Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

GirlBones posted:

I've had this tune stuck in my head on and off for the last 15 years...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vb-4OOGbtFU&t=96s

I've always found that tune sinister sounding for some reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

pwnyXpress posted:

$56 for Digital Deluxe, $42 for Standard in the form of Blue Coins here: http://www.gamersgate.com/DD-SID-MEIERS-CIVILIZATION-VI-DELUXE-ROW-GN/sid-meiers-civilization-vi-digital-deluxe

Conversion is 1000 blue coin = $1

Is this available to people in North America, or is it another Europe-only thing?

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Jesus, that track... it really sticks with you doesn't it.

Is that tune used in anything else? It sounds way too familiar for something I must have heard most recently over a decade ago.

Overminty
Mar 16, 2010

You may wonder what I am doing while reading your posts..

They reuse it in Civ4, which is why I've had it stuck in my head for the last month or so.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
They weren't there in vanilla Civ IV but they added a bunch of III tracks in the Warlords expansion.

E:

They should bring back the Warlords theme somewhere in VI.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X9PoUBewOAg

Kanfy fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Oct 14, 2016

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Speaking of Civ VI and music...

Industrial American theme.
Medieval French theme.
Modern Japanese theme.
Industrial Aztec(?) theme.
(Uploader thought it was Brazil at first on the last one, but their theme appears to be based on Brejeiro, which this isn't.)

pwnyXpress
Mar 28, 2007

Roland Jones posted:

Is this available to people in North America, or is it another Europe-only thing?

Yeah, I've bought several things from them here in the states.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Hogama posted:

Medieval French theme.
Modern Japanese theme.
(Uploader thought it was Brazil at first on the last one, but their theme appears to be based on Brejeiro, which this isn't.)

Japan just entered the CyberPunk Era

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Azhais posted:

Or even just Lukeni lua Nimi, the first King of Kongo (but it would be nice to see more female rulers)

liluokalani of hawaii springs to mind

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
So far I think I want to play my first game as America just for their music. I've caught myself humming Sogno di Volare quite a few times, I think it's great. The soundtrack to this game is really going to be worthwhile.

The Lord Bude fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Oct 14, 2016

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

https://civilization.com/news/entries#announcing-the-civilization-vi-ai-battle-royale-on-twitch

AI Battle Royale on Wednesday :getin:

Aztecs
Brazil
England
Greece (Gorgo)
Japan
Rome
Russia
Spain

Lord Hypnostache
Nov 6, 2009

OATHBREAKER

Hogama posted:

Medieval French theme.
Modern Japanese theme.

drat these are good. I wasn't going to start with Japan, but listening to that track convinced me otherwise.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Glidergun posted:

Abu Bakr as a military-focused leader of Arabia would be cool. Something like "Rightly Guided - When you found a religion, gain one of every land military unit you are able to build, and all units get +X combat strength against cities." Just give him the opportunity to go wreck the gently caress out of someone as soon he gets his Prophet.

I'm pretty disappointed that they went with Saladin as ruler of the "Arabian Empire" again. "Arabia", in the context the game portrays it, to me seems to imply the Caliphate at its height, the Umayyad and Abbasid empires (I've also found it werid that they've usually went with Mecca or Medina as the capital of said civilization rather than Baghdad or Damascus). Now Saladin doesn't make sense firstly because he was of a Kurdish dynasty which was heavily immersed in and married into the Turkish military aristocracy that ruled much of the Middle East at that point in history. He staffed his administration mostly with Turkish slave soldiers and he delegated rule over Syria to his Kurdish and Turkish dynastic relatives. He did not lead an explicitly "Arabian" empire, nor take any titles that implied rule over such an empire such as Caliph, he was explicitly the Sultan of Egypt.

First of all I'm disappointed with the lack of historical thought this shows and I feel that Harun al-Rashid, Umar, Abu Bakr, Muawiya or even had one of the powerful viziers who pretty much ruled in the latter days of the Abbasid Empire. I stil feel like they could have included Saladin as a leader in the game, but as an alternate Egyptian leader to represent Egypt's medieval and Islamic history in the game for once, have him bring along an appropriate unique unit (such as the Mamluk that Arabia gets at the moment) and a bonus like the one he already has (faith and science) as well as starting with Cairo as capital rather than Alexandria (or Memphis or Thebes or whatever Cleopatra has). Well, that's my thoughts on that.'

