Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum
"Go down swinging?" How are they going to do that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.
Quick logistical note - going to try and standardize on two minute turns so this doesn't take forever.

:siren:Plan your orders accordingly for a two minute turn:siren:

That mostly just means make sure you give me some conditional orders so your units can still react to threats without stopping the game every 60 seconds.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

dtkozl posted:

"Go down swinging?" How are they going to do that?

Its a baseball term, homie. It means you take a swing and try for a hit rather than stare blankly as the third strike crosses the plate. They will probably die moving laterally to the contact. They will DEFINITELY die if they stop as panicky Ukranian office workers mill around a cold war export relic truck while under fire. The only actually good solution to this problem is a time machine that takes us seven minutes into the past.

1st Platoon are the dead yet born.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
I think the biggest casualty this last turn was the element of surprise tbqh, because unless the Russians are apocalyptically oblivious they're gonna see we're running the remnants of a company into the woods and realize that's where we're concentrating our forces.

The biggest advantage of the SW quadrant was that we wouldn't be seen until it was too late for them. :(

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum

Willie Tomg posted:

Its a baseball term, homie. It means you take a swing and try for a hit rather than stare blankly as the third strike crosses the plate. They will probably die moving laterally to the contact. They will DEFINITELY die if they stop as panicky Ukranian office workers mill around a cold war export relic truck while under fire. The only actually good solution to this problem is a time machine that takes us seven minutes into the past.

1st Platoon are the dead yet born.

I understand what the term means. I don't understand how it applies to this situation. The contact is 1.5 km across the map. They can't shoot at it so there is no "swing" to speak of. The btrs are going to stop when you give them new orders regardless. They will probably panic once they spot the tank and the in game AI starts up. If you have an actual plan speak up.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

2nd platoon, 2nd company, Ad Hoc Armored Whatever

Oplot and M1A2 follow the purple path to re-join the axis of the convoy and start firing on that T90. The T-64 will peel off and head into half moon copse along the light blue path.

The Oldest Man fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Oct 13, 2016

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
The plan such as it is, is to attempt to get out of LoS of that drat tank. If the BTR freezes up and gets shot then its six up, half a dozen down.

The Oldest Man posted:

2nd platoon, 2nd company, Ad Hoc Armored Whatever

All three tanks move (Hunt)

turn left, man! noooo

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum
Lets wait till we get some real picture of the area until we give orders The Oldest Man. Just going by the one overhead map is not going to work.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Ultra Carp

1st Company Orders

The plan has, to put it bluntly, broken down completely. The Russians have moved much faster than originally anticipated, to the point where they already have tanks in our original deployment area.

Right now, our priority is to get our troops out of the line of fire as quickly as possible, and then proceed to secondary deployment areas south of ASR Tinker to prevent any further Russian advance.

SITUATION

The Russians, to put it bluntly, have us dead to rights. They have excellent line of sight down the road, and any further attempt to drive down Trump will lead to more dead BTRs and more wiped squads. As it stands, we'll likely lose at least 1-2 more BTRs before we can get off the road.

ORDERS

As it stands, here is our current, revised plan:

1st Platoon

At this point, you're going to stick to something resembling the original plan-make a gentle turn and speed towards Junction, since that's going to be the quickest way to get out of the line of fire. From, there, deploy and move troops to ASR Tinker.

Second Platoon

Similarly to 1st Platoon, you're going to veer off MSR Trump at an angle, and speed for the road that goes through Half-Moon Copse. From there, drive through Half-Moon and come back through the Circus Gap, before deploying to move up to ASR Tinker.

Third Platoon

Take a hard left and drive past Half-Moon (Take the road up that sharp incline if you can). From there, same as Second Platoon-drive up to the Circus Gap and deploy to move to ASR Tinker.

Weapons Platoon

The stranded ATGM team needs to move his rear end FAST straight north, to get out of line of sight of whatever tank or tank-like-object is currently perched on ASR Eagle. Then, he needs to MOVE west to Ribeye.

