Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Kassad posted:

That all boils down to "civilization" being an extremely vague term, especially as used in these games.

Edit: India is probably the worst offender of all. It was (is) just as diverse and politically fragmented as Europe.

It helps that there's a modern India, but it's a shame because there are a lot of interesting historic empires there.

It's just like how Indonesia represents all the historic kingdoms in modern Indonesia to give a grander frame of reference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
https://www.twitch.tv/firaxisgames

Should be starting in a few minutes.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
So is there two leaders per country? I noticed Greece has both Gorgo and Perciles as leaders.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Rirse posted:

So is there two leaders per country? I noticed Greece has both Gorgo and Perciles as leaders.

Some civs have multiple leaders, some come with only one.
In the base game it looks like it's just Gorgo/Pericles as a double leader, but they'll probably add more as DLC, and it's also there to make modding easier.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Rirse posted:

They're kind of using Greece as a showcase demo for the feature in the base game. From a leaderhead board seen in Firaxis's workplace (from an early video for Civ VI), we've seen Isabella for Spain, and the whole thing proved to be accurate so far, so Leader DLC is anticipated as well.

In the stream, they talked about the modding prospects for leaders, that the framework should allow easy additions.

Ed's playing on Emperor starting from the beginning, though he hasn't encountered barbarians yet. Rome's already got more than one city in the early game, though.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Multiple leaders has been confirmed for a while, but as of right now Greece is the only one confirmed to have two. Based on a leak we suspect that Spain will be the next to get a second leader, but we know that not all civs are necessarily getting a second leader.

E: whoops left this tab open for a bit

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
New city names aren't completely random after the capital; the algorithm has a chance of picking from the next 10 city names on the list. If both Gorgo and Pericles are in a game, they'll go through the Greek list faster.

bisonbison
Jul 18, 2002

I love how boring Ed Beach is. He's so soothing.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Once again the civ team proves that they're not that great at playing their own games

OfChristandMen
Feb 14, 2006

GENERIC CANDY AVATAR #2
Watching him just mess up to the horrid unit Auto-Cycle is probably indicative of that being a setting you can turn off.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Chieftain is the baseline for AI; bonuses begin accruing above that. It looks like there's a straight up combat strength bonus for higher difficulties (+2 on Emperor) which means you won't be winning fair fights.

Multiplayer details are slated for reveal before launch.

https://www.twitch.tv/firaxisgames/v/94712781
Twitch replay of the stream.

And now Youtube.

Hogama fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Oct 13, 2016

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Hogama posted:

Multiplayer details are slated for reveal before launch.

You do kind of expect that yeah

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Gort posted:

You do kind of expect that yeah
And then the press release just reads "Remember Play the World?"

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

Once again the civ team proves that they're not that great at playing their own games

Devs that are 'good at their own games' are an exception. After spending 20 hours(Exaggeration?) in the code guts of the game, the last thing they want to do is touch it again in their off time.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Bloodly posted:

Devs that are 'good at their own games' are an exception. After spending 20 hours(Exaggeration?) in the code guts of the game, the last thing they want to do is touch it again in their off time.

I'm aware, but it's still funny to me to watch the lead designers of civ bungle an invasion.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

Multiple leaders has been confirmed for a while, but as of right now Greece is the only one confirmed to have two. Based on a leak we suspect that Spain will be the next to get a second leader, but we know that not all civs are necessarily getting a second leader.

E: whoops left this tab open for a bit

Makes sense, for some of the more obscure civilizations (like Kongo) it might be harder to find a second leader, or one that can synergize with the civs abilities.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Khisanth Magus posted:

Unfortunately 2k is not letting anyone do any more pre-order discounts. This is why GMG has to do a "Preorder Civ6 and get 20% off one of these other games!" deal.

Are you sure about this? Their website still strongly states you get the 20% discount off the game itself. But I'd hate to order it and then receive an e-mail along the lines of "whoops, have this 20% voucher!"

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Khisanth Magus posted:

Unfortunately 2k is not letting anyone do any more pre-order discounts. This is why GMG has to do a "Preorder Civ6 and get 20% off one of these other games!" deal.

What? GMG has 20% off right now and they just sent me a voucher for another 5% off on top of that.

Darkrenown fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Oct 13, 2016

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Jimmy4400nav posted:

Makes sense, for some of the more obscure civilizations (like Kongo) it might be harder to find a second leader, or one that can synergize with the civs abilities.

I think it's more demand really. Everybody wants to play Catherine the Great or one of the Caesars, but I doubt most fans are going to care much for the distinction of the two Montezumas.

Also, Kongo was maybe not the best example there, since they have a very notable alternative leader choice there. I mean I guess not Kongo proper, but I think it would count for the purposes of Civ. Might also be interesting to have an alternative Kongo that will fight colonial powers instead of demand to be converted.

Jump King fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Oct 13, 2016

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
scythian ares for second scythian leader

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
I stupidly thought the early-Aztec deal would still be available. I'm guessing that door is firmly shut now?