Gyra_Solune posted:

Well, it depends on what you mean when you say 'Arabia'. Nowadays we have a clear picture for what that means, namely, of course, Saudi Arabia, but I think when Civ says 'Arabia', it means 'the primary medieval Islamic caliphates that held Mecca'. The half of the Middle East that you wouldn't consider Persia has spent most of its history generally under one rule - first from about the 600s and 700s as the Caliphates claiming succession to Mohammed, then as the Mamluk Sultanate from the 900s to roughly 1300s, and around then under Ottoman rule until modern history. Saladin's Ayyubid dynasty wasn't techncially that long-lived, but the Mamluk state succeeding from it did hold influence and the main centers of Islam remained prosperous throughout the Middle Ages under them. They weren't technically the Caliphate proper, like the Ottomans actually laid claim to - but the Abbasid Caliphate, after getting their poo poo wrecked by the Mongols, basically crashed with the Mamluks for the next few centuries, and they held Mecca during that time, so they basically might as well have actually been the Caliphate.

Really, you'd have Saladin more properly leading the Ayyubids or Mamluks, and go further and say Harun al-Rashid led the Abbasids, and Abu Bakr lead the Rashiduns, but it's not too unreasonable to define him as leading the concept of the Arab-dominated medieval Islamic empire they entitle 'Arabia', since he did, really. I mean I'm more leery of Frederick Barbarossa of Germany, running around with U-Boats. The Holy Roman Empire may have been pretty Germanic but it's such a loving weird and convoluted mess that I think the term 'Germany' doesn't really apply until modern history when the actual, unified Germany we know today happened. Kind of like how Civ won't have Ottoman rulers being the leader of Arabia, they're saying the Ottomans were a different beast altogether. (Similarly, I wouldn't call the Saudis 'Arabia' either in this context, the Saudi Arabia we know so well today is such a radically different thing in every respect except for happening to own Mecca and happening to be Arabic that I'd call Saudi Arabia its own civ.)

Yeah, seems like I'm not the only one thinking about this. I'm fine with the "Arabia" name actually though I think, since they in the past, have decided to go with the "Ottoman" rather than "Turkish" civilization they should try to be a bit more consistent and clear on what it is they are trying to represent. I also generally feel that civilizations with dynastic names feel pretty weird.

As for the Mamluks I feel like they could be incorporated into Egypt just as Saladin (though with the way things are looking its already a bit late for that). They are again explicitly (at least the Mamluk dynasty and such that we often think of) identfied with Egypt and I always feel like civilizations such as Egypt and Persia never really have had their Islamic history represented much at all in the Civilization games, I'd love to see Baibars, Saladin or one of the Fatimid Caliphs (Al-Hakim the mad would be most interesting but also pretty controversial) for Egypt and Shah Abbas, Nizam ul-Mulk or Nader Shah for Persia.

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Oct 14, 2016

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

Saladin is cool and good. When people think about 'Arabia' smashing the poo poo out of infidels and so-called crusaders, the man they turn to is Saladin.

This is about Sikh Arabians, who worship the Goddess of Festivals, launching themselves to Mars... not some lame as gently caress, 'historically accurate' wankfest.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

jfood posted:

Saladin is cool and good. When people think about 'Arabia' smashing the poo poo out of infidels and so-called crusaders, the man they turn to is Saladin.

This is about Sikh Arabians, who worship the Goddess of Festivals, launching themselves to Mars... not some lame as gently caress, 'historically accurate' wankfest.

Yeah not what I was saying.

And if you're going to make that argument why bother have leaders tied to civilizations in the first place at all?

Toga
Oct 13, 2016

IcePhoenix posted:

https://civilization.com/news/entries#announcing-the-civilization-vi-ai-battle-royale-on-twitch

AI Battle Royale on Wednesday :getin:

Aztecs
Brazil
England
Greece (Gorgo)
Japan
Rome
Russia
Spain

I'm definitely looking forward to see if Montezuma pisses every other AI off and declares war on everybody with no army of its own.

I wonder what kind of map will be used though, I'm guessing continents to give England and Spain a chance.

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

Toga posted:

I'm definitely looking forward to see if Montezuma pisses every other AI off and declares war on everybody with no army of its own.

I wonder what kind of map will be used though, I'm guessing continents to give England and Spain a chance.

Continent =/= Landmass in Civ 6

Toga
Oct 13, 2016

Captain Fargle posted:

Oh yeah, man I keep forgetting that somehow.

I'd still like to see some naval game happen, which seems more likely in a continents or an islands map (I don't know if they'll be using other types of maps).

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Toga posted:

Oh yeah, man I keep forgetting that somehow.

I'd still like to see some naval game happen, which seems more likely in a continents or an islands map (I don't know if they'll be using other types of maps).