In addition, there's currently an ATGM in the middle of Ribeye. That guy needs to move to the edge of the forest (See my last orders, where the second ATGM was going to go), and start setting up to try and knock out whatever is currently perched on Eagle.

Finally, the BTR that was carrying our machine-gun teams is going to need to make a distraction. I want him to move QUICK out past the Junction, in hopes of either disrupting the T-90's next shot, distracting their shot placement, or otherwise intercepting a round that would have otherwise hit one of our other vehicles.

dtkozl:

I understand your concern, but here's the thing-our troops are going to get shot up regardless. If we can get out of the kill zone with our transports at least somewhat quickly, then we're still going to be able to reach defensive positions along Tinker in something approaching a timely manner. If we abandon our transports now, that means we're going to take even more casualties trying to escape the kill zone, while it'll also take even longer to reach anything approaching a defensible position.

That's the company consensus, and that's the plan I'm sticking to.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Ultra Carp
Also, from the looks of it appears as though Chunky Monkey's tanks are literally within yards of getting LoS on that T-90. If they can draw the T-90's fire or disable it themselves, that'll greatly help in buying time for 1st Company to divert from their current route.

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

Orders for 1st Company, 1st Platoon

:kingsley:

Get off the road immediately, moving as fast as possible along the blue line. Any survivors disembark, move prone into the woods just North of the road along the red line facing North.

Have the BTRs move to the end of the yellow line, that might throw the Russians off slightly on the positions of the infantry.

If any BTRs bog down, disembark and proceed on foot. Any crewmen without vehicles follow on foot

ro5s fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Oct 12, 2016

VerdantSquire
Jul 1, 2014

2nd Company, 2nd Platoon orders

Continue fuckin' goofing off on your smartphones or facebook or whatever waiting for the amercians to move their fat rear end Strykers. Aren't we taxpayer dollars well spent?

VerdantSquire fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Oct 12, 2016

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum
Ace if you are going to move in the btrs why not move straight west since that is the quickest path out of los? Why move at an angle and keep them in los even longer?

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Here's a few screenshots I took on demand in the roll20:

View you get from tracing the hit-markers on the bogged BTR

The T-90 scraping the paint on one of Brakeless' BRDMs

View from T-90s perspective

View of trees blocking the T-90s LOS

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Ultra Carp

dtkozl posted:

Ace if you are going to move in the btrs why not move straight west since that is the quickest path out of los? Why move at an angle and keep them in los even longer?

Momentum. They're already moving straight, and stopping to make a hard left turn is going to keep them in the killzone for longer. Banking them at a softer angle helps retain their speed, and both gets them out of harm's way and closer to the objective quicker.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
They do pause for a beat to process the new orders though because: Combort Missonb

brakeless
Apr 11, 2011

Generation Internet posted:

The T-90 scraping the paint on one of Brakeless' BRDMs

:rice:

Recon's orders are going to be something like this. For the two vehicles still on the road, turn left and pray. The three that got away will dismount according to current orders and take up positions in the woods south of Eagle, with one team sneaking to the edge of the highway and trying to get eyes on some russkies. Sound good?

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum

brakeless posted:

:rice:

Recon's orders are going to be something like this. For the two vehicles still on the road, turn left and pray. The three that got away will dismount according to current orders and take up positions in the woods south of Eagle, with one team sneaking to the edge of the highway and trying to get eyes on some russkies. Sound good?

Ok, good luck.

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug
I am unfortunately unable to open the save game, I get an out of memory error on my older PC.

I can open the blank map though.

If anyone else has the game and can open the save, please let us know.

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

pthighs posted:

If anyone else has the game and can open the save, please let us know.

I do and I can.

Edit. The damned save files are six times the size as the ones from Grey's game.

Chunky Monkey
Jun 12, 2005
Kill the Gnome!

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Also, from the looks of it appears as though Chunky Monkey's tanks are literally within yards of getting LoS on that T-90. If they can draw the T-90's fire or disable it themselves, that'll greatly help in buying time for 1st Company to divert from their current route.

