Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

Ron Jeremy posted:

Most mac and cheeses start with with a bechemel sauce which is a handy thing to learn to make.

Truth + you now have one of the parts of Moussaka in your repertoire

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG
Thank you for the information. :hist101:

LongSack
Jan 17, 2003

Had a roommate in college who was trying to cook something that needed milk, and we were out. He substituted cheese because "they are both dairy products". Thank god I worked in a restaurant and was able to eat good food 4 or 5 nights a week for free (or at cost for the pricier stuff).

rgocs
Nov 9, 2011

LongSack posted:

Had a roommate in college who was trying to cook something that needed milk, and we were out. He substituted cheese because "they are both dairy products". Thank god I worked in a restaurant and was able to eat good food 4 or 5 nights a week for free (or at cost for the pricier stuff).
Everyone knows you need to add unflavoured whey powder, sugar and water to the cheese to bring it back to its milk form :rolleyes:

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

I forgot which thread it was I posted this, but a college roommate used nondairy creamer for mac and cheese.

Don't do this.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
I got non dairy creamer in a White Russian once

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer
^^On that note...

I bought some red caviar in a small glass jar at the airport in Moscow on Sunday, and when I bought it, it had been sitting in a refrigerator. Since returning home to the US on Sunday night, I've left the jar sitting unopened out on my kitchen table. Is it still safe to eat?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Rabbit Hill posted:

^^On that note...

I bought some red caviar in a small glass jar at the airport in Moscow on Sunday, and when I bought it, it had been sitting in a refrigerator. Since returning home to the US on Sunday night, I've left the jar sitting unopened out on my kitchen table. Is it still safe to eat?

No

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Aw, really? :(

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Rabbit Hill posted:

Aw, really? :(

Yeah. Here, try this:

Rabbit Hill posted:

I bought some milk in a small glass jar at the airport in Moscow on Sunday, and when I bought it, it had been sitting in a refrigerator. Since returning home to the US on Sunday night, I've left the jar sitting unopened out on my kitchen table.

Would you drink that milk?

I understand that there is cost to be considered, but that is 5 days sitting at room temperature. I sure wouldn't risk it.

DPM
Feb 23, 2015

TAKE ME HOME
I'LL CHECK YA BUM FOR GRUBS
Sup thread

Tonight I cooked some BBQ tofu which had been marinating for about 48 hours and was delicious. I uhm'd and ah'd about what to serve it with, and ended up serving it with white rice. Everything was tasty and all that, but the two halves of the dish didn't really come together in any way that I liked. I'm thinking it needed a sauce or a garnish or something to pull it all together.

Tofu marinade was soy sauce, honey, thai birds eye chillies, shalots, and a little lime juice. Does anybody have recommendations for what I could do better next time?

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

Grimey Drawer

CzarChasm posted:

Yeah. Here, try this:

Would you drink that milk?

I understand that there is cost to be considered, but that is 5 days sitting at room temperature. I sure wouldn't risk it.

That makes sense, thanks.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.

DumbparameciuM posted:

Sup thread

Tonight I cooked some BBQ tofu which had been marinating for about 48 hours and was delicious. I uhm'd and ah'd about what to serve it with, and ended up serving it with white rice. Everything was tasty and all that, but the two halves of the dish didn't really come together in any way that I liked. I'm thinking it needed a sauce or a garnish or something to pull it all together.

Tofu marinade was soy sauce, honey, thai birds eye chillies, shalots, and a little lime juice. Does anybody have recommendations for what I could do better next time?

We make this pretty often in my household and it is quick, easy and delicious.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

DumbparameciuM posted:

Sup thread

That marinade sounds awesome!

One of the secrets to tofu is "layers of flavor": since plain tofu tastes like nothing, you have to flavor the tofu, and then put it in a flavorful sauce. Since you seem happy with the marinade, now make a sauce that you can pour over the finished tofu and rice.

Also, add some veggies to the rice. Get some fiber in there.

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012
Roasted broccoli is really good with barbecued tofu and would be delicious with a sauce from that marinade.

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
Has anyone ever got these from super store? Are they any good? I'm especially intersted in the chicken one.

Ra-amun
Feb 25, 2011
Is it necessary to salt meat before you brown them if you're just gonna stick in a seasoned liquid to braise? Making chicken adobo and it's a little annoying to season with non-chickeny hands since I gotta cook the chicken in batches.

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012

Ra-amun posted:

Is it necessary to salt meat before you brown them if you're just gonna stick in a seasoned liquid to braise? Making chicken adobo and it's a little annoying to season with non-chickeny hands since I gotta cook the chicken in batches.

Put salt in a ramekin and then you can reach into it with your Salmonella hands all you want.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
Since I can't find a vodka thread or a general spirits thread, can someone recommend me a quality vodka? A boss is getting a big promotion and leaving the office, I'm looking to get them a suitable parting gift. If their drink of choice was anything other than vodka I'd have a pretty good idea of a quality, non-overpriced bottle, but instead I'm pretty in the dark.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

dick head dinosaur posted:

Since I can't find a vodka thread or a general spirits thread, can someone recommend me a quality vodka? A boss is getting a big promotion and leaving the office, I'm looking to get them a suitable parting gift. If their drink of choice was anything other than vodka I'd have a pretty good idea of a quality, non-overpriced bottle, but instead I'm pretty in the dark.

Once vodka is filtered more than once or twice the difference is pretty much undetectable, so if you want to give a vodka gift you're looking for 1) Reputation (Grey Goose), 2) Obscurity (try Luksosawa) or flavor 3) (Try the Van Gogh flavored vodkas or infuse your own with a flavor you know your boss likes)

I would recommend infusing your own since it's a thoughtful gift and will likely make much more of an impression, especially if it's a flavor that's not often sold commercially as vodka.

