Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

xzzy posted:

Yes you are.

The faster vehicle has nowhere else to go.. their options are to either pass on the shoulder, pass on the right, or jam their car up your stupid rear end fuming at you. Move the gently caress over for a few seconds and let them continue on their way.

The faster vehicle might also take a look at the middle lane and let the other guy pass even slower cars, without suffering a stroke. And thus just let of the gas pedal for a bit. It's not like you can actually go really fast in :911: (at least legally). It's something else when the faster car is going 200 kph more than the slower one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about Derek Carr's stolen MVP awards, those dastardly refs, and, oh yeah, having the absolute worst fucking gimmick in The Football Funhouse.

Deeters posted:

Hurricane Matthew knocked out a few traffic lights in my neighborhood. The law around here is to treat them like stop signs, and boy, not many people know that.

That's the law in most of the USA (if not all), and yes, 99% of drivers don't know that.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
It’s not just that people don’t know that non‐functional signals are supposed to be treated like stop signs.

The whole concept of a stop sign breaks down on multilane roads with any volume of traffic.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

MrLogan posted:

That's the law in most of the USA (if not all), and yes, 99% of drivers don't know that care.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Illinois actually has actual metal stop signs that can be folded in half to conceal them, then opened when the traffic light is out so the intersection can function as a four way stop.

Been here 15 years and never seen them used.. power has never gotten so bad that the lights couldn't at least flash red, which people are pretty good about properly using.

Probably be a disaster if we ever actually needed them because they're typically in really bad shape.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.

xzzy posted:

Illinois actually has actual metal stop signs that can be folded in half to conceal them, then opened when the traffic light is out so the intersection can function as a four way stop.

Been here 15 years and never seen them used.. power has never gotten so bad that the lights couldn't at least flash red, which people are pretty good about properly using.

Probably be a disaster if we ever actually needed them because they're typically in really bad shape.

Sounds like a good use for an electromagnet :science:

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world
In some places, the lights don't even change ;)

Ularg posted:

I had to find a place to post this:

http://i.imgur.com/CRXnuMY.gifv

I can't get over how calming it is.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Platystemon posted:

It’s not just that people don’t know that non‐functional signals are supposed to be treated like stop signs.

The whole concept of a stop sign breaks down on multilane roads with any volume of traffic.

Yeah when a light goes out entirely on some 6-lane road and I'm on a tiny cross-street I can't say I really get upset when every single car doesn't stop and let me out. I just pretend they get a blinking yellow and I've got a blinking red since that's what the light would be doing if it lost communication but still had electricity.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

CharlieWhiskey posted:

In some places, the lights don't even change ;)

That's really cool but man that's a hell of a blow going on. :stare:

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Almost everywhere outside the US/commonwealth, I think, has priority/secondary roads designated at intersections so that there is a clear rule what to do when the light isn't working. While that is hopefully sorted out, you still have the issue where heavy traffic on the main one would mean that nobody else has a chance to get in unless somebody lets them in.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
This is so good:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0tSwJ8zesOM

Killstick
Jan 17, 2010

Devils advocate time, but the camera car could have avoided the outcome if he hadn't sped up to block the BMW. Obviously the BMW is 100% at fault, but the camera car clearly saw him trying to do his idiotic overtake and sped up to block it.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Yes, camera car could have helped to avoid it. But I am so glad he/she didn't.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Killstick posted:

Devils advocate time, but the camera car could have avoided the outcome if he hadn't sped up to block the BMW. Obviously the BMW is 100% at fault, but the camera car clearly saw him trying to do his idiotic overtake and sped up to block it.

The camera car failed to slow for a yellow light and is at fault.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

carry on then posted:

:stare:

The BMW was trying to pass in the middle of an intersection marked with a single lane. There's no way he's not at fault.

Literally everyone runs yellows, it ain't no thing.

I assume the video doesn't show the full interaction though, he definitely took the corner wide to try and cut off the BMW. There was probably some asshattery prior to the clip that we don't get to see.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?

carry on then posted:

Your response is so far off kilter it's not even wrong.

Article 24, Section 1111 posted:

(b) Yellow indications:
1. Traffic, except pedestrians, facing a steady circular yellow signal may enter the intersection; however, said traffic is thereby warned that the related green movement is being terminated or that a red indication will be exhibited immediately thereafter.

