Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
Okay, so I've wrapped up the first act(?) that's available on EA, and I have to say the last encounter is a surprisingly saucy affair on explorer mode. Possibly didn't help that I seem to have missed about 2 levels worth of experience somehow. Did I miss Dallis somewhere? I kind of thought she'd be the last hurdle to getting off the island rather then the bishop himself, though that might be a placeholder encounter maybe?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khagan
Aug 8, 2012

Words cannot describe just how terrible Vietnamese are.
Yeah that last fight made me use all my rez scrolls. The floor was an absolute mess afterwards.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Hrmmm can you still box off enemies with boxes and stuff and they just start skipping turns?

What crazy poo poo can you do currently is what i'm interested in.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Beat Divinity: Original Sin Enhanced edition earlier today.
My mains were a witch & rogue.
The witch character got respecced once for better combat capabilities, rogue was never touched.

-Scoundrel skill "crawling infestation" was vastly amusing the 3 times I got it to fully trigger.
-Disappointed I messed up pimping out Arhu for the lonely lich lady.
-Source temple trial was too much bullshit button hunting, googled the shortcut.
-Zombie Nick summon was worth keeping in my game, he really aggroed the final game boss.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I beat D:OS before Enhanced, I really need to get around to trying it out to see what the differences are.

I don't know why the other thread was closed but maybe we could rename this one to be about the Divinity series in general, with a tagline about D:OS2 coming out/being in Early Access.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
For people who have already played it, how long is the Early Access build of Divinity: Original Sin II? Vincke is claiming that act 2 will be twice as long and there will also be an act 3 that's roughly the same size as act 1, and I have to say.. I'm sort of hoping act 1 is short, because I find the original game to be way too long as it is.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

For people who have already played it, how long is the Early Access build of Divinity: Original Sin II? Vincke is claiming that act 2 will be twice as long and there will also be an act 3 that's roughly the same size as act 1, and I have to say.. I'm sort of hoping act 1 is short, because I find the original game to be way too long as it is.

I think that means the game just isn't for you. They're aimed at people after something really long and I'm glad about that.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
OS wasn't that long though unless you were really being exhaustive. The game gets artificially longer the more you mess with the inventory and crafting. EE really helped on the inventory front and probably shaves like five hours off a play through.

I do hope they make combat a little faster and the interface less lock stepped. Having to wait for healing animations to finish after every fight wears at you.

Rascyc fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Oct 10, 2016

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Phlegmish posted:

I beat D:OS before Enhanced, I really need to get around to trying it out to see what the differences are.

I don't know why the other thread was closed but maybe we could rename this one to be about the Divinity series in general, with a tagline about D:OS2 coming out/being in Early Access.

Also agree with renaming the thread to be about the Divinity series in general.
I've played & beaten all of the Divinity series except Dragon Commander.
The dragon segment in Divinity 2: flames of vengeance really soured me on more "fun" dragon combat.

I was one of the few people who selected "Linux" when the D:OS 1 kickstarter survey went out
I tried vanilla D:OS when it was released, then got tired of restarting the game to see the additional content added via patching(NPC companions mostly?).
Decided to wait for patching to end/the "coming soon" Linux version....then the Enhanced Edition was announced, which also delayed theLinux/Mac ports another 16 months.

All I remember from vanilla D:OS is:
-empty potion bottles were rare, merchants sold 1-2 maximum.
-the cyseal ship captain was a really impressive merchant.
-Zombie Jake wasn't evil, and acted as a zombie merchant once Evelyn died.
-combining scoundrel + Bow/special arrows was a really bad combo.
-dedicating at least one save in each playthrough to murdering the Cyseal cheese vendor.
-areas not being hardlocked until plot progression (thelyron murder hut/Evelyn house/immaculate shrine basement/etc)

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

NoNostalgia4Grover posted:

-dedicating at least one save in each playthrough to murdering the Cyseal cheese vendor.
NO ONE HAS AS MANY FRIENDS AS THE MAN WITH MANY CHEESES

I think you mean murdering everyone in that square but the best vendor :colbert:

Strumpie
Dec 9, 2012
I finished my first Coop D:OS EE playthrough recently and the games difficulty really fell off in the last quarter of the game.
We killed the final boss by accident when it melee'd the Damage Reflect/Barbed Wire tank and killed itself in 2 hits, so I really would have liked to see some minor level/difficulty scaling to prevent severe lulls/hills in combat difficulty.

We're going through Tactician mode now and the early game is at the right difficulty but I'm worried the exact same thing will happen again and the difficulty will decrease until fights aren't a challenge.

Is there any kind of tailoring challenge to the player in D:OS II, because I feel like familiarity with the systems is going to make it a cakewalk. Is there even Tactician mode in the sequel?

