Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kumaton
Mar 6, 2013

OWLBEARS, SON
I've been playing a ton of Overwatch the past few days, and I could go on about how it's a super good game, but I really do like how the game icon on your taskbar flashes when you're alt-tabbed whenever you respawn or get revived.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Vermintide also does that when a player joins your lobby, and dark souls 2 does it when you get summoned. Both of those games alt-tab fabulously since they have borderless windowed, so it's really handy.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Kumaton posted:

I've been playing a ton of Overwatch the past few days, and I could go on about how it's a super good game, but I really do like how the game icon on your taskbar flashes when you're alt-tabbed whenever you respawn or get revived.

you're dead for 10 seconds in Overwatch man, how impatient or stimulus- starved are you

Kumaton
Mar 6, 2013

OWLBEARS, SON

Efexeye posted:

you're dead for 10 seconds in Overwatch man, how impatient or stimulus- starved are you

Unironically very. Also I'm used to games with long/indefinite death periods so I'm still getting used to how fast-paced it is.

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest
just turn off the killcam and watch your allies run around then, that way you have some idea of what's happening while youre dead

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

quite stretched out posted:

just turn off the killcam and watch your allies run around then, that way you have some idea of what's happening while youre dead

I've found this to be very bad for my morale.

I would rather believe my teammates are functionally blind, deaf, and unware of what "teammates" and "the objective" are than see it confirmed for me everytime I find myself abandoned on the payload as Rein or chased past several teammates as Mercy.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

quite stretched out posted:

Oh god the number of times I've been iced by a Mei, only to watch as she walks up behind my oblivious team and ices them from behind one by one...

What I'm saying is that people never loving turn around.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

ShootaBoy posted:

Oh god the number of times I've been iced by a Mei, only to watch as she walks up behind my oblivious team and ices them from behind one by one...

What I'm saying is that people never loving turn around.

You should have warned them. You're complicit in war crimes.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
https://vine.co/v/OE5MW9V9d3q

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Videogame characters having enough fidelity to react to their own glitches is always the best.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJkCWQcZYKo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-FjEF1p_G4

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
One of the characters in Overwatch has a freeze gun that operates like a flamethrower but freezes people solid instead. It also has a secondary fire that creates an icicle and fires it. There's a slight delay before it fires because the icicle is being created in the gun. What's cool is when you fire an icicle the 25 ammo is not instantly deducted from your clip, but rapidly ticks down as the icicle is made. Really nice touch i thought.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

The fact you apparently can't catch Pokémon when you're going driving speed anymore. The rage is just fantastic

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Now wait until they come out with Pokemon Safari, the app that lets you catch Pokemon only at driving speed, and come full circle by having exclusive Pokemon in both that you have to trade.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

My Lovely Horse posted:

Now wait until they come out with Pokemon Safari, the app that lets you catch Pokemon only at driving speed, and come full circle by having exclusive Pokemon in both that you have to trade.

Either traffic accidents will skyrocket, or public transport systems will become fantastic.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Cleretic posted:

Either traffic accidents will skyrocket, or public transport systems will become fantastic.

I would expect accidents because the launch will be riddled with bugs and only count 55mph as driving speed.

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

Len posted:

I would expect accidents because the launch will be riddled with bugs and only count 55mph as driving speed.

You must go over 55 miles per hour for the game to open, and stay above that speed to catch Pokemon. If you go below 55, the game closes and you lose all of your progress.

POP QUIZ, HOT SHOT!

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Pokémon gaaaaaaaahhhh!

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Len posted:

The fact you apparently can't catch Pokémon when you're going driving speed anymore. The rage is just fantastic

But...it's always been like that? Day one, if you were going over 12mph it disabled everything.

Cory Parsnipson
Nov 15, 2015
Trap sprung, BITCH.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

But...it's always been like that? Day one, if you were going over 12mph it disabled everything.

No? I was given the phone while my girlfriend drove to catch Pokémon as we went down the road. Apparently now they don't spawn anymore.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

From day one if you were going above 12 mph your spawns were greatly reduced to prevent having an advantage over walking players, but otherwise it was still functional and pokestops still worked.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Schneider Inside Her posted:

One of the characters in Overwatch has a freeze gun that operates like a flamethrower but freezes people solid instead. It also has a secondary fire that creates an icicle and fires it. There's a slight delay before it fires because the icicle is being created in the gun. What's cool is when you fire an icicle the 25 ammo is not instantly deducted from your clip, but rapidly ticks down as the icicle is made. Really nice touch i thought.

