Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

coyo7e posted:

Mathew Woodring Stover's SFF novel, "Heroes Die."

Thanks for mentioning this, it sounds cool and now I am going to be on the lookout for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

VendaGoat posted:

If you skipped the previews well....

I'll never understand why someone would watch a preview

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
I'll never understand why some people react so poorly to "spoilers."

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

Maybe they just don't like Alex Kingston

Skizzzer
Sep 27, 2011

coyo7e posted:

-While it's not quite the same thing, it's similar enough to Westworld's themes that someone may be interested, so I'd like to recommend Mathew Woodring Stover's SFF novel, "Heroes Die." It's about a society where specially combat and magically-trained "actors" are teleported to an alternate world where it's all swords and sorcery. The actors' job is to live in the world and spin together adventures and escapades etc, while a brain link records the sights and sounds and nerve impulses they experience so home audiences can rent and experience the adventures in VR. Except things are a lot darker than that, and things are going wrong, and the protagonist is the world's most grimdark dual-knife-wielding badass who's going to tear it all down.

The characters from the swords and sorcery world don't take kindly to being used as playthings for the entertainment of anybody, and have legends that speak of demons called "aktirs" which have been known to cause great and terrible disasters.

The series gets better as it progresses, too.

I remember reading this when I was a kid! In fact, I think it's still in my parents' garage somewhere. I also remember having to hide the cover, cause I think (if it's the right book) it had some terrible 90s generic fantasy art.

It's what the developers intended :v:

:hfive:

Crash74
May 11, 2009

DoctorGonzo posted:

In a thread of bisexuals and magic bullets sperging i thank you for this cool post. Ancient weapons are interesting!

you can tell its getting toward the end of the week.

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

It's almost like not knowing what is going to happen makes things more suspenseful and interesting

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Chile did WestWorld in the seventies. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=okpFol92-j0

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

The Duggler posted:

It's almost like not knowing what is going to happen makes things more suspenseful and interesting

Still nothing to get upset over.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Drop Out posted:

Could be coincidence, sure. But the way the camera pans to show that bend in the river after Kissy is shaking his head? Seems deliberate. Subtle details that keep the guests coming back.

Kissy's reaction to seeing where he was does not necessarily mean that he knew that the Arroyo(sp?) River was important or relevant to what the Man in Black wanted. It's possible that he did! The little girl telling the MiB about the next piece of the puzzle seemed like more of an unlocked automated response rather than anything she was doing consciously. It could be that when you set Kissy up in THAT situation, draining a certain amount of blood from him on this bluff overlooking the bend in the river, that you unlock the same sort of response. The fact that MiB tells Lawrence that Kissy sent him his way points to that being the case. So maybe the dread on his face is from some unconscious knowledge that because of some lines of code buried deep in his programming, he's gonna to have no control over himself as he tells this dude to scalp him and then go seek out Lawrence.

But the counterpoint to that is that these robots are programmed to react realistically to their circumstances. They're programmed to feel, or in the eyes of the guests "mimic," dread and suffering and surrender. So when he becomes aware of his surroundings and realizes that there's no chance for him to try and clumsily sprint away towards town on 3L of blood, he kind of knows his fate regardless of any of that deeper level programming and reacts realistically to that. He knows that he's totally at this psychopath's mercy, and reacts accordingly. Lawrence's daughter is horrified before she gives away her information too, but again, it makes sense for her to be horrified while her entire family is being threatened and slaughtered. Neither she nor Kissy need to have that unconscious knowledge of the deeper game for their reactions to make sense.

What I'm getting at isn't whether or not the location in that scene is intentional. The fact that the river has already been mentioned as part of MiB's plot leads me to believe it's absolutely intentional. I'm questioning how aware Kissy is of this deeper game, and of his own "secret" knowledge.

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

Am I being trolled right now?

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

Hmm yeah also no reason not to respect people's wishes to not have things spoiled for them.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
We dont' know that Kissy told him about the scalp maze either. Could be MiB got impatient and started cutting him up, and found it. We don't know how MiB got started down this path at all. Some initial clue he found somewhere. No doubt we'll find out more about him and the whole puzzle as the show goes.

I think that was just him realizing he was so up high that he couldn't escape, as he'd been delirious from blood loss and not really paid attention to where they were up till that ponit. But this is a JJ Abrams show, so stuff like that glance is fun to speculate about.

For anybody who followed the :lost: ride from start to finish though, you know not every thread is gonna lead somewhere.

