Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA
don't be a racist

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY

The Lord Bude posted:

I still think baba yetu should have been one of the great works of music in civ V.

They speak Swahili in Kongo right? They should make it the Kongo theme.

Swahili is spoken on the eastern coast of Africa, the Kongo is on the west

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

General Morden posted:

don't be a racist

i don't think he's being racist, he just had a standard american education

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Randarkman posted:

Yeah not what I was saying.

And if you're going to make that argument why bother have leaders tied to civilizations in the first place at all?

In IV you could totally do that in a custom game. Admittedly that was a bit easier to set up since leaders were little more than a combination of 2 generic attributes and a personality, but you could get some pretty cool combinations.

I hope you can do that again in VI at some point, but since leaders are way more involved I wouldn't be surprised if that wasn't an option (or had to be modded in).

Alkydere fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Oct 15, 2016

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Comstar posted:

I hope pre-ordering this wasn't a mistake like Beyond Earth was for me.

It's weird, I've watched more than a dozen hours of Civ VI gameplay and yet this is the kind of game where I still have no idea whether I will actually have fun with it.

I got the Rising Tide BE expansion last week and I guess I will finish this game I'm playing before Civ VI comes out, but it almost feels more like a chore to do so

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

The Lord Bude posted:

I still think baba yetu should have been one of the great works of music in civ V.

They speak Swahili in Kongo right? They should make it the Kongo theme.

They speak Kikongo (and Portuguese) in Kongo.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

It's weird, I've watched more than a dozen hours of Civ VI gameplay and yet this is the kind of game where I still have no idea whether I will actually have fun with it.

I got the Rising Tide BE expansion last week and I guess I will finish this game I'm playing before Civ VI comes out, but it almost feels more like a chore to do so

As someone who wanted to love BE so goddamned hard, who continued to hype himself up for it...I have to admit that I feel Rising Tide pretty much made the game worse. It was more or less balanced vanilla, with a few niggling details here and there (like how Harmony was always a harder start due to having to clear aliens off of your land), and kinda bland but everything worked out fairly well. A few mods (including my favorite adding the SMAX leaders in to actually make the factions feel different because each one had a massive buff or two mixed with a massive debuff) made it a really nice game for a good "quick Civ V game with sci-fi theme", at least for me.

Rising Tide added a whole bunch of really cool features. Like actually really, really cool. Each feature is rather shiny on the surface and adds so much to the world and storytelling...and would add to the gameplay if it weren't for the fact that each and every feature just made winning the game easier. Rising Tide's team accidentally knocked poor Balance out of the window when stuffing all these features in, and instead of trying to find space to him they took a hammer to Balance's fingers as it hung desperately from the windowsill. With all of the features put in you more or less just faceroll to victory no matter what you do.

...I just wanted to love BE so much. :smith:

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Super Jay Mann posted:

I hope that confirms that this game has an actual functional Spectator mode this time around instead of all the finagling you had to do in Civ 5 just to kinda sorta guess at what the AIs were doing.

Not 100% but I think the confirmed an observer mode way back

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Who does everybody think is going to win the AI Battle Royale this Wednesday?

I'm going with Russia. I think that their extra land will matter the most because Russia has potential to take its neighbor's good plots. So as long as Russia doesn't expand toward Monty, Gorgo, or Rome in the early game, they should fine.
I also think that the Lavra beats Spain's religion bonus on an all AI Battle.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

The Human Crouton posted:

Who does everybody think is going to win the AI Battle Royale this Wednesday?

I'm going with Russia. I think that their extra land will matter the most because Russia has potential to take its neighbor's good plots. So as long as Russia doesn't expand toward Monty, Gorgo, or Rome in the early game, they should fine.
I also think that the Lavra beats Spain'so religion on an all AI Battle.

There's also the fact that they get bonus resources on Tundra, which can help make some normally boneheaded settler decisions become good or even great.

