Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

e_angst
Sep 20, 2001

by exmarx

oldpainless posted:

With how dangerous it is, why does anybody even fight anymore?

And suddenly, the thread encounters a wild Economist!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

oldpainless posted:

https://www.niaaa.nih.gov/alcohol-health/alcohols-effects-body

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

oldpainless posted:

According to my anthro class, because humans still love to get buck wild and do macho displays.

how me a frog
Feb 6, 2014

WrenP-Complete posted:

I think I've told this story in this thread, but after learning self defense and basics of Tai Chi, Aikido, Krav Maga, two guys tried to mug me, I broke a nose and started shouting, and then called 911 on myself, sobbing. The 911 operator explained what happened to me, and everything was (relatively) fine. Don't get into real fights; it's horrible.

It's like the third time I've seen you tell that exact "story" so chances are, yeah, you probably told it in this thread before.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

how me a frog posted:

It's like the third time I've seen you tell that exact "story" so chances are, yeah, you probably told it in this thread before.

Maybe someday I'll learn my lesson. :)

quote:

(It’s 6:30 in the morning and our store has been open for about a half hour. I am the only cashier at the moment, so I am taking care of a cash register, as well as two self scan registers. A lady with a carriage full of items walks past my cash register down to the self scan registers. After she tries to find her first item, she calls me over.)

Lady: “I can’t seem to find these bananas in the computer; can you find them for me?”

Me: “Sure, you just click right here—” *clicks PRODUCE button* “—and click on the banana picture. All the produce is listed in here and is in alphabetical order.”

Lady: “Oh, thank you!”

(I start to head back to my cash register and not two seconds later, she calls me again.)

Lady: “I can’t seem to find the zucchini. Can you help me again?”

(I help her find her zucchini as well as about fifteen other produce items. After the produce, she proceeds to have me scan every other item in her shopping cart, because she can’t seem to get them to scan. Finally, after about ten minutes, she finishes and starts to pay.)

Lady: “Gosh, I just wish these things didn’t take so long.”

Me: “I know the self scans can be tricky sometimes, so if you’d like, the next time you come in, I can ring you out at my cash register. The cash registers are a lot quicker than the self scans; I could have your order done in less than two minutes.”

Lady: “Oh, no, it’s okay, honey. I like doing it myself!”

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

WrenP-Complete posted:

I think I've told this story in this thread, but after learning self defense and basics of Tai Chi, Aikido, Krav Maga, two guys tried to mug me, I broke a nose and started shouting, and then called 911 on myself, sobbing. The 911 operator explained what happened to me, and everything was (relatively) fine. Don't get into real fights; it's horrible.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
LOL if you aren't throwing CHI-BLASTS right at the heart of your enemy with bad rear end Tai Chi skills you learned from an old Chinese lady at the park

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous

e_angst posted:

Seriously. The majority of real fights look something like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jepe68XC6tU.
Dennys is the best. I can't decide who I love more, the old woman who jumps in the middle of the fight, or the guy who just keeps eating.

WrenP-Complete posted:

Maybe someday I'll learn my lesson. :)
Aw, i thought the story was sweet. It made me laugh at least.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

oldpainless posted:

the amygdala

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
But I killed her in Bloodborne?

And man, Krav Maga "just" being really painful crotch shots takes a lot of mystique out of it. :saddowns:

TheShrike
Oct 30, 2010

You mechs may have copper wiring to re-route your fear of pain, but I've got nerves of steel.

sweeperbravo posted:

the amygdala

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

oldpainless posted:

Some dude called me a fag, we're meeting behind the gym after school to settle this like men!

Furia
Jul 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

WrenP-Complete posted:

She, please.

And thanks, I'm also pretty sure it was here, I don't read the martial arts thread.

Sorry, didn't mean to be rude

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

poptart_fairy posted:

But I killed her in Bloodborne?

And man, Krav Maga "just" being really painful crotch shots takes a lot of mystique out of it. :saddowns:

The Legend of The Cockpuncher!

Solid Cake
Jan 17, 2008

TRAPPED IN QUANTUM CHOCOLATE SINGULARITY!
SEND HELP!
Pillbug

I don't understand how people fall for these kinds of things. You can clearly see where it has been (terribly) edited in MSPaint or something.

Butt Detective
Mar 24, 2013

Only the dead can know peace from these hats.

I know these are fake texts, but this is exactly the kind of thing my dad would do, considering I've walked into my room to see things like this on several occasions over the years

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Another Tumblr story that starts off kinda realistic and then ventures off into "Nobody speaks like that" territory.

quote:

Okay STORY TIME

so I was walking back from work around nineish and my neighbor/seminar classmate is in the hallway talking to his girlfriend. he sees me and he’s like “hey!! hey classmate whose name I don’t know” so I turned around and was like “it’s Hayley.”

and he apologized for not knowing (I didn’t know his name either so I wasn’t mad) and asked if I’d started my first paper for seminar. he asked me what it was on so I told him and he was like “I’m so stuck I have no idea what to do,” so clearly the natural response for my stupid rear end to make is to offer him help – I told him to knock on our door and ask for me if he needed help.

maybe I did this because I was still in tutor mode from work. maybe I did it because no one takes those offers up anyway, right?

wrong! a half an hour later, as I’m getting ready to shower, he knocks for the door and asks for me, and all my roommates don’t believe him bc he’s this dude bro who clearly works out and is wearing a johnny cash tshirt. like how fake deep is that. i would never associate with a dude bro

so he invites me back to his place and as I’m walking there I’m like “this could very possibly be a bad idea,” but I go anyway bc I’m a dumbass with no sense of self preservation.

