Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Agrinja
Nov 30, 2013

Praise the Sun!

Total Clam
Thank you! And thank you for the link. I did clip the corners in most places, and trim the seam allowances in some places, part of my trouble is that in construction, I went entirely across with the zipper, so I couldn't knock off much there. I think next time I may also make the liner ever so slightly smaller.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goldaline
Dec 21, 2006

my dear
That is a Good Zipper for a first zipper! Heck, I'm still kind of bad at zippers, and will use any excuse to avoid them.

Status Update: The Spikening is about halfway done, 60 out of 121 inserted.

In this picture only one sleeve is stuffed, the rest are damp, but since then, they've all been stuffed. Now I get the pleasure of cleaning up the back:

(sorry for the Instagram pic)

Then I can finally get the leotard put together, then move on to the leggings! It's slow going, but I'm happy with how it looks so far.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

I bought a sewing machine last year for my then girlfriend, but we broke up pretty much right after that and I still have the machine. I just decided I'm going to try taking up sewing as a hobby. Wish me luck.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

fart simpson posted:

I bought a sewing machine last year for my then girlfriend, but we broke up pretty much right after that and I still have the machine. I just decided I'm going to try taking up sewing as a hobby. Wish me luck.

May the good spirits bless and guide you to proper thread tension.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Hi sewing thread. Last night a contractor broke what I believe is called the spool pin off of her cheap plastic sewing machine with 1000 buttons. (I read the OP.) I'm curious how easy it is to repair. The videos I'm finding do not show the same failure mode. Ignore the arrows, this is how we found it.

In a stroke of irony my wife broker her serger over the weekend. This is all mid costume which needs to be done by Saturday for a local fall festival where she must show off both baby and craftyness.

Funhilde
Jun 1, 2011

Cats Love Me.
Maybe just get a thread stand to set up next to the machine. The plastic ones at Joanns are mostly useless but could probably work in a pinch.

Fru Fru
Sep 14, 2007
We're gonna need a bigger boat...and some water.

Funhilde posted:

Maybe just get a thread stand to set up next to the machine. The plastic ones at Joanns are mostly useless but could probably work in a pinch.

Or do that pinterest solution of mug + paperclip. I have never tried this but it shows up all the time in my feed so who knows if it works.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Funhilde posted:

Fru Fru posted:

Or do that pinterest solution of mug + paperclip. I have never tried this but it shows up all the time in my feed so who knows if it works.

Thanks, I've relayed these suggestions. I actually came across the mug thing while googling what the plastic piece is called. I realized I forgot the model baby wrangling while posting: Brother CS5055PRW why yes PRW does stand for project runway.

https://www.amazon.com/Brother-Project-CS5055PRW-Electric-Machine/dp/B005GXPOCK
http://www.sewingpartsonline.com/spool-pin-brother-xe6425101.aspx

I just haven't found a instructional video on how to actually get that sucker out. Everything else is involving a drill, dremel, and basically re-tapping the pin part which isn't what broke.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

H110Hawk posted:

Thanks, I've relayed these suggestions. I actually came across the mug thing while googling what the plastic piece is called. I realized I forgot the model baby wrangling while posting: Brother CS5055PRW why yes PRW does stand for project runway.

https://www.amazon.com/Brother-Project-CS5055PRW-Electric-Machine/dp/B005GXPOCK
http://www.sewingpartsonline.com/spool-pin-brother-xe6425101.aspx

I just haven't found a instructional video on how to actually get that sucker out. Everything else is involving a drill, dremel, and basically re-tapping the pin part which isn't what broke.

Honestly, this is not worth your time. You can take that case apart and hopefully get it back together without breaking or loving up something else, or you could just invest in a thread stand and get on with your life.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Trip report the company just bought us a new sewing machine overnighted from Amazon. All is well in the world. I was sort of hoping it would be "easy" to replace the little plastic bit as it looks so close to being able to just pop out. One cheap plastic sewing machine with missing spool pin coming soon to a craigslist near you! Thanks for the help.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

there wolf posted:

May the good spirits bless and guide you to proper thread tension.

Thanks. I managed to set up the sewing machine and figure out how to correctly wind a bobbin and thread it and practiced some stitches on some scrap fabric. I haven't actually made anything yet but I'm already having fun. My cat is fascinated by the machine too but I don't want her to get too close because I'm worried she'll stick her paw under the needle and also she keeps trying to pull and chew on the lines of thread.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
Very important to have a cat help you sew.