It always annoyed me that none of the V civs get bonuses on tundra, except for Denmark's "Gets a rifleman that gets a combat bonus when fighting over a forsaken frozen hellscape that you'd rather let the AI have anyways."

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

The White Dragon posted:

i don't think he's being racist, he just had a standard american education

Actually I just looked up Swahili in Wikipedia, and I could have sworn it listed Kongo as one of the places it was spoken. No offence intended.

My point still stands - they should add a Swahili speaking civ and make baba yeti it's theme music.

The Lord Bude fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Oct 15, 2016

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Alkydere posted:

There's also the fact that they get bonus resources on Tundra, which can help make some normally boneheaded settler decisions become good or even great.

It always annoyed me that none of the V civs get bonuses on tundra, except for Denmark's "Gets a rifleman that gets a combat bonus when fighting over a forsaken frozen hellscape that you'd rather let the AI have anyways."

To be fair they did get a pretty powerful hill bonus on top of their worthless frozen hellscape stuff.

Their larger issue is that rifles are worthless are V because GWI and Infantry replace them almost immediately.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

The Lord Bude posted:

Actually I just looked up Swahili in Wikipedia, and I could have sworn it listed Kongo as one of the places it was spoken. No offence intended.

My point still stands - they should add a Swahili speaking civ and make baba yeti it's theme music.
Swahili is spoken in the eastern part of the modern Democratic Republic of Congo, but that part doesn't overlap with the kingdom of Kongo. That's probably where the confusion is coming from, I know I was confused until I looked it up.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Super Jay Mann posted:

To be fair they did get a pretty powerful hill bonus on top of their worthless frozen hellscape stuff.

Their larger issue is that rifles are worthless are V because GWI and Infantry replace them almost immediately.

Well, that's on top of the issue that Denmark are the trashiest of the trash-tier on V. As much as I love seeing Harold in V (because he'll fight a pathetic war against me and then be best friends afterwards), neither of his UUs or his UA are actually good enough to salvage anything. Especially when mixed with his start preference for worthless frozen hellscape.

I'm honestly not sure who is more gimped: V's Harold or III's Shaka.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Alkydere posted:

Especially when mixed with his start preference for worthless frozen hellscape.

This kind of thing is why I've never seen Brazil do well as an AI. They have a start bias for jungles, and jungles in the early game are poo poo. Especially since the other guy with a start bias for jungles is Monty...

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

I never had any problems as Denmark in V. The ski dudes don't do anythinget, but getting a unique longsword replacement one tech early was cool, and disembarking a catapult and firing on the same turn was fun.

So I guess they weren't good, but I liked them.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Randarkman posted:

Yeah not what I was saying.

And if you're going to make that argument why bother have leaders tied to civilizations in the first place at all?

Civilization doesn't really strive for historical accuracy of any kind. It mostly just seeks to evoke a sense of history, and to celebrate historical figures.

Same reason why Frederick Barbarossa is leader of Germany my friend, despite the kingdom he ruled being only barely related to modern day Germany.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Modern Germany's really only had one standout leader, though

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

You are referring of course to Angela Merkel, a lady so awesome that when she came to Brisbane for the G20, rather than stay cooped up in her hotel like every other world leader, she went clubbing and took selfies with random people.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

The Lord Bude posted:

You are referring of course to Angela Merkel, a lady so awesome that when she came to Brisbane for the G20, rather than stay cooped up in her hotel like every other world leader, she went clubbing and took selfies with random people.

Living leaders don't count, or we'd have Hillary as America's alternate.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Kaiser Wilhelm certainly wasn't a great leader, but he was an influential one. Otto von Bismarck is also a pretty good leader for Germany, I think.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

It's not a hard and fast rule is it?

I'm sure they can't wait till they can add Elizabeth II to a civ game - I think she'd be a very good addition.

I think FDR should be the alternate US leader, for symmetry.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Clearly Byzantine is talking about Paul von Hindenburg, the esteemed last true president of Germany :colbert:

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
sarah palin of america

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

The White Dragon posted:

sarah palin of america

Ronald Reagan of America: Bonus happiness in all cities, but the UI starts becoming increasingly obfuscated as the game goes on.

