sense of resistance from stuff you interacted with though (maybe not texture at this point), through like some sort of robotic glove, that might make it worthwhile.

EDIT: Can I have a powered power glove please

Sometimes you see pro pianists and keyboardists practicing the movements on air before playing, I'm far from that level, but it is mainly a case of tracking being able to keep up and keep accuracy. Leap Motion on roids is what I'm tihnking.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

w00tazn posted:

Interesting, it really is an over-the-hand type design at the moment, very similar to some of the rejected Touch designs. I was thinking the first photo we saw made it look more like a clamp-type design, i.e. open at one end and with a sprung hinge mechanism at the other, so that it lightly clasps your hand. Wonder if anyone's tried that - it'd compensate for different hand sizes, allow you to throw things without throwing the controller etc. But perhaps there's just no way to make something like that comfortable while still strong enough to not fly off when you try and throw something.
e: oh wait, the new Vive thing is open at the bottom, not a fully enclosed loop:

Poetic Justice posted:

Here's a better picture of it

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

http://gizmodo.com/is-facebook-disappearing-oculus-founder-palmer-luckey-1787705084

quote:

Inside the lunch, several attendees told me, Oculus employees spoke to developers who were planning to leave the platform because of Luckey, and tried to get them to stay. When one answered that they wished Oculus would, at worst, make a statement acknowledging the situation and, at best, have Palmer no longer be involved with Oculus, a representative told the developer that neither of those things was going to happen.

I had a similar experience when I asked John Carmack, the company’s CTO, about Luckey. Carmack has faced criticism in the past, after a woman asked him about the “gender gap” in virtual reality and he replied, “We are having a hard time hiring all the people we want. It doesn’t matter what they look like.” I asked Carmack what he thought about the recent controversy surrounding Luckey. He chuckled and headed towards his upcoming keynote. When I continued to ask Carmack questions, like whether Luckey was still employed at Facebook, Carmack’s PR handler held his briefcase to my face and said “We’re not talking to you.” Something similar happened when I tried to ask Oculus CEO Brendan Iribe about Palmer. “I...I can’t,” Iribe told me. “I have to go find my mom, sorry.”

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

The attitude displayed in this article, and the implications of it throughout society irrespective of VR, is loving horrifying. :stonk: :cripes:

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

MrLonghair posted:

Sometimes you see pro pianists and keyboardists practicing the movements on air before playing, I'm far from that level, but it is mainly a case of tracking being able to keep up and keep accuracy. Leap Motion on roids is what I'm tihnking.
Yeah but playing on unweighted keys is terrible, no feedback at all would be even worse. Hopefully someone comes up with cool VR instruments that utilize the strength of the medium, emulating existing instruments will just be gimmicky garbage.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Rime posted:

The attitude displayed in this article, and the implications of it throughout society irrespective of VR, is loving horrifying. :stonk: :cripes:

What do you mean exactly?

Fleedar
Aug 29, 2002
RARRUGHH!!
Lipstick Apathy
There's a high degree of subjectivity involved here, but I picked up a PSVR today and was shocked to find that the screen looks much better inside to my eyes than both the Rift and the Vive. No god rays, no concentric ring artifacts, no red tint, no weird skewing/distortion when I turn my head, and true, deep blacks with no smearing (although some games still keep the pixels switched on to one shade above black for some reason?). I guess maybe the edges of the screen are slightly less sharp than the center, perhaps due to inferior optics or lack of hardware IPD adjustment, but I'd happily deal with that tradeoff. I'm one of the babies who is really bothered by the god rays in the other headsets though. I haven't seen anyone else express these opinions. Am I crazy? It's on the verge of ruining the other headsets for me :(

The Move controllers are shockingly bad though.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

Fleedar posted:

There's a high degree of subjectivity involved here, but I picked up a PSVR today and was shocked to find that the screen looks much better inside to my eyes than both the Rift and the Vive. No god rays, no concentric ring artifacts, no red tint, no weird skewing/distortion when I turn my head, and true, deep blacks with no smearing (although some games still keep the pixels switched on to one shade above black for some reason?). I guess maybe the edges of the screen are slightly less sharp than the center, perhaps due to inferior optics or lack of hardware IPD adjustment, but I'd happily deal with that tradeoff. I'm one of the babies who is really bothered by the god rays in the other headsets though. I haven't seen anyone else express these opinions. Am I crazy? It's on the verge of ruining the other headsets for me :(

The Move controllers are shockingly bad though.