Funhilde
Jun 1, 2011

Cats Love Me.

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

Very important to have a cat help you sew.

Goldaline
Dec 21, 2006

my dear

I am becoming the cactus man...

HodjasBitch
Apr 24, 2003

Too bad you revealed what a huge asshole you are so early in the game.....I woulda put out.
Fun Shoe
Sweet!

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

When would you want to use zigzag instead of straight stitching? I'm reading that zigzags can stretch a bit but other than that is there any specific reason?

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

fart simpson posted:

When would you want to use zigzag instead of straight stitching? I'm reading that zigzags can stretch a bit but other than that is there any specific reason?

You are underestimating the value of stretch, my friend. If you're working with stretch fabric like knits, you need to use some kind of zigzag to accommodate the stretching of your fabric. A straight stitch will just get you puckers and weird bunching on anything but the oldest t-shirts. Zig-Zag is also good for applique where you don't want a rough edge, and just for decoration.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

I'm not trying to downplay the value of it, I'm just asking if there are additional uses for zigzag stitching. I'm very aware that I don't know enough to form opinions on usefulness or anything.

Funhilde
Jun 1, 2011

Cats Love Me.

fart simpson posted:

I'm not trying to downplay the value of it, I'm just asking if there are additional uses for zigzag stitching. I'm very aware that I don't know enough to form opinions on usefulness or anything.

It can be decorative in addition to stretchable. It can also be used to finish seams to try to keep them from unraveling. Mostly it is useful for sewing knits and other stretch fabrics to allow for some give to the seam.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

I assume that a longer and narrower zigzags give less stretch, and shorter and wider give more stretch? Is that correct?

Funhilde
Jun 1, 2011

Cats Love Me.

fart simpson posted:

I assume that a longer and narrower zigzags give less stretch, and shorter and wider give more stretch? Is that correct?

Yeah I'm pretty sure that is true.

Goldaline
Dec 21, 2006

my dear
I use it a ton for all my weird appliques, plus things like buttonholes, bartacks, and attaching belt loops. If you're even thinking of touchīng a piece of spandex, the zig zag becomes your best friend.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Goldaline posted:

I use it a ton for all my weird appliques, plus things like buttonholes, bartacks, and attaching belt loops. If you're even thinking of touchīng a piece of spandex, the zig zag becomes your best friend.

I saw a tutorial somewhere that showed the difference between a regular presser foot and a walking foot for zigzags on knits. The walking foot made it almost as flat as a professionally serged seam. Is it possible to get that result on a regular machine with a standard foot?

I keep trying on knits and I'm sure it takes practice, but I can't figure out what to actually do to improve my results.

Goldaline
Dec 21, 2006

my dear

NancyPants posted:

I saw a tutorial somewhere that showed the difference between a regular presser foot and a walking foot for zigzags on knits. The walking foot made it almost as flat as a professionally serged seam. Is it possible to get that result on a regular machine with a standard foot?

I keep trying on knits and I'm sure it takes practice, but I can't figure out what to actually do to improve my results.

I don't have a walking foot, so I can't speak to that. But, if you're having a problem with your machine "dragging" knits around when you zig zag them, you might want to make sure your presser foot pressure is much lower than when you're sewing wovens. And for edge finishes/putting my pieces together, I do use a serger, a zig zag never seemed sturdy enough for me.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

NancyPants posted:

Probably not. The walking foot is preventing the fabric from stretching as it gets pulled by the feed dogs. Might be worth investing in one if you really want to work with knits or anything stretchy or very heavy. I've been doing fidget bracelets with minky on the back and it'd be a nightmare with a regular foot.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Thanks for the input, I'm happy to invest in one. The internet had me thinking it would be possible with a regular foot and I was just Not A Good Sew-er (which is likely the case but maybe not on this subject :v: )

Night Witch
Jul 20, 2015

Katya, my dear, we will live long.
The difference between sewing knits with and without a walking foot was like night and day for me on my 1977 Kenmore. I felt like I had better control of my fabric and that it wouldn't do as much weird stuff with the walking foot. I was having trouble finding all the feet that I wanted for my Kenmore so when a used Pfaff with dual feed showed up on ebay, I snatched it up.

I've been sewing for about a year and am mostly self-taught. Do people prefer using a zig-zag or the triple straight stitch for knits? I've been using the triple straight stitch but it is such a pain to pick out when I make a mistake. I've also used a knit overcast stitch for seams to give it a finished look, but are there problems with using an overcast stitch for garment construction?

