Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Oop my bad. All those old white dudes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

:drat: Nice work Penny

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

https://twitter.com/jstorycarter/status/787945126878339072?s=09

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Surely Leyonhjelm could ask for more than overturning the import ban on the Adler. I'd assume it'd just be banned again as soon as the ABCC legislation gets through anyway, they wouldn't need his support to do that.

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

you wont believe what he's done to our fat-kids

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
New $83k luggage lift installed at The Lodge so bags don't have to be carried up stairs

Malcolm Turnbull and all future prime ministers can now avoid hauling their political baggage up and down the "pretty precarious" staircase at the official Canberra residence, The Lodge.
The lift forms part of the $11.6 million overhaul of The Lodge which took almost three years to complete, after starting with a budget of just over $3 million.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-10-17/the-lodge-receives-special-luggage-lift/7938726

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

QUACKTASTIC posted:

New $83k luggage lift installed at The Lodge so bags don't have to be carried up stairs

Malcolm Turnbull and all future prime ministers can now avoid hauling their political baggage up and down the "pretty precarious" staircase at the official Canberra residence, The Lodge.
The lift forms part of the $11.6 million overhaul of The Lodge which took almost three years to complete, after starting with a budget of just over $3 million.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-10-17/the-lodge-receives-special-luggage-lift/7938726

dumb waiter for dumb pms

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Solemn Sloth posted:

lmao at not unironically supporting a violent purge of the baby boomers on a scale that would make stalin blush
1962 means I'm Gen X right? I really want to get behind this plan but I need some clarity here.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Cartoon posted:

1962 means I'm Gen X right? I really want to get behind this plan but I need some clarity here.

You're basically on the cusp of Boomer -> Gen Xer

Pick which one you identify with more

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

I'm proud of you, Bender. Sure, you lost. You lost bad. But the important thing is I beat up someone who hurt my feelings in high school.

starkebn posted:

Pick which one gets you more stuff.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

fiery_valkyrie posted:

Pick which one gets you more stuff.

Can I be a boomer too in that case?

Oh wait I already missed free education, healthcare and cheap housing.

poo poo.

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.

Kommando posted:

:allears: Wong for PM.

Not even kidding. If the right lost their poo poo over Julia Gillard being PM while female, imagine how beautiful their reaction would be with a gay Asian woman as PM.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

starkebn posted:

Been nice knowing you all then. I was born a filthy hippie and that's how I'm going out.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Bargearse posted:

Not even kidding. If the right lost their poo poo over Julia Gillard being PM while female, imagine how beautiful their reaction would be with a gay Asian woman as PM.

Wong for PM

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Bargearse posted:

Just as Pauline prophesied.

MiniSune
Sep 16, 2003

Smart like Dodo!

Phoneposting.

Remember Labor's 'debt and deficit disaster'? The Coalition's is infinitely worse   Alan Austin
Economics reporter    

Friday night’s news arrived much sooner than anyone expected. Posted downpage on a Treasury website was the news Australia’s gross debt was now above $450 billion. Another Finance Department document released quietly that night showed net debt had smashed through the $300 billion barrier. Both have been met with deafening media silence.

These confirm the Turnbull government has lost control of Australia’s revenue, deficit and debt. Or at least, that’s what the news means to those who understand it.

Recent sudden surge

In less than four months this financial year, the gross debt blow-out has been more than $30 billion. That’s more than $8 billion per month. In comparison, the Rudd government’s borrowings from 2007 to 2010 to deal with the onset of the global financial crisis averaged only $2.79 billion per month. The Gillard administration also borrowed to manage a smooth recovery from the GFC. Its monthly average was $3.42 billion overall, but down to $1.19 billion over its last six months.

Despite solemn promises to reduce debt, the Abbott government’s borrowings rocketed after the 2013 election, averaging $4.85 billion per month until both the PM and his hapless treasurer Joe Hockey were ejected. The central reason for Turnbull’s leadership challenge was that Abbott “has not been capable of providing the economic leadership our nation needs”.

The dismal data

Gross debt is now $450.79 billion. This is $173.4 billion higher than the $277.4 billion Labor left in September 2013 — up 62.5%.

Net debt was $312.3 billion at the end of August. This is $137.7 billion above Labor’s $174.6 billion legacy — up 78.9%.

Interest bill doubled

Taxpayers paid $1.26 billion in net interest in July and again in August, or $40.7 million per day. It will be higher henceforward.

In its last financial year, 2012-13, Labor paid $8.28 billion. The Coalition paid $12.0 billion in the year just ended, an increase of 45.3%. Budgeted interest expense for this financial year is $16.64 billion, more than double Labor’s last full-year bill.

Global comparisons

Looking abroad, most well-managed economies are steadily reducing their debt. Only 11 of the 34 wealthy members of the Organisation for Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD) have increased debt in each of the last three years. Of these, only five have expanded it by more than 5.5% since 2013: Finland, Japan, Mexico, Slovenia and Australia.

Outside the OECD, the Philippines, Vietnam, Hong Kong, Taiwan, Libya and several others are steadily reducing debt and interest payments as the global recovery gathers pace.

Which brings us to the craven hypocrisy of Australia’s mainstream media.

Media silence

Throughout Labor’s term, significant debt milestones were emblazoned across the front pages. Labor’s “debt and deficit disaster” and “debt spiralling out of control” were recurrent and dominant stories.

Sydney’s Daily Telegraph ran an attack in 2013 headed “The Labor Party’s debt timebomb” with former treasurer Peter Costello “forcing this debate into the public forum”.

The Herald Sun headed a shock horror editorial “Labor’s debt bomb”. The 2013 pre-Christmas fiscal outlook, it claimed, gave Australians “a shocking insight into the state of the national economy. The news is not good. It’s terrible.”

