Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Tekopo posted:

There's one where a lot of board gamers hang out, I'll provide a link tonight.
https://discord.gg/2VCwb

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...
More updates/crossposts on The Next Project:

P.d0t posted:

Ok, I got 4 of the 5 intended "starter classes" polished up and ready. The Barbarian has changed a fair bit from the previous Beta, but the version shown here is essentially what the class is now, just with only 1 archetype presented; the Acrobat is going to undergo some changes, but that'll mostly be on the skills side of things, and with the other archetype (not presented here.) Cleric is the d8 class that I want in the starter set, but uh... well that class isn't actually written yet. :blush: I'll see if I can bang that out tomorrow; if not, later this week, hopefully.

d4 class: Acrobat (Archer)
d6 class: Rogue (Assassin)
d10 class: Mystic (Warlock)
d12 class: Barbarian (Shieldbearer)

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Evil Mastermind posted:

It's not a Torg adventure.

I'd say it's one that's debateably worse than War's End.

Is it Shadowdale? I was thinking about doing that maybe.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Kwyndig posted:

That's because apparently at least one of the original Japanese creators stonewalls any attempts at English localization, and the way their IP laws work it only takes one to screw a deal.

People who do that sort of thing should be shot with crossbows

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Arivia posted:

Is it Shadowdale? I was thinking about doing that maybe.

Nope. Was that one of the D&D modules that was based on one of the video games?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Evil Mastermind posted:

Watching someone trying to "get" PbtA games and asking things like "wait, I can't start with an established setting att all?" or "but why do I have to follow the Agenda?" is oddly depressing in a way I can't really articulate.

I'm saying this as non-confrontationally as possible, but are you saying I shouldn't try to, for example, take players through A1 Slave Pits of the Undercity using Dungeon World rules?

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

And no one ate dinner that night.

gradenko_2000 posted:

I'm saying this as non-confrontationally as possible, but are you saying I shouldn't try to, for example, take players through A1 Slave Pits of the Undercity using Dungeon World rules?

No, actually. Even though the game encourages collaborative world-building and it's one of its main draws for a lot of people, the game actually states that "Hey, if you the GM have a clear idea for a campaign feel free to pitch that to your players and if they go with it, cool." There's even a bit of advice on converting D&D adventures into Dungeon World, but it's very brief and I've never used it.

I mean, Dungeon World should work just fine with almost any old-school D&D adventure, because old school D&D adventures also support a playstyle of playing to find out what happens. Having said that, the default assumption of the game is collaborative world-building, but I personally don't see this as being at odds with using premade adventures (since a lot of old D&D adventures are so tied to a single location that what lies beyond the tiny focus of the module can easily be pulled from the GM's and players' asses).

E: I mean, it's definitely possible to run Dungeon World as a traditional GM-driven affair where the GM controls all the lore of the setting, but the default plastyle of the game is to give players a bit of a say as to the features of the setting.

Ratpick fucked around with this message at 11:20 on Oct 5, 2016

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Evil Mastermind posted:

My issue isn't that the person in question wants to use a prescribed setting with a PbtA game. What's bugging me is that the person is having trouble wrapping their head around the idea that it's possible to play a game without everything defined up-front.

That's pretty understandable to me at least. most people go in to tabletop rpgs expecting to be dropped into something like a detailed D&D campaign setting. having to fill in the blanks at chargen and later on can feel a bit intimidating when you've never done it before, especially if you're not sure what the limits are on where you can go with the story or what other players will be doing

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Evil Mastermind posted:

Nope. Was that one of the D&D modules that was based on one of the video games?

Nope. First adventure in the Avatar trilogy, aka "TSR Editorial makes your DM read a Forgotten Realms novel to you."

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Arivia posted:

Nope. First adventure in the Avatar trilogy, aka "TSR Editorial makes your DM read a Forgotten Realms novel to you."
Oh man, the Avatar stuff. I'd forgotten all about that.

Remember when we cared why the game mechanics were changing in-setting? :allears:

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Evil Mastermind posted:

Oh man, the Avatar stuff. I'd forgotten all about that.

Remember when we cared why the game mechanics were changing in-setting? :allears:

TBH we've never changed since that was still a big part of the 4e-5e transition for the Realms again.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Oh, right. I forgot about that.

