Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
Is this Gearwrench tap and die set a good buy? I've been trawling ebay and craigslist for older USA made sets, but everything I've found so far either looks pretty clapped out, is missing pieces, or is exorbitantly expensive. Am I correct in assuming that I'm better off skipping the HF sets?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
I had luck with the HF set but I only used it for cleaning up existing corroded threads, not for making new ones or some high precision thing.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Same. The taps themselves in the HF sets are fine for occasional use, but the handles are total garbage.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I've always had great luck with Vermont American and Irwin taps and dies. HF... yeah, nope, maybe I was using a bad set from them but they were loving trash even for 6061 aluminum.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

OSU_Matthew posted:

Is this Gearwrench tap and die set a good buy? I've been trawling ebay and craigslist for older USA made sets, but everything I've found so far either looks pretty clapped out, is missing pieces, or is exorbitantly expensive. Am I correct in assuming that I'm better off skipping the HF sets?

I have a gearwrenchtap and die set and haven't had any issues. I haven't used it that much, though.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
I've only used a few Irwin taps, but they worked well in everything I tapped with them. Making custom brass fittings, tapping a hole in my front diff housing, etc.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!
Anybody have an opinion on SPG International tool chests, specifically the VRB-5610 Tech Series roller cabinets? I'm shopping to replace my overflowing 26" Craftsman stack, so I can sell it off and get all my tools into one unit. I've looked at the Masterforce (Menards) and US General (HF) cabinets in the same size range, but for an extra couple hundred bucks I can jump to the International, which is 24" deep vs 20" for the others.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost

OSU_Matthew posted:

I have HF sets and Gearwrench sets. I think the HF sets are perfectly adequate for chasing threads, and the Gearwrench sets are perfectly adequate for cutting threads. Cutting with the HF sets are painful but possible. Use a lot of cutting lubricant and they work.

The HF taps and dies are ok but the holders are very chintzy.

I like the Gearwrench holders a lot, except the ratcheting handle has the wrong feel to me. The flat part of the handle is perpendicular to the tap. It makes it feel easy to apply downward pressure, which breaks taps. I wish the handles were parallel to the tap.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

SNiPER_Magnum posted:

I have HF sets and Gearwrench sets. I think the HF sets are perfectly adequate for chasing threads, and the Gearwrench sets are perfectly adequate for cutting threads. Cutting with the HF sets are painful but possible. Use a lot of cutting lubricant and they work.

The HF taps and dies are ok but the holders are very chintzy.

I like the Gearwrench holders a lot, except the ratcheting handle has the wrong feel to me. The flat part of the handle is perpendicular to the tap. It makes it feel easy to apply downward pressure, which breaks taps. I wish the handles were parallel to the tap.

Thanks! That's what I was mainly curious about. I've got a nice Kastar thread restorer kit from sears that's worked great for cleaning up bunged threads, but there's stuff every so often that I need to cut threads for, like the replacement j-bolt on my battery clamp. Every time I see taps mentioned somewhere, the discussion usually revolves around how painful to use cheaper taps are, and that ratcheting bit looks like it'd be a lot easier to use.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

So after watching this, I want an oscilloscope to add to my tool kit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfa01FFCsUQ

Is there anything that is "good enough" for automotive-style work or should I just sack up and get a Rigol?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

IOwnCalculus posted:

Is there anything that is "good enough" for automotive-style work or should I just sack up and get a Rigol?
I have a "pocket" one that's made in China in the casing from a generic MP3 player or something, but never actually found a reason to use it yet.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

IOwnCalculus posted:

Check your local flea markets and ebay, see if you can pick up an old Tektronix in working condition for under 100. Unless you really want a DSO one (which is fair...) in which case I dunno, I don't own fancy poo poo like that yet, but people I trust say that Rigols are OK.

They're also great for testing ABS wheel speed sensors, crank and cam position sensors, etc.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
I have an older HP DSO (2-channel, still has a CRT and GPIB) that I think I paid $100 for. Good middle spot for me between $40 broken shitscopes and $400 brand new Chinese scopes. Although those Rigols etc do have things like FFT and firmware-locked sample rate, so maybe they're not so bad. I guess I'm just prejudiced against low-end LCD scopes after using some really garbage ones at the junior college.

ZincBoy
May 7, 2006

Think again Jimmy!

kastein posted:

Check your local flea markets and ebay, see if you can pick up an old Tektronix in working condition for under 100. Unless you really want a DSO one (which is fair...) in which case I dunno, I don't own fancy poo poo like that yet, but people I trust say that Rigols are OK.

They're also great for testing ABS wheel speed sensors, crank and cam position sensors, etc.

Agreed. I have a Rigol DS1054z hacked to have all of the options. It is a great help diagnosing electrical issues. I just wish it had a CAN bus decoder. The main advantage is that it is quite light and small. Most of the vintage gear will have quite a bit of mass and won't fit into small space well (like measuring signals under the dash).

The Rigol compares well against the older Tek DPO3000 series scopes we have kicking around at work.

Eikre
May 2, 2009
Goons, I've got a bunch of wireless equipment around here that runs on double-As, and though I have plans to start moving the office to cradle-mounted recharging equipment, I would really like a way to stop going through so many loving alkaline batteries.

Can anybody make a recommendation for a big 20-battery AA recharging rack that I can drill into the wall next to my supply closet, and also gimme the skinny on how much I should be spending on brand name to ensure that my office doesn't burn down in a knock-off related battery charging catastrophe? I haven't needed to make a purchase like this since my Gameboy Color.

