Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I wonder how well you could do maining bastion in comp

Ya you would get a lot of mad pubbies, but his recon mode is surprisingly powerful. Only issue I'd see is that you are immediately Public Enemy #1 and the other team will exert all their strength in killing you. Which could be good because distracting the enemy like that in order to get the rest of your team alive

Imagine any additional salt from having golden guns :allears::getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Unless I am completely missing something here, Bastion's recon mode seems anything but "surprisingly powerful."

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*
Bastion is bad though

KoB
May 1, 2009

RCarr posted:

Was there ever any easter egg found with the glowing eyed ravens in the brawl?

The easter egg was that they came out and said they dont mean anything besides being creepy crows.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Internet Explorer posted:

Unless I am completely missing something here, Bastion's recon mode seems anything but "surprisingly powerful."

Self heal and pretty good damage output, just extremely fragile

Parachute
May 18, 2003
so he's s76 but can't shoot while healing also his model is twice as large?

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Okay fine I was just spitballing but of course my hopes and dreams of a self sustaining salt factory were dashed

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Bastion is only viable on Hanjo tier and Team Hanjo already has #1 in the world Bastion iBeepl .

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
I wonder what they could do to his recon mode to make it a bit more viable.

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx
bastion is fine as he is, not all characters need to be viable at all levels or in all situations

Fusion Restaurant
May 20, 2015

I'd say it's surprisingly powerful relative to how little people expect of it. You could probably main bastion in comp just fine, but people won't like you very much and to succeed consistently your team really has to play around you.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!

Bill NYSE posted:

Who gets to be Krampus?

Reaper?

Afraid of Audio posted:

bastion is fine as he is, not all characters need to be viable at all levels or in all situations

Eh, Bastion could be a little more viable so he's a better hard counter to the 3-3, or 5+1 strat. That's as simple as improving his self sustain for the most part, although you could make the speed of Sentry-Recon and Recon-Sentry faster, maybe make the spread in Recon mode lower.

tyrelhill
Jul 30, 2006
Bastion needs a stealth mode and shadowstep backstab, he'll be worthy of pro comp play then

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
They could just adjust his deploy times according to whatever role they want him in.

Flanker? Increase deploy time, decrease recover time so he can escape after a successful flank.

Finisher? Decrease deploy time but increase recovery, so now he needs be sure he can kill everything or he'll get destroyed as he switches.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I was in a comp game with a Bastion yesterday where we did stomp the gently caress out of the other side, but average skill makeup was like 1380, which is far below even my pitiful ranking. I figured if I pocket Mercyed him we wouldn't lose, and I was right. Even though he only moved once.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

They really need to buff mercy's healing rate and damage boost because as someone in some recent thread mentioned, mercy effectively makes your team 5v6

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

you can climb just fine as bastion, much like you can as anything else. you just have to be good at it and hope your team is willing to work with your gimmick rather than against it

it is actually surprisingly powerful tbh, the gun does 89/178 dps and that's only a little weaker than soldier's. you can clown on people expecting an easy kill by nailing some headshots

recon bastion is still bad tho, don't get me wrong. he has a massive hitbox, no mobility, 20 shots in a clip (hope you've got really good aim because you don't have enough shots to afford missing some), and while his gun may be decent it certainly isn't better than any of the heroes that are likely to chase you down. honestly he feels squishier than tracer sometimes and his range isn't amazing

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Make RMB deploy his little yellow bird that reveals enemies in a small radius for several seconds but only works in recon mode. Enemies will know its up because it will be chirping.

When getting hit, each hit reduces the time it takes him to deploy to turret mode. When in turret mode getting hit reduce undeploy time.

Now his recon made is an actual recon mode, and being under fire allows him to switch modes more rapidly.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

give bastion a skateboard

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Manatee Cannon posted:

give bastion a skateboard

This too!

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx
okay here's a concept: bastion has 200 health and 100 armor, he has two modes called "walk and shooty" and "root and shooty" and he can heal himself, his ultimate turns him into a mobile tank with explosions

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Afraid of Audio posted:

okay here's a concept: bastion has 200 health and 100 armor, he has two modes called "walk and shooty" and "root and shooty" and he can heal himself, his ultimate turns him into a mobile tank with explosions

That will never fly. What are you stupid?

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx

RCarr posted:

That will never fly. What are you stupid?

ah gently caress my bad

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Manatee Cannon posted:

you can climb just fine as bastion, much like you can as anything else. you just have to be good at it and hope your team is willing to work with your gimmick rather than against it

it is actually surprisingly powerful tbh, the gun does 89/178 dps and that's only a little weaker than soldier's. you can clown on people expecting an easy kill by nailing some headshots

recon bastion is still bad tho, don't get me wrong. he has a massive hitbox, no mobility, 20 shots in a clip (hope you've got really good aim because you don't have enough shots to afford missing some), and while his gun may be decent it certainly isn't better than any of the heroes that are likely to chase you down. honestly he feels squishier than tracer sometimes and his range isn't amazing

I can't believe we're seriously discussing this. Okay, so his gun has less dps than Soldier (and a larger spread), he can't sprint, can't drop an AoE heal and continue firing, can't shoot a rocket every 8 seconds, has a giant loving hitbox... yeah, he's "surprisingly powerful" alright!