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
how the hell do you get past those goddam fire slugs lol. I don't have Rain.

Buller
Nov 6, 2010

Jastiger posted:

how the hell do you get past those goddam fire slugs lol. I don't have Rain.

Rain scroll?

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Buller posted:

Rain scroll?

Guess i gotta back track and find one, then. I have no cash :( I've only found a rogue, another rogue babe who I didn't take, a mage lady who is weird and thats it. I need a tank dude but haven't found one.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
There's more than one way in. And another way out too that doesn't even touch that underground section.

To my knowledge, you can get free by:
a) teleporting over the cliffs and fighting through the docks
b) going through the underground dungeon and
b1) finding a boat
b2) fighting out the front door
b3) fighting meat golem dude and through the sewers

Where to get to (b), you can
- appease fire slugs
- kill fire slugs
- find a path around the fire slugs
- cave near teleport escape route drops you past slugs
- (very suboptimal) have the dwarf lady remove your main character's collar and get thrown in jail
- I think the door under the shrine is lockpickable, not sure

lurksion fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Oct 12, 2016

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Played through the Alpha. Despite my gimped as poo poo party I was able to beat it. THe game is a lot of fun, but if there are only 3 acts and thats the entirety of act 1 and they are all that long....ehh I'm gonna want more game!

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
Some information from a Eurogamer interview

• The Companions will be akin to those from Baldur's Gate or Dragon Age: Origins - they have their own personality, relationships and opinions. You can influence them, but you cannot affect their origin quest or their relationships.
  • There are only going to be 6 Origins in the game total: Sebille (Elf), the Red Prince (Lizard), Lhose (Human), Ifan (Human), the Dwarf, and the Undead (that's the one written by Chris Avellone).
  • No word on whether the Undead's original race will be fixed as a human, or if that is variable.
  • Fort Joy is only most of Act 1. Missing are a tutorial area presumably on the ship bringing you to the island, and the finale presumably fighting to seize control of the Lady Vengeance to escape.
  • Act 1 is about 20-25% of the game, Act 2 will be about 50%, Act 3 will be the last 25%. However, three acts does NOT mean three maps.
  • Larian is in talks to do voice acting for the full game, but there's no guarantee that they'll actually do it.

EDIT: Whoops I am dumb. Sorry.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Oct 15, 2016

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Some information from a Eurogamer interview

• Larian is in talks to do voice acting for the full game, but there's no guarantee that they'll actually do it.

The only reason I'd want Larian to do full voice acting is because it would cut down on their rambling writing and force them to, hopefully, be more concise. Jesus, for all the praise their writers give each other, they need to chill the heck out and edit their poo poo.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Oct 13, 2016

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Your spoiler tag is incomplete. :saddowns:

Strumpie
Dec 9, 2012
I feel like Larian's writers would be happier writing fantasy novels. So fire them and hire new, better, video game writers.

This verbal diarrhoea must be stopped!

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
IDK I really like their writing

I just began playing Pillars of Eternity again, right after finishing D:OS, and PoE writing seems so bland and unimaginative while at the same time taking itself so seriously. D:OS writing at the other hand manages to be fun, interesting and very creative, while not taking itself seriously

I do agree that there a little too much of it, though

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

[*]There are only going to be 6 Origins in the game total: Sebille (Elf), the Red Prince (Lizard), Lhose (Human), Ifan (Human), the Dwarf, and the Undead (that's the one written by Chris Avellone).

They've also said custom characters will also have their own plot beats determined by the tag system.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Strumpie posted:

I feel like Larian's writers would be happier writing fantasy novels. So fire them and hire new, better, video game writers.

Unless something horrific happened to their writers between Divinity 2 and Original Sin, I have no problems with Larian's writing. Especially when it was coming out of Damien's mouth while he was full-on theater posing and monologuing at you. :allears:

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Elias_Maluco posted:

IDK I really like their writing

I just began playing Pillars of Eternity again, right after finishing D:OS, and PoE writing seems so bland and unimaginative while at the same time taking itself so seriously. D:OS writing at the other hand manages to be fun, interesting and very creative, while not taking itself seriously

I do agree that there a little too much of it, though

As much poo poo as I give Divinity OS for its writing, you and I feel exactly the same way regarding whatever poo poo Obsidian put out with PoE. It was almost like a kick in the nuts, given that I paid full price for PoE. :argh: It really put me off Obsidian game from here on out (unless they make Alpha Protocol 2, though :ohdear:).

I always felt PoE had better combat gameplay and artwork, but DoS kicked its rear end in every other category. DoS combat felt a little repetitive and slow.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Oct 14, 2016

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Drifter posted:

As much poo poo as I give Divinity OS for its writing, you and I feel exactly the same way regarding whatever poo poo Obsidian put out with PoE. It was almost like a kick in the nuts, given that I paid full price for PoE. :argh: It really put me off Obsidian game from here on out (unless they make Alpha Protocol 2, though :ohdear:).