...It would be kind of nice if the recharging rack could handle a 9V and a coupe AAAs, too, but not really necessary.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

costco, eneloops. I don't think they do 9vs, but the AAs will run for like 6 years being drained and charged daily.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

Powershift posted:

costco, eneloops. I don't think they do 9vs, but the AAs will run for like 6 years being drained and charged daily.

Their Eneloop packs are on sale until 10/23, FYI. 8xAA/4xAAA for something like $23. If you want C/D/9v things get a bit more complicated, unfortunately.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
This is what I've got at my desk for charging all the AA/AAA batteries my office uses for the wireless mice and keyboards:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00ZYTX93M?psc=1

Also seconding eneloops. Regular NiMH batteries self discharge at 1-2% a day, even without any load. Eneloops have protection for that built in, just a much better battery than al the craptastic other ones we've tried, such as energizer or Amazon basics.

If these are for business use, the extra expense is easily justified in the amount of headache you'll avoid.

Catatron Prime fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Oct 19, 2016

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I picked up some Amazon Basics rechargeable AAs and have been using them in my Xbone controller. They're cheaper than Eneloops and seem to work just fine. Granted, I use them almost solely in various remotes.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I just replaced my rechargeable Duracells which lasted a lot of years being used in 360 controllers, with Amazon rechargeables. I can recommend both. Actually three of the Duracells are still working fine.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UuEsy75KMN4

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

I love my queerboy kobalt box cutter for fags. I use it nearly every day to open my amazon boxes. Also just checked but mine is a mere 4.65oz

The added weight has really helped me tone up my exceptionally limp wrists.

peepsalot fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Oct 19, 2016

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.
Since I use mine chiefly for opening boxes, I use those $0.49 ones they usually have at the cash register at Harbor Freight. Lighter than anything in that video as well :smug:

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

I got a flip one like that Kobalt from HF and almost sliced my hand open the first time I used it. I wouldn't recommend. Replaced it with a Milwaukee flip knife that works good.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
i have this one and it's fantastic

https://www.amazon.com/Alltrade-150003-Auto-Loading-Squeeze-Utility/dp/B0000TMLX0

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
Back when I did ordering for the OR, I bought one that was also a butterfly knife off of some weird, Web 1.0 site. That thing was so much fun until a screw came out of the blade housing and launched a fresh boxcutter blade into a $15,000 piece of surgical equipment. I also chopped through my fingernail and fingertip on accident.

I make good decisions

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
You guys are dangerous. I used one of the Kobalt knives for about a year to breakdown boxes before buying a SOG Twitch. Thing I disliked about the Kobalt is that its bulkier and slower than a traditional box cutter.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
Stanley 99. Dad has one. I have one. Just loving works.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

wormil posted:

You guys are dangerous. I used one of the Kobalt knives for about a year to breakdown boxes before buying a SOG Twitch. Thing I disliked about the Kobalt is that its bulkier and slower than a traditional box cutter.

Twitch II is probably my favorite EDC. But I've lost like 6 of those fuckers, so I've moved onto the Kershaw Cryo 1555ti. I've only lost 2 of them and have one for beating on, and one that stays sharp and pretty.
They're a pretty tough knife. It's got just enough meat to it to shuck clams and cut drywall and carpet.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
The Stanley Instant Change models are good.

I use a Fatmax twin blade, it's really useful being able to have two different types of blade in one knife.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
Hands up who replaces the blades as soon as they go blunt.

And hands up those who are too lazy and end up always using something with the same edge as a butter knife.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

I replace the blades all the time because they are cheap and I have a couple 100-packs floating around the house. Cuts so much nicer when new.

I have owned more utility knives than I can even remember, unfortunately the best ones seem to get discontinued immediately and have loose pocket clips while the shittiest ones have the best pocket clips and remain in my possession.

DoubleT2172
Sep 24, 2007

Anyone have a hydraulic floor jack recommendation? Looking for something dependable and inexpensive. Have a harbor freight, O'Reillys, AutoZone, and Sears nearby. For a 300zx so 3500ish lbs

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

I've used a husky folding utility knife from home depot for about 5 years now.
I use it at work for opening boxes and for flour bags. I found the best blades for my purpose are the serrated ones. Regular blades go dull in about a week the serrated ones can go a month or two before needing to change it.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

DoubleT2172 posted:

Anyone have a hydraulic floor jack recommendation? Looking for something dependable and inexpensive. Have a harbor freight, O'Reillys, AutoZone, and Sears nearby. For a 300zx so 3500ish lbs

Check costco

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
I'm pretty fond of the Gerber EAB for general carrying around and opening boxes with.

I'm not going to cut up carpet or anything with it, but it very pocketable for daily use.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

DoubleT2172 posted:

Harbor freight steel low profile

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

slidebite posted:

Check costco

Seconded, the current hybrid jack they have is very nice. The only thing I don't like about it is the max lift height, which wasn't an issue on anything until I got my Jeep. Even with just a 2" spacer lift, I need to put a 2x4 on the saddle to be able to get through all of the articulation and lift a wheel without actually jacking it from the axle.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

slidebite posted:

Check costco

Seconding, especially since the handle can double as a breaker bar if you really need it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

IOwnCalculus posted:

Seconded, the current hybrid jack they have is very nice. The only thing I don't like about it is the max lift height, which wasn't an issue on anything until I got my Jeep. Even with just a 2" spacer lift, I need to put a 2x4 on the saddle to be able to get through all of the articulation and lift a wheel without actually jacking it from the axle.

Just jack it from the axle. They suffer larger forces going over bumps.