She can also encase herself in ice as a way to heal and avoid damage. If someone uses an ability that reveals player positions, you can see her curled up into a ball in her little ice shelter :3:

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

Len posted:

riddled with butterfrees

Tardcore
Jan 24, 2011

Not cool enough for the Spider-man club.

Away all Goats posted:

She can also encase herself in ice as a way to heal and avoid damage. If someone uses an ability that reveals player positions, you can see her curled up into a ball in her little ice shelter :3:

When I was running the game off integrated graphics sometimes it would take a second for the iceblock to load in so I'd just see her sort of floating in a midair fetal position

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Tardcore posted:

When I was running the game off integrated graphics sometimes it would take a second for the iceblock to load in so I'd just see her sort of floating in a midair fetal position

I'm having issues with my computer, so I often get some "hilarious" loading issues.

Twice, victory poses didn't load, so every model was in T-pose.

Regularly, the "Prepare your defenses/to attack" screen doesn't come up after the map loads and I get booted for inactivity.

Sometimes models and sound effects don't load.

Anyway, switching to on topic stuff, I love all the little physics toys and dumb things they give you to do during setup if you're on the attacking team in Overwatch.

I also love that you see the character's hands move if you do the "Hello" voice command (both in the first-person and in the world).

And the dozens of weird little voice line interactions (Jack and Ana talking about being "not-dead", Winston's line about peanut butter, and my favorite: if you have two Tracers on your team during setup, she'll express concern that her temporal stabalizer is not working right.

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
One of the characters McCree is an old west style gunslinger and his ultimate ability causes him to holster his pistol and say "It's High Noon" then draw his pistol and shoot anyone he has locked onto long enough. What is cool is the game will generate a tumbleweed at his position whenever he uses his ult.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

One of the characters McCree is an old west style gunslinger and his ultimate ability causes him to holster his pistol and say "It's High Noon" then draw his pistol and shoot anyone he has locked onto long enough. What is cool is the game will generate a tumbleweed at his position whenever he uses his ult.

Also, if you have enough targets (like in the current Horde mode, or in practice), McCree can shoot more bullets than his gun can hold in one go, upon activating ult.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Tangential fact: McCree's voice actor is a huge fan of the game and regularly plays it. Every so often, he'll turn on voice chat and, in McCree's voice, say "It's high noon!" and watch his team scatter.

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

Matt Mercer right? He's got a video of him doing that iirc.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
dragon quest heroes

healix, the healslime mascot of the team, has a flashback where his father gives him an important heirloom.

i love that his dad has a dadstache, and does the slime puns like his son.

healix taking a hit from the final boss for his friends.

healix is loving awesome.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Shame about his voice though

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

Away all Goats posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fRjIDQ6cWLs

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
One cool little thing about Overwatch is that the models have different facial expressions while doing things and their mouths move while calling out ultimates and such. You'd never see it, and other people will only see it if they're super close to you while you're doing an ult (which generally doesn't happen), but it's there.

Wintermutant
Oct 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum

Neito posted:

I also love that you see the character's hands move if you do the "Hello" voice command (both in the first-person and in the world).

I also love that they bothered to give Junkrat two different Hello animations, depending on whether or not he's holding his detonator in his hand.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Aren't the voice callouts in whatever character's foreign language if you're on the opposing team, but in English if it's the same team?

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

i'm amazed this far into the game's release that people still don't know there are different voice cues for ults depending on which team the ulting player is on

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Efexeye posted:

i'm amazed this far into the game's release that people still don't know there are different voice cues for ults depending on which team the ulting player is on

I had the game for a month before I realized that :downs:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Aren't the voice callouts in whatever character's foreign language if you're on the opposing team, but in English if it's the same team?

Not for every character, but mostly yes. It's noticeable for Mei, Genji and Hanzo when they pop their ults. Every character has two alternate lines for their Ult; one for when they're on your team and one for when you're about to get your poo poo kicked in.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

Efexeye posted:

I think McCree is the only one for whom that's not true? And maybe Ana, who I don't think has a voice line for her ult that the other team hears?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

McCree has "it's high noon" and "step right up" (friendly). Ana has Arabic and English (friendly) lines. In fact, she has two English lines: one for when someone on your team is nanoboosted, the other for when YOU are the one being boosted.

Mierenneuker has a new favorite as of 17:14 on Oct 18, 2016