Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Just finished what will probably be my last Civ V game with a buddy of mine. Won a science victory as Carthage. The turn before I won I dropped a bunch of nukes on people and peaced the gently caress off that planet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Ice Fist posted:

Just finished what will probably be my last Civ V game with a buddy of mine. Won a science victory as Carthage. The turn before I won I dropped a bunch of nukes on people and peaced the gently caress off that planet.

Probably the same for me. Only instead it was China and I started with the world's monopoly on cotton. I felt if that wasn't a sign to export blue jeans (and attached pop music) I didn't know what was.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Ice Fist posted:

Same, except I did it to airlift a civilian from Casablanca to Lisbon for the "Here's Looking At You, Kid" achievement. Here's looking at you, Civ.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

boner confessor posted:

from a non-gameplay standpoint it doesn't make much sense because it's not like i need to keep a supply of iron to maintain iron weapons, i just need to be able to produce them once

Actually, that isn't quite true. Sure, maintenance doesn't require as much as the original production, but given that we are talking about armies that exist for very long time periods, you need additional materials to replace stuff that has been damaged and isn't recoverable to recycle, isn't possible to recycle, was lost, or whatever. Plus there are the small improvements inside that type of tech that would require replacement of equipment, but isn't enough of a change to warrant a new tech in Civ.

Lets take tanks, and say each turn in Civ is 10 years. In 10 years, particularly when in a war footing, a country will continuously generate new tanks to replace the old ones as ideas happen. Think of Russia and Germany in WW2. In a short period of time they developed a huge variety of tanks, each one designed to in theory replace the old one. Civ obviously isn't going to have a different unit for a T-26, a T-34, and a KV-1. They all get labeled as "tank", and as new ones are rolled out they will often just replace the previous tanks in existing units. Plus the whole "unit healing" thing would require replacing equipment.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Civ VI Launch Trailer

Sean Bean doesn't survive it.

I have a hunch I know what Poland's unique unit will be (again).

Launch schedule.

PRELOAD IS UP

Hogama fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Oct 17, 2016

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
so I'll try to be oblique.
My god why are her eyes so loving big?

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

So if you're willing to do the vpn activation rigmarole you can start playing noon thursday est.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID

Hogama posted:

spoiler alert

loving laffo. Whole trailer looks good, and I'm digging the song in the context of that narration.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I'm excited to get this in half a year when it's on sale along with a DLC and it's been patched and there's a concensus on it being good or not.

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe

Baronjutter posted:

I'm excited to get this in half a year when it's on sale along with a DLC and it's been patched and there's a concensus on it being good or not.

I'm excited to play it Friday morning, where does that put me on the continuum of edginess?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I've never ordered a steam game through Amazon but I had a gift card I found to make it cheaper, do they typically send codes for preloading or am I waiting until launch?

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Checked my account on GMG and the code was there.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I am glad of Sean Bean's narration.

pwnyXpress
Mar 28, 2007

splifyphus posted:

This is pretty cool, but gently caress putting information up in video form like this:

• Starting more cities doesn't increase tech or civic cost, but each builder, settler, and district produced increases the cost of the next one. This is the only real limit on going wide now, so 'tall' really is no longer a thing. Bigger is better.
  • Unique districts do not count towards your district cap and are cheaper than their counterparts. So you can build a unique district in any city any time any where.
  • Settler poaching is real.
  • Razing cities is instant and permanent, but you can only do it when you capture the city.
  • There's no more resistance when you capture a city, and you don't have to build courthouses. You just have to repair damaged buildings from fighting, and
  • get the enemy to cede the city to you in the peace deal. If you don't get formal diplomatic recognition that the city is yours, it will not grow and will be a big diplomatic wart on your glorious empire.
  • Removing marsh tiles gives a food boost, removing jungle tiles gives a food and production boost, and of course, you can chop forests for production.
  • Pantheon costs do not increase, and you keep your initial pantheon for the rest of the game no matter what.
  • You can move a unit and airlift it on the same turn. You need an an aerodrome district with an airport on both sides of the airlift.
  • You can save unit promotions. There is no option to burn your promotion on an instant heal because all promotions heal anyways.
  • When you're the suzerain of a city state, you can pay to temporarily take control of its military.
  • You only need 1 copy of a strategic resource to build as many units as you want, but only in cities with encampments. With 2 copies, you can build them where ever you want.
  • Spies can get captured, and captured spies can be bought and sold.
  • blah blah no more global happiness, luxuries give 4 amenities which are split between 4 cities we know this already
  • Nuke silos are built with military engineers. Once built, you can launch a nuke on the same turn as long as you have one ready, no rebasing needed (we can only hope this applies to planes too).

THANK YOU

BattleHamster
Mar 18, 2009

What's with Kosovo not getting the game?

Saltin
Aug 20, 2003
Don't touch

Antti posted:

Checked my account on GMG and the code was there.

