Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
KS-Exclusives is almost worth it for the time I called people who require KS-exclusives in projects they're looking to back jerks, and they got really salty and threatened to report me for it. I wonder how many of those people were also in the anti-PC crowd.

e: this was on KS comments, not here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost
Yeah, "Oh, you don't get access to a slab of content because you didn't hear about this game until it was actually released" is just the worst thing at a concept level.

I'm actually really pleased with the Pillars of Eternity guys for explicitly saying "Our backers wrote a bunch of poo poo that breaks our fiction, don't read their stuff if you're trying to be immersed"

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

I think Darkest Dungeon did alright by having there be KS backer-designed weapons and party members that now everyone can access. There's the special "I backed this cool thing" feeling without excluding everyone else who discovered the game when it came out of early access.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

Yeah, I'm fine with timed exclusives (assuming the time is sensible and not, like, 10 years) and fully cosmetic ones and am ambivalent about minor bonuses in single player games, but anything significant sours me pretty quickly nowadays.

No Gravitas
Jun 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Somfin posted:

Yeah, "Oh, you don't get access to a slab of content because you didn't hear about this game until it was actually released" is just the worst thing at a concept level.

I'm actually really pleased with the Pillars of Eternity guys for explicitly saying "Our backers wrote a bunch of poo poo that breaks our fiction, don't read their stuff if you're trying to be immersed"

I still wish you could shut that garbage off completely with an option.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

No Gravitas posted:

I still wish you could shut that garbage off completely with an option.

I think there's a mod?

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
The best thing about the Pillars of Eternity super snowflake backer tier that got to create all those in-game NPCs with fanfic drivel background stories is how virtually all of them are terrible Mary Sue self-insertions.

I think most of them are Godlike race too from memory. I remember seeing a lot of the death ones.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Never forget. :911:

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

DancingShade posted:

The best thing about the Pillars of Eternity super snowflake backer tier that got to create all those in-game NPCs with fanfic drivel background stories is how virtually all of them are terrible Mary Sue self-insertions.

I think most of them are Godlike race too from memory. I remember seeing a lot of the death ones.
It's even funnier because the only canon Godlike you run into is Pallagena.

I keep saying it when ever its brought up, but LISA had the most seamless implementation of backer characters. Even the Best Friends and Jim Sterling fit with the game so well.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Oct 15, 2016

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Count Uvula posted:

http://www.kicktraq.com/projects/arcengames/ai-war-ii/
Not looking good. Not enough data for the statistics based projection, and their 'trend' graph is a linear thing. For reference, the top kickstarter on Kicktraq's front page was 'trending' towards $100k on day 4, and is finishing at 30,000.

A real shame too, because their design doc reads like a real good game, and achievable too.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard
Project Phoenix Update #134 - Oct 12 2016

Music from Azuregard posted:

Dear Project Phoenix backers,

Apologies for the late update, we've been very busy with Tomoki's concert featuring "I am Setsuna" in Tokyo. However, the rest of the development team has been hard at work and making progress.

We also have news which would hasten the development of Project Phoenix in the long run, but we will be making that announcement when it's secure. I am really happy with this development and it is currently our top priority to secure this deal. We will have to make sacrifices to make this deal work, but we owe that to this project and backers.

Yoko has made a number of changes to the Story to have a smoother feel to the First Act. Namely, the introduction to each character and how they become a part of your party. She is now working out details and is almost ready to start with the scripts.

Daniel has come up with a mechanic to change NPC behaviour dependent on the time of the day / night. To be exact, from when they wake up in the morning, go to work, to eat three meals and go back home. This could create complications but also opens up a myriad of possibilities for the players to explore, like some quests can only be opened at certain times of the day or you can only meet certain NPCs during a specific time, at a specific place. We will be testing this concept more in times to come.

Although I did promise to talk about music, Tomoki and I have been very busy preparing for the concert with Tokyo RPG Factory / Square Enix. I know this hasn't got nothing to do with Project Phoenix but I promised transparency is important, plus this event was very public. It also shows the quality of music we are capable of producing. Here's a site to "Winter's End" where you can hear snippets of Tomoki's work.