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
I always use a zigzag. You can always run some kind of straight stitch over it to make it more secure since the zigzag stabilizes the fabric in the seam.

Funhilde
Jun 1, 2011

Cats Love Me.
I didn't take any full pictures but I finished this dress today.

Funhilde
Jun 1, 2011

Cats Love Me.
I've made 9 costumes this year for Halloween and have 3 more to go. All I really want to do is make myself a swimsuit to wear on an upcoming vacation

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Sweet, I just found out there's a 60,000 square meter fabric market about a 15 minute walk down the street from me that I never really noticed before. I'm going there ASAP.

Micomicona
Aug 7, 2007

Funhilde posted:

oh my goshhh beautiful!

Funhilde
Jun 1, 2011

Cats Love Me.

Micomicona posted:

oh my goshhh beautiful!

Thanks. I didn't get a picture of it after sewing on the trim at the neck so hopefully my client sends me one.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Funhilde posted:

I was going to ask if it was Melisandre, but I guess the cut is wrong. I feel like I've come across a million of those this year and now I see it in any red dress. Anyone else doing some Halloween sewing? All I've done is a gnome hat, so nothing worth showing off.

Funhilde
Jun 1, 2011

Cats Love Me.
My list-
Prince, Kyary Pamyu Pamyu(kid),Sock Monkey(toddler),PeeWee(toddler),NHL Ice Girl,Dragon, Miss Yvonne,Totoro,Renaissance princess (the red dress), Black Cat(kid), Blue pixilated khakis

Micomicona
Aug 7, 2007
god help me but I started another quilt. On the stove are: Handquilted queen size bowtie quilt, currently in the quilting stage (NEVER AGAIN): sympathetic magic US Election embroidered state bird quilt, currently embroidering the birds; and our newest contender, scrappy cathedral window quilt (which I ave justified as using up all of my random scraps of pattern fabric). OH YEAH and there's a small paper pieced hex quilt that has been set aside for a super long time now :(

I need to actually finish something. Or at least stop starting new things :(

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Micomicona posted:

god help me but I started another quilt. On the stove are: Handquilted queen size bowtie quilt, currently in the quilting stage (NEVER AGAIN): sympathetic magic US Election embroidered state bird quilt, currently embroidering the birds; and our newest contender, scrappy cathedral window quilt (which I ave justified as using up all of my random scraps of pattern fabric). OH YEAH and there's a small paper pieced hex quilt that has been set aside for a super long time now :(

I need to actually finish something. Or at least stop starting new things :(

The dreaded UFO pile. I used to have a rule where I had to alternate new and old projects. Worked pretty well, except now I have a pile of stuff that needs quilting. I should probably just give up and let a long-armer handle it, but that also takes effort...

Princess Tutu
Aug 17, 2013

Funhilde posted:

My list-
Prince, Kyary Pamyu Pamyu(kid),Sock Monkey(toddler),PeeWee(toddler),NHL Ice Girl,Dragon, Miss Yvonne,Totoro,Renaissance princess (the red dress), Black Cat(kid), Blue pixilated khakis

I... made a moogle suit for my toddler.

Are you a professional seamstress, Funhilde? Because I struggle to get a few projects done a year, let alone all that in one season.

evelynevvie
Sep 14, 2004

I'll fry you like a fritter! Crispy on the outside... chewy on the inside!!!

I have a sewing machine question. My sister bought a Singer Tradition machine recently and we're both trying to learn on it. We're having trouble because it keeps jamming up, the thread is tangling in the machine and we don't know enough to tell if we're doing something wrong, or if it's broken.
I suspect, after some googling that it's us. I've noticed just now that the top thread is pulling up into the machine if I don't hold it.
We're just sewing on little scraps of cloth to practice, not attempting anything major.
Edit: the primary issue I'm having at the moment is the top thread being pulled up into the machine, unless I hold and pull it taut. Is that normal, or is something up?

evelynevvie fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Oct 30, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funhilde
Jun 1, 2011

Cats Love Me.

Princess Tutu posted:

I... made a moogle suit for my toddler.

Are you a professional seamstress, Funhilde? Because I struggle to get a few projects done a year, let alone all that in one season.

Yeah I'm a costume maker/seamstress

https://www.sewsmooth.net

Or
https://www.facebook.com/SewSmooth