I always felt PoE had better combat gameplay and artwork, but DoS kicked its rear end in every other category. DoS combat felt a little repetitive and slow.

I like D:OS combat a lot more too, but Im TB type of guy

And yeah, I also threw way too much money in PoE, and I keep doing it. I failed to enjoy it vanilla (got it from the kickstarter), but then bought March pt 1 anyway, and tried it again. And failed to enjoy it again. Now I got March pt 2 and Im trying to like it one last time. The writing really puts me off and I find the combat too chaotic to be enjoyable (and I suck very much at it). But Ill try to get to the end this time

edit: and yes, visually PoE is really awesome

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Oct 14, 2016

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Your spoiler tag is incomplete. :saddowns:

Someone report him.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

sassassin posted:

Someone report him.

He's just been...sassassinated.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

Elias_Maluco posted:

I like D:OS combat a lot more too, but Im TB type of guy

And yeah, I also threw way too much money in PoE, and I keep doing it. I failed to enjoy it vanilla (got it from the kickstarter), but then bought March pt 1 anyway, and tried it again. And failed to enjoy it again. Now I got March pt 2 and Im trying to like it one last time. The writing really puts me off and I find the combat too chaotic to be enjoyable (and I suck very much at it). But Ill try to get to the end this time

edit: and yes, visually PoE is really awesome

I gave up on PoE partway through because the story and setting just didn't grip me. The setting felt like it was simultaneously trying to be deep, unique and heavily intertwined with the plot, but also include all the standard high fantasy staples. For me the result of that was that the setting exposition felt like a slog that I had to read through, just to catch the important bits required to understand how the setting differed from every other.

I ended up prefering D:OS' turn-based combat over real-time with pause as well. It felt more satisfying tactical than the chaotic mess that combat in PoE and infinity engine games usually devolved into for me.

Slashrat fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Oct 15, 2016

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Slashrat posted:

I ended up prefering D:OS' turn-based combat over real-time with pause as well. It felt more satisfying tactical than the chaotic mess that combat in PoE and infinity engine games usually devolved into for me.

I thought PoE had great rtwp options. It was able to play almost just like synchronous turn-based, which is awesome.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I really liked my naked Cypher main character. Get in an opening crit with your crossbow, then start casting. PoE had a lot of interesting mechanics and ideas, even though not all of them worked that well or were fully realized. I feel like if they ever make a sequel and learn from the first game in an iterative way, it's going to be amazing.

As for the story and dialogue, the game had a dry tone and the overarching metaphysical theme really didn't do it for me, but I never found it to be badly written. Unengaging at worst.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Drifter posted:

I thought PoE had great rtwp options. It was able to play almost just like synchronous turn-based, which is awesome.

Is probably me, I am usually bad at real-time RPGs. Even with pausing, everything happens at the same time, I loose track of what everyone is doing, I cant focus on everything at the same time so I focus in this or that character while others are dying or making dumb poo poo and when I see it it is always too late, I set my mage to cast an AoE spell and then everyone moves and it hits my guys instead etc. I think the last RPG with rtwp I managed to be moderately effective was Dragon Age (the first), because it had some grate AI options so I could pretty much set your guys to fight by themselves and only direct control one or two characters

Phlegmish posted:

As for the story and dialogue, the game had a dry tone and the overarching metaphysical theme really didn't do it for me, but I never found it to be badly written. Unengaging at worst.

The writing inst bad really, but is kinda bland while it tries too hard to be profound and epic

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Oct 15, 2016

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
I just started D:OS and was wondering if I can just skip crafting all together? From what I read in the old thread, it sounds like crafting is useful, but I cant tell if it is required to not suck.

Next question is about combat. I really just got to the first city area and so far the combat has been my three or four guys verse maybe a maximum of six or so enemies. Do later part of the game ramp up to where I'm facing dozens of combatants? The turn-based combat is painfully slow for me and if it ends up being a painful slog I might just give the game a pass.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
Oops, sorry about the broken tag. I didn't fix it yesterday because my computer was off almost all day. (Also I was only guessing anyway.)

Schubalts posted:

Unless something horrific happened to their writers between Divinity 2 and Original Sin, I have no problems with Larian's writing. Especially when it was coming out of Damien's mouth while he was full-on theater posing and monologuing at you. :allears:

The writing in Divinity 2 was really great. I was less keen on D:OS 1, though.

I think what happened between Divinity 2 and Original Sin was that they originally had no plans to do voice acting, so they let their writer go and do whatever without needing to worry about staying within a word count. Plus there was also a change from having the player characters giving keyword-based dialogue in the pre-alpha D:OS 1 to full sentences, which added to the work load and word count.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

bongwizzard posted:

I just started D:OS and was wondering if I can just skip crafting all together? From what I read in the old thread, it sounds like crafting is useful, but I cant tell if it is required to not suck.