Just got an email from them with my keys (Game and Aztec pack). Game is currently pre-loading on steam.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Hogama posted:

Civ VI Launch Trailer

Sean Bean doesn't survive it.

I have a hunch I know what Poland's unique unit will be (again).

Launch schedule.

PRELOAD IS UP

That's a pretty loving good trailer.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

So much like Civ V was 'go tall all the time' Civ IV is 'go wide all the time'?

What game mechanics in 6 are limiting factors in how fast you can expand?

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Ice Fist posted:

Increasing settler costs and that making new settlers uses a pop from the city they're made in, I think. Also, space, having to defend all your cities, etc.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Ice Fist posted:

settler cost gradually increase for every one you build, and they take a population point from the city they're in. Not huge costs but also not minor once things really get going.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Her eyes are huge lol.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Trivia posted:

My god why are her eyes so loving big?

anime

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
That trailer has restored my faith that all is right in the universe because Sean Bean died. I feared that there was no way to kill the narrator in a game like this.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
The twist was that Japan won a cultural victory before you even played the game.

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
Could luxuries also be a limit on going wide due to the 4 city limit per resource?

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

Tatum Girlparts posted:

settler cost gradually increase for every one you build, and they take a population point from the city they're in. Not huge costs but also not minor once things really get going.

I won't know exactly how I feel about this until I play obv, but on the face of it I like this better than 'the best and only way to expand is 4 cities' which also was a limit on how much I felt like conquering someone. "I can't attack him because then I'll have more than 4 cities!"

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Hogama posted:

The twist was that Japan won a cultural victory before you even played the game.

"You expected to be the one to win a cultural victory. But it was me, Hojo!"

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Ice Fist posted:

I won't know exactly how I feel about this until I play obv, but on the face of it I like this better than 'the best and only way to expand is 4 cities' which also was a limit on how much I felt like conquering someone. "I can't attack him because then I'll have more than 4 cities!"

Yea, not sure about it either obviously but it seems like a solid change. You can't afford to just zerg rush settlers but there's nothing wrong with a slow blobby kinda land grab if you can maintain it, seems like the best way to handle it.

Though I've always wasn't a fan of the 'tall' style of 5 so I'm biased to anything that shifts things back to 'wide'.

Hand Row posted:

Could luxuries also be a limit on going wide due to the 4 city limit per resource?

Yea that too, they're not a super hard cap but if you want your cities doing their best you'll need to be sure to have enough wine and poo poo to keep things going smoothly.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Hogama posted:

Launch schedule.

GET hosed MONTENEGRO

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
My GMG code just arrived. :getin:

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

I weep for Cuba.

You think they'd get games now. One day, brothers and sisters, one day.

-Dethstryk-
Oct 20, 2000

Hand Row posted:

It's definitely a pretty hard limit on how wide you can go efficiently, since if you aren't meeting your required amenities number your growth is severely affected. I like it.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

-Dethstryk- posted:

It's definitely a pretty hard limit on how wide you can go efficiently, since if you aren't meeting your required amenities number your growth is severely affected. I like it.

oh poo poo forgot it affected growth, for some reason I thought it was production and poo poo. Yea that's a much harder cap than I thought.

Yea, works well, and it gives me excuses to do stupid poo poo like try to forcibly take pigs from Rome and poo poo.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

Tatum Girlparts posted:

oh poo poo forgot it affected growth, for some reason I thought it was production and poo poo. Yea that's a much harder cap than I thought.

Yea, works well, and it gives me excuses to do stupid poo poo like try to forcibly take pigs from Rome and poo poo.

I AM HERE FOR YOUR TRUFFLES DO NOT RESIST!

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Ice Fist posted:

I AM HERE FOR YOUR TRUFFLES DO NOT RESIST!

The dye wars quickly spun out of control, and devastated an entire continent. When asked if it was worth it Ghandi simply said 'fuckin yea I got the dyes right?'

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yep. Also makes excess luxuries a very appealing thing to trade.

Entertainment Complex buildings provide Amenities too, in a radius around them for the better ones, so luxuries aren't the only way of being happy, but that's a district and such dedicated to happiness over something else, and needs to be placed well for maximum benefit.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Oct 17, 2016

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

I don't know what to put here. Guys? GUYS?!

Delsaber posted:

In a shocking move, Civilization VI becomes the millionth video game to feature Lu Bu in some capacity

Forget about Lu Bu!

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
speaking of trade how have streams been showing off the AI for that stuff? Not expecting gold considering where the bar is set but I've seen one stream where Rome literally gave...Rome...away for one thing of pigs which...feels like that should be a one time bug thing rather than the norm. I hope with the change in resources the AI puts a better 'value' on them and all in trades.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
more trailers should start with Corsica

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emTme3
Nov 7, 2012

by Hand Knit
a

emTme3 fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Mar 31, 2022