I've been hearing a lot of good things about PSVR and I'm really happy it's good. I was worried after I watched that Giant Bomb video last week where they had awful tracking issues.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I'm working my way through the giant bomb stream. I've only seen Rez, Headmaster and Driveclub so far (this stream is six hours long). Drive Club looks like garbage. Headmaster looked really cool.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

I really wish we could have a headset with the comfort of the PSVR, the simplicity of the Rift, and the tracking of the Vive. After a few years of messing around with the DK1 and DK2, and being really impressed with Gear VR, I was hoping to buy a headset some time this year, but they all have tiny issues (and lacking content) that keep me from paying the price for one. I thought the PSVR might be the one I'd end up with, particularly if people got it working on PC (and you know that's coming eventually), but the potential tracking issues are really souring me on it until more impressions come out and there've been a few more firmware updates.

tastychicken
Jul 17, 2007
Title text goes here
Too much drama not enough VR titties. What's wrong with you guys?

fenrif
Jan 12, 2010

AndrewP posted:

What do you mean exactly?

People are allowed to have different political opinions in their private lives.

The mob can't even get them fired over it!

It's like we're living in some sort of nightmare.

tastychicken posted:

Too much drama not enough VR titties. What's wrong with you guys?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e1P4OUw5D7M

00:48 what's wrong with these VR titties? It's like they've decided they want their own game and are trying to escape.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

fenrif posted:

Oh I see, you seem to be working under the impression that people are upset about Palmer Luckey's politics, instead of him being a literal white supremacist

fenrif
Jan 12, 2010

homeless snail posted:

Oh I see, you seem to be working under the impression that people are upset about Palmer Luckey's politics, instead of him being a literal white supremacist

Point me to where he does or says something indicating he's a white supremacist, please.

AFAIK he just paid people to make some pro-trump memes?

bloodysabbath
May 1, 2004

OH NO!

fenrif posted:

I love Carmack's response. Chuckling and going about your day is the absolute correct response to a 12 year old boy trying to play gotcha about dumb poo poo.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Instead of controllers, why don't we just have motion capture gloves? Sure, the lighthouses probably need to get smarter, but it would be awesome if you could actually move your fingers and manipulate objects in game.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Collateral Damage posted:

Instead of controllers, why don't we just have motion capture gloves? Sure, the lighthouses probably need to get smarter, but it would be awesome if you could actually move your fingers and manipulate objects in game.

I honestly thought that was what HTC would go with next. I'm a little disappointed that we're not getting that, but I assume they have it on the table or are leaving it to third parties.

The new controllers at least make it a possible next point.

fenrif
Jan 12, 2010

Collateral Damage posted:

There's a few companies working on stuff like this. With haptic feedback and resistive gloves. One idea, whos name escapes me, is to have a kind of mechanical armature over each finger which can resist pressure and allow you to "hold" virtual objects.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

bloodysabbath posted:

I love Carmack's response. Chuckling and going about your day is the absolute correct response to a 12 year old boy trying to play gotcha about dumb poo poo.

god forbid a games journalist try to do some journalism

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon

fenrif posted:

There's a few companies working on stuff like this. With haptic feedback and resistive gloves. One idea, whos name escapes me, is to have a kind of mechanical armature over each finger which can resist pressure and allow you to "hold" virtual objects.

Looking forward to the full body exoskeleton thats throws the player to the ground when they're too slow dodging

Surprise Giraffe fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Oct 14, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

fenrif posted:

Point me to where he does or says something indicating he's a white supremacist, please.

AFAIK he just paid people to make some pro-trump memes?

No way man, just listen and believe.