This is what I had in mind, the T-64 clone is probably poo poo and wont see anything but the Abrams can wreck a T-90 easy. Anyone have a good view from ground level there? I'm thinking the Abrams can pull off to the right as soon as it would have LoS on those positions, and the T-64 clone can continue up a ways until it can actually see anything.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Chunky Monkey posted:

This is what I had in mind, the T-64 clone is probably poo poo and wont see anything but the Abrams can wreck a T-90 easy. Anyone have a good view from ground level there? I'm thinking the Abrams can pull off to the right as soon as it would have LoS on those positions, and the T-64 clone can continue up a ways until it can actually see anything.

That's actually my T64. Yours is on the other side of the map.

Ed: or do you mean the Bulat?

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Chunky Monkey posted:

I can't testify to the optics, but the gun is literally the same gun on the T-90 currently pushing 1st Co's poo poo in right now.

It's a loving tank on a side that is otherwise equipped with turreted trucks. Don't sell yourself short.

Chunky Monkey
Jun 12, 2005
Kill the Gnome!

The Oldest Man posted:

That's actually my T64. Yours is on the other side of the map.

Ed: or do you mean the Bulat?

I mean the Bulat. I forgot the name and it's a T-64 clone so I just called it that, sorry for the confusion!

This is what I had in mind, the left most red circle is what I believe to be the Abrams, it should move up to the pink line, should have LoS from there. The other red circle is the Bulat, which should move along the Pink arrow to the tree (the green circle, it's a tree it's just hidden on the screenshot), and setup hull down under the tree if possible.

The other T-64 of mine can keep following Barracuda's orders.

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug
A Company Orders

Since we don't have a direct commander I have taken the liberty of heading up A Company for the moment. Practically speaking,
A Company members can work together to decide what we will do.

As far as I can tell from the video, here are our current positions (M is mortars):

Here is my though on our next steps:
1) Since 1st platoon is out in front, take up positions at BP1 to get eyes across the road
2) 2nd Platoon follows to take positions at BP2 to overwatch Field of Dreams. Note this is in treeline that runs
along the North side of ASR Tinker and is a little hard to see on the map. The position needs to be where
the bracket is - to each side you don't have eyes across due to a rise in the field.
3) 3rd Platoon can then start scouting up into Fist Forest. Other platoons can then adjust as needed. I'll place the mortars
behind the Triangle Forest as well for fire support.

The general intent is to safetly get into Fist Forest and try to establish a defensive position north of ASR Tinker. Our goal is
to keep them far enough from the road to keep it clear for the coming convoy.

Thoughts?

Chunky Monkey
Jun 12, 2005
Kill the Gnome!

Willie Tomg posted:

I can't testify to the optics, but the gun is literally the same gun on the T-90 currently pushing 1st Co's poo poo in right now.

It's a loving tank on a side that is otherwise equipped with turreted trucks. Don't sell yourself short.

True, I probably shouldn't be so quick to judge. I tried looking up the real stats for the vehicle and it looks like the max effective range is 2500m, which is probably about how far away that T-90 is. I had originally thought it was one of the 1980's modernizations of the T-64 but it was actually done in the 2000's so it might turn out decent.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
2/3 will carry on with its current orders.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer
1st Company, 2nd Platoon Orders:

Do as our commander says!

Similarly to 1st Platoon, veer off MSR Trump at an angle, and speed for the road that goes through Half-Moon Copse. From there, drive through Half-Moon and come back through the Circus Gap, before deploying to move up to ASR Tinker.

Junkozeyne
Feb 13, 2012
Orders A Company 2nd Platoon

Try to escape the traffic-nightmare that hounds our dreams and proceed as indicated:

White x should be weapons squad, other three the rifle squads. Try to park the Strykers that they aren't exposed in the middle of the road and have some cover.

Conditional If we have contacts that could threaten the platoon before they reach the goal, revert back to

instead of driving under fire.

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum
I'd like to request some pics of the edge of town/halfmoon copse/bland forest that will highlight the elevation and sightlines going north towards that enemy tank so I can figure out where to put myself and these atgms. Also does anyone know if atgms can fire from inside houses?

