Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

bongwizzard posted:

We throw our change into a gallon jug and when it's full we spend it on kitchen stuff. Last week it was full and I made an impassioned speech about getting a high-end toaster oven, but I failed. We did end up with that juicer that someone recommended a few pages ago and that thing is better build and more sturdy than the last drill press I bought. When the handle cams-over at the end of the stroke it's almost sexual.

What was the model, again? I'm tempted to get a juicer, particularly if it helps with arousal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

Thoht posted:

I'm not going to heat my oven up just to cook a couple pieces of loving bacon.

You cook the whole package, and reheat in a pan later. You also get perfect bacon every time.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

You cook the whole package, and reheat in a pan later. You also get perfect bacon every time.

That's even worse. How am I going to cook my eggs in freshly rendered bacon fat?

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

1redflag posted:

What was the model, again? I'm tempted to get a juicer, particularly if it helps with arousal.

Here you go:

Jupiter Large Commercial Juice Press, Black

I tried for like three minuets to come up with a lewd fake name for the juicer but everything was way to juvenile or crude.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Jan posted:

That's even worse. How am I going to cook my eggs in freshly rendered bacon fat?

Switch to lard, it lets you cook at a higher temp doesn't add the burned taste that bacon fat has. Or use ghee. The woman got really really great at making eggs with a runny/raw yoke but a set white with crispy edges all of the sudden one day. It was weeks later I discovered she was more or less flash frying them in like a 1/2" of almost smoking ghee. It is horrific fat abuse but man are they some good eggs.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

bongwizzard posted:

Switch to lard, it lets you cook at a higher temp doesn't add the burned taste that bacon fat has. Or use ghee. The woman got really really great at making eggs with a runny/raw yoke but a set white with crispy edges all of the sudden one day. It was weeks later I discovered she was more or less flash frying them in like a 1/2" of almost smoking ghee. It is horrific fat abuse but man are they some good eggs.

That's the Spanish method of frying eggs. It's absolutely amazing, and even better in ghee than oil. You can get the whites perfectly set, but with just-warmed yolk and super crispy lacy edges all around the egg, not just on the bottom. It's basically oil poaching.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Jan posted:

Or in all honesty, pour the fat into a mug and keep it on the counter. Cover it with something like a cloth so poo poo doesn't get in it. Keeps for like a month maybe? Not sure I throw any leftover out and keep a new batch the next time i make the superior oven bacon. Man there's nothing like being able to make a breakfast sandwich in like 1 minute thanks to oven bacon.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

That's the Spanish method of frying eggs. It's absolutely amazing, and even better in ghee than oil. You can get the whites perfectly set, but with just-warmed yolk and super crispy lacy edges all around the egg, not just on the bottom. It's basically oil poaching.

She went mad with egg-power at first and we had crispy eggs on everything. And found that almost everything is improved with crispy egg on top.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

bongwizzard posted:

almost everything is improved with crispy egg on top.

True statement

Bummer, I was hoping it wasn't a citrus only juicer. I'm looking for like apple and fennel and poo poo.

Edit: ugh. my phone just autocorrected "apple" to "Apple". The future we live in is weak.

Brother Tadger fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Oct 4, 2016

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

E. Double post

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

door Door door posted:

In related Kitchenaid news, I looked at some of the pasta attachments and holy poo poo are they expensive.

This is true. I was thinking the pasta maker might help justify the expensive mixer, but nope.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
We got one as a gift and just used it for the first time last week. It seems
to work pretty well, but holy poo poo does putting my fingers right next to the moving rollers weird me out. Which is odd as my youth was spent stoned with power tools, but maybe making it almost to 40 with all my fingers has made me a sissy.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Ahh, feels good to finally have access to a kitchen. To celebrate I decided to finally get some of the kitchen supplies I've been ogling. The only thing is that I don't have a lot of counter space, so I'm looking into folding tables to give me more room. Can anyone recommend a small folding table that is sturdy enough to do some cooking on? Preferably one at standard counter height.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I'd look for a butcher block instead. I have a fold-able one that I got from Home Goods.

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grandpa Cthulu needs his napping chair

Grimey Drawer

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Two pieces of bacon at a time? Microwaves? Might I suggest the perfect cookbook...

She has a look of defeat on her face.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Two pieces of bacon at a time? Microwaves? Might I suggest the perfect cookbook...

lol just look at this fat gently caress, dinner for one :smh:

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Microwaved...milkshake?

(I get this is a joke)

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
I need to finally get a wood cutting board, and the nicer ones range from 1.5-3.5" thick, are there any cons to getting a thicker board?