DPM
Feb 23, 2015

TAKE ME HOME

Ashikan judan posted:

Once vodka is filtered more than once or twice the difference is pretty much undetectable

I respectfully disagree. I need to read better before I post.

dick head dinosaur posted:

I'm a big fan of Chopin or Belvedere. If you want to be that guy you could get a bottle of Dan Akroyd's Crystal Skull vodka. It's mostly a novelty though. The only palatable way I have found to drink it is straight up on the rocks, but then you have nothing to spare you from it's slightly odd mouthfeel. You might think you can get away with like some citrus in there, but DO NOT. Anyway; Chopin or Belvedere.

DPM fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Oct 15, 2016

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

I dunno if you'd have time to get it shipped from New Zealand, but The Reid is some of the nicest vodka I've ever had.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

DumbparameciuM posted:

I respectfully disagree.

I respectfully lol at you

DPM
Feb 23, 2015

TAKE ME HOME

Ashikan judan posted:

I respectfully lol at you

I misread your post and thought you were saying that there was no distinguishable differences between vodkas which had been distilled more than twice. My bad, I need to read before I post :doh:

Mikey Purp posted:

We make this pretty often in my household and it is quick, easy and delicious.

Also I forgot to mention, I'm gunna try this. Thanks for the recipe.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

The way ultra clean vodka differentiates itself in the market is by the additives, they're allowed a small percentage of additives to enhance flavor or mouthfeel or w/e. This includes sugar, citric acid and glycerin.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
I'm looking for a recipe I found online in 2012 or 2013. It was for stuffed peppers or possibly pepper boats, we used it to make both so I'm not sure (leaning towards boats though). It might have been low carb or I might have just taken the rice out. The most distinctive thing about it I recall is that it was specifically for grilling the peppers, not baking or anything else.

It was Italian-ish with mozzarella, parmesan, lots of basil, 90% sure oregano, and tomato paste or sauce. And of course ground meat.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

DumbparameciuM posted:

I misread your post and thought you were saying that there was no distinguishable differences between vodkas which had been distilled more than twice.

You didn't misread me, that is what I said and what I meant. Once you filter a vodka more than twice, differences between them are largely indistinguishable, and blind taste testings back this up.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Ashikan judan posted:

You didn't misread me, that is what I said and what I meant. Once you filter a vodka more than twice, differences between them are largely indistinguishable, and blind taste testings back this up.

Agreed, fancy & expensive vodka does taste better.

Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Agreed, fancy & expensive vodka does taste better.

I've always found vodka bought by someone else to be the best.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I know it's the stereotypical expensive vodka, but Belvedere is the best I have tasted. It's only ~$28 for a bottle too, which isn't even cheap scotch.

I haven't had many vodkas, though. I prefer drinking a Christmas tree vs drinking gasoline.

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009
I'm looking to do some fun stuff with meat and eggs. Does transglutaminase work to bind egg whites to meat proteins?

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
Thanks for the advice on the vodka. Just went with the safe choice of Grey Goose since it was on sale.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Ashikan judan posted:

Filtering is not the same as distilling. I guarantee you there is a massive difference between various triple distilled vodkas, but yeah if you actually filter the vodka with a charcoal filter, that levels everything.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
Can anyone link me a cut protection glove on Amazon for mandoline use?

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

FishBulb posted:

Can anyone link me a cut protection glove on Amazon for mandoline use?

eeehm, yes?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01I6OZTN...S2T7ZP621&psc=1

edit:
awww, your mandoline cut you, didn't it :-(

paraquat fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Oct 17, 2016

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Cavenagh posted:

I've always found vodka bought by someone else to be the best.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

paraquat posted:

eeehm, yes?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01I6OZTN...S2T7ZP621&psc=1

edit:
awww, your mandoline cut you, didn't it :-(

No I don't have one but I wanted to get one and I wanted to get some gloves people know worked instead of just guessing :)

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
I bought some black garlic on a whim yesterday. What should I do with it?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I've taken to broiling strip steak as a relatively simple means of cooking steak for dinner, but I've been having some trouble getting it right. I salt and pepper both sides of a ~1in thick steak 45~60 minutes before cooking it, heat up the broiler, and cook in a cast iron pan with some butter for 2-3 minutes both sides. Most of the time, I get a somewhat tough steak around the sides and a rare-to-raw center, and all the juice leaks out onto my plate. I assume that's just a normal result of salting + cooking it, but I wonder if there isn't a better way to broil steak.

Any tips? Or should I be using a different technique?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Pollyanna posted:

I've taken to broiling strip steak as a relatively simple means of cooking steak for dinner, but I've been having some trouble getting it right. I salt and pepper both sides of a ~1in thick steak 45~60 minutes before cooking it, heat up the broiler, and cook in a cast iron pan with some butter for 2-3 minutes both sides. Most of the time, I get a somewhat tough steak around the sides and a rare-to-raw center, and all the juice leaks out onto my plate. I assume that's just a normal result of salting + cooking it, but I wonder if there isn't a better way to broil steak.

Any tips? Or should I be using a different technique?

Leave the steak in the fridge until you're ready to start cooking. Preheat the oven to 275 F, pull out your steak and salt it, then cook on an oven rack over a baking sheet until it's about 120-125 (for rare to medium rare) in the center. Take it out, sear the outside on an extremely hot cast iron skillet, then let it rest while loosely tented with foil. You can finish with butter if you'd like. Grind fresh pepper on the steak at the very end; it just gets burnt and flavorless if you sear with it on the steak.