Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which country won WW1?
The United States
USA
America
View Results

Fresh Shesh Besh
May 15, 2013

Yeah I'm watching LIRIK play right now and he had a full server which looked like an absolute blast, but as soon as he tried to do a different campaign thing it just put him into an empty server. I hope people play it on release.

EDIT: I can see how it might seem a little too linear for some people but just from watching gameplay it does a really good job of focusing the action and making you feel the entire team is working together. It feels more like the final act of a war movie than conquest does. Very excited to play it regardless.

Fresh Shesh Besh fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Oct 15, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012

Fresh Shesh Besh posted:

Yeah I'm watching LIRIK play right now and he had a full server which looked like an absolute blast, but as soon as he tried to do a different campaign thing it just put him into an empty server. I hope people play it on release.

That's because Kaiserschlacht is the only operation available in the trial. The rest rely on maps we can't play yet.

Hopefully they'll let you join operations in the server browser eventually.

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets
Yeah, if Operations dies as a mode, I'm going to be extremely sad. It is amazing.

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Well this game loving rules in every way possible. My only complaint is this loving time limit. I only have 4 hours left :smith:

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
On one hand I'm glad I saved the money instead of splurging and getting early access, but unfortunately the other hand is hitting myself in the face over and over for not splurging and getting early access

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

I feel like a piece of poo poo for it, but I don't think I have the patience for another progression unlock system in a shooter and kind of want to buy one of those skip kits if they sell them.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
So in my boredom in waiting for the game I found that somebody uploaded the Sturmtruppen cartoons based on Italian anti-war comic on the YouTube set in Not WW1/2.

Translated captions to English doesn't seem to work like always, but it is oddly entertaining and I wish I loving knew Italian.

Plan Z posted:

I feel like a piece of poo poo for it, but I don't think I have the patience for another progression unlock system in a shooter and kind of want to buy one of those skip kits if they sell them.

Well my friend, how do you feel about Monster energy drinks?

SeanBeansShako fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Oct 16, 2016

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
Operations should just work via browser or quick match. Quick matching to a single map is a dumb idea.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

I am sure Operations will do alright, the game is yet to be properly released to the masses yet.

Just a few more days. Just a few more days.

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

Havent been able to get into a single operation during my trial.

Also, tail gunners are ridiculous.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Have they been buffed or is it still a struggle to swat a dude from the sky?

Tarantula
Nov 4, 2009

No go ahead stand in the fire, the healer will love the shit out of you.
Game spot uploaded a 69-2 killstreak video on monte grappa, it looks really amazing nice bright day green grass plenty of cover but a very open feel to it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SWgBU_JQGx0

blindwoozie
Mar 1, 2008

SeanBeansShako posted:

Have they been buffed or is it still a struggle to swat a dude from the sky?

They're much, much better. The front turret on the bomber still rules too. WW1 AC130.

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0RG3iTRh7Fo

This video compares the damage. He approached from a bad angle, but a decent gunner can basically hit you from any approach.

Went up against an attacker with a good tail gunner. They basically dominated the skies, and the tail gunner was the one getting all of the air to air kills.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

Symetrique posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0RG3iTRh7Fo

This video compares the damage. He approached from a bad angle, but a decent gunner can basically hit you from any approach.

Went up against an attacker with a good tail gunner. They basically dominated the skies, and the tail gunner was the one getting all of the air to air kills.

haha holy poo poo is the fighter weak against bombers or what

you'd think the anti air fighter would pack a little more anti air punch than 1 damage per bullet. Is shooting the gunner himself a viable option, perhaps?

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

MilitantBlackGuy posted:

They're much, much better. The front turret on the bomber still rules too. WW1 AC130.

Oh thank gently caress, I hated when I first tail gunned in the beta and first thought it was me being poo poo but after my 3rd time unloading over a hundred rounds right into the frame of the biplane up my planes butt I had my suspicions.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

Bohemian Nights posted:

haha holy poo poo is the fighter weak against bombers or what

you'd think the anti air fighter would pack a little more anti air punch than 1 damage per bullet. Is shooting the gunner himself a viable option, perhaps?

Unless they changed it from beta, the fighter is insanely, worthlessly weak. I spent a bunch of time tailgunning on the tank hunter attack plane which is the real ruler of the skies since it can one shot bombers and can just fly straight for about five seconds to have the tailgunner destroy a fighter. It's honestly a good thing because single-person planes are kinda dumb.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

The Amiens map looks awesome. drat.

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

K8.0 posted:

Unless they changed it from beta, the fighter is insanely, worthlessly weak. I spent a bunch of time tailgunning on the tank hunter attack plane which is the real ruler of the skies since it can one shot bombers and can just fly straight for about five seconds to have the tailgunner destroy a fighter. It's honestly a good thing because single-person planes are kinda dumb.

I had a good amount of success in the beta with bomber hunter loadout for the single seat fighter, even against other attackers/fighters. The attacker's cannon got nerfed though, so no more easy one shots on planes.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

In alpha/beta the tailgunner was beyond useless in my experience, so it being a threat is a good thing... but not at the cost of the fighter being worthless.

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

:munch:
I could get engine disabled or several wing panels with the attack plane tailgun MG before it overheated in the beta. The real problem was that there was some inexplicable bug that caused bullets to no longer fire at the reticule. That's probably why people had so much trouble hitting things with it.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

Tarantula posted:

Game spot uploaded a 69-2 killstreak video on monte grappa, it looks really amazing nice bright day green grass plenty of cover but a very open feel to it.