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme

BraveUlysses posted:

I need to finally get a wood cutting board, and the nicer ones range from 1.5-3.5" thick, are there any cons to getting a thicker board?

Besides being heavy as gently caress and unwieldy? Sometimes the reservoirs give off foul odors or don't have enough capacity on any thickness. Cook's Illustrated went with two JK Adams maple boards, the reversible winning out in capacity, both are under 6 lbs and $70. No other boards out of the dozen or so they tested got recommendations. Personally I'm happy with lovely plastic ones but CI's recs are legit as poo poo in my experience.

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
My most recent 'I spent way too much on this' kitchen purchase was a Deoria Made cutting board. It's thick as hell but it has little rubber feet which make it much easier to move around because you can get your fingers underneath it. The downside is that it's not reversible. I do not regret this purchase.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

SHUPS 4 DETH posted:

Besides being heavy as gently caress and unwieldy? Sometimes the reservoirs give off foul odors or don't have enough capacity on any thickness. Cook's Illustrated went with two JK Adams maple boards, the reversible winning out in capacity, both are under 6 lbs and $70. No other boards out of the dozen or so they tested got recommendations. Personally I'm happy with lovely plastic ones but CI's recs are legit as poo poo in my experience.

That review was for carving boards. For general purpose wood cutting boards they do also recommend Proteak or John Boos

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I like my large Boos, but it's heavy and when I had less counter space it was awkward. It also has a stain from some water pooling on it for a week while I was traveling, which I'm not sure how to get out, but that's hardly the board's fault.

Confession: I haven't oiled it in long enough that I've forgotten what I used. How are people caring for their wood boards.

E: how is a carving board different from a regular board?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Subjunctive posted:

I like my large Boos, but it's heavy and when I had less counter space it was awkward. It also has a stain from some water pooling on it for a week while I was traveling, which I'm not sure how to get out, but that's hardly the board's fault.

Confession: I haven't oiled it in long enough that I've forgotten what I used. How are people caring for their wood boards.

E: how is a carving board different from a regular board?

I have a bottle of stuff that's just called "cutting board oil" or something. Might just be mineral oil? Here's some from Williams Sonoma that's not as horribly overpriced as one would expect http://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/6121370/

I think a carving board is bigger and has a channel(s) for drippings whereas a regular board will just be smooth.

copen
Feb 2, 2003
It is just mineral oil, can get big bottles of the stuff in the pharmacy area of most wal-marts or walgreens or probably the internet.

http://www.cvs.com/shop/health-medicine/digestive-health/fiber-laxatives/cvs-health-mineral-oil-usp-lubricant-laxative-prodid-1011823

For a pint, not much more for a quart. The downside is you have to buy something called lubricant/laxative.

Edit: make sure you buy stuff that is labeled USP or food grade.

copen fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Oct 7, 2016

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Nabokoffin posted:

It is just mineral oil, can get big bottles of the stuff in the pharmacy area of most wal-marts or walgreens or probably the internet.

http://www.cvs.com/shop/health-medicine/digestive-health/fiber-laxatives/cvs-health-mineral-oil-usp-lubricant-laxative-prodid-1011823

For a pint, not much more for a quart. The downside is you have to buy something called lubricant/laxative.

Edit: make sure you buy stuff that is labeled USP or food grade.

Yes. Food grade mineral oil. I looked into the what's in John Boos oil and it's food grade mineral oil with some wax (I think the description is hidden somewhere on their website?) so I wouldn't bother spending a ton of money on special board oils.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Ikea also sells an oil for wooden cutting boards in the kitchen supplies section.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

This thread has made me realise how much we get shafted in the UK for poo poo. I just paid £400 for a KA stand mixer :negative:

Does anyone have any ideas for the following pieces of equipment.

Indoor smoker setup of some kind?

Dehydrator.

Me and the mrs have decided to cook some Alinea recipes and this seems to be the 2 things we currently lack and I'm struggling to find useful info online. Cheers!

mich
Feb 28, 2003
I may be racist but I'm the good kind of racist! You better put down those chopsticks, you HITLER!
Man, I've had my Artisan for 11 years and it's still going strong and has been used for hundreds and hundreds of flour worth of bread, cakes, and cookies and hundreds of egg whites worth of meringue based icings. I prefer having a tilt head for processes that require adding ingredients at various steps in time though I guess they make bowl attachment things to help with that if you have a bowl lift.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!
It looks like. Costco las stopped selling the weird version of the bowl lift with the bowl that doesn't work with accessories. Standard kp26m9x sighted today with normal looking bowl, 329. So tempting if I didn't have an NYC kitchen .