he lets me into his apartment and I’m immediately hit with the bro-ness of it all: a sports illustrated poster on the wall, protein powder EVERYWHERE, posters of beer, snap backs, flasks, and a guitar because of course there is.

his room is no better, and alarm bells are just loving going off and I’m trying to think of a quick exit. then he tries to close his drat door to his own room and I’m like “hold up that stays open” and he was like “oh yeah I’m sorry I didn’t think about that,” which was….considerate.

two hours, two cigarette breaks later, one opening paragraph later, and one of his roommates trying to hit on me later, he starts talking about intersectionality and my mind goes ?????????????? and we legit talked about rape culture and trump and how hosed we all are. eventually we started talking about the law and feminism so then I tell him I’m gay and his immediate response is “do you get those stupid microagressions from guys who say they can turn you straight?” and it took me a minute to respond bc the fact he even knew that word was so bizarre it was like worlds colliding.

he then tells me he thinks his little sister might be gay because he thinks she told him while he was drunk one night but he couldn’t remember so he asks for advice because he doesn’t want to upset her because, in his words, “I’m not gay so you know I don’t understand it like you do.”

then, because the night of course could get weirder, he tells me he writes poetry but doesn’t tell anyone because he’ll get poo poo for it bc he’s supposed to be a “tough guy” and masculine and poo poo and I just feel Jesus sending me a message through this kid that I shouldn’t judge all dude bros by the bro-ness of their looks but I also wanna stay sexy and not get murdered so I’m gonna keep doing that. sorry jesus.

finally I left because I was tired and also I had to wash the smell of bad cologne off of me but guys this was an experience please believe me. i was standing in the shower before just letting the water wash over me as the whole two hour ordeal played over in my head because we laughed, we talked. he told me something about himself no one else knows, we exchanged political ideas and fist bumps. we bonded over the stress of a seminar paper and now we are forever changed by this event.

so that was how my dumb lesbian rear end willingly walked into a room with four dudebros in it.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

ugghhhh

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

chitoryu12 posted:

Another Tumblr story that starts off kinda realistic and then ventures off into "Nobody speaks like that" territory.

I don't know if it's the intent of the writer, but it comes off as a story about the writer being a judgemental shitbag considering their criteria for an undesirable is "works out" and "owns a guitar". Not even going into the whole "this guy taught me dudebros aren't bad, but also dudebros are terrible and murders" thing.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

chitoryu12 posted:

This person comes off like such a poo poo.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Butt Detective posted:

I know these are fake texts, but this is exactly the kind of thing my dad would do, considering I've walked into my room to see things like this on several occasions over the years

[

The cat gives no gently caress about your dad's silliness/dagginess. He just likes the comfy cushion.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!

Xen Tricks
Nov 4, 2010
My coworker then proceeds to get immediately fired and I'm written up for safety violations as well.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
Did you know that jocks can actually be good people and sometimes even smart as well? I know, I know, it sounds fake, but trust me on this.

Nerds! :argh:

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

Why yes, I always quote movie lines to my boss after breaking a $25,000 piece of equipment. He's a Sherwhovian and appreciates my clever repartee.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid

chitoryu12 posted:

I wish she would have ended the story with

"and then we made out, as I realized my lesbianism had been cured "

I mean, if you're going to sound like a piece of poo poo just go all out.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

e_angst posted:

And suddenly, the thread encounters a wild Economist!

:vince:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Dreddout posted:

Some dude called me a fag, we're meeting behind the gym after school to settle this like men!

But enough about sex.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
Not to beat the dead horse of martial arts chat, but Bruce Lee specifically created Jeet Kun Do because all the other main martial arts styles he encountered were full of "if your opponent does X, you do Y" rigid form over usefulness. Which then becomes funny as Lee's on book on the subject is full of the exact same thing.

To make things more on topic, Lee's biography is chock full of stdh. My favorite is the part about him being raised poor on the streets of Hong Kong, where teen gangs would have rooftop kung fu battles. *cue archival footage of him as a child actor, and traveling with his (iirc) internationally successful opera singer father*

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

There are some great comments under the youtube video about knife fights. While the majority are sensible, there's a significant minority of people claiming that they definitely could beat a knife using aikido or whatever.

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010

Non Serviam posted:

I wish she would have ended the story with

"and then we made out, as I realized my lesbianism had been cured "

I mean, if you're going to sound like a piece of poo poo just go all out.

Flip the author in the story and the guy definitely would have made the claim (although dude seemed pretty cool, even from the start before he became a deep philosopher).

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
Yeah knives ain't no laughing matter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYwd0Wus5Ik

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Training videos like this are probably why so many people get shot.

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING
I've seen enough Arnie movies where I reckon if they ever build a time machine, the first thing they should do is send me to the Somme. I would turn that sucker about in a day - a single day.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

"people investing so much" says the person getting up early on the weekend and wasting gas to drive to a place for 1-2 hours just to make fun of the people who sincerely want to be there.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Fedoras (or trilbies or whatever) are bad enough, but it's especially baffling when these people wearing them with t-shirts and jeans. Like, at least wear a suit if you're going for the whole "1940's salaryman" look.

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!
but, how will they wear their bitingly hysterical t-shirts then?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

they are aware that plenty of christians will punch you right in the face aren't they?