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

I stupidly thought the early-Aztec deal would still be available. I'm guessing that door is firmly shut now?
Why would it be? I thought it applied right up to release. It's still listed on steam.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

Why would it be? I thought it applied right up to release.

Yeah my mistake. I'm sure there was post earlier in the thread about it, which lead me to believe they had shut the door on that offer, but the website still has it: https://civilization.com/buy#civilization-vi/civilization-vi-standard-edition

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I may have preordered the needlessly expensive version of the game, but I'll be the one laughing when the first four DLCs are great :v:

pwnyXpress
Mar 28, 2007
$68.60 for the Deluxe here right now: https://uk.gamesplanet.com/game/sid-meier-s-civilization-vi-digital-deluxe-steam-key--3031-2?ref=itad

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

I think it's more demand really. Everybody wants to play Catherine the Great or one of the Caesars, but I doubt most fans are going to care much for the distinction of the two Montezumas.

Also, Kongo was maybe not the best example there, since they have a very notable alternative leader choice there. I mean I guess not Kongo proper, but I think it would count for the purposes of Civ. Might also be interesting to have an alternative Kongo that will fight colonial powers instead of demand to be converted.

Or even just Lukeni lua Nimi, the first King of Kongo (but it would be nice to see more female rulers)

Reacean
Nov 29, 2004

Darkrenown posted:

What? GMG has 20% off right now and they just sent me a voucher for another 5% off on top of that.

I also only see the 'get 20% off one of these other games once you preorder' on GMG, no discount on Civ6 itself.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

Isn't she already in as a great person? I feel like those great people are probably not going to be the first round of new leaders, unfortunately for my Mongols. :(

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

Isn't she already a great general though?

efb but maybe for an expansion?

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

Huh, that's pretty cool I didn't know about that Queen, that was pretty neat. And yeah they could totally use her for Kongo, true her reign was more in Angola, but that hasn't stopped Firaxis from making small fudges to geography for the sake of having a ruler.

Looking at you Polynesia...

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

The Human Crouton posted:

It's hard to keep playing Civ V once you get good. 4 cities, national college, rationalism EVERY TIME.

Quit playing Chieftain on an archipelago map where you get the only 'big' island.

No, really, most of the fun in the game is doing a little roleplaying. I'm usually a science/culture guy myself, but sometimes you just have to play Attila and be a huge dick and take over the world.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Jimmy4400nav posted:

Huh, that's pretty cool I didn't know about that Queen, that was pretty neat. And yeah they could totally use her for Kongo, true her reign was more in Angola, but that hasn't stopped Firaxis from making small fudges to geography for the sake of having a ruler.

They might as well use Pōtatau Te Wherowhero if they're making another "Polynesian" civ, would be just as historically accurate. :v:

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

The White Dragon posted:

I'm still waiting for the one-time deal contact where Renaissance and earlier leaders flip their poo poo about how the stars are moving and the world is about to end after you research Satellites.

It would be pretty cool if applicable civs had different leaders that swapped out in the different eras, each with their own bonuses and agendas.

Probably would be a nightmare to try to balance, though.

Glidergun
Mar 4, 2007
Abu Bakr as a military-focused leader of Arabia would be cool. Something like "Rightly Guided - When you found a religion, gain one of every land military unit you are able to build, and all units get +X combat strength against cities." Just give him the opportunity to go wreck the gently caress out of someone as soon he gets his Prophet.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Darkrenown posted:

Are you a non-US goon. I forgot that the kibash on preorder discounts was US only.

GirlBones
Jun 10, 2007
I am not very good at the internet
I've had this tune stuck in my head on and off for the last 15 years...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vb-4OOGbtFU&t=96s

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Jimmy4400nav posted:

There is, I think, at least more of a reasonable precedent for taking different yet related kingdoms that ruled over the same land area at different times and lumping them into one (see Indonesia, India, Germany) then just taking a large swath of different cultures that were never contiguous and lumping them into one (see Native America, Polynesia)

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Glidergun posted:

Abu Bakr as a military-focused leader of Arabia would be cool. Something like "Rightly Guided - When you found a religion, gain one of every land military unit you are able to build, and all units get +X combat strength against cities." Just give him the opportunity to go wreck the gently caress out of someone as soon he gets his Prophet.

Now is a bad time to feature anyone named Abu Bakr

pwnyXpress
Mar 28, 2007
$56 for Digital Deluxe, $42 for Standard in the form of Blue Coins here: http://www.gamersgate.com/DD-SID-MEIERS-CIVILIZATION-VI-DELUXE-ROW-GN/sid-meiers-civilization-vi-digital-deluxe

Conversion is 1000 blue coin = $1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FisheyStix
Jul 2, 2008

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

GirlBones posted:

I've had this tune stuck in my head on and off for the last 15 years...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vb-4OOGbtFU&t=96s

You and me both, dude. This brings back memories of my grandfather like nothing else in the universe.