JBark
Jun 27, 2000
Good passwords are a good idea.

Bape Culture posted:

This thread has made me realise how much we get shafted in the UK for poo poo. I just paid £400 for a KA stand mixer :negative:

Yep, a decent sale price on the tilt head Artisan here in Oz is ~$650AUD, which is £400. Usually retails for around $800 or so if you're not shopping around.

A friend of ours moved back to the States a few years back, and was like "want any of my kitchen stuff?" We take a look at it's all Kitchenaid/Oxo/Microplane poo poo that costs a fortune here. Her ex bought it all as gifts, and she had no idea how expensive is was, so we snagged as much of that before anyone else got a chance. Had to have been well over a grand worth of stuff.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
My KitchenAid food processor broke last night for the second time in 3 years. The safety latch that secures the bowl onto the machine broke yet again, and each time Kitchenaid has the nerve to charge me $45 plus shipping to get a new one.

Should I fork over like $160 for a food processor or just get one of the cheaper $~70 ones? I use it to make pie dough, shred cabbage uniformly for sauerkraut, and sometimes stuff like pesto.

This one was a gift to me from my brother and I think it was like $75. Kitchenaid makes some shoddy poo poo these days.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

The new WiFi and Bluetooth Anova is on Amazon for $169 right now.

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grimey Drawer

mich posted:

Man, I've had my Artisan for 11 years and it's still going strong and has been used for hundreds and hundreds of flour worth of bread, cakes, and cookies and hundreds of egg whites worth of meringue based icings. I prefer having a tilt head for processes that require adding ingredients at various steps in time though I guess they make bowl attachment things to help with that if you have a bowl lift.

My googling must be off, I can't find the attachment for a bowl with a bowl lift. I have the bowl lift and would kill for an attachment that helps add ingredients. Any help?

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Flaggy posted:

My googling must be off, I can't find the attachment for a bowl with a bowl lift. I have the bowl lift and would kill for an attachment that helps add ingredients. Any help?

Pour shield is what you're thinking of. Make sure you find the right one for your model KitchenAid.

TATPants
Mar 28, 2011

Pour shield is what you're thinking of. Make sure you find the right one for your model KitchenAid.

This is the accessory that came with the bowl lift model, but it does not help much with adding ingredients. I found that the spout is too short to be useful.

Use the Alton Brown method, instead. Put your ingredients on a paper plate, fold it, then shake/tap the plate to drop your goods into the bowl.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

I'm pretty sure it's supposed to come with the mixer? At least, mine did. I never use it because as TATPants says, it's a pain in the rear end to use. I just stop mixing, tilt the head back and add things as I need to.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

I've been avoiding oxo for so long and I'm not entirely sure why, but now that most of my equipment is oxo my life is so much easier. Those measuring cups that snap together are so awesome, I don't know how I'll go back to regular cups.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme

Verisimilidude posted:

I've been avoiding oxo for so long and I'm not entirely sure why, but now that most of my equipment is oxo my life is so much easier. Those measuring cups that snap together are so awesome, I don't know how I'll go back to regular cups.

I don't know why either. OXO is what I buy when I'm not sure what to buy and i've never regretted it. They're often the best-designed and least expensive products available (without going dirt-cheap or grocery store-brand poo poo anyway).

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Awesome. Thanks.

Jan posted:

I'm pretty sure it's supposed to come with the mixer? At least, mine did. I never use it because as TATPants says, it's a pain in the rear end to use. I just stop mixing, tilt the head back and add things as I need to.

I don't believe I got one with my mixer. Bought a refurb from Kitchnaid, might have to check the box though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wontondestruction
Dec 3, 2012

I'm a piece of human waste who supports a culture of using gendered slurs, that leads to 78.1% of women in STEM fields experiencing sexual harassment

1redflag posted:

True statement

Bummer, I was hoping it wasn't a citrus only juicer. I'm looking for like apple and fennel and poo poo.

Edit: ugh. my phone just autocorrected "apple" to "Apple". The future we live in is weak.

I use this: http://www.williams-sonoma.com/prod...c=PRODUCTSEARCH

I have been juicing for about 5 years, and this machine is fantastic. No fast-spin heating or the associated waste. It's basically a home cold press juicer. My major ingredients
are turmeric, ginger, citrus, kale, carrot and celery. The yield is incredible, such that you can make 6-8 oz for about $1.50 of material.

I can't recommend it enough.