Gross debt then was only $296 billion. But, still, “the massive debt Australia now faces is due, absolutely, to Labor’s financial mismanagement”.

And on they went, in The Courier-Mail, the Australian Financial Review, the ABC, online outlets and virtually everywhere else.

Curiously, no screaming headlines today, no calls for public debate and no hint that this might be a shocking insight into anything.

Final comment

It is quite acceptable for most countries, including Australia, to have some gross borrowings. Even Norway, with its net surplus above 188% of GDP, carries some gross debt. Some net debt is also acceptable. But condemning one administration when debt reaches $250 billion during the worst recession in 80 years, but ignoring another notching up $450 billion during the global recovery is not acceptable.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Imagine being Australian woaw

quote:

The government of Nauru has labelled the ABC "an embarrassment to journalism" following a Four Corners report on the island's regional processing system, accusing the broadcaster of racism, political activism and insulting residents.

Notoriously sensitive to criticism, the Nauruan government asserted Australia was in fact the more violent nation and said the ABC should instead campaign for "no refugees to be allowed into such a violent society as Australia".

In its statement, the Republic of Nauru's "media and public information" unit claimed the children who appeared in the program were "coached" and the interview process "stage-managed". Despite this, "viewers could clearly see that the refugees featured were well dressed, well-groomed and healthy", the statement said.

No children were in detention on Nauru, the government said. This is technically true because the processing facility is designated as an "open centre" and asylum seekers are free to move around the 21 square kilometre island. The government said children generally lived with their families in safe accommodation close to shops, and that Nauru was less violent than Australia.

"There are fights in Australian schools on a daily basis and there is crime in Australia. The Australian news shows acts of crime each night that are far more violent that anything Nauru has experienced," the statement said.

"So on this basis, Four Corners should be campaigning for no refugees to be allowed into such a violent society as Australia. Clearly they would not advocate this because it would – in context – be incorrect, yet they are willing to falsely portray Nauru as an unsafe nation, which it is not."

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

There's no way the Nauruan government wrote that. It came straight from the immigration department.

It's also dumb as poo poo. Nauruan schools aren't good enough for Nauruan children.

I mean their own statement on literacy from their census report is full of errors.

http://www.spc.int/nmdi/nmdi_documents/2011_NAURU_CENSUS_REPORT.pdf

open24hours fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Oct 18, 2016

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/CliveFPalmer/status/788127581413314561

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

starkebn posted:

I know that they get to pick the questions but half of them sounded like plants. The questions were straight out of facebook comments.

That's essentially the point. They want to appear bi-partisan. So not only do they choose a representative audience, they also choose questions which are representative of the talking points and semiotics used by the parties. The show is designed to be at this level of garbage.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Day and his company donated more than $1.7m to Family First between 2010 and 2015.

:iiam: how it collapsed

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Well, Day did think of Family..... First! :v:

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Is it possible that the Coalition is increasing debt on purpose to make it a timebomb that'll blow up under Labor giving future LNP leaders 10 thousand years of Tory Rule?

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Anidav posted:

Is it possible that the Coalition is increasing debt on purpose to make it a timebomb that'll blow up under Labor giving future LNP leaders 10 thousand years of Tory Rule?

Hanlon's Razor says no

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Anidav posted:

Does that answer the question?

E;FB

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
God he looks a lot younger there. I guess masturbating to torture ages people.

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

make australia great again as well please
Our budget has a structural deficit as a result of the Howard cuts. The reason we don't hear about it is because someone, at some point, is going to have to raise taxes. Or address the generous negative gearing/capital gains/superannuation etc concessions.

Sure as gently caress won't be a Liberal government.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
Q: Could you perhaps explain to people who don’t own guns why one would need a shotgun that can carry 10 bullets instead of five? What is the practical purpose?

A: I am a libertarian and I don’t answer questions like that. My response to that is, why shouldn’t they have a shotgun that carries more than five rounds?

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Those who have deleted Something Wonky from your podcast list, Jeremy Seer has posted a short podcast about his new podcast - Well May We Say

http://www.wellmaywesay.com

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe
First Dog:

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

I'm amazed they don't just amend the law so that lever actions are treated the same way as pump actions. Labor would presumably support it and gun rights aren't a vote winner in this country anyway.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

open24hours posted:

I'm amazed they don't just amend the law so that lever actions are treated the same way as pump actions. Labor would presumably support it and gun rights aren't a vote winner in this country anyway.

Because they desperately need crossbench support in order to execute the poor their policies.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

They've already reneged on the deal to lift the import ban. If they're willing to do that I can't see how tightening up the law so this doesn't have to be done in an ad hoc way everytime a new gun comes on the market would make it any worse.

[EDIT: Apparently they are going to reclassify it.
Mr Turnbull accused the Opposition of creating a distraction from the Government's industrial relations reforms.

He said the ban would remain in place until such time as there was a satisfactory reclassification of these guns by the COAG committee.]

open24hours fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Oct 18, 2016

Ixnay on the Omelet
Sep 11, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
"new"

It's a clone of an 1887 design.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winchester_Model_1887/1901

Ixnay on the Omelet fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Oct 18, 2016

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

good to see The Age is still dedicated to quality journalism in this day and age

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
Is there anywhere you can easily see or list all the tax cuts vs tax increases since Howard got in? Or before, I don't care.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
hold on what foods affect the smell of my farts???????

Night Shade
Jan 13, 2013

Old School

Recoome posted:

halal snack packs

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Recoome posted:

your posts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

you aren't supposed to eat those, you'll get sick

• Locked thread