Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which country won WW1?
The United States
USA
America
View Results

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Conquest is fine, it's been like this since BF1942, who gives a gently caress.

Also, I'd like Operations more if the UI to actually join a match wasn't so incredibly lovely and counter-intuitive.
As it is it's going to be just another dead game mode pretty drat fast if they don't streamline it and also actually incorporate it into the server browser.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Deakul posted:

As it is it's going to be just another dead game mode pretty drat fast if they don't streamline it and also actually incorporate it into the server browser.

That's my fear too. "Oh, we'll fix it after we go live" isn't going to matter when 40% of your player base has already started playing Conquest as their default game mode before the game even drops.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

Plan Z posted:

Apparently they're just running Fair Fight on its own.

What happened to punkbuster? If they're seriously going with fairfight only for this release it's going to be a disaster of medkits killing the entire server instantly proportions

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

Bohemian Nights posted:

What happened to punkbuster? If they're seriously going with fairfight only for this release it's going to be a disaster of medkits killing the entire server instantly proportions

Fairfight's better at detecting that poo poo than PB.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Wrapped up my 10 hours today. Got to rank 18, support rank 7 or 8, medic 1. Even though I played support the most, I think I prefer the medic's semi-auto rifles. Thank god they revised the revive mechanic--it's now much easier to see who needs a revive and how long you have to get to them.

Support stuff: mortar is cool but the HE one doesn't seem worth it given its much smaller blast radius. I kept the limpet charge on my CQB loadout, but I hardly ever found a good reason to use it. I'm generally swapping between the trench BAR and the suppressive MG15 depending on the range I'm expecting to fight at, though the problem with providing suppressing fire is always that there's another sniper who will pick you off, or the guy you're shooting at will snipe right through your suppression. Meh.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.
Also, shotguns are pretty fun. Even the default one will one shot out to a decent range and its so very satisfying. Plus it means you are playing Assault, aka the best class, aka you better play assault if you don't want your team to get rolled by that one guy in his light tank.

DeliciousPatriotism
May 26, 2008

Plan Z posted:

Yeah, hacking's getting big. Apparently they're just running Fair Fight on its own. I guess they never heard of R6: Siege or The Division.

I haven't seen any fairfight bans since things started and last night I ran into so many clear and obvious hackers (not a common thing for me) that I up and turned the game off for the entire night after 15 minutes.

Kept running into the same guy in the same lane who always seemed to know exactly where I was hiding and would bullseye me with every shot. I was unreal, I went like 9 -21 because I kept running into this rear end in a top hat.

404notfound posted:

Support stuff: mortar is cool but the HE one doesn't seem worth it given its much smaller blast radius.

I think that variant exists as an anti-vehicle option, much like the HE rifle grenade.

MadBimber
Dec 31, 2006

cheese posted:

Also, shotguns are pretty fun.

True fact, I've been having a great time with the Auto 5. Once you get the extended mag one, oh man. Squad wipes all over.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Once you get the mortar out, can you put it away, or am I just retarded?

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

DoctorStrangelove posted:

Fairfight's better at detecting that poo poo than PB.

It's not good on its own, though.

EDIT: Like the fifth blowout game I've seen on Suez because of base-camping. Conquest is definitely hosed for that map.

Plan Z fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Oct 15, 2016

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

MrYenko posted:

Once you get the mortar out, can you put it away, or am I just retarded?

I don't think so, I think you just have to reload a new one.

Oh! One more thing I learned about support: grenade reload is no longer instant, but you don't have to sit and wait on top of an ammo bag either. Once you pick it up, you'll get your grenades back in a few seconds. For a while I was finding a corner where I could sit on top of my ammo until I got my grenades back, but it's totally unnecessary.

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

Is there any downside to buying this from Green Man Gaming, do I get the pre-order stuff if I get it from there?

TwatHammer
Sep 29, 2014

On the plus side, The EA access trial counts as the preload so i don't have to redownload this fucker again.

Also, as a support what guns should i be b-lining for granting that the starter gun isnt complete dogshit like the medics.

DeliciousPatriotism
May 26, 2008

TwatHammer posted:

On the plus side, The EA access trial counts as the preload so i don't have to redownload this fucker again.

Also, as a support what guns should i be b-lining for granting that the starter gun isnt complete dogshit like the medics.

I really like the benet mercie but it's Def for those wit long range play styles.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
The lack of bipod (or perceptible bipod, anyways) is throwing me for a loop with support guns. This reverse spread poo poo is not that fun.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Do I have to be in a match to gently caress with load out? They haven't fixed this? Is this a feature now?

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

As much as I poo poo on the refractor games 2142 did negative spread increase better than this game.

Also GMG preorder should come with the Hellfighter poo poo but not Lawrence or Red Baron.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Party Plane Jones posted:

The lack of bipod (or perceptible bipod, anyways) is throwing me for a loop with support guns. This reverse spread poo poo is not that fun.
There are ones with bipods. You can get the lewis gun suppressive from the start which is actually pretty solid with the bipod and 90 round magazine. At level 2 support you get the MG.15 supressive for a real MG.

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

:munch:

TwatHammer posted:

If you don't want to deal with the mechanic, just use the Madsen. It functions similarly to low RoF ARs in older titles. Better magazine size than the BAR, same damage upclose and decent hipfire for the support class.

Party Plane Jones posted:

As mentioned, the suppressive variants have a bipod. You're not getting one with guns named light infantry or low weight. The M1909 and BAR gunner variants have bipods but they lack high capacity magazines.