We will definitely talk about music production and present a new track by Tomoki in the next update.

Again, apologies for the late update, and we'll see you back in two weeks.

Hiroaki Yura
Director / Producer of Project Phoenix

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Mirificus posted:

We also have news which would hasten the development of Project Phoenix in the long run, but we will be making that announcement when it's secure. I am really happy with this development and it is currently our top priority to secure this deal. We will have to make sacrifices to make this deal work, but we owe that to this project and backers.

"Rejoice! We decided to split the game into 3 episodes to speed up the release. News about the Kickstarter for parts 2 and 3 to follow soon"

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

Three Years Later:

"We regret to inform our backers that the game portion of part 3 has been cancelled, and the story will continue in for the form of a webcomic...as soon as we can find an artist."

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

As we all know, actually writing the script is only about 5% of the work, figuring out how to introduce the characters (?) is the other 95%

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE

DancingShade posted:

wasn't there one backer NPC with a long detailed story about doing some extremely mundane task? that was pretty funny

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

I am so massively disappointed. Here's a kickstarter for an isometric mech shooting game, similar to Brigador, and I'd be all geared up for it as it looks great....

.....it's multiplayer-only.

Single-player would be a stretch goal.

:negative:

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

RottenK posted:

wasn't there one backer NPC with a long detailed story about doing some extremely mundane task? that was pretty funny

I stopped clicking them after the first few, so I dunno.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

StrixNebulosa posted:

I am so massively disappointed. Here's a kickstarter for an isometric mech shooting game, similar to Brigador, and I'd be all geared up for it as it looks great....

Yeah it's too bad, I really dig the visual style

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

StrixNebulosa posted:

When it fails the creator should reinvent it as a mobile game.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

They should send physical copies via the postal service with the name clearly labelled on the outside.

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

DancingShade posted:

This was one of the things that absolutely _killed_ PoE for me. In a genre where writing is super important, stumbling across garbage fan fiction and "hilarious" custom memorials and poo poo really took me out of it. Actual backer-created content is a bad thing in 100% of cases and it's a sad state of affairs if developers feel the need to include it just to find necessary funding.

kxZyle
Nov 7, 2012

Pillbug

Beeswax posted:

This was one of the things that absolutely _killed_ PoE for me.

Have you tried the IE mod?

IE Mod Feature List posted:

Fantasy names for backers. Backer names were originally intended to be lore-friendly, but for some reason Obsidian later went back on their decision and allowed backers to submit various names such as Vasily Raskolnikov, Hiro Protagonist, etc, names that didn't fit the world. This mod gives backers a random name from the list that I compiled, depending on their race and gender. Occasionally, names may repeat.
In addition to this mod, you can also type DisableBackerDialogues true, so as to not read the backers' fanfic. Takes effect after transitioning or reloading a save.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Was PoE even good? I figured it would probably have a decent story, unless it was too buggy to actually complete.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

I haven't gotten around to playing the expansion yet, but I had a lot of fun playing through the main game.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Fuzz posted:

Was PoE even good? I figured it would probably have a decent story, unless it was too buggy to actually complete.

Yes, it was fantastic and straight up better than BG 1/2.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Fuzz posted:

It was really good, the best crpg to be released in quite a few years i would argue.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard
Project Update #135: 【Project Phoenix】 October 17, 2016

Music to the Far Realms posted:

Dear backers,

Since we were late in our last update, here is a quick update with the progress in music.

The Kingdoms of the Far Realm consists of three allied Kingdoms. Izaria, a naval super power and also the Kingdom where Marcus was born. Chrondoria, a nomadic people who is famed for their skilled cavalry. Finally, Gilrock, a large farming Kingdom.

The first act of the game will revolve around getting used to Azuregard, and travelling around these three Kingdoms. Everything will be very new to the player and exciting to see different places in these Kingdoms.