Abner Assington
Mar 13, 2005

For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry god. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now, at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon.

Amen.
I'm getting some The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly vibes from MiB and Teddy palling around in army uniforms a la Blondie and Tuco.

(Unsure if that should be in tags or not since it hasn't aired and was only in a preview.)

Max
Nov 30, 2002

I'm waiting for the moment that someone finally takes up the big guy's threat in front of the train and shoots him.

R-Type
Oct 10, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Zaphod42 posted:

But this is a JJ Abrams show, so stuff like that glance is fun to speculate about.

For anybody who followed the :lost: ride from start to finish though, you know not every thread is gonna lead somewhere.

JJ "Bumhand" Abrams affiliation is the singular concern I have with this show. I know he's mostly a concept guy and a mangler of preexisting IP, but I hate what Lost evolved to and he was affixed to that empty hole of a series.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

R-Type posted:

JJ "Bumhand" Abrams affiliation is the singular concern I have with this show. I know he's mostly a concept guy and a mangler of preexisting IP, but I hate what Lost evolved to and he was affixed to that empty hole of a series.

He's not the show-runner, he's just a name on the credits. Jonathan Nolan is the show-runner and he didn't pull any Lost bullshit on Person of Interest, which also had Abrams name on it, so I doubt he's going to here.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

We dont' know that Kissy told him about the scalp maze either. Could be MiB got impatient and started cutting him up, and found it. We don't know how MiB got started down this path at all. Some initial clue he found somewhere. No doubt we'll find out more about him and the whole puzzle as the show goes.

I think that was just him realizing he was so up high that he couldn't escape, as he'd been delirious from blood loss and not really paid attention to where they were up till that ponit. But this is a JJ Abrams show, so stuff like that glance is fun to speculate about.

Right, and I don't mean to poo poo on anyone's theorycrafting because that's half the fun in a show like this: wondering what comes next, which pieces of information fit into the bigger picture. Just pointing out a different take on that moment.

As far as speculation about where MiB got the initial clue, I think that his interaction with Dolores on the first night could be part of that. He's been coming there for 30 years and he knows she's been there the whole time. She's one of the "starting area" hosts, so I think it would make sense for this long, hidden quest chain to start there and slowly push further outwards. And he's seeking her out specifically to make her suffer as much as possible, just like the other hosts he gained secret info from. But I've also seen people say that they read that scene as MiB enjoying his first night in the park to the fullest before he gets started on his big mission, pointing to the scene the next day in town where he interacts with Dolores as evidence of that. I lean towards the former, but it could go either way.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Abrams also didn't really have much to do with Lost beyond the first few episodes.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

R-Type posted:

Lost's biggest problem was they kept wanting to do magical-realism poo poo but kept saying "its not magic" and wrote themselves into a corner.

By using Chrichton's story as a setting and jumping off point, with futuristic sci-fi technology, they're not even trying to avoid magic, they're using science as magic, and so should be able to avoid doing that.

And yeah, JJ isn't even the lead.

whalestory
Feb 9, 2004

hey ya'll!

Pillbug

I'll never understand why you wouldn't nonchalantly mow down non-enemy NPCs in a video game :smug:

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

The Duggler posted:

It's about the journey, not the destination.

whalestory
Feb 9, 2004

hey ya'll!

Pillbug

VendaGoat posted:

Part of the journey is the suspense

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Cross posting from the old school FPS thread because this is rad as gently caress

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Zaphod42 posted:

It would make sense that the initial clue was from the flashback the madam was having. They've made reference to past story lines where Indians went on the warpath, and the flashbacks showed them scalping people. The MiB appears to have been involved, I'm betting on the side of scalping people and he may very well have noticed the design on someone's skull that way.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

whalestory posted:

Part of the journey is the suspense

None of which is diminished and in some cases intensified by a glimpse of what may come.

Plot twists can be a hell of a thing and nothing is permanent until it happens.

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

VendaGoat posted:

None of which is diminished and in some cases intensified by a glimpse of what may come.

You understand that not everybody agrees with this right?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

seaborgium posted:

It would make sense that the initial clue was from the flashback the madam was having. They've made reference to past story lines where Indians went on the warpath, and the flashbacks showed them scalping people. The MiB appears to have been involved, I'm betting on the side of scalping people and he may very well have noticed the design on someone's skull that way.

That's a good theory!

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

The Duggler posted:

You understand that not everybody agrees with this right?