ThirdEmperor
Aug 7, 2013

BEHOLD MY GLORY

AND THEN

BRAWL ME
Does anyone know of an LP that's on higher than prince difficulty? Getting tired of watching people casually roll the game for their previews.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Alkydere posted:

Ronald Reagan of America: Bonus happiness in all cities, but the UI starts becoming increasingly obfuscated as the game goes on.

all camps within three tiles of a helicopter unit produce +1 food and +1 gold

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

ThirdEmperor posted:

Does anyone know of an LP that's on higher than prince difficulty? Getting tired of watching people casually roll the game for their previews.

The demo is locked to Prince.

ThirdEmperor
Aug 7, 2013

BEHOLD MY GLORY

AND THEN

BRAWL ME
drat that's lame, and hinders showing off their promised midgame when the player is already snowballing out of control by then against such flimsy opponents.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

ThirdEmperor posted:

The dev stream from yesterday was played on Emperor, if that counts.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Judging from the streams, does it appear as though an experienced civ player should start on king? Or do you think the different mechanics are enough to make you want to start on prince?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

You mean you all weren't talking about Willy Brandt

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Super Jay Mann posted:

The dev stream from yesterday was played on Emperor, if that counts.

Yep, and it looks so much better than prince. Even though the developers play like my grandma learning how to use a moust, the fact remains that the emperor AI builds cities and units pretty fast. I think it will give anybody a decent challenge until they learn how to treat VI like an Excel sheet.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

The Human Crouton posted:

Yep, and it looks so much better than prince. Even though the developers play like my grandma learning how to use a moust, the fact remains that the emperor AI builds cities and units pretty fast. I think it will give anybody a decent challenge until they learn how to treat VI like an Excel sheet.

I am finishing up the uploaded video from that stream and watching the devs play is agonizing. Dangit guys, get your hoplites adjacent to each other already so you get that bonus, stop keeping them so far apart, augh.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Roland Jones posted:

I am finishing up the uploaded video from that stream and watching the devs play is agonizing. Dangit guys, get your hoplites adjacent to each other already so you get that bonus, stop keeping them so far apart, augh.

It's weird, isn't it? You wonder how they can design a game and not know how it works.

I understand that they have 300 versions over 3 years of the game in their head, but putting hoplites together isn't complicated.

I'm sure the guy who invented chess isn't the best at it, but he probably remembered how to move the pieces.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
Hey folks, anyone know if there are still any decent pre-order deals floating around? Thanks!

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Vox Nihili posted:

Hey folks, anyone know if there are still any decent pre-order deals floating around? Thanks!

GamersGate has 30% off for either version if you buy using their "blue coins". (Requires level 2 in their dumb leveling system if you have to make a new account, and you'll still wind up paying $45/$60 for the coins since you can only buy them in increments as low as 5k/$5, but it's still a significant discount.)

emTme3
Nov 7, 2012

by Hand Knit
a

emTme3 fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Mar 31, 2022

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Roland Jones posted:

GamersGate has 30% off for either version if you buy using their "blue coins". (Requires level 2 in their dumb leveling system if you have to make a new account, and you'll still wind up paying $45/$60 for the coins since you can only buy them in increments as low as 5k/$5, but it's still a significant discount.)

I saw this but apparently you need to jump through hoops to ~level up~ which is almost demeaning enough to make me want to pay the extra $15.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Vox Nihili posted:

I saw this but apparently you need to jump through hoops to ~level up~ which is almost demeaning enough to make me want to pay the extra $15.

It wasn't that hard for me to do it; I checked the FAQ, set five price alerts, and a few other things and hit 2 pretty quick.

Not to say it's not dumb, mind. It really is pretty dumb. But it takes like five minutes if you have a list reference for what you need to do, which I think is worth $15/$20 personally.