Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

I'm not really sure how Clayface power armor is very useful to be honest.
In the animated series he would turn parts of himself into metal apropos of nothing and one of his offshoots developed independent sentience. He's uh... malleable... :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TGG
Aug 8, 2003

"I Dare."
Yeah I wouldn't mind my armor being a sentient clayish green lantern ring. Gotta help having armor that can move with a punch.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Oh, Does Clayface have a mental link to Batman? That makes more sense.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Sure why not. Clayface can do almost whatever the plot requires provided it doesn't involve energy blasts or high-level strength/speed. I wouldn't be surprised if he could hack computer systems by inserting his clay into the circuitry.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
Clayface (any clever shapeshifter, really) is a delight to watch in motion or in 2d with a talented artist, so I'm all for any excuses to get him back in the spotlight.

smashpro1
Mar 1, 2009

Shirley, these things happen in video games. We can't get hung up on real-world morality.

Secret Wars #8

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Thanos: Yessssss I'm finally dead, yes! FINALL-
Death: Go home, fuckboy.
Thanos: Goddammit.... :negative:

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
That's surprising, because Thanos even without the Gauntlet still has great power, if I recall right.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

Bloodly posted:

That's surprising, because Thanos even without the Gauntlet still has great power, if I recall right.

Doom is the god in that story, possessing near-infinite power.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Bloodly posted:

Thanos's normal power level ranges from "a whole lot" to "an enormous amount", but if that's Doom-as-god, I don't think it matters.

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009

prefect posted:

Thanos's normal power level ranges from "a whole lot" to "an enormous amount", but if that's Doom-as-god, I don't think it matters.

It's Doom-as-god, with the powers of the Beyonders. And Thanos didn't even die, he was deleted from reality. Just, made into nothing.

And now he loves nothingness. You should read Ultimates. It's cool.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

ElNarez posted:

It's Doom-as-god, with the powers of the Beyonders. And Thanos didn't even die, he was deleted from reality. Just, made into nothing.

And now he loves nothingness. You should read Ultimates. It's cool.

I'm (very gradually) catching up with all the stuff from the last couple of years. Currently reading the "Time Runs Out" hardcover.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
It's also meant as dramatic irony, as Thanos COULD have had the gauntlet, as Strange made sure to have Doom build his castle on the one fragment in Battleworld that had all the gems from it's world on it. T'Challa has it at that point.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

And even that wasn't enough. The battle between T'Challa and Doom across different planes of existence was badass. Someone should post that.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
I remember a lot of people saying that was Hickman at his most fanboyish for Doom and, yeah, that'd probably be it. It's still very weird for me that he had no better plan for Thanos than getting clumped after delivering a pretty good line. I thought he was building up to more with that angle.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
There was also Thing, too.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Nilbop posted:

I remember a lot of people saying that was Hickman at his most fanboyish for Doom and, yeah, that'd probably be it. It's still very weird for me that he had no better plan for Thanos than getting clumped after delivering a pretty good line. I thought he was building up to more with that angle.

tbf, his plan with Thanos was mainly to make Thing tear down the wall/himself. I'm not sure he ever thought he could actually beat Doom. But then, Thanos always was a tough son of a bitch, maybe he really did think he could pull it off.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Pls post the Thing thing because I have no idea what the gently caress you guys are on about and it sounds like a badass panel and oops look what thread we are in.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

TwoPair posted:

tbf, his plan with Thanos was mainly to make Thing tear down the wall/himself. I'm not sure he ever thought he could actually beat Doom. But then, Thanos always was a tough son of a bitch, maybe he really did think he could pull it off.

Didn't Thanos kill the Cthulhuverse? I know he was involved, at least.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Toshimo posted:

Pls post the Thing thing because I have no idea what the gently caress you guys are on about and it sounds like a badass panel and oops look what thread we are in.

Quick backstory When 616 was destroyed some people got on a life raft. Sue, Ben, and Johnny, and the kids fell off the raft into oblivion but Doom saved them. He pulled some memory rewrites and now Sue is his wife, Johnny is Battleworld's sun, and Ben is the Shield, a giant wall sectioning the southern 1/3rd or so of battleworld off from the rest, where the annihilation wave, ultrons, and zombies all fight to overrun the shield and the world. Thanos comes to town and reveals some of this to Ben Grimm....

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
What happened next was so completely underwhelming after that setup

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

site posted:

What happened next was so completely underwhelming after that setup

https://comicnewbies.com/2015/12/19/the-thing-vs-galactus-secret-wars/

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Exactly

Grimm coming back was hinted over multiple books and months of time and that's what we got

TGG
Aug 8, 2003

"I Dare."
I did love Thanos in his cell explaining everything to Ben and he ends it with "WHAT TIME IS IT!". Some solid poo poo there I thought.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

TGG posted:

I did love Thanos in his cell explaining everything to Ben and he ends it with "WHAT TIME IS IT!". Some solid poo poo there I thought.

Siege was a loving amazing mini in a field of a lot of great tie in minis.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

The Peter's toothpick reveal after the Grimm/Galactus fight was even better.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
I feel like this is referencing a painting I saw in Art History class

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.
Probably Goya's Colossus.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

Nevvy Z posted:

Quick backstory When 616 was destroyed some people got on a life raft. Sue, Ben, and Johnny, and the kids fell off the raft into oblivion but Doom saved them. He pulled some memory rewrites and now Sue is his wife, Johnny is Battleworld's sun, and Ben is the Shield, a giant wall sectioning the southern 1/3rd or so of battleworld off from the rest, where the annihilation wave, ultrons, and zombies all fight to overrun the shield and the world. Thanos comes to town and reveals some of this to Ben Grimm....

So he basically had Ben Grimm doing what Masakado does for Tokyo in SMT IV? Was this before or after that game came out?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Nevvy Z posted:

The birds are there to show scale.

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me

Lurdiak posted:

The birds are there to show scale.

The birds have people riding on them.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Why is that dude seemingly piloting Galactus? More of that memory rewrite stuff mentioned upthread?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
It's Franklin.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

MisterBibs posted:

Why is that dude seemingly piloting Galactus? More of that memory rewrite stuff mentioned upthread?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
I forgot that those panels are already on page 2 of this very thread.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

That whole issue loving owned god drat I loved that story.

badjohny
Oct 6, 2005

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

All hope lies in doom!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

The whole run was superb, probably the best FF was since Waid/Weiringo, better in a lot of ways.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
"TO ME... MY GALACTUS" is one of the best lines in comics ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nothing But Hate
Oct 7, 2006
When night falls, she covers the world, in impenetrable darkness

When did The Thing start looking awesome?