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

yes? it's surprisingly strong in the same way that mercy's pistol is. you can catch people off guard and kill them because it's stronger than people expect but it's not exactly good. what problem do you have with this?

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i think the point of the contention is "wow, you can sometime kill people with this gun!" is not a particularly strong piece of evidence for calling something surprisingly strong because by that qualification lucio's literal pea shooter is surprisingly strong

it's not "surprisingly strong" it's just "as expected strong"

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Manatee Cannon posted:

yes? it's surprisingly strong in the same way that mercy's pistol is. you can catch people off guard and kill them because it's stronger than people expect but it's not exactly good. what problem do you have with this?

This is what I was getting at after having a match where I played bastion mostly in sentry form and owned a bunch of people who thought they'd have an easy kill

I didn't really mean for this line of discussion to devolve the way it has so maybe we should move on and not take it as seriously as it was taken

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

it's not "you can sometimes kill people with it", it's "you can easily kill people with it because it deals good damage". the damage isn't the problem with it, it's the 20 shot clip and literally everything about recon bastion that is not the gun

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Manatee Cannon posted:

it's not "you can sometimes kill people with it", it's "you can easily kill people with it because it deals good damage". the damage isn't the problem with it, it's the 20 shot clip and literally everything about recon bastion that is not the gun

but, as someone pointed out, it doesn't deal good damage

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I mean it does but ok

You
Oct 6, 2009
I like playing Mercy. A lot. It's really fun when your team realises that they stay alive longer when they are protecting the healer that sweeps from player to player.

Then there are the other kind of match where you desperatly chase after everyone that goes alone head first into the enemy team while spamming the °need healing° voice clip. And to top it off, they don't care for it when they get it. I had a match where I healed 40% of the damage and rezzed three teammates to capture the point and win the game. It was the PotG and felt quite cool doing it. Then everybody voted for Genji and Bastion.

Fusion Restaurant
May 20, 2015

Cumtaster posted:

but, as someone pointed out, it doesn't deal good damage

It is basically a slightly worse soldier gun. Usually I think of recon Bastion as a giant anthropomorphic target begging for the sweet embrace of death, but it turns out he can actually fight back pretty well. If you look at some pro games he has been played, especially by Seagull, even pros seem to get surprised by the damage recon can deal.

strong bird
May 12, 2009

This firearm is surprisingly strong, which I did not expect.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Cumtaster posted:

i think the point of the contention is "wow, you can sometime kill people with this gun!" is not a particularly strong piece of evidence for calling something surprisingly strong because by that qualification lucio's literal pea shooter is surprisingly strong

it's not "surprisingly strong" it's just "as expected strong"

Cowcaster to the rescue.

Just because you can kill someone with it, does not make it surprisingly powerful. Being caught off-guard because "holy gently caress a free kill Bastion managed to get a lucky headshot with his spray and pray" does not make it surprisingly powerful. You may have died to it surprisingly, but, well... poo poo happens.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
Bastion's recon mode is to make him not useless when he is getting into position. You aren't going to win a 1v1 against another player with similar skill in recon mode, but it's okay for getting a bit of damage in on someone who managed to get into the backline while you were getting into position.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

strong bird posted:

This firearm is surprisingly strong, which I did not expect.

Kehveli
Apr 1, 2009

Push It Like You Push Your Girlfriend
I have a friend who went for the maximum salt combo. Top 500, golden bastion gun.

This is also the #1 acceptable circumstance in which to play bastion.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Afraid of Audio posted:

Maybe not all situations(cause that would be boring), but I definitely disagree about the all levels point, not really much point to a character in my opinion if they aren't viable both at the lowest scrub levels and the highest comp levels

Which admittedly means that a very large percentage of the heroes need some heavy overhauling to fit with what I'm saying

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
I think right now the only one that could apply to would be Symmetra. Literally any hero can be viable at low levels, and she's the only one I can't recall seeing recently in competitive play

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WanderingKid
Feb 27, 2005

lives here...
If objective and map design are every going to be expanded, the heroes don't necessarily need drastic changes though. i.e. Widow = immobile while scoped, has poor peripheral vision and can't contest a point but if Blizz were to release a new map called Anubis 2 with 2x sniper nests accessible only by long range teleport/grappling hook with full view of the capture point, cover for LoSing/peeking and a health pack spawn then suddenly widow becomes broken tier on that map. It would never happen to this extent but you see how the map can be designed to play more to a certain hero's strengths and minimise its weaknesses.

One example in the game currently is Mei on Hanamura point A defence. You can camp that big wooden doorway and troll icewall teams in half whenever they try to push in.

Blizzard have this really strange tendency in some of their other games to gently caress with the numbers to such a drastic extent they end up destroying their own game systems.

WanderingKid fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Oct 17, 2016