I don't know how it will be in vanilla, but I do think they are trying to make the seas more important. Brazil, England, Germany, and Norway all have unique sea units; while Spain and Japan both have unique sea abilities. With 1/3rd of the civs having some kind of sea option, I think we will eventually see holding off sailing until the Industrial Era as bad idea.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

They might as well use Pōtatau Te Wherowhero if they're making another "Polynesian" civ, would be just as historically accurate. :v:

Man I'd love to have a Maori civilization.

You're bonus could be that early units don't suffer combat penalties against modernized units and you gain science the longer you remain at war with a technologically advanced civilization.

Your special building could be the Pā, it combines an encampment with an industrial district and is immune to artillery.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Toga posted:

To be fair if the AI continues to only spam warriors, Monty's warriors are the best warriors to have.

Captain Fargle posted:

I still really wouldn't want to play England on a pangea if I had another option, their Civ-UU is a ship and their UI is a harbor which buffs ships.

Magil Zeal fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Oct 14, 2016

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Jimmy4400nav posted:

So I've been brain storming ideas for second rulers for civilizations. I base all this off nothing , but random thoughts in my brain.

Charles V: Germany

Universal Monarch (Charles V): Additional Wildcard policy slot, +7 combat score when defending against attack.
Peace of Augsburg (Charles V): Likes when you share a religion with allied city-states, dislikes spreading opposing religion to city-states.

Charles the Fifth was the ruler of the Holy Roman Empire at its apex. Under his rule, Spain, the Spanish Netherlanders, Burgundy, the HRE and most of Italy fell under his dominion. Regarded by many as the closest Europe came to being ruled by one monarch, Charles lead the Holy Roman Empire to victory through decades of war against France and the Ottoman Empire.

His ability Universal Monarch reflects the military reforms under his rule which modernized the Spanish and HRE Imperial Army through the innovative use of early Pike and Shot formations as well as other government reforms. He gains +1 wildcard slot and gains bonuses to units in defensive wars (a number of wars were wagged to try and dismantle his empire).

His A.I Personality is the Peace of Augsburg, Charles was emperor during the Protestant Reformation and had to fight a number of his vassals who took up the Lutheran cause. His A.I likes when you share the same religion as his allied city-states and dislikes it when you spread an opposing religion to those city states.

Constantine I: Rome

The Great Apostle (Constantine) Holy Sites start with a free building (Usually Shrines)
Edict of Milan (Constantine) Likes civilizations that allow religion to spread naturally, dislikes civilizations that use apostles and inquisitors.

Constantine temporarily arrested the downward slide the Roman empire entered into at the start of his and Diocletian's reign and instituted a number of direly needed reforms to the Imperial administration. More famously though, he ended the persecutions against Christianity and even would go on to embrace the religion and attempt to resolve theological differences emerging in the newly liberated faith.

Constantine's ability The Great Apostle reflects his new religious attitude and the Roman ability to quickly construct around this new identity.

His A.I Personality represents the attempted ecumenical attitude he tried to maintain through his rule. His main goal was to try and prevent religious squabbles from disrupting his empire, so as a result, he enjoys when you let religion lay and do its thing and dislikes it when you try and push a religious agenda.

Stalin: Russia

Five Year Plan (Stalin) Replaces the Industrial District with Industrial Projekt (Grants +1 Production and +1 Science for each resource in city’s border).
The International (Stalin): Likes civilizations that share a government with Russia, dislikes civilizations that do not share Russia’s government.

Stalin was the Secretary General of the Communist Party of the Soviet Union. The de-facto dictator of the Soviet Union, Stalin lead his country for more than thirty years. Under his iron rule, Russia and its territories were forced marched through decades of collectivization and industrialization, and by the end of the Second World War, the Soviet Union was one of two super powers left standing.

Stalin's ability would be the Five Year Plan, it would replace Russia's special building with the Industrial Projeck, which allows for a rapid boost to production and science in the areas controlled by Russia. This would change Russia's aim to more military or scientific victories.

Stalin A.I would be the the International. He would like civs that share his government, and dislike those who do not. I'd either do that or Paranoia and have him randomly pick civs to get along with and those he dislikes.

I'll probably brain storm more, I like fiddling around with ideas for civs.

Nobody ever quoted these which is a shame because I like it when people brainstorm Civ uniques and put some actual thought into them (and don't make them ridiculously powerful). In particular I like that you've looked for a way to implement Stalin that doesn't make communism the required government pick.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

The International sounds more Trotsky than Stalin though

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

Magil Zeal posted:

I still really wouldn't want to play England on a pangea if I had another option, their Civ-UU is a ship and their UI is a harbor which buffs ships.