It doesn't make it any less silly.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

gradenko_2000 posted:

That depends. Is it the original tournament module release or the later reissue with the twenty page walk-talk-and-get-captured-by-slave-lords prologue?

Because if it's the latter, your players are likely to jump the poorly-constructed rails when they're still in Ponce-Fotheringay or whatever podunk barony they start in that's one continent removed from the actual dungeon of A1.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

P.d0t posted:

Cleric class draft is up. Wrote this one real quick, so it's a little rough, but I'm happier with it than previous iterations.

e: also, I felt the Rogue was a bit lacking, so I added an ability from one of the other archetypes; that archetype (the Scoundrel) was probably going to get scrapped anyway, so eh.

P.d0t fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Oct 5, 2016

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Anyone have any experience with Victoriana 3e because man I am just marveling at some of the weird choices they have with the process of character creation and just with cohesion with the supplements. So far I've found out that you can just have a Beastfolk dad to be a Beastfolk Hybrid to get a free bonus (at the "cost" of having an animal trait on your body and mild social stigma) and still reap all of the bonuses of your mother's species as if you were 100% Dwarf/Human/etc thanks to weird design choices in a 16 page document.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Huh, this is a little clever. Light-weight softcover at 25 USD. Surprised they didn't do it before.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Covok posted:

Huh, this is a little clever. Light-weight softcover at 25 USD. Surprised they didn't do it before.

I kinda want to get that and the similar version of Bestiary 1 they made, hopefully they'll do the same with the other rulebooks for Pathfinder eventually

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

drrockso20 posted:

I kinda want to get that and the similar version of Bestiary 1 they made, hopefully they'll do the same with the other rulebooks for Pathfinder eventually

Yeah, if they didn't have Mouseguard 2nd Edition, I might have picked it up.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
It's exactly the same text and layout, just shrunk down. Which isn't unreasonable, but hopefully you don't have trouble reading tiny print.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Is there a list of good RPG follows on Twitter? I don't want to use google+ and I'm having trouble finding people outside of big name authors on Twitter.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Covok posted:

well if they did it any sooner it'd look like they were copying 4e!

Covok
May 27, 2013

Nuns with Guns posted:

well if they did it any sooner it'd look like they were copying 4e!

I didn't know 4e did that. I should buy those.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Do we have a TG help thread? Orokos' dice icon images (and ONLY those) aren't showing up on my desktop anymore and I have no idea why. I thought it was some sort of adblock or my NOD32, but I've tested disabling all the various options and they still don't show up. If I paste the direct links, I can look at the images just fine.

:wtc:

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Covok posted:

I didn't know 4e did that. I should buy those.
As far as I know, they only did that for the Essentials line.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Yeah but the Rules Compendium was/is absolutely essential if you want to play.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
Yeah the rules compendium owns. Monster vault's book was also one of the small paperbacks but that came packaged in a little box set. It probably wouldn't be hard to find just the book secondhand now though

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Monster Vault does have the rather serious flaw that it dries up very rapidly once you get into higher paragon and epic levels.

What we really could have used was some insight in the design methods used to build monsters beyond the basic attack/defense/damage math, but having used MV for a long while now, it's kind of becoming painfully obvious that they didn't really have any either.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
the failure to cater to upper-tier adventures was an edition-wide issue with 4e and one of the most disappointing things about it, to me

I agree that some clear rules on how to build every aspect of a monster from the ground up were really needed, too, which makes it especially frustrating that they don't exist since 4e came the closest to that kind of internal consistency.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

You could probably sit down and come up with something, like there's a fairly clear progression in some conditions like slowed > immobilized > restrained or dazed > stunned (> possibly dominated) and the frequency of those should somehow correspond to what tier you're playing in or how powerful the monster is supposed to be

but, y'know

:effort:

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

P.d0t posted:

By popular demand/request, I have written up a short example of play for The Next Project.

If there's anything you guys would like to see added/expanded upon, feel free to comment or make suggestions on the doc or reply here :)

e: also, new blog post, talking about some of the design choices behind the mechanics.

P.d0t fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Oct 12, 2016

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

P.d0t posted:

By popular demand/request, I have written up a short example of play for The Next Project.

If there's anything you guys would like to see added/expanded upon, feel free to comment or make suggestions on the doc or reply here :)

e: also, new blog post, talking about some of the design choices behind the mechanics.