The sentry's MG 08/15 is really good, it reaches max accuracy in four shots while stationary; you can touch enemies 30-40 metres away with it. Support LMGs should be patterned in the same manner, it's not like they're going to beat anyone in the DPS department or outgun loving ridiculous sniper rifles.

On that note, the flamer kit is completely outclassed by the sentry after the range and damage was nerfed compared to the open beta version.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

In addition to shooting faster and having better hip-fire, the Madsen regains full accuracy in less shots than the other LMGs. It's really the overall best option right now.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

TwatHammer posted:

Suppressive Lewis Gun has been good for me. I really like how bipods work in this game.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

I wish these guns weren't variants and they were actual attachments you could swap.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

Deakul posted:

I wish these guns weren't variants and they were actual attachments you could swap.

oh nooo I thought that was a beta thing

no proper weapon customisation is a bummer but I guess it is also a million times easier to balance

Monocled Falcon
Oct 30, 2011
How popular is Conquest among Goons?
Cause I've been watching Youtube videos and I'm not sure I can handle retarded clusterfuck run around mode in any game ever again, and esspecially not in a WWI-themed game.
Dammit there's supposed to be frontlines!

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets

Axetrain posted:

Is there any downside to buying this from Green Man Gaming, do I get the pre-order stuff if I get it from there?

It's the "Standard" Edition, so you'll only get the Hellfighter pack and 7-days early access to the "Giant's Shadow" map due in December.

For visual reference:

quote:

Harlem Hellfighter Pack containing:
  • Weapon: Hellfighter Trench Shotgun
  • Siderarm: Hellfighter M1911
  • Melee: Hellfighter Bolo Knife
  • Emblem: Hellfighter Insignia

quote:

Red Baron Pack:
  • Vehicle Package: Red Baron's Triplane
  • Sidearm: Red Baron's P08
  • Emblem: Red Baron's Flyer Pin
Lawrence of Arabia Pack:
  • Horse: Lawrence of Arabia's Black Stallion (new visual appearance for the horse)
  • Weapon: Lawrence of Arabia's SMLE
  • Sidearm: Lawrence of Arabia's Jambiya
  • Emblem: Lawrence of Arabia's Emblem
New visual appearance on the largest vehicles in the game:
  • Frontline Camouflage Train
  • Night Raid Airship
  • Dazzle Camouflage Dreadnought

Alehkhs fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Oct 15, 2016

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
The Hellfighter, Red Baron, and Lawrence packs are literally just reskins though, right? The weapons won't have different stats from the base versions?

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
In theory, yes. In practice, :dice: may happen.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

So fair fight is a legit concept with good execution and they let people cheat for a while to build evidence plus catching swaths of people suddenly.

DEBATE ME BITCH
Jan 5, 2005

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

cheese posted:

Also, shotguns are pretty fun. Even the default one will one shot out to a decent range and its so very satisfying. Plus it means you are playing Assault, aka the best class, aka you better play assault if you don't want your team to get rolled by that one guy in his light tank.

i like that the assault class was geared like it was in bf 2 and not Bf4 where people expected me to NOT gently caress poo poo up and insteaspend my whole game throwing bags at the feet of snipers

DEBATE ME BITCH
Jan 5, 2005

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
am i mistaken in thinking that this game only has 5 maps or???

Tarantula
Nov 4, 2009

No go ahead stand in the fire, the healer will love the shit out of you.

Debate Me Please posted:

am i mistaken in thinking that this game only has 5 maps or???

9 maps total, 5 available during the origin access playthrough as I understand it.

Mostly Lurking
Sep 25, 2008
Anyone else getting stuck on the "finding match" screen where it'll "check" the first three conditions but won't the last and going back just causes the the UI to disappear while just showing the background until you force the game closed? Happened 3 times now out of 6 when matchmaking for myself.

belt
May 12, 2001

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yep, this is happening to me. I either get stuck or I get into a server where I'm the only person.

fromoutofnowhere
Mar 19, 2004

Enjoy it while you can.
User server browser instead for now.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
Wasn't rush hosed on release for bf4 as well?

afkmacro
Mar 29, 2009

Bohemian Nights posted:

oh nooo I thought that was a beta thing

no proper weapon customisation is a bummer but I guess it is also a million times easier to balance

Yeah that really sucks tbh

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
Am I missing something or does the basic level shotgun have about as much effective range as quick melee?

Chomposaur
Feb 28, 2010

MadBimber posted:

anybody run into hackers? I was in a server against three dudes who I think were polish, and they were headshotting people across the map with 1911s. It was kinda funny but going against three dudes 50-5 gets old fast...

My second match right now had a disembodied floating gun instantly murdering people through multiple solid concrete walls. No line of sight required apparently.

rap music
Mar 11, 2006

This has probably been asked and I just didn't see it: do we get to keep anything unlocked during this trial? Just read that it does!

Also, does the standard edition preorder get access on Oct 18th, or is that only for the early enlister deluxe edition?

rap music fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Oct 15, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012
The new Tank Hunter loadout is fantastic. One-shot people at long range and then give them two barrels of 12g once they close in :clint:

Also Operations is really cool and I can see it mostly replacing Rush.

Speaking of Rush, I wish people weren't terrible and actually used/spotted for the artillery. Especially because the morse code is sometimes the BF theme :allears:

Dezztroy fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Oct 15, 2016