Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

YggiDee posted:

I don't usually get any surveys that precise, but I'm in Canada and usually have data disabled. Mostly Google hasn't seemed to figure out that I work retail yet, the questions are all things like 'Hey Yggi what vacation planning website do you like best' 'which car manufacturers make you feel emotionally secure' 'how much more will you pay for beef if you know it's locally grown'.

Google I live in a townhouse.
That would be nice, I only get the location prompts or questions about extremely niche hobbies I've never even thought about before

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Skarsnik posted:

It really really wont believe me when I tell it I haven't invested in the international copper market either

Maybe you should.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

B-Nasty posted:

With the amount of information Google has along with accurate GPS and/or indoor positioning, I won't be the least bit surprised when it starts prompting you real-time about events in the particular movie you're watching:

What did you think about the preview you just watched for "Rings"
A) Scary
B) Lame
C) Cool

When that guy jumped out of the basement, were you scared?
A) Yes
B) No

Would you say the current stripper Chantella Amber at <insert strip club here> is
A) Rockin it
B) Bored and disinterested
C) Saggy and sad

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
My phone has started popping up a notification to turn on the option to unlock the phone with my voice. I don't want to turn that on. Can I stop the notification?

Nexus 5x.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Filled out my first survey thinger because I read you guys talking about it. 3 questions about my music tastes for $1 CAD? Are they always $1?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

No. Most of mine are $0.10-$0.30 USD.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

They're definitely not always $1 CAD, most of mine average 50 cents Canadian.

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

better to die an evil wizard,
than to live as a grand one.
Pillbug

Scaramouche posted:

Filled out my first survey thinger because I read you guys talking about it. 3 questions about my music tastes for $1 CAD? Are they always $1?

The best-paying ones are also longer surveys, I think they go up to $3+ for some where you respond to a specific video, but it's usually under $2 for the brand-awareness and personal history type surveys. The worst ones are as low as $0.11 for "Did you stop by this store recently? / Was it nice?"

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Just don't try and bullshit it, you'll get the odd question with fake brand names etc to check you're not just answering how you think it wants you to

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?
I haven't gotten any surveys in nearly 2 months. I guess they got tired of me choosing "None of the above" in the survey asking me which stores I've been to lately. The list always had stores next to the ones I visited, but never the ones I actually go to. :shrug:

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

I tend to get the surveys in streaks. I'll get one or two a day for a week or two, then nothing for three or four months. Rinse and repeat.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Hungry Computer posted:

I haven't gotten any surveys in nearly 2 months. I guess they got tired of me choosing "None of the above" in the survey asking me which stores I've been to lately. The list always had stores next to the ones I visited, but never the ones I actually go to. :shrug:

I'd say 90% of my surveys are me saying I haven't been to the shop I walked past

Unless you are flat out lying about stuff and get caught on one of the test questions I don't think there is much rhyme or reason to the frequency

I went a month getting an identical question about recruitment software every 3/4 days. Gave same answer each time

also its still convinced I'm doing super marathons every few weeks

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I just got asked yesterday if I've been parachuting or paragliding in the past 4 weeks. No idea what prompted that and even the question itself is odd because they are pretty different sports even if they do both involve the prefix 'para.'

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

Hungry Computer posted:

I've not gotten any since April. It annoys me more than it should. I was getting over every week or two. I check it every few weeks and sigh.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

deong posted:

I've not gotten any since April. It annoys me more than it should. I was getting over every week or two. I check it every few weeks and sigh.

It really likes it when I go to the university here for a rehearsal. We don't meet in the summer, and my surveys drop off significantly during that time. I guess it's looking for certain locations.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

bull3964 posted:

I just got asked yesterday if I've been parachuting or paragliding in the past 4 weeks. No idea what prompted that and even the question itself is odd because they are pretty different sports even if they do both involve the prefix 'para.'

What about the paralympics? Are you a paralegal? Are you a parakeet?

apropos man
Sep 5, 2016

You get a hundred and forty one thousand years and you're out in eight!
Guys, what the gently caress is this on my screen when I play a tune with Power Amp:

It's been there since I flashed the custom 'Dirty Unicorns ROM'.

It's really distracting. A perfect example of bling over useability. I've tried the dirty unicorns system tweaks, power amp settings, Google searches for 'poweramp volume bars', 'poweramp graphic equaliser home screen', dirty unicorns volume bars', 'dirty unicorns graphic equaliser home screen' and about ten other variations.

It's late and really annoying me. Why the gently caress do perfectly capable developers think putting stuff like this as default is a good idea? I tried a couple of different music players and it only seems to happen in power amp, which I paid for and is my preferred player.

Am I gonna have to wipe and flash a different rom?

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
Your first problem is a ROM calling itself Dirty Unicorn.

apropos man
Sep 5, 2016

Should've went for the murky horse fork.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

apropos man posted:

Guys, what the gently caress is this on my screen when I play a tune with Power Amp:

It's been there since I flashed the custom 'Dirty Unicorns ROM'.