Right now I've been on (another) Cthulhu kick and usually I'm sick to the gills with D&D or fantasy mechanics...but this is interesting. Nothing to suggest at the moment; but keep at your passion.

Speaking of Cthulhu and Cosmic Horror, Dennis Detwiller's latest Patreon post about Hollow Men, failed Yithian possessions now obsessed with a person place or thing due to a copy error, is really quite chilling and a great take on the Great Race.

https://www.patreon.com/posts/hollow-men-6980311

Helical Nightmares fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Oct 12, 2016

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

Helical Nightmares posted:

Right now I've been on (another) Cthulhu kick and usually I'm sick to the gills with D&D or fantasy mechanics...but this is interesting. Nothing to suggest at the moment; but keep at your passion.

Your post makes me go like this: :3:

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

P.d0t posted:

Your post makes me go like this: :3:

Much obliged.

Meanwhile on /tg/

http://suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/archive/49744075/

quote:

Pathography - Forgotten Places, Lost Spaces

>A LIST OF KNOWN SECRET STATES AND SUR-REAL TERRITORIES OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA AND NEIGHBORING LIEUS:
>Absaroka
>Franklin
>Deseret
>Cimmaron
>Norton
>East Dakota
>Delmarva
>Jefferson
>Kanawha
>Cascadia
>Cherokee
>Cahokia
>Aztlan
>New Dixie
>American Siberia
>Aldrin
>Tranquility
>Madawaska
>Muskogee
>Shasta
>Winnecombe

>IF YOU FIND YOURSELF IN ONE OF THESE OR OTHER CARTOGRAPHICALLY FORBIDDEN TERRITORIES, DO NOT PANIC. CAREFULLY ATTEMPT TO RETRACE YOUR ROUTE. IF POSSIBLE, LEAVE IN REVERSE AND DO NOT LOOK BACK. IF YOU ENCOUNTER ANY LOCALS, DO NOT ASK FOR DIRECTIONS. UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES EXAMINE ANY MAPS UNTIL YOU ARE CERTAIN YOU ARE WITHIN CONSENSUS CARTOGRAPHY.

>DO NOT DRIVE ON UNFAMILIAR ROADS AT NIGHT. PAY CAREFUL ATTENTION TO THE ROADWAY AND ENSURE YOU HAVE A FUNCTIONING G.P.S. LOCATOR OR A LOCALLY ACCURATE PHYSICAL MAP ON WHICH YOU PLAN YOUR ROUTE. IF POSSIBLE, TRAVEL WITH SOMEONE LOCAL TO YOUR DESTINATION. IF YOU OR SOMEONE YOU KNOW HAS EXPERIENCED A MISLOCATION, ALOCATION, OR MALLOCATION, PLEASE CONTACT THE DEPARTMENT OF TRANSPORTATION WITH THE DATE, CLOSEST CARTOGRAPHICALLY IDENTIFIABLE ADDRESS OR RELEVANT LANDMARKS, AND ANY ADDITIONAL INFORMATION YOU CAN PROVIDE. THANK YOU. STAY SAFE.

quote:

Ever since cartographers and sailors took it upon themselves to stitch the flat Earth into a finite, bounded globe, there've always been a few loose seams or pinholes or crumpled spots where the excess was pinned away.
Most people never even hear about the maintenance that goes into keeping everyone's local geography lined up, although they do occasionally notice that New Zealand or Sri Lanka or some other place far from their local knowledge doesn't seem to be where they remembered it.
And any misalignments can make it possible for some poor dipshit to wander over a limen and wind up in pathological geography.

The age of adventurers is past; the infinite seas and lost continents and vast unexplored interiors have been steadily papered over with maps as explorers sought to find knowable territory to bridge the gaps between the edges of the known. But, beyond the 200 million square miles that have been more-or-less successfully patched together into a closed spherical manifold embeddable in Euclidean 3-space, it's all still out there; exerting tremendous pressure on the seams of reality where it's been squeezed together into border lines between states, pinched off in the middle of oceans and continents. Maintaining it is what makes reliable trade, travel, and communication possible; and more importantly, it keeps out all the things that motivated the great project in the first place.