Why the gently caress are they playing with controllers on PC??

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Anti-Hero posted:

Why the gently caress are they playing with controllers on PC??

Probably easier to set up a whole bunch of stations with controllers than everyone on M+K. I also remember developers mention that they do it for lots of events like this because not all press use M+K, and controller gameplay looks smoother and less twitchy. Hence games like DOOM being basically 100% controller footage despite it playing like it was designed precisely for M+K.

Klisejo
Apr 13, 2006

Who else see da' Leprechaun say YEAH!

Gonkish posted:

In alpha/beta the tailgunner was beyond useless in my experience, so it being a threat is a good thing... but not at the cost of the fighter being worthless.

Yeah, I was pleasantly surprised at actually being able to defend against fighters. I got used to the tail gunner being a ceremonial role in the beta.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

So how does the Operations mode work? I understand it's sort of like a better version of Rush?

Fresh Shesh Besh
May 15, 2013

Yeah you have 2 or 3 objectives that you cap like conquest, then it moves to the next area of the map like rush. Then, if the attacking team pushes through the whole map they move to the next map in that specific Operations campaign. They keep going until they push to the end of the last map or lose, then they switch sides and start again at the first map I think. Attackers get 3 tries per campaign before they really lose.

Also all of this is driven by little narrative cutscenes before each match starts. Also it's for 64 players I think.

Fresh Shesh Besh fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Oct 16, 2016

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

That actually sounds really cool. One of my favorite parts about Rush in BF4 was playing on 64 player servers, because even though they were designed for that many people, there was still enough space there to make things crazy. It focused that chaos in specific areas really well (although, obviously, on some maps it just flat out loving sucked *cough*Metro*cough*), and it really played up Battlefield's wonderful "HOLY poo poo EVERYWHERE IS BULLETS AND EXPLOSIONS" shtick well.

MadBimber
Dec 31, 2006

Tarantula posted:

that villar perosa is nuts. Think it'll be nerfed by tuesday?

Tarantula
Nov 4, 2009

No go ahead stand in the fire, the healer will love the shit out of you.

MadBimber posted:

that villar perosa is nuts. Think it'll be nerfed by tuesday?

Didn't seem like was actually getting attacked very much, and I don't think he can wear a gas mask either so I don't think so.
e; seems to spurt ammo out pretty quick to so lots of reloading.

MadBimber
Dec 31, 2006
I guess it's probably like the other pick ups: very good in some situations. Seems inaccurate passed close distance (as it should be). Seems like it might be harder to bayonet charge this one though, compared to the MG08 guy.

DEBATE ME BITCH
Jan 5, 2005

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
saw a black pre nazi and it was funny

IRSmurf
Mar 27, 2010

Opened my five Battlepacks. Got one of the three available legendaries. I wonder how rare they are.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
Origin says I preordered the game but I haven't gotten my preorder bonuses nor have I been charged. Wonder if I'll get charged on the 18th?

Klisejo
Apr 13, 2006

Who else see da' Leprechaun say YEAH!

Segmentation Fault posted:

Wonder if I'll get charged on the 18th?

Mine hit paypal on the 11th.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Klisejo posted:

Mine hit paypal on the 11th.

Checked my order history and apparently it got hung up on "processing." Cancelled the pre-order and re-pre-ordered and it went through immediately.

I didn't get my preorder stuff in the trial and I won't get to use it until the 18th but at least I have it now!

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

Plan Z posted:

Probably easier to set up a whole bunch of stations with controllers than everyone on M+K. I also remember developers mention that they do it for lots of events like this because not all press use M+K, and controller gameplay looks smoother and less twitchy. Hence games like DOOM being basically 100% controller footage despite it playing like it was designed precisely for M+K.

Ah ok that does make sense.

Fuuuuuuck I want to play this so bad but I don't want to support pre-orders what to do what to do...

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

The price tiers for the pre-orders and editions and all of this is classic EA. Jesus christ, 130 bucks or whatever it is for the super ultra maximum biggus-dickus uber edition? Really? drat, EA. drat.

Game looks amazing despite this, and I'm tempted to grab it for $46 bucks on GMG.

Gonkish fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Oct 16, 2016

IRSmurf
Mar 27, 2010

Anti-Hero posted:

Ah ok that does make sense.

Fuuuuuuck I want to play this so bad but I don't want to support pre-orders what to do what to do...

Did you play the open beta? It was a pretty good demo. That was enough to convince me to grab the pre-order.

You can play the full version now, for ten hours, for $5. Just subscribe to Origin Access. If you decide to buy the game, you get 10% off. (Which saves you $5/$8/$13)

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

IRSmurf posted:

Did you play the open beta? It was a pretty good demo. That was enough to convince me to grab the pre-order.

You can play the full version now, for ten hours, for $5. Just subscribe to Origin Access. If you decide to buy the game, you get 10% off. (Which saves you $5/$8/$13)

Oh, I played the gently caress out of the Alpha AND Beta. No doubt I'm buying the game, I just reaaaaaalllyy don't want to preorder because of EA fuckery.

Gonkish posted:

The price tiers for the pre-orders and editions and all of this is classic EA. Jesus christ, 130 bucks or whatever it is for the super ultra maximum biggus-dickus uber edition? Really? drat, EA. drat.

Game looks amazing despite this, and I'm tempted to grab it for $46 bucks on GMG.

This. The GMG deal is enticing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

https://www.greenmangaming.com/games/battlefield-1/

I see it as $53, is this a different version?

cdkeys has it for $43.39, are they less reputable?