2. Traffic, except pedestrians, facing a steady yellow arrow signal may cautiously enter the intersection only to complete the movement indicated by such arrow or make such other movement as is permitted by other indications shown at the same time; however, said traffic is thereby warned that the related green arrow movement is being terminated or that a red indication will be exhibited immediately thereafter.

I hope for the sake of everyone on the road that you do not actually have a driver license, and I hope you do not actually drive.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

iospace posted:

Going back to turn signals.

Saw a pretty new BMW 7-series the other day. You can figure out the rest.

I'm seeing Kia SUVs and minivans with two sets of rear lights. The higher set of lights, near the glass, do nothing. The lower set of lights, near the bumper, are the turn indicators. That's the wrong way to do that, the turn indicator lights should be higher so they are easier to see as I look ahead.

At least make both sets of lights blink.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
I just made this from a car crash compliation video. Its just perfect.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

carry on then posted:

BMW owner spotted.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

xzzy posted:

The BMW was trying to pass in the middle of an intersection marked with a single lane. There's no way he's not at fault.
The BMW very, very clearly attempts to make the light by accelerating out into a right-turn-only lane to pass the camera car, cutting back across as that disappears to be replaced with a hatched area. Definitely the knob here.

The camera car could be trying to cut him off, or could just be trying to scoot up to catch the yellow light, I'm not sure you can say one way or another.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Why does everyone have to pick sides? More than one person can be involved in the events leading up to a crash. Insurance doesn't see it that way, but that's because they have to put their money where their mouth is.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

carry on then posted:

I like it. It's the AI response equivalent of when Norm MacDonald did the roast of Bob Saget and came out with those completely benign jokes and told them with complete sincerity.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

Cage posted:

I just made this from a car crash compliation video. Its just perfect.

I can totally picture someone doing that to a tailgater. *SCREECH* WHAT UP NOW BITCH

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

um excuse me posted:

Why does everyone have to pick sides? More than one person can be involved in the events leading up to a crash. Insurance doesn't see it that way, but that's because they have to put their money where their mouth is.

Welcome to the internet, we don't get too many day one beginners these days.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

um excuse me posted:

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Some of the Sheep
May 25, 2005
POSSIBLY IT WOULD BE SIMPLER IF I ASKED FOR A LIST OF THE HARMLESS CREATURES OF THE AFORESAID CONTINENT?

Killstick posted:

I dunno about 100% tbh. Is there a stand your ground type defense available to the camera car? It's like he saw someone loving up and ensured the situation would escalate to a full on crash. If I were his insurance agent I'd probably cancel his policy on the basis of this video.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Killstick posted:

The camera car shouldn't have slowed down to let that bus in.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
School buses are communism so obviously this was Hillary Clinton's fault.

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

Yeah, it looks like the School bus is taking the corner earlier than the Camera Car. Which does take the corner "by the book". Wether or not that is intentional to leave no room for the BMW is up to speculation. Though most people only rarely check their right side mirror when taking a left turn on a single lane road.
If the BMW driver would have been a smart rear end in a top hat, he'd have overtaken on the left and would have avoided the whole issue.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
Saw some older lady in a Fit almost get crushed by a gravel truck on the highway, today. If the traffic hadn't been slower, the truck wouldn't have been able to stop in time at all. She was in the right-middle lane (of 4) with at least a good dozen or so car lengths in front of her completely empty (probably more) and decided she wanted to get into the left-middle lane which was backed up, so she just STOPPED. The gravel truck basically jammed his brake pedal to the floor and it barely stopped in time. There may have been puffs of white air/smoke (Jake brake? I don't know) coming out but this massive truck stops a foot off her bumper.

As traffic gets going again, she's just stopped there in the middle of the highway, not moving. Another 20 car lengths or so later, she starts to go. Pretty sure she's going to cause an accident by October.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

^ There was an older couple on my way home yesterday at a 4 way stoplight - they were facing north and taking a left, I'm facing south going straight. They get the protected green arrow to go and obviously I still have the red, but old fart driving just...stares at me and waves like he wants me to go until the guy behind him hits the horn. Then he takes the slowest sub-5mph turn I've ever seen, barely clearing the intersection before I get the green to go. I still have no idea what he was expecting :psyduck:

Killstick posted:

Clearly he sped up to beat the yellow light and BMW idiot didn't want to wait, got exactly what was coming to him. No sympathy whatsoever for that jackass and the situation he put himself in.