This music will be used whilst traveling between towns, hopefully, on horseback. Please let us know what you think!

https://soundcloud.com/ciaonline/plains-of-the-far-realm

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.

Beeswax posted:

This was one of the things that absolutely _killed_ PoE for me. In a genre where writing is super important, stumbling across garbage fan fiction and "hilarious" custom memorials and poo poo really took me out of it.

All of that is really easily avoided, though. Like, you almost had to go out of your way to access that "content," since the custom memorials only appeared in a couple of cemeteries and the backer-created characters were clearly marked.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Fuzz posted:

It's very good, it's not very buggy, and the expansion is also really good. There is even another patch coming up, which shows how much Obsidian cares about their product.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Azuregard. What are we even doing.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Kingdoms of the Fur Realm? Nobody told me I was backing some goddamn furry game, gimme back my money you freaks

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
is this Project Phoenix supposed to be a real game? 135 updates and no screenshots or anything

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
PoE was so-so. Apart from the backer content which was obviously hot garbage, it also suffered from bouts of bad writing and some really nonsensical stuff like the whole stronghold building which felt badly tacked on. Like a lot of RPGs it also had problems with finding a consistent tone to the storytelling.

Can't hold a candle to (for example) BG2 which is basically a campy adventure movie from the start and is (mostly) really well laid out.

Lemon-Lime posted:

Yes, it was fantastic and straight up better than BG 1/2.

Do not trust this man and his anime avatar.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Fuzz posted:

Yes, it's quite good. Definitely the best of the new wave of CRPGs in my opinion. Though it's not perfect by any means, it can often be very dry. I have high hopes for Tyranny.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

What really killed my interest in PoE was the fact there was a limit on how many times you could use most abilities for an in-game day. You had to constantly be using campfires in order to be the most effective. Also, you could definitely tell the game was made with a small budget.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
PoE was the game that made me realize I don't care for RTwP games. I liked everything else but the combat. I played it almost on top of Divinity: Original Sin and despite the total package not being as good as PoE, I enjoyed the turn based combat way more.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Beeswax posted:

Do not trust this man and his anime avatar.

I'm sorry? Street Fighter is extremely serious and not at all anime, at all.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Levantine posted:

PoE was the game that made me realize I don't care for RTwP games. I liked everything else but the combat. I played it almost on top of Divinity: Original Sin and despite the total package not being as good as PoE, I enjoyed the turn based combat way more.

Yeah too much micromanagement is why I quit playing partway through. When routine actions in a game become a routine chore it sucks the fun out and feels like work.

That being said they did later on update PoE when they released the DLC expansion with some passable party AI you could configure (don't need the DLC to use it either). I've started playing it again and I like it a lot more this time around.

I guess it also bears mentioning that I didn't like BG2 until I'd played it enough to build a party I liked that suited my playstyle. My current PoE party is 2 paladins, 3 rangers and a cypher. No recover on rest only abilities!

Divinity Original Sin leads the genre now though. So good.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

IShallRiseAgain posted:

What really killed my interest in PoE was the fact there was a limit on how many times you could use most abilities for an in-game day. You had to constantly be using campfires in order to be the most effective. Also, you could definitely tell the game was made with a small budget.

Every class has per-combat encounter abilities, and low-level mage/priest spells become per-encounter as you get higher levels.

You never even need most of your abilities unless you're playing on the higher difficulties, and they throw camping supplies at you constantly. And it's a huge improvement over BG's standard "use all your spells and rest after every single fight."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Litany Unheard posted:

Every class has per-combat encounter abilities, and low-level mage/priest spells become per-encounter as you get higher levels.

You never even need most of your abilities unless you're playing on the higher difficulties, and they throw camping supplies at you constantly. And it's a huge improvement over BG's standard "use all your spells and rest after every single fight."

It's an improvement over BG but it's still bad. Not needing to use most of your abilities or think about the combat a lot just makes it pointless busywork.

Andrast fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Oct 17, 2016