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug
A Company 3rd Platoon Orders

Contnue moving fast along the road on the marked path and park 50m or so inside Fist Forest, then dismount.

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

Third verse, same as the first.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
1st Co, 3rd Platoon

welp, if you can't do something smart: do something

All BTRs turn off this death road to sillytown (no hard angles please, we're trucks not tanks, lets not reenact this scene okay thank) and get on the dirt path leading southwest out of town. Go Fast. The path at least is probably less marshy than the fields. It probably doesn't matter. Follow that path then cross the field so we can see who carries God's favor by determining which of you dregs bog in the grass. Stop short of the treeline in that little nook. Your reward for living that long is we get to have a conversation, as a group, what to do then.

Give right of way to the tanks where relevant. I will personally clear them to shoot you if you block their field of fire.

Units are instructed to pray where appropriate, and the new Sleigh Bells track will be put on 343 radio net as we zigzag away from T-90 shells

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PK7jPYn9Egs

ORDERS END

Willie Tomg fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Oct 14, 2016

brakeless
Apr 11, 2011

Recon plt orders

The three teams in front are to follow their current orders to the dismount point, and then proceed at quick speed to the positions shown below.
1st team blue, 2nd red, 3rd purple.

The two vehicles still in the danger zone are to head for the red X shown below as fast as possible, making smooth turns to preserve their speed. If they survive, they'll follow the new route with all speed and dismount according to original orders.

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum
Tank guys Check out this:

The X tanks should halt and face the enemy tank. Maybe give the two in the back a hunt order, but you don't want to be moving when the other tank can see you.

Does this game benefit from turning out the tank commanders or do they get better vision buttoned? If it is the former, turn out the commanders!

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum

Keep all vehicles from my squad and the support company out of los of potential tank fire unless I order otherwise.

My squad: Quick move the HQ apc behind the house marked E. Move my HQ into the house (with a target arc of 100 meters so he doesn't fire into the house marked E. If the apc has a ATGM that has the range and firepower to hurt the tank, peak around the house into los and take a shot. Do the same for the HQ support squad except stop behind A, dismount, quick the support to the house C and the same thing for his apc, just peak it west around the A house.

Support Co

AT-4s Fast their apc behind house B or so, making sure to stay out of los. Dismount. Acquire any ammo they need then quick to positions labeled D with priority to los on junction and enemy. (Try the hedges first) If none of those positions provide los, quick them further north until they get los in that tree line. Do try to avoid the AI making bonehead decisions like walking into the middle of an open field to avoid jumping a wooden fence.

So the line goes through the forest, the pic wasn't big enough so just keep the btrs out of forest unless it's faster. Take a btr of grenade launchers and the btr of recoiless rifles and quick them off road and following that line so they deploy at 1. That should be half moon copse, the northern side. Set them up out of los of the enemy tank but in los of junction. Have the teams roughly 50 meters apart along the tree line., going gl, rr, gl ,rr. Pick whatever route will be quickest to get there roughly along that line and dismount as close to where they are going to set up as is safe.

I think that leaves 2 btrs of grenade launchers? Quick them off the trump and behind bland forest, somewhere near asr spy. Keep them in btrs, I'll have them as mobile reserve for now. Just get them off the road and out of the way (safely) for now.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Orders are final

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

dtkozl posted:

Tank guys Check out this:

The X tanks should halt and face the enemy tank. Maybe give the two in the back a hunt order, but you don't want to be moving when the other tank can see you.

Does this game benefit from turning out the tank commanders or do they get better vision buttoned? If it is the former, turn out the commanders!

GI posted screencaps before that showed all three tanks on the left are screened by trees and need to reposition to have a shot at spotting the T90.

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum

The Oldest Man posted:

GI posted screencaps before that showed all three tanks on the left are screened by trees and need to reposition to have a shot at spotting the T90.

But what if there are more tanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gG9T2G5G4aM

Straight up forgot to save your replay, neither side will be getting them this turn classic CMLP style :rip:

Orders will be due Sunday at 18:00 EST

Two-minute turns continue so plan accordingly.

• Locked thread