Here's a handy diagram in case anyone is still too stupid to figure it out, because all the lanes are clearly marked and BMW tried using a right turn lane to cut off camera car:

BOOTY-ADE fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Oct 14, 2016

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

School zone with flashing lights up ahead, moron in front of me drops to 15 mph (posted limit for school zone is 20) about a quarter mile before the zone actually starts. Creeps through zone at 15, exits school zone, and fails to speed up. Approaches a stop sign another quarter mile up the road and rolls through without ever tapping the brakes, and THEN decides to accelerate and disappears into the distance 10-15 mph over the posted limit.

I'm glad you're only concerned with the rules when a double fine is one the line, dipshit.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Tank Boy Ken posted:

Yeah, it looks like the School bus is taking the corner earlier than the Camera Car. Which does take the corner "by the book". Wether or not that is intentional to leave no room for the BMW is up to speculation. Though most people only rarely check their right side mirror when taking a left turn on a single lane road.
If the BMW driver would have been a smart rear end in a top hat, he'd have overtaken on the left and would have avoided the whole issue.

From the comments on the Reddit thread, there used to be a right lane there and they recently closed the lane and put in a bike path, that's why there are cones and a barrier there. It's likely the BMW thought the lane was still there and wasn't trying to pass the car so much as to change lanes (that don't exist any more) and had to jerk back in again.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I dunno, him losing his poo poo and honking and driving like a dicklord before the accident and yelling poo poo after it makes me pretty sure he was being a douche the whole time and is at fault.

Also, I saw someone driving like such a psycho on i90 eastbound today that I actually called it into the state police. That's a pretty goddamn high bar to reach. Sadly, didn't see him pulled over afterward. :sigh:

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
I find it hard to believe there wasn't signage to indicate those changes to alert people like him.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The giant hash marks on the pavement which are the universal sign for "don't drive here" should have been a clue that he was doing something wrong.

Murphys Law
Nov 1, 2005
I hate road rage as much as the next guy but I'll be damned if some people aren't just asking for somebody to reach in their window and smash their face against the steering wheel to wake them up.

Leaving work today I reach the point at the top of a hill where the road becomes two lanes, one that will go straight, and one that will go to the exit for the highway. About 2/3 of the way down there is a business park on the right.
As I'm approaching in the right lane I see a woman in a jeep pulling up to the street. At first I don't think she's going to stop (cutting people off is this area's second favorite thing to do after driving below the speed limit), but she actually does stop.

It's a trap!

Once I've cut my already shrinking distance from her in half she starts to pull out. gently caress the car bearing down on her.

I start braking and move into the left lane to pass her. But she's not turning into the right lane, she's turning into the left lane. I veer back into the right lane.

It's another trap!

When I'm halfway past her I realize she's continuing the arc of her turn back into the right lane. gently caress! I brake and veer to the right and lean on the horn and hear a brief scraping sound from the front passenger side of my car (which I got three months ago). Great, just got curb rash on my front wheel. She veers back into the left lane and comes to a complete stop, blocking another car.

I'm pissed, and in that brief moment I decide it's probably not worth the trouble of trying to get her to pull over and convince her she's responsible to a little cosmetic damage to my wheel. God knows I caused a little curb rash on my old car a couple of times just parallel parking.

So I make my right turn, she turns right behind me and moves into the left lane because she's not going the same way on the highway. I'm stopped at the light before the ramp and her lane is a little shorter so she slowly passes me. One hand on the wheel, the other in her lap, presumably holding her phone. Not even a glance in my direction to say "sorry" or "gently caress you" or whatever.

I get home and there's surprisingly little curb rash on the wheel, but new light scratches on the bottom of my front fender, thankfully in an inconspicuous spot. I think I can fix it well enough with touch-up paint but god damnit gently caress that loving bitch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I guess you could say that interaction was a case of... Murphy's Law