Victoria also gets the Redcoat UU that has doesn't lose movement when disembarking

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

The International sounds more Trotsky than Stalin though

An alternative Stalin agenda: likes civs that co-operate in joint wars, and loving hates backstabs.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Nobody ever quoted these which is a shame because I like it when people brainstorm Civ uniques and put some actual thought into them (and don't make them ridiculously powerful). In particular I like that you've looked for a way to implement Stalin that doesn't make communism the required government pick.

Charles V is more appropriate for Spain than Germany though. He was Holy Roman Emperor, but he was king of Spain before that and he only actually ruled in Austria for a couple of years before having his brother take over business there.

Vorpal Cat
Mar 19, 2009

Oh god what did I just post?

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

There is, I think, at least more of a reasonable precedent for taking different yet related kingdoms that ruled over the same land area at different times and lumping them into one (see Indonesia, India, Germany) then just taking a large swath of different cultures that were never contiguous and lumping them into one (see Native America, Polynesia)

And yet civ 5 had Alexander's Greece, the Byzantine empire, and the Ottomans as separate civs.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Nader Shah would be an awesome and unexpected choice for Persia.

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011
Holy poo poo that modern japan theme sounds so good.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

turboraton posted:

Holy poo poo that modern japan theme sounds so good.

Agreed. Japan is usually my first country when playing a new Civ game, but that theme really cemented that for 6.

Godmachine
Sep 5, 2004

I am beyond God.
I am Human.
Has there been any discussion on the clearly negative aspects of the game? So far, from the plays I've watched, the only glaring issues are:

- The UI can be cumbersome with numerical values all over
- Accumulation of too many civics/policies too quickly

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Godmachine posted:

Has there been any discussion on the clearly negative aspects of the game? So far, from the plays I've watched, the only glaring issues are:

- The UI can be cumbersome with numerical values all over
- Accumulation of too many civics/policies too quickly

The former doesn't bother me much, I have usually downloaded UI mod enhancements for IV/V anyway, and I haven't noticed the latter. I'd say the main things that concern me are certain facets of AI behavior: that the AI players and city-states seem to keep rather outdated units around rather than upgrading them, when they bother to have a military at all. That and it clearly not evaluating trade deals properly. There's also some games where the AI players seem to have way more apostle units than should be reasonable to expect, which has to be a bug of some kind, I can't imagine they actually have enough faith to purchase all those. Incidentally however, I haven't noticed the blatant tactical mistakes that were common in V to be as prevalent in VI.

They've also kept worryingly silent on the subject of multiplayer, though they promised to address that before launch during yesterday's stream.

Magil Zeal fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Oct 14, 2016

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

From their Facebook Events page. Looks like it's slated to be just a bit over 3 and a half hours long.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

I hope that confirms that this game has an actual functional Spectator mode this time around instead of all the finagling you had to do in Civ 5 just to kinda sorta guess at what the AIs were doing.

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer

Jimmy4400nav posted:

Man I'd love to have a Maori civilization.

You're bonus could be that early units don't suffer combat penalties against modernized units and you gain science the longer you remain at war with a technologically advanced civilization.

Your special building could be the Pā, it combines an encampment with an industrial district and is immune to artillery.

Look up the Polynesia split mod. It splits Polynesia into Hawaii Tonga Easter island and the Maori. The Maori get a pikeman replacement that upgrades to musketmen and the pa fort, an improvement to hills that provides +2 food and +15% production. Cannot be built next to another pa. Also counts as a fort. UA is free units from kills

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
The only thing I didn't like about the Polynesia split mod is that the Heiau is bugged so it can randomly disappear from your list of buildings, causing it to lose its effect but is still flagged as built in the city, plus a whole other host of minor annoyances related to building it :(

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

The White Dragon posted:

The only thing I didn't like about the Polynesia split mod is that the Heiau is bugged so it can randomly disappear from your list of buildings, causing it to lose its effect but is still flagged as built in the city, plus a whole other host of minor annoyances related to building it :(

Civ 5 was so hard to mod for. I'm assuming that building always disappeared after loading a save? I've played so many otherwise fun mods that were ruined by having to be played in one sitting.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
I hope pre-ordering this wasn't a mistake like Beyond Earth was for me.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
My finger keeps hovering over the preorder button, but I'm not even 100% sure my clunker of a computer will run it properly. Hopefully it gets a demo I can test out first.

Tendales fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Oct 15, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
I still think baba yetu should have been one of the great works of music in civ V.

They speak Swahili in Kongo right? They should make it the Kongo theme.