Next question is about combat. I really just got to the first city area and so far the combat has been my three or four guys verse maybe a maximum of six or so enemies. Do later part of the game ramp up to where I'm facing dozens of combatants? The turn-based combat is painfully slow for me and if it ends up being a painful slog I might just give the game a pass.

I did ignored crafting almost entirely, except making arrows cause arrowheads are so common and more arrows is always good. I never felt I was missing something either, but Ive seem many people comment on how crafting is overpowered, so it probably is worth if you wanna be OP

And yes, combat latter on can envolve a lot more enemies and stronger ones too, so some fights can and will take a lot of time (although early/mid game is probably harder than later). If you are not enjoying the combat, chances are you are going to get sick of it before long

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Oct 15, 2016

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
The beginning is the slowest. Once you get all of your self buffs and stuff, most fights will end within 3 rounds (once you know what you are doing anyway). It's certainly plodding once you get a routine but you'll curb stomp a lot.

The EE took a lot of trash counts down a bit. Don't expect any hordes unless you leave a respawn mechanic up (destroy tunnels etc)

Crafting is very broken yeah. It's implemented terribly but it's extremely strong. You will be fine ignoring it, the game is balanced around the dropped loot. I have a tactician and no crafting run and it's been fine even with some weaker builds. You find tons of arrows even without crafting.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Not all, IIRC. There's some pretty long fights mid and late game

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
The most annoying thing for me was when a character died. I felt like i had to give up a hyper precious resource in a res scroll so id save scum unless it was a mega hard fight. I really like the games but i wouldnt be opposed to a mechanic that either healed everyone to full after a fight or up to a threshold based on stats or something. Also maybe provide a gold cost method to ressing people instead of having to wait for the end game to learn the spell.

I hate it when my rogue, and its always the rogue, eats a ton of attacks and dies.

Also balancing wise they do need to give rogues some kind of innate defense at lower levels. In my playthrough of the beta, he was the weakest by far. He didnt have any mobility abilities, he had limited hp, and no way to avoid dmg. On the other hande Lohse could heal, teleport, freeze, stun, and poison people all in the same turn. And had close to the same amount of hp. Ooooooverpowered.

Also how do you gain more ap in the second game?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Divinity 2 was kinda cool and I'm sure I'm nostalgia-ing over it, but back when I played it it was *just enough*. Like, there was dialog, but it didn't go overboard, and it was kinda dry humor and not too tryhard and at times even clever. DoS at times felt like a writer's attempt at improv, like the dude wrote a few lines and then was all

and that cycle repeated for the entire project.

I'm kinda keeping an eye on DOS 2 and so far you guys make it sound like it'll be worth checking out.

Phlegmish posted:

I really liked my naked Cypher main character. Get in an opening crit with your crossbow, then start casting. PoE had a lot of interesting mechanics and ideas, even though not all of them worked that well or were fully realized. I feel like if they ever make a sequel and learn from the first game in an iterative way, it's going to be amazing.

I believe, Obsidian's new game, Tyrant, which uses the PoE engine (I'm almost certain) will probably iteratively improve upon PoE's already pretty solid gameplay. Unless they're toning down the combat mechanics, but that would be silly.

When I say the writing was bad I mean two things. One, that it was exceptionally unengaging. Half of the poo poo the characters were saying would have been better suited for an ingame encyclopedia (wasn't there already an encyclopedia? :laugh:), it was just bland exposition and repetitive scenery building. The second certainly adds to the first, which is that the story felt shoddily edited, as though a bunch of people wrote a few bits of dialog/scenes and pasted them together without any further editing so it feels slapdash and cluttered and inconsistent.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Rascyc posted:

The beginning is the slowest. Once you get all of your self buffs and stuff, most fights will end within 3 rounds (once you know what you are doing anyway). It's certainly plodding once you get a routine but you'll curb stomp a lot.

The EE took a lot of trash counts down a bit. Don't expect any hordes unless you leave a respawn mechanic up (destroy tunnels etc)

Crafting is very broken yeah. It's implemented terribly but it's extremely strong. You will be fine ignoring it, the game is balanced around the dropped loot. I have a tactician and no crafting run and it's been fine even with some weaker builds. You find tons of arrows even without crafting.

Cool, thanks. I am going to give it a go, I am about to actually finish PoE and need another longterm game to peck away at.

One more question, I have it in Steam and there seems to be no way to switch between Kb/M and a gamepad without restarting the game. Am I dumb and missing something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Well this is one way to make repairing matter

patch notes posted:

- Repair hammer and identifying glasses are now consumed when used.