It's really distracting. A perfect example of bling over useability. I've tried the dirty unicorns system tweaks, power amp settings, Google searches for 'poweramp volume bars', 'poweramp graphic equaliser home screen', dirty unicorns volume bars', 'dirty unicorns graphic equaliser home screen' and about ten other variations.

It's late and really annoying me. Why the gently caress do perfectly capable developers think putting stuff like this as default is a good idea? I tried a couple of different music players and it only seems to happen in power amp, which I paid for and is my preferred player.

Am I gonna have to wipe and flash a different rom?

It only took me a minute of Googling to determine that it's called "Pulse". Does that help?

apropos man
Sep 5, 2016

Yep. I didn't know what term it was for the bottom bar, or 'navbar'. Thanks!

Edit: Found the setting in Dirty Tweaks - > 'navigation' and it's now off.

apropos man fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Oct 15, 2016

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum

apropos man posted:

Dirty Tweaks

Roid666
Jul 18, 2010
Sign me up for some dirty tweaks!

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Roid666 posted:

Sign me up for some dirty tweaks!

My hiking gaiters are called Dirty Girl

Aaronicon
Oct 2, 2010

A BLOO BLOO ANYONE I DISAGREE WITH IS A "BAD PERSON" WHO DESERVES TO DIE PLEEEASE DONT FALL ALL OVER YOURSELF WHITEWASHING THEM A BLOO BLOO
When I first went to flash this phone with Cyanogenmod, there were a fuckton of stupid variant ROMs like that. Not a single one bothered to tell me why and how they were different in any meaningful way beyond 'has tweaks'. So far stock Cyanogenmod and stock gapps haven't let me down.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

apropos man posted:

Dirty Tweaks

Done dirt cheap!

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
Obviously the problem is that you chose Dirty Unicorns over Magnus Ragnarok.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum
How many dirty tweaks u got, iPhone? None?!

rocket_Magnet
Apr 5, 2005

:unsmith:
Strange request but I'm after an app that I can set a time and date and then ask what will the time/date be in X hours or X minutes. It's silly but I do a lot of this in work with regards to expiry dates and when at a desk we have a little excel sheet setup for it but I could really do with something similar on my phone. Trying to do time jumps like 0327 14/10/16 +1664.5 hours drives me up the wall especially when it's 0327. I'm struggling to think how to phrase the search term in Google play without it just giving me a million clock apps.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

rocket_Magnet posted:

Strange request but I'm after an app that I can set a time and date and then ask what will the time/date be in X hours or X minutes. It's silly but I do a lot of this in work with regards to expiry dates and when at a desk we have a little excel sheet setup for it but I could really do with something similar on my phone. Trying to do time jumps like 0327 14/10/16 +1664.5 hours drives me up the wall especially when it's 0327. I'm struggling to think how to phrase the search term in Google play without it just giving me a million clock apps.

Looks like Wolfman Alpha can do this.

sass menagerie
Nov 29, 2008

Dear Diary, I'm sorry for all those hateful, racist things I said about you.
Wolfram Alpha is pretty much always the answer. Its step-by-step derivatives basically taught me differential calculus since my professor was completely unintelligible.

rocket_Magnet
Apr 5, 2005

:unsmith:

Uthor posted:

Looks like Wolfman Alpha can do this.

Excellent I'll give that a try thanks.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Are there any apps that integrate with calendar/Google maps that let you set something like an ”arrive by” time for certain events/calendars?

For instance, I have a calendar for hockey games on Google calendar that I import from the league website whenever it updates.

With calendar/maps it'll tell me that I have to leave in x minutes to arrive on time. That isn't all that helpful because I need to get there x minutes before the game to have time to get my gear on.

I guess I could set a notification for that calendar that goes off an hour before the event: but some rinks take more time to get to than others.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
nm

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Does the google keyboard seem...worse w/r/t swiping words lately to anyone else? It feels like it's been on a downwards trend for a while now, where every few words I swipe I have to stop and correct it because it thinks I swiped something completely different.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

I wouldn't say every few words but it def seems worse lately, choosing words I've never used before in lieu of those I use regularly with the same swipe action as before

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
I finally joined the modern era and got a Nexus 6p. What is the best browser or combination for an ad-free browsing experience?

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Speaking of the keyboard, can I reject a bolded correction when I see it coming without having to hit space and then backspace to change it back?

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Wrist Watch posted:

Does the google keyboard seem...worse w/r/t swiping words lately to anyone else? It feels like it's been on a downwards trend for a while now, where every few words I swipe I have to stop and correct it because it thinks I swiped something completely different.

I've noticed the same thing. I switched to it not long ago over Swiftkey for the swiping, and how I'm pretty sure it's even worse than Swiftkey.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

Hughmoris posted:

I finally joined the modern era and got a Nexus 6p. What is the best browser or combination for an ad-free browsing experience?

Your only good option is Firefox mobile with the uBlock plugin.