Somebody's got to do it - to go in there, to the spaces that aren't supposed to exist, the forgotten and abandoned and unexplored, and rescue the dipshits who've wandered in. To patch up the job, keeping the edges of the world stitched together, to ensure that going from east to west leads to the same place as west to east, reliably. And to ensure that what does leak in through the seams is controlled, that nobody has to worry again about walking into the forest lest the Fair Folk find them.

Somebody's got to make sure the world stays true to the Atlas holding it up.

quote:

The idea is, essentially, that space doesn't exist. Not space as in "the place where the stars are", but space as in "that thing involving distances." There's no actual metric, affine connection, or topology governing the routes between places; there's just places, and the connections between places.

Humans impose order on this, subconsciously, simply from the need to construct a coherent model of the world; this allows them to reliably locate places and travel between them using routes they've used before. Essentially, anywhere a human can actually see must be locally equivalent to flat three-dimensional space, and as they travel through the world they develop a mental map of places and routes between those places that will enable them to go back and locate them again.

When you have lots of people living and communicating together, their maps necessarily have to match up in order to avoid contradictions - if someone's observed going from A to B along route C, then the observer's map must also include route C. This causes larger areas to come out to normal flat space, the horizons lining up together to form a coherent patch of land defined by the understanding of the inhabitants.

Exploring the unknown, beyond the patches you've nailed down, is more or less entirely dependent on the subconscious (or consciously directed, if you're clever) expectations of what sort of things you might find in that "direction". Two people can find entirely different and contradictory things in the same unexplored space, but once somebody comes back and actually writes down a map of what they found and how they found it so it can be shared with other people, then that becomes part of the consensus mental cartography and other people who know about it can find it as well.

The great task of sewing the globe together involved finding these arbitrary patches of coherent land formed by separated populations, and mapping out coherent transitions between them.

The above hit an American Gods/World of Darkness vibe with me. Thought I'd share.

--------

The Six We Obey

http://moonskinned.deviantart.com/art/The-Six-We-Obey-639498508

quote:

The Six We Obey.

Joy, her smile a burning grin. Fatt, an infinite bounty. Muse, the artist of entropy. Mourn, he follows us all. Rain, the lover and the skies. Old Man Yoklee, the death of our minds.

Helical Nightmares fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Oct 13, 2016

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Here I am coming, with the good news of me, and you hate it. You can think only of the bell and how much I have it, and you are never the goose. I will run around with my bell as much as I want and you will make despair.
Buglord
I'm trying to figure out what system I'd use for the Clandestine US Geological Service. Maybe Unknown Armies without the magick? Stock Chronicles of Darkness? probably not Fate.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

inklesspen posted:

I'm trying to figure out what system I'd use for the Clandestine US Geological Service. Maybe Unknown Armies without the magick? Stock Chronicles of Darkness? probably not Fate.

Probably depends on how combat heavy you want the game to be, among other things, I'd probably use Savage Worlds, or maybe BRP, or possibly even Strike if you have things get particularly weird on the players' side of things

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

inklesspen posted:

I'd go with unknown armies, no magick maybe a few sprinklings of artifact like things from the lost spaces

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

And no one ate dinner that night.

Helical Nightmares posted:

Meanwhile on /tg/

http://suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/archive/49744075/

The above hit an American Gods/World of Darkness vibe with me. Thought I'd share.

This is really cool. I'm getting a huge Unknown Armies vibe here: The idea of there being secret states and territories hidden within the United States sounds very much like an Unknown Armies thing, and if you threw in a bit of sovereign citizen nonsense you'd have just the right mixture of supernatural and Americana to hit that Unknown Armies sweet spot.

Also, you could have characters make one-time Madness Tests the first time they consult their map/GPS and realize the place they're in does not and can not exist given the lay of the land and cartography, but again I'd only do it once to shake the players' grasp on reality.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Cross-posting from the old-school D&D thread, I wrote a piece on tracing the history of the Fighter gaining additional attacks against low-level enemies.

occamsnailfile
Nov 4, 2007

zamtrios so lonely
Grimey Drawer

Europe in Autumn by Dave Hutchinson is the first book in a series with some relation to this topic. Also it's a low-key spy story about an ever-growing series of EU splinter states.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."

The only time I've ever clicked a 4chan link and come away feeling better about things than when I clicked it.

• Locked thread