We're just having a discussion and stating opinions, right?

whalestory
Feb 9, 2004

hey ya'll!

Pillbug

VendaGoat posted:

The experience is diminished for me a lot of times! Experiencing something unspoiled isn't really an experience you can get back

I feel like a lot of people read about that study that had people who were given spoilers gave a very slightly higher enjoyment rating and thinking that that means there's a hard fast rule that spoilers = more enjoyment. There's a difference between someone yelling some spoiler out at you while you're waiting in line to buy a harry potter book or whatever, and reading an opening paragraph before a short story that spoils some story elements. Those test subjects aren't exactly working themselves up to reading some short stories that a couple of psychologists selected for their study.

And what if you like watching it unspoiled and then rewatch it again later? I do that all the time and that's my preferred way of watching. Though not everyone does it this way or they don't have the time to :)

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

WarLocke posted:

When Anthony Hopkins (Ford?) was taking that walk and ran into the kid who turned out to be a Host, did anyone else get the impression that he was supposed to be a recreation of Ford as a kid? "My father always said only boring people become bored" is an awfully specific saying for the kid to also have heard. It seemed obvious to me, but then I started second-guessing myself as to whether they'd be that obvious about it.

That line has been uttered by literally every dad in history.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Enough arguing about spoilers being bad or not.

Its against the sub rules. Period. If you think that's dumb, go argue with a mod and enjoy your probation.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard looking at you here.

Tagging spoilers isn't hard.

Da Rules posted:

SPOILER RULES: Are you talking about something that's already aired in an episode on the East Coast? Then you don't need spoiler tags. Are you talking about something that you only saw in a preview, or a commercial, or or due to a leaked ANYTHING? Then you need spoiler tags.

Mukulu
Jul 14, 2006

Stop. Drop. Shut 'em down open up shop.

withak posted:

That line has been uttered by literally every dad in history.

Exactly. That's why I think the kid was just a robopal to get along with and not kidbot version of himself.

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

Mostly the way that the story is written by the actual author is always going to be better than someone just going "so this thing happens later". So I'd like to experience the plot the first way.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

whalestory posted:

The experience is diminished for me a lot of times! Experiencing something unspoiled isn't really an experience you can get back

I feel like a lot of people read about that study that had people who were given spoilers gave a very slightly higher enjoyment rating and thinking that that means there's a hard fast rule that spoilers = more enjoyment. There's a difference between someone yelling some spoiler out at you while you're waiting in line to buy a harry potter book or whatever, and reading an opening paragraph before a short story that spoils some story elements. Those test subjects aren't exactly working themselves up to reading some short stories that a couple of psychologists selected for their study.

And what if you like watching it unspoiled and then rewatch it again later? I do that all the time and that's my preferred way of watching. Though not everyone does it this way or they don't have the time to :)

A good post. I like everything in it.

Anticipation can also be fun as well. It's personal taste. Which is another of the themes of this show. :v:

I'll say this though. As much thought as it seems as has been put into this show, I trust the people making the previews, to not give away anything and simply tease you along to want more.

whalestory
Feb 9, 2004

hey ya'll!

Pillbug
They should do mad men-style previews :twisted:

but yeah we're not arguing arguing so cool it zaphod!!! (at least i hope i'm not)

It did lead me to to this other study that's behind a paywall but the abstract is interesting: http://psycnet.apa.org/psycinfo/2015-10440-001/

quote:

An experiment (N = 368) tested these hypotheses and found that those low on need for cognition held a selective preference for spoiled stories, whereas individuals with a high need for affect enjoyed unspoiled stories more. In addition, fiction reading frequency was positively related to the enjoyment of unspoiled stories.

Well enough about spoilers from me! Back to westworld

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

VendaGoat posted:

And no, suspense isn't a necessary part of the journey for me.

Escape Addict
Jan 25, 2012

YOSPOS
Saw this image today and it really reminded me of this show, since he shares the same name as Teddy:

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Escape Addict posted:

Saw this image today and it really reminded me of this show, since he shares the same name as Teddy:

Winning doesn't mean anything unless someone else loses, Ruxpin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Jack Gladney posted:

Ford was smiling all through his conversation with the dad quoting aggressive Shakespeare, maybe because he realized that the guy was selectively repeating those phrases in a way that communicated a new idea or intention. None of those lines alone has anything to do with his situation, but strung together they become a judgment and a threat.

That's exactly how I took it. Using old memories to construct new meaning threats

Escape Addict posted:

Updating OP!

• Locked thread